Chapter XIV: It’s a Crush, I Won’t Get Over It
232 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once Jing Shu had comforted Xin Lin enough to finish his food and go back to sleep, he got up and went to his study.

In truth, he had wanted to stay and bask in the warmth of his beloved. But his duties as Jun Wang wouldn't wait. So, with a flimsy resolution, he sat at his desk and checked over reports and sent out orders. Xi Ying was kept busy, running back and forth with important missives, and he wasn't the only one. Xi Ying wasn't even one of the runners, but there was so much productivity today that he had to help.

It was well past noon when Jing Shu finally had enough and sat back in his chair. He sighed and almost automatically his thoughts turned to his little beloved, Xin Lin.

Ai, he was so cute, amazing and adorable! Just thinking about him, Jing Shu felt his tiredness disappear. It was truly amazing how his little one had such a magical effect.

In the midst of his daydreaming, a visitor came to the manor. It was the Crown Prince.

“Jing Shu, how has your day been?” He smiled at his didi’s yearning face and chuckled a bit. What was his brother thinking of? It could range from tonight’s dinner to sparring with one of his advisors.

Jing Shu clenched his fists and turned to Jing Qi. Even surprised as he was, he hadn't really been caught off guard, rather he had known his brother was coming in. And it was his brother’s coming that made him realize, ah he had really fallen into a pit.

What if Qi-ge doesn’t approve of his actions these past few days?

Of course, he wouldn't approve, Jing Shu had been a fool, and someone had found out his weak point. It was undeniable. If he told Jing Qi he would get a harsh scolding, if he didn't he risked both their lives, and those they loved. But he really didn't want to be scolded.

He cringed internally, thought of his beloved and steeled himself. No more cowardice.

It took less than half a minute to respond to Qi-ge’s query, but that was enough time for the Crown Prince to sense his brother’s apprehension. 

“Ah, it was boring, I was only doing paperwork.” He would tell him, just ease him into it, that’s all.

“I see, and has your,” Jing Qi coughed, “crush been well? I hope you are not too sad, there’s always time to woo him.” Ah! So awkward! He hoped he hadn't poked a hornet’s nest there.

Jing Shu cleared his throat, cheeks going red. “W-well, he is still quite beautiful, but he is recovering—” before he could say more he was already cut off.

“What happened? Did he get sick?” Jing Qi was worried for his brother’s sake, ah it was already precarious! 

“Um, well, h-he was poisoned.” Ah! Not like that! Use your brain!

“What! Poisoned, how?! Jing Shu you—” Jing Qi took a breath to calm himself, that conversation with his mother had him on edge, dammit! Why does everyone target their family?! “How did this happen?” His brow wrinkled, looking quite ugly and giving away his concern.

Jing Shu looked at him shamefacedly, he could only be out with it now. “I was stupid, I got stupidly jealous of something I imagined and put him in danger. Someone found out and kidnapped him.”

“Jing Shu…” Jing Qi was so speechless that he could only say that much. What had been happening behind his back? Ai, stupid indeed little brother. 

Seeing how much his Qi-ge was shocked, he felt even more ashamed. How had he been so careless…? 

"Jing Shu, I need you to be more specific about what happened." Regaining a bit of his composure, Jing Qi sternly asked for the details.

“Well, I was doing some inspections of my manor guards when I saw him enter and watch from the sidelines… it was stupid of me, but I got jealous and dragged him away. We ended up in one of the unused courtyards and I said some sappy stuff that need not be mentioned—I left him there after a bit, and that—that was a big mistake.” Jing Shu took a big breath, surprised he had said so much of what happened without breaking down cursing at himself or the interloper responsible. 

Jing Qi frowned even more deeply, so far it wasn't so bad, but he was sure it was gonna get worse. 

After he had calmed himself a bit more, Jing Shu continued. “I went back and summoned my shadow guards to go and protect him—which I should have done long ago but I was such an idiot—by the time they had gone to the courtyard someone had already taken Xin Lin and was about to leave with him. They sent up a signal flare and gave chase, but they were no match, even Ying Yi was bested. At the least, my shadow guards had chased him to an unoccupied siheyuan, but the trail went cold there. I followed after, hoping to get Xin Lin back before anything bad happened. I was… too late, we fought but Xin Lin wasn't there, he had already been passed to someone else. I was able to get a location, but,” Jing Shu ground his teeth. “I was told he was already dead. I went anyway. Qi-ge, they had put him in a coffin and were going to bury him alive. If I hadn't come in time…” Burying his face in his hands, Jing Shu tried not to recall the fear and despair… Xin Lin’s face that was so broken.

Jing Qi could only be silent. What had happened, it was really serious this time. But still, most of this could have been avoided. He sympathized with his brother but that didn't mean he would go easy on him. 

