Chapter XI: Jing Shu’s Mistake, and How He Pays For it.
278 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jing Shu hurried to his study after finishing handing off the inspection of the manor guards and called his shadow guards to him. He couldn't delay with something so important. He should have done this long ago, but he was too muddleheaded!

Mentally berating himself he paced around, until all available shadow guards were present. Some weren't able to answer his summons as they had been sent to the border to watch their enemies.

“Wangye,” they all said in unison, kneeling on the floor.

“You're all here.” Jing Shu’s voice was stern, and he turned to sit down at his desk. “I have a new assignment for you. You are to find and protect the servant named Xin Lin immediately. No matter the cost, you will not let a hair on his head be touched. He is in the Willow Courtyard. Go.”

“Yes!” They once again bowed in unison and quickly left.

When all the shadow guards had disappeared, Jing Shu slumped in his chair feeling a heavy weight lifted off his shoulders. At least now his beloved could be protected despite his mistakes.

He sighed and began looking at the different reports scattered across his desk, not bothering to reorder them, his mind was too preoccupied.


Su Hong felt surprised, how did Wangye know Xin Lin? What danger was Xin Lin in that Wangye must send his shadow guards to protect him? He sped up, worried for his friend. The other shadow guards behind him looked at their commander and followed suite.

Even Commander Ying Yi was anxious for this mission, not to mention their lord. They should take it seriously as well.

Very quickly they had crossed the distance between Wangye’s study and the Willow Courtyard, and finally caught a glimpse of their destination. Su Hong stopped them with a motion of his hand and split them up into groups to set up a perimeter of protection for their target, while he himself and Ying Er went to find Xin Lin and give up-close protection.

It didn't take long to find him, but the state he was in was another thing.

An unknown man dressed in the attire of a manor guard was carrying his limp body out of the manor!

Out of reflex Su Hong yelled out: “Stop! Who are you?!”

Ying Er sent out a signal flare to alert the others of an intruder.

The man turned his head in their direction, and seeing them, leapt off the wall without a moment's delay.

Ying Er and Su Hong had given chase immediately, if they hadn't they would have lost sight of the interloper as his light kungfu was extraordinary, and he used unorthodox moves to avoid any pitfalls.

They chased him across the rooftops of Jun Manor and into the capitol’s empty back streets, where following him became a much bigger task. Trying to weave through the winding alleyways was like navigating a dense forest. There were hidden corners and secret pathways everywhere. 

By that time Ying Si and Ying Ba had joined their chase, with some of the other shadow guards trying to block him from the front. Calculating his trajectory, he seemed to be making for Crooked Street, a famous street that had many turn offs and housed some of the nastiest scum of the Jingyan Dynasty. It was actually a collection of streets that had an outlet into almost every major part of the capitol. There they set up an entrapment not far from the street he was now speeding through. They waited in anticipation for their prey, intent on capturing him for interrogation.

But Han Xie was sly as a fox, and slippery as an eel, he disappeared into the streets like a ghost.

The shadow guards that had moved to cut him off in ambush did not see him, and they lost the trail of their quarry.

The ones chasing him were also lost, they had not been fast enough to see where exactly Han Xie slipped away, and were left floundering with short breaths. It was only Su Hong who pushed himself harder, not letting that elusive figure leave his sight, that was able to keep up. He followed behind the man with an urgency that could only be found in someone who wanted to protect those he deemed precious to him, family. 

Su Hong dogged Han Xie’s footsteps to an empty siheyuan1Refers to a courtyard surrounded by buildings on all four sides. It also appears in English translation as courtyard houses and, less often, as Chinese quadrangles. residence in the merchant quarter of the capitol. Boldly followed Han Xie through the back portal and into the courtyard.

It was there that Han Xie dropped Xin Lin’s limp body to the ground with a thump and turned to his pursuer. His eyes were narrowed in displeasure, he looked at Su Hong as if he were a bug beneath his feet.

Su Hong stopped before him, panting, the chase of this mysterious figure took a lot out of him. Su Hong felt the man could even rival Wangye, who had never been defeated in battle before. He knew he didn't stand a chance, but if it was for Wangye, and Xin Lin, he would do his damndest. Even if Xin Lin was already dead, he would fight to regain his body.

