Chapter VIII: Jing Shu’s Determination
353 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xi Ying rubbed his still sore nose and looked askance at Wangye. He regretted the action as soon as he’d done it, it hurt like hell! He quickly put his hand down and endured the lingering pain. The bluish purple of the bruise that dominated his face was quite comical. 

Jing Shu stood in the shadow of the viewing pavilion, and looked out at the training soldiers in the field. As he examined their movements and noted their progress, his mind began wandering. Ah, he truly missed the feeling of holding that person in his arms. With a start, Jing Shu realized what he had just thought. It was so inappropriate! Not to mention he was supposed to be working! His face went entirely red from embarrassment. It seemed simply ignoring his feelings was impossible.

Once again, Xi Ying looked at Wangye’s red face and groaned internally. Wangye had been acting like this all morning! It didn't matter if he was looking through memorials or writing out orders, practising martial arts or correcting others, he would be absent-minded and go red every once in a while. It didn't matter if he was in the presence of his war council, or had all his generals together for a review of the troops. All of Wangye’s subordinates saw it, and tacitly kept quiet when it happened. Some smiled knowingly, grinning at each other, while others grimaced and looked uncomfortable. After all, it wasn't everyday you’d see a love-struck Jun Wang.

But none of these people had to deal with insider information like Xi Ying. No, he was ‘special’ being the only one in the manor who was aware of Wangye’s affections for Xin Lin. He wasn't quite sure of the details, but apparently Wangye had already confessed. So now they should be acting out a lovey-dovey drama, only that seemed to be not the case?

Wangye never went to see Xin Lin in these past few days, at least to Xi Ying’s knowledge. He suspected it had something to do with the mess between Su Hong and them. And really, it made his blood boil. Not only for himself, but also for Wangye!

That day after he had woken up in his quarters, he really wanted to go directly and confront Su Hong and Xiao Hua, but Wangye had called for him and hadn't let him go until it was dark. By then everyone was asleep. The saddest part was being scolded for having an unsightly face! He hadn't asked to be punched, why was he being scolded?

Xi Ying felt he had truly suffered.

Jing Shu had long ago recovered his focus and was once again reviewing his manors guards. His brow furrowed when he found himself imagining Xin Lin walking over to the side of the training ground. He closed his eyes and counted to ten. When he opened them, Xin Lin was still there.

Wangye couldn't help but stare, why was he here? Looking intensely at that soft and beautiful face, Jing Shu noticed Xin Lin looking in a certain direction, and followed it with his eyes. Why was he staring at those two gate guards?! 


Xin Lin was in a bind. He had promised himself to speak to Wangye and clear things up quickly. There was only one problem, how was he supposed to approach Wangye? A kitchen hand like him, what business does he have talking to his lord? He wrung his hands together in anxiousness, what was he supposed to do?

He had heard today that Wangye was going to review the guards of Jun Manor, and thought of Su Hong. Xin Lin hadn't been able to talk to him all week, but he thought if anyone had the chance to talk to Wangye, it was Su-ge. He just needed to find him and ask.

So he went to the training grounds and waited at the side. The weather was cold today, as it was turning autumn, and as he waited Xin Lin rubbed his arms through his thin robes. The servants had not yet received their winter clothes. 

As he waited Xin Lin scrupulously watched the intense fighting matches and felt his blood begin to boil. Ah, he really wished he could do things like that. He was learning how to use the spear and the bow, but it really wasn't as exciting as hand-to-hand combat! He watched a match very closely, with shining eyes, he temporarily forgot about why he came here.

That’s why he didn't notice when somebody appeared behind him and grabbed hold of his arm, dragging him away quickly. It was only until he’d been pulled into a small and private culvert that he looked up.

It was Wangye!

Xin Lin’s heart held no illusions that it was going to be another confession when he saw the anger in Wangye’s face. He was sure that Wangye was angry at him for that night. He shrunk a tiny bit, a little apprehensive.

Jing Shu couldn't contain the jealousy in his heart, he really didn't like it when Xin Lin looked at others with that intense gaze! Before he knew it he had grabbed him by the arm and taken him away, without even telling Xi Ying anything. 

He regretted his decision a bit when he saw Xin Lin’s scared expression and still had his hand wrapped firmly around his bicep. He could feel a bit of definition there, but it was still pretty soft and his hand was big enough to wrap around and still have room. He didn't want to let go. His anger and jealousy had dissipated a long time ago, and now he was just scrutinizing that pretty face and admiring it. 

