Chapter 5: Luke’s loose tongue
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
William looks at the bare chest of Luke, who proudly shows his prided Emblem. It is his life itself, and an important piece of his history.
 
“Looks insane. Nothing like mine.” William says while touching his wrist in return.
 
In truth, this emblem looks like nothing that he has ever seen. There is a similar current of matter within it the same way as his Emblem, but the feeling and the gem are different.
 
“What else?”
 
“ It looks and feels different...I would expect nothing else from a military Walker. They are tough, aren't they?”
 
“We have to be tough. Someone has to do it, you know?” Luke says with a sharp look in his eyes. Look of experience and visible passion with some speck of killing intent. It frightens William just for a tiny bit of a moment before he restrains his eyes away from Luke.
 
“What is on your mind, kid?”
 
“Life options?” William asks in a manner of question and answer.
 
“You are about the age where it is important to seek a steady ground on your feet. That is a very first step as a Walker.”
 
“Does it need to be so specific and literal?”
 
“I don't know. I have not asked to be named like that. It happened because someone has some clever words or too much time on their hands. No idea.”
 
“I understand... You know, mister Luke. Since we are here, in this machine, what I have never seen so close before, perhaps a little fearfulness is not so bad?”
 
“I am not judging the path of a 15-year-old kid. It should not be our problem. The majority of the Walkers are experiencing a tough life. Sometimes even harsher than the normal people can imagine.”
 
“But not every Walker is equal, right?” William asks while he tries to hide the fact of his shaking hands. Nervousness is enveloping his mind, and it could not escape Luke's eyes.
 
“Righ, some are born in a good life, to begin with, while others have to struggle already when they are raising to the starting line. Which do you think are?”
 
“Neither.”
 
“Do you believe that?”
 
“I can build my own starting line, is it not right?”
 
“I don't know. I am not free Walker to judge your decision.”
 
“Oh? Then what makes you not free?” William asks with curiosity. There is nothing else he could do than honestly expect something good from an experienced Walker. This is a good situation, which a lot of young Walkers in their adolescence don't have. At least in the Outside.
 
“Life itself. Bound to the military since the early years.”
 
“W-what about... my parents? You talked about my father who served with you, but what about more about my father and mother?” William grabs his courage and asks what was within his mind for a long time today.
 
“Your mother? You definitely don't know anything? Whatever... I may as well tell you. I don't care about rules that are unnecessarly put on me.”
 
William listens with great interest while trying to stop his shaking hands between his thighs.
 
“I served your father for about 10 years. It started right around the time when the Federation was building up the Emblem Academy. It is nothing much fancy to tell more about it. They put a lot of restrictions on the building of a new foundation of humanity. Outside of the reach of any continent. The military is a boring subject whenever one who speaks is from the military itself. I won't be bothering you with unnecessary talk.”
 
“No. No. Not at all. It is interesting.” William replies while Luke scratches his chin.
 
“Alright, your father simply put, had some incredible talent and courage, which caused him to reach Rank 6. A state that is quite important for every Walker. As for your mother... it is rather complicated as I don't know too many details myself. I was not very friendly with your father. Occasional drink or words were most of our exchanges.”
 
“I only know that your mother was from some part of the first few generations of the Emblem Academy.” Luke bluntly reveals something that he should not have.
 
“My mother was from the Academy??” Wiliam shouts right at the face of Luke, who pulls his head away.
 
“Calm down, brat. I am telling you this for your own good. Nothing else.”
 
“Why?”
 
“What why?”
 
“Why are you telling me since you are not tasked with anything related to that?”
 
“I can be compassionate. Sometimes...” Luke answers, with some uncertainty.
 
“What sort of rank has my mother achieved?” William asks with excitement while clenching his fists.
 
“That I don't know,” Luke answers while turning his head away.
 
William is still happy with at least this much. This knowledge pushed his confidence, as well as courage, to continue forwards. It is good for Luke to do so since he personally needs it very much so.
 
“Wanna hear some other things? Since we have a long time to do anything, we may as well continue going with these discussions.” Luke offers, while not wanting to continue with the stuff he was not supposed to tell.
 
“What Rank are you, mister Luke?”
 
“Rank 4.”
 
“Is it good?”
 
“Who would say no to that? Hell yeah, it is good! I feel proud of myself. I am a captain of a team!”
 
“Oh...”
 
“Let me tell you something more. Importance pieces of tips for the youngsters from an experienced walker like me.”
 
Williams seemingly sharpens his ears as he carefully listens to Luke.
 
“In today's age, a lot of stuff is constantly happening. Young Walkers are born left and right, with a world that is not even fused as one right now, or even in the past. It is not terrible, nor great for a vast majority of them. While you had great parents, they were basically nothing for you. Strictly speaking only!” Luke adds as he saw the incoming frown of William. His blunt way of speaking is his style. Truth and honesty are his backbones.
 
“One piece of advice is this. Don't give up on whatever piece of the path you decide to walk. I don't care if it's the military, Academy, or the other organizations. It all serves the purpose of putting your life in the line and that is one of the things that are left out by a lot of instructors what I know.” Luke continues while William stares at him with resolute eyes.
 