He drew his shuangshou jian2A Chinese two-handed double-edged straight sword. Historically, shuangshou jian were up to 1.6 meters in length, and the two-handed grip could be used as a lever to lock the opponent’s arm if necessary. Large ring pommels are prevalent in the construction of shuangshou jian. and stood ready to take on his foe. It was meant to be held with both hands, but he actually held it in one. This showed that his strength actually wasn't little.

Han Xie snorted and flew to him in a flash, appearing at his side with a speed not visible to the naked eye. 

It was only with instinct that Su Hong avoided the long, thin needle the other wielded with precision, aiming for his throat. Bending backwards he nearly bent in half to make it out unscathed.

Striking out fast with his jian from that position, he aimed for the other’s neck.

Han Xie dodged with ease, his speed put to good use. Not without tricks he threw out twelve hidden needles, throwing them all from hard to evade angles.

Jumping away, Su Hong deflected most of it with his jian, but while he was Han Xie once again moved in close.

With his speed and skill, so far he had only been toying with the shadow guard. But it seemed the fun was coming to a close. He appeared in an instant at Su Hong’s back and whispered in his ear sadistically, stabbing the long needle in his neck: “You aren't bad, just lacking in talent.”

Su Hong’s eyes widened as his arms and legs became mush and he fell to the ground like a boneless doll. His line of sight was fixed in the direction of Xin Lin, he knew he had failed.

Han Xie’s cold chuckle chilled him to the bones when it sounded. Leisurely walking toward Xin Lin’s still body. He lazily grabbed the boy by the arm, yanking him roughly up into an ambiguous embrace, and caressed his face.

“Such a pretty face, it’s so sad he’s dead. Mn, I would have loved to play around with him a bit.” His face held a certain blood-curdling viciousness in it, like a craven, starved animal looking at a bloody meal.

Su Hong was horrified. But Han Xie didn't stop there, he seemed intent on desecrating Xin Lin’s body.

The terrifyingly sinister man stuck out a blood-red tongue out and licked a long trail up from Xin Lin’s collarbone to his chin, smiling with his teeth. Jeering at Su Hong.

Su Hong’s hand spasmed around the handle of his jian, itching to slice the creep in two!

Seeing this minute reaction, Han Xie only chuckled again and then walked lazily away, into the darkness of the empty house. He had made off with Xin Lin’s body and Su Hong, commander of Wangye’s shadow guards, could only lay there and watch.

Su Hong’s blood boiled.

Then his heart dropped.


Jing Shu tapped the top of the table in agitation, that signal flare a moment ago was reported to him, but all his shadow guards had left the manor in pursuit of the intruder, without information he couldn't do much.

He looked at the wrecked room, scanning it fully. His gaze finally alighted at the unnaturally untouched screen that stood out among the mess. This had been deliberate.

Whoever had kidnapped his love, they had deliberately terrorized him.

Jing Shu ground his teeth, and clenched his fists around a little statuette lying haphazardly on the table. It didn't register in his mind that he had gripped it too tight until the polished jade gave way under his fingers. It cracked and crumbled under his fingers.

Looking at it in disgust and annoyance, Jing Shu threw it across the room. 

He was useless!

What an imbecilic mistake!

He was Jun Wangye and he couldn't even get his act together enough to send shadow guards to protect Xin Lin in time! He didn't even realize his mistake until it was too late!

Self-assured imbecile! Rash, halfwitted idiot! Irresponsible crackbrained meathead!

You’re a fool Jing Shu!

Why couldn't you do this simple thing?!

“Enough!” He roared out loud, directed toward his own thoughts. It wouldn't do to lose himself in remorse and self-reproach. He needed to take action, he needed to find out where Xin Lin was taken.

He was Jun Wangye. He should act like it.

No more bumbling around, those sniveling tricksters had truly angered him this time. He had retreated from their sphere, pushed away his involvement with the current power struggle, hidden away in his brother’s shadow.

No more!

If this continued… Mn, there was no other way now, it was time to declare war.

Ying Si appeared like a shadow and kneeled before his lord, anger in his demeanor, and obeisance in his tone. The shadow guards needed to train harder.

“Wangye, we found Commander Ying Yi… he was poisoned.” His head bowed respectfully.

Jing Shu didn't look at him. “Where?” He intoned with vehemence.

“We had lost the kidnapper in Crooked Street, and Commander was the only one able to keep up with him. We followed the trail he left for us to an unoccupied siheyuan in the merchant quarter. By the time we arrived the interloper had already disappeared from the vicinity, a team led by Ying Ba is investigating the courtyard and houses around as we speak.” Ying Si felt his scalp tingle at his lord’s tone.

