Ch12: Radiance, P1
66 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12: Radiance (1)

~12.1~

*****

“So, Evelyn, enjoying a vacation?” Hannah asked.

“Yes. The Atlas World Resort is wonderful. You’ve made this place into quite a paradise!”

Kye and company sat near Evelyn after they ordered their food. They were waiting for their order number to be called while chatting it up. Johnathan and Joseph returned, since Allison was done with them. They quietly ordered and sat at a nearby table.

She almost never shows up in a world unless it’s bad news. Kye was nervous in front of Evelyn.

What did we even do? Alethea did everything she could to avoid looking at Evelyn.

“You know I can hear you, right?” Evelyn smiled at the two as she continued her conversation with Hannah and the others while starting another conversation with Kye and Alethea telepathically.

“So, why are you here?” Kye asked.

“I don’t have any company left. Azalea, Kaede, Ariel, Adriel, and Anna are in this world now, and I didn’t want to stay by myself.” She shot them a smile in the middle of her other conversation. “Actually, that’s just an excuse. I’ve had an identity in this world for quite some time.”

“Uh, huh? So, why was Maya born a boy? That’s awful.”

“I didn’t decide that. That’s just how it worked out.”

“I don’t like that answer.”

“I’m sorry, Elysia, but that’s the truth. It wasn’t planned, it was just how things worked out. Same as with Adele.”

“Well, fine. So, who are you in this world, exactly?”

“Evelyn Barrett, mother of Magic King Edward.”

“Ah, you’re that Evelyn. So, we’re relatives. If you’re Edward’s mother, why aren’t you considered a founder? I’m aware of all nine founders and every royal and noble from that time.”

“Just look through Astraia’s memories. You’ll find the answer.”

“Hmm...”

An image came forth in Kye’s mind of Edward kneeling before Atalante, asking to bring his family to Atlantis in 2024 out of fear for their safety on the planet’s surface. “Please, allow my mother and my son’s family to join us here in Atlantis. They will not serve as a distraction. In fact, I would say I am more distracted now worrying about their safety.”

“Sister, perhaps we should,” said Astraia. “All nine Paragon members are invaluable. We should help them.”

“I agree, sister,” said Astarte. “Mental health is as important as physical health. They’ll suffer if we leave their families on the surface.”

“Indeed,” said Atalante. “Very well. Edward, we will bring all surviving members of your and your colleagues’ families to Atlantis.”

Kye opened her eyes after watching the memory. She hadn’t peered into Astraia’s soul much yet and was hesitant to do so. Astraia gave her a sympathetic smile after she opened her eyes. The soul-bond was a two-way street. Either party could tell when the other looked.

“I see.”

“Elysia, you should talk to Astraia more. She’s a very kind woman and cares greatly about you and Maya, and not because of your power. She cares for you because she sympathizes with your experiences. She knows tragedy. Those sisters have lived longer than anyone else in this world and have seen both a natural and a man-made extinction level event. Maya, Astarte is no different. And don’t leave Atalante out!”

Kye and Alethea looked at each other. While they had soul-bonded with the Atlantis sisters, they had known them for years before.

“Have we really not gotten to know them that well?” Kye asked. “They’ve been taking care of you since the day you were born, and me since we found each other ten years ago. Astraia would always make oreo milkshakes for me. She knew how much I liked them.”

Alethea didn’t say anything, but Evelyn continued, “They have gotten to know you quite well, but how well do you know them? What milkshake does Astraia prefer? What time of day does Astarte wake up? What does Atalante do every night before bed?”

Kye grimaced. “That last one I know very well.” She didn’t say anything else about it, electing to move on. “But... you’re right.” She looked up at Astraia. “I don’t actually know what her favorite is.”

Evelyn shot them another smile. “Do not worry. They love you very much and will not hold it against you. I’m sure they’ll be thrilled if you try to learn more about them.”

Alethea smiled at the thought, “We’ve been so focused on growing than we’ve missed a lot. I don’t think I even know what Liliana’s favorite food is, or what Aliana’s favorite drink is, but they certainly know mine.”

“I believe you would find quite a bit of happiness learning more about your loved ones. Look at how many are here with you. Eli, you went out of your way to invite Akane because you felt bad that Zen rarely went to visit her. You made her very happy just by thinking of her.”

“Have I really become so indifferent to mortal lives?” Though she said it telepathically, Kye was asking only herself. “...when was the last time I lived for more than just the mission?”