Xin Lin looked down at the hand on his arm and felt a little insecure. What did Wangye want? He felt himself growing more and more nervous as the silence continued, not knowing what was going to happen. He peeked up at Wangye, and suddenly his breath was taken away. Why did he look so enthralled? Xin Lin’s cheeks colored a bit.

Jing Shu had caught the subtle movements of Xin Lin, and directly met his eyes, they seemed to sparkle and draw him in, and his flushed cheeks were like two ripe peaches. Jing Shu really wanted to see what they taste like, but he restrained himself. If he let go of his self control now he probably wouldn't be able to stop himself from going further and stealing the other’s pink lips. 

Right at that moment, as if to tease him, Xin Lin bit his lip in anxiety. Jing Shu was about to go crazy. Xin Lin drove him crazy.

“Stop, don't bite it.” His voice was distinctly hoarse, and it surprised Xin Lin. Subconsciously he stopped biting his lip, but that was even worse as his bottom lip was now red and wet with saliva. And then he blinked cutely, cluelessly.

With a growl Jing Shu grabbed him and held him tight, he couldn't look anymore. With this person in his arms, he sensed something that felt empty inside him settle. Ah, it was just like that night. He tightened arms, but held so gently, he didn't want this fragile body to break. He seemed so small when compared to Jing Shu's much bigger stature.

Feeling the warm arms around him and how they held him like a treasure made Xin Lin dizzy. It was truthfully extremely comforting, and this time instead of giving into his fear and bolting, Xin Lin wrapped his own arms tentatively around Wangye. In all his life he had never felt such an embrace. In his life before, or in this one, and he wanted it. Once he had given up struggling he melted in the warmth of the other’s body. If before he felt the day was cold, now he didn't mind. He felt warm in Wangye’s embrace. He tightened his grip.

That one small action of Xin Lin’s had blown Jing Shu’s mind. He buried his face in Xin Lin’s soft and unbound hair and caught a whiff of a pleasant scent from his body. It smelled of musk and spices and reminded him of a cozy hearth and home. It made his heart stutter in his chest and tears sprang to his eyes, threatening to drop; he hid himself deeper in Xin Lin’s neck and just breathed it in. He hadn't realized how much he missed embracing him—or rather he had ignored it—even if it had just been once, he could never forget it. His heart longed for it.

The other’s breath on his neck was ticklish and having Wangye burrow there like he wanted to burrow into his heart, Xin Lin felt restless and wiggled a bit. 

Afraid that he would run away again Jing Shu strengthened the embrace and said right next to his ear: “Don't move; not yet…” it was more a plea than anything else and his somewhat stuffy nose made the sound more muffled and deep.

Xin Lin felt shivers run up and down his back, and all over his body. His heart beat faster, and despite his first thought it being fear, he couldn't help thinking it was not that. He didn't dare to think any further, it was too much all at once. He just obediently listened, not moving. But if he secured his arms a little further on Wangye, well, that was a secret. A secret they both shared.

The moment was short, but it had already felt like a few years to Jing Shu when he reluctantly let go. By now Xin Lin was thoroughly warm and had regained his sense of shame, inordinately embarrassed his flush spread all the way to his neck. Looking at him, Jing Shu knew he was ensnared once again. He’d never be able to extricate his heart from this web.

He tilted Xin Lin’s chin up with his fingers and found his eyes, then Jing Shu held his gaze.

“I won't state what you already know, I only want to tell you I won't give up. I’ll woo you until you can't refuse.” He looked straight into Xin Lin’s eyes and declared it boldly, there was no way he would ever give up this feeling of contentment, of safety. It’s alluring attraction was too much to resist, and Jing Shu didn't want to resist.

Entranced, Xin Lin only nodded. It had to be said that Wangye’s face was becoming more and more to his liking the longer he looked at it. He was increasingly wondering why he would ever deny this man anything.

Satisfied, Jing Shu took off his heavy cloak and put it on the younger man’s shoulders and left. Like a spectre he had vanished, leaving Xin Lin to ponder whether it had all been his imagination. But then the wind blew and Xin Lin pulled the cloak tight, and had his answer.

It wasn't a dream.

There's more I wanted to add, but I felt it was good to end it here. The next chapter is giving me a lot of trouble. but thankfully I have a pretty good idea of what's coming next. As always I love your feedback, comment and like if there's any typos too. ( ̄▽ ̄)/♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪

7