Chapter 17: The federation, The World, and calm walk on the street.
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Walking out of the 3rd floor, further up are another stairs, but they would wait for tomorrow. Instead, William returns down with each curved staircase across the heights of this tall structure, which is an entrance to the Library. The view does not scare him, even though this could be the biggest building he has ever seen.
 
Down on the first floor, he notices no one, apart from many people around who go into, or out of the library. It is a surprising amount of people since there is plenty of time to visit the library after working shifts for most people's ends. The majority would try to get a few hours into learning new things so they would not lose out and gain at least something before another start of the day.
 
William looks around, and cherishes this moment, since his life would be very similar to theirs, in soon time.
 
Unknown to him, the majority of younger people from the 3rd floor and above are already rich folks from families, whose background is more than stable. Not like a refugee from the Outside like William. Ellie, is a prime example of this, even though she is a bright, clever, but still, brilliant girl who grew up in a nice world without dangers.
 
Most are like her. At least on the 2nd floor and for the most part, the 3rd one as well. Workers and people with less income could not afford to waste their precious time on the cultural floor to pass the time. That is for the rich kids.
 
William walks from the massive buildings from the main open door without any disturbance, unlike his entrance early today.
 
A gust of wind hit his nostrils as the air filled with the oceanic scent overpowers his senses.
 
“It is a kind of refreshing. Not smelly, as the old sailors says.” William mutters to himself, in this moment of peace.
 
William recalls some memory, where the Canadian borders still had some functioning fleet of smaller boats for fishing. It is a timeless way to get food, and soon enough, probably tomorrow, will William undercover the history that he never knew existed, or exist at the moment.
 
That would wait since the end of the day is nearing, even though William learned from Ellie that the Library is open nonstop without any break. Though it is true, a person needs to rest, and William is aware of it.
 
The need for knowledge is, after all, useful at every moment in time, and people in the city are many, too many. Visitors to the library a week are in the tens of thousands of people. Some people visit it only once a week, while others are there up to two times a day. Before work, and after work.
 
William finds it rather intriguing. The importance of the Library seems much more important within the Federation than he assumes.
 
Still, he understands not many underlying problems within the society of the Federation. It is also fair to assume his cluelessness, naivety, or ignorance, which could only change by getting to know this place better.
 
As for the places of the Walkers, while Ellie explains a little, without him even visiting the floors he wanted today, he still got at least some interesting knowledge from her.
 
Although not a complete system is known to her. With the Walkers she is meeting every day, she explained the pragmatic view of a regular citizen, where the Walkers have certain privileges. Powers, standing, and most important history, what leads to the foundation of the Federation as a whole.
 
It is a common fact that the powerful walkers of unknown high ranks are within the standing power of influencing the whole world. Though, it is not something that any citizen needs to care about. Knowing it is enough for the propaganda, or to secure a safe place for mankind after losing so much in the last century.
 
Examples are that the organizations behind the Federation and its leadership have powerful Walkers as their leaders, and many decisions are made through them alone.
 
William knows that there are certain national views and governments. He learned at least something from tutoring within the orphanages, but it could not be the same as the learning curve in the Federation. It could barely be considered knowledge of the common sense of the Outside. That is only considering that he is a young Walker.
 
Kingdom, socialistic, democratic, or communistic approaches to the nation are a few examples. There is much more to it, and William, from his memory, couldn’t care about the politics in the past. Nowadays, though similar, people need firm leadership and it works.
 
To his utmost surprise, the current view of the Federation is nothing like before, but not all that different from what he understands about the USA and Canada. Everything seeps from the coordination of the past nations which had small power alone, but when fused together, the power is tremendous.
 
More than half of the human resources at that time were put to the very beginning of the Federation, which led to advancements in many positions, even among the regular people. Miners, lumberjacks, builders, and so on are needed at any stage of the nation, and everything needs human resources.
 
So, the place with the name of the Federation is not only one singular organization. What William learns from Ellie is that the nations have no singular stations and interests across the whole globe. The Federation is the biggest place, with the most resources, but at its minimum, only 10% of the human population is in the Federation alone. Statistics and research on the Outside led to the discovery of many people who survived to the present day while going with survivability for a century.
 
William could only imagine what the sort of life on a different continent is like. It all seems that the Federation is huge, but it could all be for naught in the grand scheme of the whole Earth.
 
