Chapter II: Can You Cook? Part 2
358 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jun Wang was long past the back courtyard by now, and panicking. Because Jade Emperor knows, seeing that servant sleep peacefully like that made his brain feel like mush. It was worse than if his eyes had stayed half-lidded! Grumbling in his mind, Jing Shu marched right back to his horse and mounted it. Xi Ying struggled to catch up, he could not let anything happen to Jun Wang.

Jing Shu mounted and galloped roughly to his Imperial Highness Prince Qi’s manor. He needed to clear his head!

Meanwhile, Xin Lin, who had no idea he was the cause of a stir, napped peacefully. Xiao Hua who was the only one to see the by-play sat with disbelieving eyes directed at the now vacated courtyard entrance. Dage sat grunting in his sleep, something about potatoes, and didn't wake. Xin Lin let out little puffs of air as he slept, like a small animal.

Xiao Hua was stunned into a daze, she knew she couldn't tell anyone. Not only would they not believe her but it would also cause trouble for Wangye! But most importantly, it would cause trouble for her little brother; who, she knew, had done nothing wrong. Unless being too beautiful was a crime. She closed her dropped jaw and whined, this was really great gossip material! It was too cruel that she couldn't say or do anything about it! Xiao Hua slapped her thigh in indignation, hateful! But then her thoughts took a turn, who said she couldn't do anything about it? Ke ke ke, nobody would know if she just nudged in the right direction. All she had to do was promote A-Lin’s beauty in front of Wangye, make him show his good sides, and Wangye would be caught! Hook, line and sinker!

With happy thoughts, Xiao Hua peeled the rest of the snow peas in her bowl, and then took Dage’s to peel too. She giggled in anticipation.


Jing Shu was a pragmatic man; a straightforward man. He wasn't prone to delicate thoughts and finery, but he definitely wasn’t stupid. He wasn't dense. With what had happened he knew, he was bewitched. There were no two ways about it, he could only accept and… no, there could be no acceptance, he could only deny. He couldn't afford such frivolous thoughts now, when vigilance was needed the most. Prince Qi’s faction was on the edge of a knife, one step in the wrong direction would end them! 

With great reluctance, and haste, Jun Wang rode to his brother’s palace to tell him the worrying news. Jing Shu was now a liability! There was no way he could lead an army now. 

At the spring manor gates he jumped off his horse and stomped in, not waiting for the servants to announce him and pushing them away. Xi Ying who had finally caught up to him quickly told the servants to announce his lord's presence to the Crown Prince.

Jing Shu found his Qi-ge in the inner sanctum of the library and burst through the doors with a huff of anger.

Prince Qi looked up at the intruder with surprise, apparently the servants hadn’t been fast enough. Xi Ying entered after Wangye with a worried face, and Prince Qi motioned him to close the door just as a servant ran up. Xi Ying sent the man on his way and closed the door.

Quickly calming down, the Crown Prince dipped his brush and continued writing his accounts. Jing Shu paced in red-faced rage for a few minutes before settling into a chair with an undignified oof. Xi Ying stood off to the side anxiously. Crown Prince just waited for his little brother to calm and spit out what he would inevitably spit out.

“Brother…” Jing Shu whined like a child. Prince Qi held back the urge to sigh.

“Yes, Shu-er?” he patiently put down his brush and focused his attention on Jun Wang, who was flustered and whining. Wasn't that just a treat, really.

“I don't know what to do! It's terrible! I can't believe it happened at a time like this when everything relies on my clear-headedness and--” both Xi Ying and Prince Qi coughed to hide a laugh, my clear-headedness... “there is no way I'm going to let our plans fall through!” Jing Shu would have continued ranting if not for his anger choking him up. It had to be said, whenever Jun Wang encountered emotions he was not familiar with his first action was not to consider, not to analyze, it was to be angry. Really and truly a unique way to deal with things. Then, he would always and typically come to his big brother and whine for him to explain it. Really, what was Jing Qi going to do with him?

“Calm down first, tell me what happened. Xi Ying, call for tea.” Xi Ying swiftly did as bade and left them alone. “So what's bothering you?” Jing Qi pressed down on his own budding irritation, it would do no good here.

“I’ve been bewitched!” Jing Qi’s lip twitched as he fought to keep a patient expression on his face.

“Oh, how have you been bewitched?” he asked calmly, neatening the papers on his desk.

Jing Shu started gesticulating wildly, “He made congee--the gall of him to go and look like a fox spirit--he fell asleep!” Prince Qi inwardly cringed, while showing a soothing appearance. This troublesome dumbass, really why did he have to be saddled with such a little brother? Things weren't nearly as dire as he made them out to be.

“Now now, why don't we start from the beginning,” Xi Ying entered and set the tea down, pouring and handing some to Jun Wang, then to Crown Prince.

