Special Chapter: Night Before Departure
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cloud Lake: The Northern World of the Four Twins, Night Parade Main Branch

Year: 1511

Aria woke up feeling damp and humid despite the frigid night air that flowed in from the open patio doors. With a groan and stiff motions, she raised her body. Her sickly and deep breaths left puffs of white in the darkness. 

However, she didn’t pay much direct attention to her body’s condition. Instead, her eyes glowed with a soft intensity as they focused on the view outside. Her dreams lingered in her glare. It felt like even the falling snow that caught her sight could be melted. 

As a special existence in the sect, she possessed her own building that was isolated from the other residences and although it wasn’t officially registered in the sect’s records, the entire mountain valley was under her control. 

Even though the land only amounted to a small portion of the grounds that made up Night Parade, it still couldn’t be considered trivial when it belonged to only one person. Of course, there used to be complaints. But after much blood and bruises, the complaints seemingly stopped. 

It was indeed a place of infamy, and typically no would dare to step foot even close the outer perimeter. Any messages or deliveries were done with some form of magic. Yet, despite all that, there was currently a presence in her home. 

Despite being feverish, her inherent heightened senses easily picked up the man in the room. 

Still, although she knew of the intruder, she didn’t give it much thought right away. Her body was simply too hot. Even the cold air did little to appease the heat emanating from her body.

Aria’s eyes flickered to a corner of her bedroom. She was not alarmed nor surprised, recognizing the figure as Shiki. 

The man always had a mysterious and reserved quality. No matter how close he got, there was always a seemingly intangible distance. This kind of sensibility made him different from the typical exorcists and demonfolk that resided at Night Parade. 

Seeing him here, Aria was certain that he had picked up on her plan. She was finally going to leave her home world and venture across the stars. 

Aria sat up allowing her blankets to fall, leaving only her nightgown against the cold. It felt nice and her blood cooled slightly, so she enjoyed the feeling a bit before meeting Shiki’s soft look. It drew her in, especially the way his heterochromatic eyes glowed red and gold. She was aware that he usually hid the true nature of his eyes—whether with physical obstructions or illusions. But she could only sigh seeing them now.

Perhaps because she stared too long, Shiki finally spoke. “You should rest more.”

Instead of complying, Aria arose from her bed and walked out onto the patio. She took a seat and stared at the heavens above. The iconic smiling moon of Night Parade stared back with its wicked grin. 

“I’m going to…” her words came out slowly as she took a breath, “miss it.”

“So you have made your decision.”

Aria glared at him but didn’t smack his face despite the soft smile he gave that was begging for a beating. “Isn’t that why you are here?”

Shiki laughed, and then said questioningly, “I like you?” 

Aria raised her eyebrow. “What?”

“I said I love you.”

“Hold on for a second. Idiot-shiki.” Her words were harsh and cold and were followed by a sigh. But there was also a slight blush as she looked away from Shiki. The tone of her voice became tender with the next words. “Don’t just change like to love.”

“Is that so?”

“It is common sense.” She unconsciously winded up her arm while cracking her wrist. 

“I see. But I stand by what I said.”

“Idiot-Shiki.” She repeated her insult, a thing she had grown accustomed to saying. Something that she wouldn’t get to say as often after leaving…  

“You’re not going to return the words?”

Aria looked deeply towards the sky again and didn’t reply for some time. “You already know my answer. And you already know I wasn’t going to say anything. I already made the choice…”

“You’re not very good at this.”

“This isn’t something I can beat up.” Aria said seriously, causing Shiki to laugh again.

“Is that the quality that determines the difficulty of something?”

“Of course.” Aria gave a smug smile. “I never had to beat someone up as much as I beat you up.”

There was a flutter of wings and a red bat appeared. He was one of the main familiars Aria used.  “That is because you are a tsundere, princess.” 

“Was it my fault this fucker was so dense?” Aria shook her head.

Katan’s mouth was agape. At the same time, another flutter of wings could be heard and a blue bat appeared. “Princess… I think you’re ruining the moment with your vulgarity.”

Aria feigned betrayal. “What is this? Raitan is that really you? My favorite and innocent child… w-when did you learn to talk back.”

The blue bat began to cry and hid behind Katan, who answered, “That is because we have been waiting for this moment.”

“We?” Aria raised her eyebrow as she spread out her aura across the night scenery. “Did you know about this?” Aria glared at Shiki.

“Hahaha.” Shiki laughed but didn’t say anything, yet his shameless expression said it all.  He was lifted into the air and launched at a group of spectators that were now cowering among the shrubbery and trees.

Despite Shiki colliding with several people, hundreds of spectators were frozen in place at Aria’s bloodlust filled smile. 

“Is every fucker here?” Aria cracked her shoulders and fingers. Her shout was followed by white-blue flames. The fire lit up the sky, causing everyone to awake from their stupor and begin running.

But no one could escape and a massacre, filled with echoing screams, commenced. Only when mountains of unconscious bodies filled the sect did these screams stop. Even her father’s figure could be found among the seemingly lifeless corpses. 

If even her father, who was also the sect master, couldn’t escape from her wrath it was apparent that no one was able to escape. As such, when Aria’s rage finally ended there were only two people left. 

“I feel stupid now.” Aria sighed while covered with what appeared to be blood. Her fever was completely gone by this point like it never happened. 

“It’s their way of saying goodbye.” Shiki mused. He sounded fine but various bruises covered his body. His irritating smile remained; his gaze seemed to linger on her own lips. Aria knew that it wasn’t for the sake of kissing them, but just to watch the smile they gave. He really was irritating. 

“All I see is everyone being bothersome to the end.” She sighed, unable to stop her smile from growing. 

Nonetheless, Aria turned away and pulled out a paintbrush and with one stroke a portal appeared. She grabbed Katan and Raitan’s lifeless bodies and threw them through the portal. After taking one step through the portal, Aria looked back with a red face.

“I sort of…” she paused, “like you too.” As she said these words, she disappeared. The lingering image of Shiki waving at her was left in her mind. As if that was the sign, all the bodies stood up and shouted and appeared to congratulate Shiki.

“He did it!” 

“He certainly did.”

“Finally!”

“He really conquered the Tyrant Princess!”

“All hail the new young master, Shiki.”

It was then that a portal reappeared and a figure stepped out of it, causing everyone to stop.

“Ah sorry to ruin your guys moods,” she cracked her knuckles, “But I have forgotten to grab something.”

Screams filled the morning air and only when everyone appeared truly motionless did the tyrant disappear for real. This time when she left there were no applauses, but instead just groans. 

Nonetheless, when news of the event spread across the four worlds of the Four Twins, events began to move in earnest. Of course, the culprit, Aria, was unaware that she was the catalyst of such things. 

At the same time, various young masters across the cosmos all felt an irritating, yet ominous, itch. This was the first warning to the approaching doom that awaited them. 

1