Mage 1
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Voices rang out in the darkness, an angry guttural language that I have yet to pick up and don’t intend to try to now. They must have found Auldwyn's body underneath the old tree a few miles back. I knew I didn’t cover it well enough, but the frozen ground and dirty snow didn’t leave much to work with. I debate whether or not to move. My current hiding spot is warm and relatively well hidden, the hollow in the tree the best luck I’ve had in some time. The baying of hounds makes the decision for me.

Time to go now, need to put some distance between us. My body protests the sudden movement, a few hours sleep not enough to recover what the last few weeks have put it through. Better hurt than dead, though, so I push out and set off at an unsteady hobble. Stiff joints loosen up and blood begins to flow at the now familiar exercise. Cresting yet another godsforsaken hill an outcropping of rock catches my foot and send me sprawling down the other side. Bitten off curses lay dead in my mouth as I scramble back to my feet and try to increase the pace yet again.

Hunting calls seem so near now, snarls and barks becoming more frequent. I won’t be able to outrun this group, the third such this span. I’ll have to make my stand soon, and the thought almost causes my brain to revolt. Spying an overhang and shallow cave, I tuck myself in there and begin my preparations from my overtaxed supplies. Bags of crystal powder and rock salt create me a small circle, the tip of a small wand glowing in pulses, tattoos visible on my hands matching in sync. Words spill unbidden from my lips, the arcane familiar unfamiliarity straining at the edges of my conscious mind. Meaning seems to enter and immediately leave my thoughts, flowing like water through a sieve, leaving an impression with no substance. Unfocused eyes stare at the clearing, waiting for…something.

The hounds come first, lithe hunting dogs all sinew and snapping jaws. Following them are snarling warbeasts, the spittle flecking their muzzles and breath steaming the air, muscles bulging and flanks heaving for the kill. My trembling hands move unbidden, swiping the wand in a semi circle in front of me. Unseen force catches the leaping dogs midair, sending them unerring against the trees with sickening force. Pained whimpers sound all around me, the rest of the packs circling nervously around me.

Soldiers burst through the trees, arcane light reflecting off the spearheads and shields. Wariness overcomes their movements as they observe the downed beasts. They group up, shields overlapping and spears thrust forwards. A sound tactic in most situations; a suicidal one in this one. The tip of my wand moves gracefully, delicately, an artists brush painting small streaks of light in the cold night air. Beautiful, I thought offhandedly, my body still moving independently of my thoughts. A burst of motion lit forth from my arms, staccato movement towards the grouped men and beast beset against me. Each sent one of the lines streaking through the formation.

Metal rent as easy as flesh and bone, and screams split the air. Men near the rear broke and took flight, collapsing as the light smote them. Escape was not an option, and rage drove me to make sure none left the clearing alive. Once only a single heartbeat remained, I forced my foot to kick forward and break the small circle of dust. The light winked out immediately, extinguished without a source to pull from. Blood dripped from my hands, the skin split and raw. Tears mixed with the blood streaming from my eyes, and my body was wracked with pain as I took great heaving breaths, trying to force air into my lungs. My heart beat out a military rhythm in my chest, and darkness began creeping into my vision.

With legs collapsing I tucked myself into the small crevasse of the cave, attempting to hide myself as best as I could. Consciousness fading, only one thought crossed my mind. I hope I wake up again this time.

0