“Ai, Jing Shu, after all that’s happened... you were still so impatient. You should've waited, but you didn't and now you’ve paid dearly. And not only you yourself had to face the consequences, but no, your mistake also was paid for by the one you love. It was your impatience that had caused such heartache, and yet you just acted without thinking. Why didn't you heed my advice? You know it was for your own good!” Jing Qi was a bit disappointed, but he didn't have the heart to scold as harshly as he usually did. After a bit of seeing the contrite and self-reflecting look of his brother, he asked, “...Did you at least find out who was behind it? If not you really would have been too useless this time.”

“I don't have concrete evidence, but if my suspicions are correct then it is someone very powerful. We might not be able to win against them.” Jing Shu was being cryptic, and Jing Qi frowned, stressed.

“Who? And what about the one who did the actual kidnapping?” This kind of suspense was only fun when lives weren’t on the line! It wasn't intentional if his tone became more demanding.

Jing Shu wet his lips, he didn't really want to say it was that person. “The kidnapper is dead, he had great prowess in martial arts, and we almost fought to a standstill, but in the end, I won. I wanted to capture him, but when he saw himself at a disadvantage, he killed himself. Otherwise, I would have proof of my claims for the mastermind…” he was really hesitant to say this because that person wasn't just anybody. They were someone he respected, someone he had thought would always be on his side.

Jing Qi’s face was set in stone. “Tell me, Jing Shu, stop acting as if the words will bite you.”

“...I believe it is Imperial Father. Certain things prove it… but none of it is concrete.”

Jing Qi was stunned, what did this mean? Why would the Emperor try to… to his favored son? Wasn't Jing Shu the one he doted on most? Why would he target Jing Shu’s lover? “Why would it be Imperial Father? What would he gain?”

“Qi-ge, Imperial Father doesn't love me as you think. I’m not his favored ‘son’ I'm his favorite tool—why he dotes on me, is because it's my reward for being the son of his favored consort. For being the ‘most outstanding’ of his sons.” The words felt like they impacted Jing Qi’s brain like a hammer might, with crushing intensity.

“I’ve long known of his insistence of me inheriting the throne, but I’ve always turned him down and acted improperly so that he couldn't put me in that position. I'm not suited for it. Imperial Father thinks otherwise and is always trying to devise strategies to get me to become Crown Prince. Even pushing me to oppose you,” Jing Shu stood and turned to open the screen and look out the window, and Jing Qi found he could only remain silent. All these revelations in the past week were… making him speechless, to say the least. 

“Me having a male lover, it would be fine to him, but he knows me well enough. I would never take another lover in my life, never have concubines. With all my power, I would strive to make Xin Lin my Princess Consort, and by law, I would never be able to inherit the throne. I would never have any offspring from my main wife. I may not have offspring in my life.” His back was turned from Jing Qi, so the other couldn't make out what expression he was wearing.

“Imperial Father is a cold person, the favor he shows is never truly real… even before I was born I suspect he hadn't truly loved anyone besides himself. Many times I find myself trying to dodge his hidden traps… it is tiring.”

“Jing Shu, even if he’s the Emperor, he wouldn't be able to touch you. I would make sure of it.” 

How long had Jing Shu carried this burden alone? Jing Qi had always thought himself the cleverer of the two, but now he saw he had been mistaken. Jing Shu had kept this from him for a long time. When had it started, when had Jing Shu started to shoulder these responsibilities? Was it as a child? Did he always keep it hidden, did he always protect them? Was mother only alive today because of Jing Shu?

“Didi… I’m sorry for being so useless… But from now onwards you can rely on me.” 

Jing Shu finally turned and Jing Qi saw him smile, soft and relieved, through his tears.

“You're not useless, it's just the situation. You have always been a good brother to me, a good son to our parents… it's Imperial Father’s loss to not see it. That man has always been blind, otherwise, he would see if there’s anyone who could lead this country, it’s you.”

“Y-you make me blush.” The brothers shared a sheepish laugh.

Maybe everything wasn't fine, but it will be.

They’ed make sure of it.

T.T I had such major writer's block with this chapter... but yeah I pulled through for you guys. So be grateful, I tried really hard!

There's not much lovey-dovey between the main CP in this chapter, so here:

Small Theatre

Xiao Lin: *puffs his cheeks out* I'm upset.

Jing-doting-husband-Shu: *sees the cute sight* Honey! I'll kiss it better!

Xiao Lin: Nooo! Go away, I don't want slobber!

Jing-sad-Shu: *pouting with tears in his eyes* Do I slobber? No way, right?

Xiao Lin: Honey, I'll kiss it better?

Jing-exploits-his-husband's-goodwill-Shu: *thinks R-18 stuff* Okay!

Xiao-innocent-Lin: *peck on the cheek* There! all better. *walks away*

Jing-naughty-Shu: Wait! Come back!

In the end, Jing Shu had to just accept the peck, hehe. He's planning stuff for later, though.

7