It is a thing within the history, which is not precisely documented, because it could not be very hard to uncover everything. The destruction and lack of care are all the causes of little knowledge transfers. Everything has to be physically researched with teams of Walkers and scientists alike.
 
Breathing in and out in large strides, William walks away into the streets of the Central District. Sun is still across the horizon, but it seems to be there for another a quarter of an hour before it would disappear.
 
“Eat… or not? I would definitely appreciate some water, though. Where do I get it?” William thinks as he walks around the bustling steets.
 
“Maybe a new set of clothes would not hurt either. This is the best I have, but it sure looks nothing like Ellie wears, or that cunning and harsh man named Burton.” William looks at himself and assumes since people around him wear more fitting clothes than the loose and worn-down shirt and fabric trousers he has.
 
Most have jeans that could last a decade of careful wear, while a shirt is a product for a year or two.
 
Deciding at the last minute, William changes direction towards the shopping district he knows is around the perimeter of the Central District.
 
In truth, there are shops with everyday needs absolutely everywhere, since the citizens are taking care of their needs through the credit system that is placed upon them.
 
Most are already used to it, but not William, who has only a few credits within his pocket. He hopes to get some water and check any clothing shops around to see how they are different from the one he knew was at the Roshwell Camp.
 
“Wow, so many people, but no one cares about each other. I guess that is the same everywhere, Outside or here. Everyone looks for themselves and their days. Very humane indeed,” William assumes the obvious sight he has seen everywhere. People in the stall, customers buying products, folks walking leisurely, or at a faster pace. Everyone has an individuality where their lives are what matters.
 
“Oh, a clothing company?” William stops himself as he looks at a big sight above a building. Most of it is stone or brick walls with signs with the intent of what is inside. This is precisely such a shop.
 
Meals and everything else are usually in wide open spaces. Where meals, snacks, and many more could be grabbed to hand, and a person can keep walking, sit around the benches, or stairs that are everywhere.
 
Stars in the fabric, is the name of the shop that William coincidentally finds.
 
Walking inside, there is a smell of wood, and something different from what he is not used to. It is not unpleasant, but not something he finds right.
 
“Greetings, young customer. Can I help you with anything?” An older-looking man politely greets William. Nicely dressed in a custom jacket and vest, with black trousers of nice quality, with a trimmed beard and grey receding hair.
 
“Hello, sir. I am looking around. I came to a federation a couple of days ago, so I am looking for something better to wear.” Willian truthfully says as he looks at himself.
 
The old man laughs as he sees him. “Another lucky person to get to the Federation? Must be fantastic. Back in my day, this decision changed my life forever. As I see you, I suggest a complete overhaul, since everything that you have right now is rather worn down. What young man has to say?” The old man figures him out straight away. A man of his old experience has to figure out his customers straight away.
 
“I agree. May I know what would the cost be? I don’t want to waste your time, sir, if it's too expensive, since I am new to the city.” William politely makes himself clear.
 
“Young man has some good manners. Good. I don’t do samaritan work, but I may give you a good deal. Here, we have regular sets of clothes for 10 credits. It includes light clothing for the hot summer, what is usually here, in the middle of the ocean. It has a shirt, and optional trousers, or shorts with durable fabric made in the Federation.”
 
“10 credits… I have no idea if it is cheap or not.” William carefully considers this option. As he has seen everything, the price for the plate of a full meal is a basic single credit. At least in the stalls outside.
 
“For clothes which could last months and months, this could be usable, even though I do not know about the income of the credits.”
 
“I will take it.” he decides without another thinking of the spending of Luke's credits.
 
“Young man does not have to be so fast. As for the shoes, they are the most useful and most important part of everyday life. Since it is something that people wear for the majority of the day.” The old man explains and shows him a room full of all kinds of shoes. Some are made from fabric, others with leather. Everything looks clean and tidied up.
 
“Yea, I know. It must be more than 10 credits for those.” William assumes as he watches all those nice shoes.
 
These would be sought out in the Camp like candy. Although William knows that such things are regular goods provided by some deals with the military, merchant organizations with the Federation, and other camps.
 
He learned it from madame Anderson, much later than he should have. Just a few years ago. It is usually the farm goods, which are traded with other stationed camps, or with the military, which are within every camp according to certain criteria that even madame Anderson did not completely understand.
 
It all stems from the many trading limits and deals that people are doing to make the best lives possible while maintaining profits to make their own lives better. It is a basic human business standpoint, which has not changed much, even after going through the apocalypse.
0