“Who owns the siheyuan?” Jing Shu’s voice was bitingly cold.

“An insignificant merchant by the name of Yang, he hasn't visited the capitol all year.”

“Investigate him.” So saying, Jun Wang stood and like a ghost his figure dissipated in the wind. He had already gone to it investigate himself.

There was nowhere that they could hide that Jing Shu wouldn't find.


Xin Lin felt his mind growing hazy from the lack of oxygen inside his coffin. He felt it ironic that he suffocated before he was even in the ground. He was jarred from his morbid thoughts when there was an abrupt stop of the cart and he felt himself lurch forward, sliding and then falling with a crash. His head hit the side of the coffin and a flash of white filled his vision as there was a ringing in his ears. A crack appeared in the lid of the box, letting air and sliver of light through. Xin Lin sucked in a greedy breath and finally his cloudy mind cleared, and felt his limbs a little looser. The drug was wearing off!

He struggled to lift his heavy arms, but they were like lead and his head ached, everywhere ached. Suddenly the sensation of his limbs came back in a jolt, and Xin Lin was thrown into the awareness that his body’s condition was dire. All over he felt pain, like thousands of snakes slipping through his too-small veins and orifices, tearing them apart. He weakly cried out at the sensation, the sound of his voice small and raw, like a wounded animal on the precipice of life and death.

It was this sound that Jing Shu heard as he frantically searched through the different caskets, it let a deadened flame in his heart reawaken. He zeroed in on the one that the noise emanated from and lifted it from the bottom of the fallen pile like it was nothing. Gently putting it down, right side up, he pried the lid off and held his breath. When it was opened it revealed a sight he had once given up on.

The lithe body that once disseminated the confidence of youth looked frail and shaken. Xin Lin’s eyes were red and his face was blotchy from crying, not to mention a few purpling bruises on his exposed flesh descending into his collar. Anger bubbled up at that, but the sight of him alive, Jing Shu found himself thinking it was the most beautiful sight he’d ever seen. 

Xin Lin looked up at the blurry figure entering his vision, the sheer relief of seeing light again brought tears to his eyes, he blinked to get a better look at his saviour. It was Wangye! He had been saved by Wangye! A strange sense of comfort filled him at that, if it had been anyone else to save him only relief and gratitude would have been his heart’s reaction. But in his final moments he had hoped and prayed for this person who seemed as tall as Mt. Tai, to save him. And he had been saved by him. 

He wanted to cry out to Wangye and scramble into his embrace that had felt so warm so long ago, but his tongue was heavy in his mouth, his limbs unresponsive. A choked sound that had no resemblance to “Wangye” escaped his trembling lips as his tears fell anew. He had been so sure he would face death, alone… again.

Jing Shu didn't wait, he quickly gathered the limp body into his arms and held him close. He felt he should never let go, he should make amends and protect this person. Everything had been his fault after all.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, shh— don't cry I’ve got you, I won't let anyone touch you.” His whispered words were tender and reassuring, but were a far cry from his thoughts. Internally, he was beating himself up over this stupid, stupid mistake. He wasn't worthy. He had failed his love so terribly.

Feeling the other pet his hair and hold him steadily, Xin Lin’s sobs soon quieted. He was tired, and his body was still trying to recover from suffocation, and the drugging it had experienced. Unable to do more than weakly grasp at Wangye’s robes, trying to find something stable in his traumatized senses. The words enveloped him like a cloak and filled him with comfort. He gave in to the pull of his mind and once again lost consciousness, only this time it was a voluntary sleep. 

Around them was a commotion, the shouts of Wangye’s men holding the two gravedigger’s at knife point. The two ruffians were actually not unused to such situations, they had been bandits once or twice, kidnapped and stolen a few times. But after coming to the capitol they had joined the biggest gang and changed their identities. Even as wanted men they were suddenly untouchable by law with that secret organization’s protection.

But Jing Shu ignored it. They weren't worth his time. They weren't behind this incident, no, Jing Shu was afraid it was someone with much more sinister intentions, with bigger backing. Someone within the Imperial Family.

And he had a good idea who.

I know I said there would be fluff, but my convoluted plot got in the way! Unfortunately the next few chapters also aren't that fluffy or funny... so sorry. (*_ _)人 I tried fitting some fluff in, I really did! But the knives just kept poking it back out. But don't worry I have some pretty fluffy chapters planned.

5