10 | Soju, A Man’s Best Friend (남자의 가장 친한 친구, 소주)
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly, like a monsoon, everybody flocked together and started buzzing about the Don’s decision, their voices becoming deafening as they drowned each other out. The group of delinquents only ceased chattering when a handgun went off. The smell of gunpowder drifted in the air.

The rest of the meeting went by in a blur. Jaesung barely listened. Boring political talk sent him to snoozeville along with Feng. He picked up the jist of what was happening at least.

They were going to war with their enemy, their powerful competitor in drugs and weapon dealings, the Pluvia. When it rained, it poured, or so the saying went.

This was their family’s chance to create a name for themselves in the Maniaco. To prove they weren’t the trash that others spat in their faces. Even if their group was called the melting pot where shit went to rot, they’d show them up. Fuckers didn’t stand a chance. Jaesung had a feeling they’d be kissing their asses soon enough.

After the excitement died down, Jaesung and the others made for their regular diner to have a few drinks. The interior was pleasant and welcoming. It reminded him a little of home.

The bitter chill outside wouldn’t affect him after he slammed into a few bottles of soju. Even though the owners agitated him, Jaesung couldn’t pass up a cool bottle of his favorite booze. It was virtually hopeless to locate a spot that sold it in the slums of New York unless you went to Koreatown.

Jaesung picked his favorite spot at the bar, the one cuddled up to the wall. Typically, the spot next to him was vacant or set aside for Jett, but today was full of shocks.

“Why can’t I escape you?” Jaesung groaned into his hands and slumped in his spot. “Can’t even drink in peace.”

An arm wormed its way around Jaesung’s shoulders. “Who said you could speak to your boss like that?”

“Screw it.” Jaesung banged a fist on the bar and yelled. “Where’s my soju? And you! Get your damn arm. Off. Of. Me.”

“What slithered up your ass?” asked Jett. He wiggled his eyebrows from the other side of Vince.

“Don’t assume you’re safe, since you’re not next to me. I know where you sleep, asshole!” Annoyed, Jaesung chugged the drink as quickly as the bartender placed it down. The intense clink of glass hitting a hollow cup rang as Jaesung shoved the empty ones away.

“I look forward to it.” He preferred to not have witnessed Jett’s awful version of a wink.

“Jett! The hell, man?!” Jaesung was one hundred percent positive, his face was beat red. His boss wouldn’t even look at him, but Jaesung spotted his shoulders shaking. “Really? You too? Whatever, chubby.”

Trace and Jett’s roars of laughter danced its way over to Jaesung at his words to their boss.

A slight throbbing formed behind his eyes. “I need another drink.”

Two hours passed, and everyone but Jaesung had retired home. His head was pulsating like someone lifted a bat to it. This was a decision he was going to regret in the morning. What they expected to be a celebration instead turned into a sob fest. Between Vince and Jett, Jaesung wasn’t sure which one was more pathetic. Who sobs while belting out karaoke at the top of their lungs?

The refreshing feeling of the wood bar on his overheated body made it burdensome to raise his head. He knew the minute he lifted it, the world would begin its plan to make him vomit.

“Here. Sober up, kid.”

A voice that sounded oddly like one of the establishment’s owner spoke. A chilled glass of what was most likely water knocked into his hand.

Jaesung wrapped his fingers around the slick glass, head still down, eyes closed. “You’re being awfully nice today, Gael.”

He let out a huff. “Don’t get used to it."

The lull of the low jazz music in the background returned him to dreamland.

Some time had passed before he once again woke from his intoxicated slumber. Faint footsteps and the slight gust of someone sitting by him caused him to crack his one eye.

A sharp onyx and maroon-colored suit invaded his field of vision, practically blinding him. Jaesung sighed outwardly and mumbled. “Who wears that color and thinks it looks good?”

“I see we meet again.”

The hair on Jaesung’s neck stood up. He jumped in his chair, neck cracking, the back of his skull almost banging into the wall. “Fuck!”

Fully awake, he came face to face with a guy he had not expected to see again. He wiped the drool from the edge of his lips. “Pink suit guy?”

0