He does not mind the honesty of Luke, even though he would lie if those words do not affect him.
 
William knows that his parents were not there for him when they disappeared from his life. From that moment 10 years ago, he holds to his own life. It was not a terrible life, so far. Only a lonely life that he had to change while finding his own footing in the current world that he became to understand afterward. Prior to the loss of his parents, he remembers nothing much. Occasional flashes of memories of hands, walking with him in the streets, and forest alike. He remembers a certain sight, of a beautiful woman, caressing a face of a man with a tough appearance. A vision of his parents from an unknown past.
 
Luke grabs William's head and shakes him up a little once again.
 
“Ohhh.. what are you doing?” William struggles before he slips away.
 
“Don't look so dejected. An alive Walker is better than a dead one. A firm heart is equal to any progression you will ever make.”
 
“I... I am thankful?” William pats his head while looking at Luke in confusion. He sounds much more like a teacher than one would guess.
 
“Heh. I think the system of the new recruits is not the best, but it is not my place to judge anything. It is higher-ups who decide that.”
 
“So a lot of organizations will test my aptitude?” William voices another topic, after figuring that Luke doesn't know too much about his parents.
 
“Yea. More or less. It is important to note that examining any young Walkers is a thing that happens 3 to 4 times a year. With the start of the summer, you will have some time before the examinations will even start.”
 
“Really? Why does it take that long?”
 
“Because it is that important. Don't worry too much about it. Academy or the military, most of them are difficult anyways.”
 
William's shaking never stopped once.
 
“But it is not like the death is coming immediate, you know? I heard that in the academy, the process of even getting some crossing with dangers takes at least 2 years. You are still young to be efficient for the lowest rank of the Dark beings.” Luke tries to explain, as the pale expression of William does not get any better.
 
“Alright, let me show you something interesting. Something to get your mind off the future. How about that?” Luke offers an idea he has suddenly gotten.
 
William just nods his head while glancing at him with a question.
 
Luke put forth his chest with the still bare Emblem. A sudden flow of light and bluish green particles emerged around the Emblem and flowed forth. It traveled within the room, as the sudden beams of waves shot forth around a meter in front of his chest.
 
It flickers in the light a bit, but William is looking clear at the sight of an experienced Walker.
 
The light of the waves forms into a few dozen-inch wide cube. Bluish green with the same pattern of waves that Luke has in his chest Emblem.
 
“W-what is this? I've never heard anything about this?”
 
“What have you even heard? There were no teachers or someone who would teach you confidential information about the Walkers. Of course. We live in such a world... huh?” Luke calmly states as the light and waves left a district pattern across most of his chest, shoulders, and arms. Like a small armor, but nothing like that too. It almost looks like he is in the pond of the colorful lake, with water that is not water, but a mysterious matter that flows in the air.
 
“What is this? I barely know that most Walkers have some forms of weapons.”
 
“That is quite far from the whole truth. We call it Arcalist. A manifestation of an Emblem. It is a form where it is achieved while moving ranks within your Emblem.”
 
“What does it do?” William asks while touching the flying particles what are revolving around this robust-looking cube. It almost resembles dust, but had a form of light, and almost like wind and water at the same time.
 
“A lot of things. I will not be able to show you anything within this space. You will have to wait for it for another time.”
 
Suddenly, a cockpit door in the middle of the left wall opens and Szczepan pokes his head around a corner.
 
“What do we have here? Does the boss impress another kid? I knew it! Heheheheeh.” He laughs in his strange accent while looking at the sight that does not the least bit surprise him.
 
Luke turned his head to a sudden intruder with a look that could kill.
 
“Alright. Alright. Boss, I came with a report that we have an hour left. That is all. You can keep the entertainment running.” Szczepan salutes while chuckling back to his seat in the cockpit.
 
“What a lad, this Szczepan.” Luke mumbles.
 
“Where is he even from? Europe?” William asks since the opportunity came by itself.
 
“Honestly, I am not even sure myself.” Luke shrugs his shoulders while pointing at the cube with his arm. Waves of the matter flows to his chest the same way they appeared. Declining from the robust-looking cube, that disintegrated to those particles as well.
 
“Arcalist is a special technique that is the most important start of the whole process of the next level of Emblem systems. You will much better learn it yourself since it could differ from person to person. You will soon understand it since you are not that young anymore.” Luke explains.
 
“So I can have a completely different Arcalist than you?” William asks with some better understanding.
 
“Of course. Since the beginning of this whole mess and destruction throughout the continents, many and many effects of Arcalists were recorded within the organizations and scientists who are involving themselves with the research. It is complicated, so I won't bother you with that?”
 
“You know, mister Luke?” William asks.
 
“What?”
 
“You could have been a good teacher yourself. You know a lot of stuff.”
 
“Hehheeheheheh.” Luke begins to madly laugh while slapping his thighs.
 
“Damn! I damn hope Szczepan did not hear this. He will never leave this down.” He mumbles as he wipes the tears from his eyes.
0