Taking a large gulp, unafraid of scalding, Jing Shu finally calmed himself a little. Sighing, “Well, last night I was--I couldn't sleep so I took a walk around Jun manor to the back courtyard for a late night snack… and he was there.” Jing Shu frowned, and Jing Qi frowned seeing it. “He works in the kitchen in any case but-but,” Jun Wang stuttered and ran his hands through his hair. This was worrying, maybe they were as dire as Jing Shu made them out to be. “There is no way I'm going to explain this coherently, but he looked like a celestial descended from heaven. He was just watching the stars… I ordered him to cook some congee and he complied so humbly.” Jing Shu worried his lip, something he would never do in front of others. “There was nothing amazing about the food and I went back after three bowls,” Xi Ying tried not to snort, and Jing Qi grew more suspicious about this servant by the minute. “I told--I went to the military camp next morning and when I got back I headed straight for the kitchen and saw--” Jun Wang choked his next words and went red. There was no way he would say it out, so humiliating.

“If I may,” Xi Ying interjected. 

“Go ahead,” Jing Qi waved him on, seeing Jun Wang was useless at the moment. 

“It seems the servant he speaks of is a regular citizen we recently hired in the kitchen. No big background or connections, son of a farmer. Only…” Xi Ying pursed his lips, but seeing Prince Qi’s impatient glance went on, a little red faced, “he’s really a beauty, looks more like a girl than a boy.”

“You investigated thoroughly?” Crown Prince sipped his tea elegantly, eyes narrowed.

“He underwent the same treatment all servants of Jun palace are subjected to, screening and investigating. There was nothing strange, and it was his first time in the capitol.” Xi Ying felt a cold sweat at Crown Prince’s sharp gaze. 

“Brother, I-I need your help.” Jing Qi and Xi Ying both turned to previously forgotten Jun Wang. Jing Shu had not calmed, his face was red to his neck and he was shaking. Jing Qi fought of a headache. It was really bad this time.

“Don't worry, big brother has everything under control. All you have to do is stay away from him.”

“That's the problem, I can't. Even now my body screams to race back and hide him away… it's really bad! You need to restrain me!” Jing Shu gripped the arms of the chair.

“Calm down and get ahold of yourself! You're not some mindless brute, you are Jun Wang! Show some dignity Jing Shu or so help me I will whip you!” Jing Qi stood up and showed an imposing figure, intimidating his brother into stillness. Xi Ying retreated, trembling in cold sweat.

Jing Qi rounded his desk and towered over the sitting Jun Wang, who seemed to have lost his strength. “There is no way I will let your emotions overpower your reason so calm down!” snorting, Prince Qi went to look out the window. He sighed in a put-upon manner. Jing Shu slumped in his chair.

“Shu-er, Shu-er, there is no cure for lovesickness. The only way you're going to get through this is with sheer willpower. No amount of reassurances can help you, only you alone can withstand this storm. I only wish it hadn't come now, of all times. I know you're honest, I know you aren't good at hiding things, but you must  try. That's our only way, all along that has always been our only way. The Imperial Court is full of snakes, and once the find a weakness they will bite and never let go.”

“I know, I'm sorry. I lost my head, and--I've never been good with nuanced emotions.” Jing Shu sighed, “I only came here because I knew you could talk sense into me. Don't worry I’ll send him away, I'll never see him again.” Even as his face fell with the heartwrenching thought, Jing Shu steeled himself.

Crown Prince turned around to face his little brother, “There's no need to be so drastic. I didn't say you couldn't love him, just hold off until things calm down. I'm not angry, in fact I want you to be happy and fall in love. Get married for love. But now is not the time for that. We must hold ourselves together, and wait for the storm to pass. Does the boy even know you like him?”

“He is not… aware I fancy… him.” Jing Shu’s embarrassment was tangible.

Jing Qi looked at his brother, aware that this was another unforeseen variable with infinite consequences. But they couldn't just brush it aside. “There’s not much I can do, but we must shield this information. You must not breathe a word of this to anyone. Xi Ying!” 

“Here!” said aid stepped forward hastily.

“Did anyone see Jun Wang?”

Comprehending the Crown Prince’s words Xi Ying stated: “There was only a servant girl present who saw, we can easily seal her mouth. Everyone in Jun Manor is loyal to Jun Wang! I also didn't see anything!”

Jing Qi sighed, it would have to do for now. “Go back, news of your hasty ride through the capitol has already reached the emperor's ears by now. It's a good thing, we can use this to announce my recovery.” At Jing Shu’s start, Prince Qi was fast to assuage his fears.

Jun Wang’s return trip was much more sedate, and before the day was over news of Crown Prince Qi’s recovery filled the citizens’ hearts with joy and relief. The simple folk had no clue of how deep the waters ran beneath the surface. Jing Shu carried his heavy heart through the gates of Jun manor with quiet gravity. He needed a distraction.

Un, sorry for the hassle. It's just been bothering me for a while, I had to split it. Thanks you all for all the support you've been giving me and I hope you'll continue to do so!

8