1- A Dark and Stormy Night
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1- A Dark and Stormy Night

We were riding hard through the night pressing our steeds to the limit. I tried to wipe the rain and mud from my face, a task made almost impossible due to wearing gauntlets. As we drove through the dark and storm, I swore that I would make those low-born usurpers pay.

 

The roar informed us of an upcoming creek that had been swollen to bursting long before we could see it. There ahead of us was a small stone bridge crossing the mouth of the creek before it plunged to the river below. Elzo, my companion and only true knight gripped his reins hard causing his horse to rear up. 

 

A flash of lightning streaked across the land lighting up his fair face and long black hair as he whipped around regaining control of his horse. As always even in conditions such as these I could not help but be jealous of his features which made all the women swoon. While I had been born a prince my features were a bit dumpy, and I had none of Elzo’s refinement or charm. God can be so unfair sometimes!

 

Elzo wheeled around and grabbed my shoulder. “Go my liege! This is the only crossing for leagues around, especially with the water like this. I shall hold the crossing for as long as I can. While I draw breath THEY SHALL NOT PASS.”

 

“NO!” I screamed. “You are the last knight of Frisian left! Too much noble blood has been spilled this night to add yours to the pile. Besides you are my oldest companion and the only person I consider a friend. Surely there must be some other way!”

 

A small smile broke through the water streaming down his face. “While I am touched by your friendship, truly I am, this must be. Those traitors, may they be damned by the seven, will be upon us soon and all will be lost. This is the only defensible place where that can be held. I fear that you are the only royal left.”

 

He grabbed me by my pauldrons and shook me to emphasize every word “YOU. ARE. THE. LAST. ROYAL. That means for the Frisian kingdom to survive you must live. For as long as at least one royal lives, so too does the kingdom. I know that you are a bit indecisive at times, but now you must shake it off and leave me here so the kingdom may live. “

Taking a deep breath, I stared into his eyes. “Truly?”

 

“Truly.”

 

“Then make it count!” We clasped arms like two brothers about to depart the battlefield.

 

“Your will, my hands. Truly, I tell you tonight this river shall run red with the blood of traitors! They shall sing songs of this night in the kingdom reborn. No go!” 

 

Breaking our embrace, he slapped the rear of my horse causing it to charge forward. I drove through the storm unable to tell if the water on my face was rain or my tears. 

 

Forcing my horse forward it only took an hour or two to reach the mouth of the canyon. Stopping on the edge of the cliffs I took a moment to collect myself. Surely, they had engaged Elzo by now. Hopefully, he would make it count.

 

A great pain erupted from my chest along with a warm sticky fluid that could be felt even in this downpour. Trembling, I reached down to find an arrowhead bursting straight through my breastplate. I turned, trying to find where my doom had come from. There on the other side of the canyon leagues away, I could barely make out a figure, even though they were covered with the glowing aura of an active spell.

 

There was only one person that could pull off such a shot at this distance even with magic enhancements. Though I had blood pouring from my mouth I just had to say “F*CK YOU HOLY GIRL!!!!! F*CK YOU HOLY GIbleeeghh…” My last strength failing I fell off the horse, and although I bounced once or twice, I didn’t feel the impact at the bottom of the canyon. 


Author’s Note: Yup, the Frisian kingdom is screwed.

0