Chapter I: A Regular Day
675 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been several months since waking up here. Xin Lin was now used to not seeing familiar faces, familiar sights. There was no internet, no WiFi and no running water. And while dissatisfied with so many things, Xin Lin couldn't help but feel somewhat content in his heart; there was no hurry here. The peace enveloped him like a mantle and thawed the ice cold heart in his chest. The scars of the past he thought would never heal, ever so slowly unraveled themselves.

Sitting in the kitchen courtyard and shelling peanuts, Xin Lin let out a sigh of contentment. Before, in his past life, Xin Lin had spent some time on a farm, and though it was unlike what he now experienced, he was grateful to not be totally useless. When he woke up here he became the son of some humble farmers. It was a simple life, and it brought him comfort. This was the first time he had felt familial love, so when the family met financial crises he went to the capitol looking for work, to send money back when he made any. On his way there, he met an injured servant of the Jun Wangfu and helped him. When he finally made it to the capitol together, the servant helped him get a job in the Wangfu’s kitchens.

In the first few weeks as servant here he had made so many mistakes… but thankfully the mistress of the kitchen was kind. She had given him opportunities to learn. Now Xin Lin enjoyed it. He had already let go of his past regrets and looked forward to the future. He didn't have to struggle for the inheritance anymore, didn't have to watch his back for assassins any more… there was happiness in this.

Nowadays Xin Lin was quick with his hands and feet, pleasing the kitchen mistress greatly. She gave him more food at meals and started treating him like a son. It was somewhat embarrassing, and made Xin Lin feel awkward, but his heart felt strangely at ease. 

Xin Lin had only been in this body for half a year and it had just turned 16. It felt strange to be a teenager again, but he also wanted this kind of fresh start. His face was clean and had good features, he could even be considered a beauty. That coupled with his obedience and cordiality endeared him to his peers, and the people in the kitchen began doting on him in their quirky ways.

After shelling all the peanuts in the barrel, Xin Lin walked into the kitchen and was greeted with the fragrant smell of baozi. He breathed in deeply and complimented, “Dage keeps getting better at cooking, even smelling it makes me hungry.”

“You smelly brat, when did you learn to flatter?” A great burly man stood over the fire, tossing this there, spicing that there.

“A-Lin only becomes eloquent when he’s hungry!” A small servant girl giggled teasingly.

Xin Lin laughed along good-naturedly. “Naturally, in order to get the best food you must butter up the cook.”

Dage snorted, the servant girl smiled. “You heard A-Lin, dage be sure to give him the most delicious baozi when the time comes.” She nodded her head in mock seriousness.

“I won't forget, he and you remind me so often.” They all shared a laugh.

Just then the kitchen mistress walked in and started ordering the staff to do their work. “A-Lin, go with Xiao Hua to bring these dishes to the masters, Wangye has guests today.” Xiao Hua was the servant girl who teased Xin Lin. Their relationship seemed almost like blood-related siblings.

Tidying his appearance, Xin Lin took some trays and complied with a smile at Xiao Hua. Before entering the formal dining hall of the manor, both servants calmed themselves and conducted themselves with the deportment the Jun Wang manor required. Xin Lin’s exquisite face gained a solemn air, and Xiao Hua’s tiny dimples disappeared and her calm face seemed gentle.

Sweeping into the hall they quickly and respectfully set the trays on the tables before the masters. Then they retreated a respectful distance to be ordered. Xin Lin looked on the proceedings with little to no interest, while Xiao Hua tried to conceal her eagerness with lidded eyes. Staring intently at Wangye’s guest with an almost smiling expression. Anyone with half a brain could see she had a crush on Wangye’s friend, Jiang Xian Gongzi.

Wangye sat at his seat listening intently to his sworn brother’s talk of business, both of them forgetting to touch their food.

“Xiao Jing, your idea for the lotus pond in the restaurant courtyard was really played well. Everyone compliments it when they eat. The sales have gotten steady lately.” Jiang Xian Gongzi sipped his tea. He was a refined man with a scholarly air. His features held a gentle masculinity, very pleasing to look at.

“En,” Wangye’s handsome and outstanding face was thoughtful, sharp brows lightly knit. “I doubt you came to regale me with your business exploits. Speak, as brothers we need not stick to courtesy.”

“Hahaha, Xiao Jing knows me so well, I can never hide from you.” Jiang Xian leaned back leisurely, a striking languid pose that was quite alluring. Jun Wang looked at the steam wafting from his own cup. Xiao Hua’s eyes sparkled, Xin Lin glanced at her from the corner of his eye, wondering.

“The capitol is restless.” Letting his sentence hang in the air, Jiang Xian sipped his tea. Jun Wang raised an eyebrow. “The emperor is old, and the Crown Prince has been sick for a long time. Everyone is anxious.”

Jun Wang finally took a drink of his tea. “Imperial Father knows his ministers’ and the people’s fears.”

“Hm, but does he know their views? Can he see every corner that new danger lurks behind?”

Jun Wang waved the servants out, this wasn't for their ears. Xin Lin and Xiao Hua walked out, one unhurried, the other reluctant.

Once in the hall Xiao Hua heaved a sigh and smiled dazedly. “Don't you think Jiang Gongzi got even more breathtaking, ne a-lin?”

Xin Lin huffed quietly, preparing for her gushing. “He looks in good health.” he responded sedately.

“His eyelashes were so long! And his eyes were so limpid! His posture was just like a tempting fox! I love him!” she giggled again.

“En, I know you do.” Xin Lin looked at her with concern. With her station in life it was destined to be an unfulfilled love. As someone from the 21st century, he felt himself unreconciled. He wanted her to be happy. But he had no power, and no ambition to be her backer. Without it, she could only be heart-broken. He lamented to himself silently, while Xiao Hua continued talking.

When they reached the kitchen, Xin Lin was told to kill a few chickens for the smokehouse grandpa. He was getting on in his years and needed a little help every now and then. Without pause he went to the back courtyard and grabbed an axe, swinging it on his shoulder with ease. Despite his body only being 16 he was very healthy and looked older, seeming very mature. He went to the coop and scooped up a couple of chickens with dexterity. Bringing them to the chopping block, he quickly ended their squawking. Draining the blood into a basin, he reminisced. 

The first time killing a chicken made him sick to his stomach. He had preserved his dignity by not regurgitating his breakfast, but his face was green. He laughed lightly, remembering. Now it was nothing much, he no longer thought blood a suffocating smell and ignored it all together.

Taking the drained chickens he went to the smokehouse, where Grandpa Li was preparing the fire.

“Xiao lin, help this old man hang of this leg of lamb.” the old man grinned happily when he saw Xin Lin’s youthful silhouette. 

“Sure, grandpa.” Xin Lin smiled with his teeth and began to string up the various meats. Grandpa Li looked carefully at the different woods he chose for the fire in the smokehouse, ensuring their quality. They worked quickly and were soon feeding the greedy fire.

The sun was going down and the servants were finishing their tasks. Grandpa Li and Xin Lin had stoked the fire to burn overnight and went to retire.

“Aiyah! My back gets worse every year.” Grandpa Li patted his crooked back.

“Where does it hurt, I’ll message it.” Xin Lin gazed over worriedly, offering assistance.

“Ah, right there! I'm not young anymore.” Grandpa Li whined and griped about this and that as they made their way to the manservants’ quarters. By now the golden light of the sun was hidden beyond the horizon as the whole manor quieted for sleep.

Most of this is based on my half-assed knowledge of Chinese historical dramas/books, and the rest is my imagination so be aware it's not historically accurate. Constructive criticism welcome, but please don't be rude just to be rude.

14