“I... I think...” Alethea felt a tear running down her face. She reached for it, saying, “What?” Each soon felt a warm hand on their backs. The vocal conversation had paused. Everyone noticed, not just Astarte and Astraia. Alethea looked up at Astarte, her tears flowing freely. Astarte pulled her in and held her while she let it out.

Kye felt a napkin on her face. Astraia wiped away a tear Kye didn’t even realize was there. Kye looked up at her warm smile. Another tear replaced the one Astraia had just wiped away. Unable to hold herself back any longer, Kye began to cry as well, Astraia holding her close just as Astarte did with Alethea.

*****

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Astraia asked. “If you want to go back to the hotel, I will accompany you.”

Kye gave her an apologetic smile. “Thank you, but I’m fine now.” She looked at Alethea. “I think I got what I needed.”

“Mhm!” Her pink-haired partner nodded with a smile. Adele and Michelle exchanged smiles, but stayed quiet.

“Well, okay, if you’re sure.”

“Thank you, Kari.”

Kye smiled, and they continued chatting for a while. Liliana and Aliana smiled warmly, watching Kye and Alethea properly enjoy everyone’s company, each thinking, Princess, I am so happy you have found this measure of peace.

“Thank you for looking after Elysia.”

“You can hear me?” Liliana recognized the voice. Evelyn spoke directly to her.

“You, too, Lily?” came Aliana’s mental voice. Both were looking at Evelyn.

“You have telepathy?” Liliana asked. “And you know of Princess’s past?”

“Elysia has shown you a great many things about her true being, including times she has met with me between her lives. You know who I am.”

“It’s true, Lily,” Aliana said. “Her hair is not the myriad of colors here, but she is still unmistakable. Lady Evelyn Barrett is none other than Lady Eve the Primordial.”

“You may refer to me as Eve or Evelyn, whichever you wish. The two of you have welcomed Elysia far more than any other mortals. In fact...” Evelyn snapped her fingers, and the world suddenly lost its color. Everyone aside from her, the immortals, the Atlantis sisters, and the Venturi sisters were frozen in the colorless world. Evelyn waved her hand in front of the small group left unfrozen and the scenery changed, warped as if erased from existence. The group soon found themselves standing on a circular platform of white stone, and Evelyn’s purple hair and purple eyes gained a variety of colors.

“I wish to speak to all of you together briefly, so I paused the world.” Eve sat upon her white stone throne and crossed her legs. Her outfit changed from the beach attire she was wearing to a simple white summer dress.

“What is this?” Liliana asked.

“Welcome to the Nexus.”

Liliana, Aliana, Astarte, and Astraia looked around at the vast expanse of stars.

“It’s beautiful...” Aliana mumbled to herself as she gazed out.

“So,” Eve said as she leaned to one side and propped her head up with her hand. “I wanted to personally thank all of you for taking care of my girls here.” She gestured at Kye, Alethea, Adele, and Michelle with her other hand.

“Your girls?” Liliana asked.

“Yes, they are among my first children. Eli has mentioned the ninety-nine to you at some point.”

Alfia walked over to the throne and stood next to Eve. “It’s time, then?”

Eve nodded.

“Time?” Kye asked.

“Maya, Adele, Adara, do you three recall any of your time as mortals long ago? Not after your transmigrations, but when you were children in Athas.”

They glanced between themselves and each nodded.

“So far, I have made all of my original ninety-nine experience mortality before granting them immortality.” Eve glanced at each of the mortals. “And, although Alfia and my sons are not among the ninety-nine, they also experienced mortality and have grown into powerful immortals.” She eyed Alfia. “You especially.”

“Speaking of Azriel and Ezra,” Kye said. “Is one of them to blame for that monster Shiro Shikigami’s release from Eden?”

Eve nodded. “That’s right. Azriel released him some time ago.”

“Is he the entity you sent us there to eliminate?” Alethea asked.

“I cannot say.”

“But you’re not denying it,” Alethea said.

“You know very well that me not denying something does not mean I am confirming it. I simply am giving you no hints either direction.”

Kye sighed. “Why can’t you ever give a proper answer?”

“Some things you must discover on your own, you know that.”

“I don’t have to like it...”

Eve nodded. “Indeed.” Kye turned to Alethea, then glanced between the others. If this was all Eve meant to tell them, why did she freeze their world and pull them into the Nexus? As the question was about to escape Kye’s lips, Eve answered ahead of her. “I gave you everything when I sent you to your current world. I had hoped you would realize by now... you are still restraining yourself.”

*****

Revision: 2024-2-10

A/N: Advanced Chapters are now available on Patreon! See profile for links!

2