Chapter 28
83 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So you've probably noticed - new cover! VCampan did the art, I did the admittedly kinda lackluster typography. I probably should find someone to do a more professional logo or something.

Anyway, you can find a higher-quality version of the cover and the art here.

While Estella was thriving under the sudden surge of attention from becoming an instant celebrity, the government immediately stepped in. Having all the witnesses around in one place made it a lot easier to perform mass memory manipulation - anyone outside of the main group who knew about the trio’s true identities now, well, didn’t, a lot of people now had it in their heads that it couldn’t be the sisters, and apparently no information about said identities leaked onto social media, meaning their secret identities were now secret once more, which was something of a relief. Mostly. Estella still enjoyed the attention, to a degree.

Still, now they actually had to deal with the government properly. Agent Yang seemed like a decent bloke, and he promised they’d discuss matters over the weekend.

So the sisters stayed at home the next day, lounging around the living room that Saturday morning.

We really need a team name,” Anja said as she sat at the kitchen table, scrolling on her phone. “We’re a household name, but the media can’t agree on what to call us.”

“‘Henshin Sisters’ would work if our identities weren’t a secret again,” Natalia said, sitting in reverse on the couch, arms on the back, “we do all ‘transform’, I guess. Estella’s a ‘magical girl’, you’re a 90’s comic book anti-heroine, and I’m some kind of sentai soldier or something. It’s not that hard to make the connection.”

Estella was leaning against a wall, staring out a window. She was just happy the front of the house wasn’t being swarmed by ‘fans’. She certainly enjoyed the attention, without a doubt, but there was a reason a lot of superheroes in fiction maintained secret identities. Anja apparently didn’t care, but Estella and Natalia still liked to have some modicum of privacy.

She ended up raising this issue after having put it off since the day before - “did we make a mistake by revealing our identities? Sure, that’s all been cleaned up now, but still.”

I’m surprised you brought it up first, Es,” Natalia blinked, and quickly side-eyed Anja. “At least two of us are wondering that.”

Don’t look at me, I figured it was inevitable the moment people started talking,” said Anja, shaking her head. “You guys had to expose yourselves because there was no way to change without doing so that involved putting people at risk. I’ll cop to not talking to you two before exposing myself, but after what happened yesterday…”

No, I get it,” Natalia sighed. “I’m not happy about it, but I get why you did it. Trying to keep up the facade would’ve been too mentally exhausting for you.”

Coming into the living room, accompanied by Clarette, was Agent Yang. “For what it’s worth, ladies, the government already knew your identities. Good morning.”

Agent Yang,” Estella nodded to him, “so why haven’t you guys gone after us for vigilantism?”

We could certainly have tried, but the Commissioner decided it would be a waste of time and goodwill. As far as we’re concerned, you’re technically being sponsored by a friendly allied state, and in particular, Estella, you are an Arcane Knight’s apprentice. Like hell we’re going to turn down the aid of one,” Yang said as he nodded to Clarette.

The Commissioner is an interesting fellow. I went to meet him last night. You’ll likely be meeting him fairly soon as well,” Clarette said. “Thankfully we’ve come to a reasonable arrangement, he’ll allow us to continue operating as we have now until this crisis is over.”

Fair enough, I’m okay with that,” Estella nodded.

Suddenly, Natalia’s laptop on the kitchen table sounded off - a video call request. Natalia immediately hopped over the back of the couch, checking the screen, her eyes widening. “Oh my God. It’s our Mums.”

Took them long enough to call. Guess things going nuts down here was enough reason,” Anja said, as the sisters moved in front of the camera.

Well, time to meet the mysterious Kendricks,” Clarette remarked, as she and Yang also moved into the camera’s view.

When Natalia answered the call, two faces appeared on the screen, in a hotel room. On the left side of the screen was a Caucasian woman with shoulder-length blue hair and green eyes, sitting in a relaxed posture with a simple long-sleeved shirt and vest. Ryana Kendrick grinned as she waved, “hi, girls! We’ve heard you’ve been busy!”

The other side had a Japanese woman with long back hair with a streak going off to the side at the front, blue eyes and a more formal posture. Her more feminine dress further contrasted her from her wife. “Hello, dears. We have a lot to talk about.”

I’d say ‘you have no idea’, but I suspect you do,” Natalia smiled, “hi, Mums!”

Estella grinned, “Mums! Heya! Geez, took you long enough to call!”

Hey, Rya, Atti,” Anja smiled softly with a lazy wave. “It’s good to see your faces again.”

Atsuko’s eyes narrowed as she seemingly focused on Clarette and Yang. “Who are these?”

Uh, right,” Natalia laughed sheepishly, gesturing to Clarette and Yang, “um, Arcane Knight Clarette Leigh and Agent Yang from the Paranormal Activities Commission.”

So you’re their parents. Yes, now this explains quite a lot,” Clarette said. “It’s a pleasure. I’d like to talk to you both in private once you’ve caught up with your daughters. Please don’t mind us.”

The Commissioner has everything under control,” said Yang.

And yet this happened under his nose,” Atsuko said with some wariness in her tone, her eyes narrowing.

Look, Mum, some… Serious shit happened out of nowhere, and we made the best of a bad situation,” said Estella as she tried to wrest control of the conversation. “I know you probably don’t approve of us getting involved in all of this, but we’re keeping the town safe as best we can.”

Atsuko’s stare indicated that she wasn’t totally convinced. Ryana, however, turned to her, “Atti, darling, we saw the videos of them in action that Gurumarra passed on to us. They’re new at this, but they seem pretty capable so far. We already had this discussion with Gurumarra.”

I know, Rya, but…” Atsuko grit her teeth, looking away from the camera. “I know you three are adults and can make your own choices on whether or not to fight, but… I have my reasons to be worried.”

Still, you girls were amazing yesterday. We only saw clips, but still,” Ryana giggled, turning back to the camera. “I for one am very proud of all three of you.”

Atsuko took a deep breath, looked back at the camera with a smile. “I wish we’d been informed earlier, but yes. You’ve become stronger than I ever expected, so soon. I can’t believe I underestimated my own daughters. I’m so very proud of you.”

They’re all quite capable, despite being amateurs,” Clarette remarked playfully. Estella knew she didn’t mean it as a dig at them.

Anja actually perked up from the compliment. “Thank you. You have no idea how happy that makes me. And I guess Es and Nat feel the same way.”

Well, duh,” Estella smirked. That really went without saying.

Thanks,” Natalia smiled. “You taught us to do the right thing when it counts.”

Ryana nodded to Atsuko. “I think they’re ready for the truth, dear.”

Atsuko sighed. “Yes, I suppose you’re correct. How much have you figured out?”

That magic was involved in our conceptions and at least one of you two is from a magical bloodline,” Natalia said.

That’s correct. We agreed it was high time we told the truth… Or at least most of it. There are some parts that you’re not ready to know yet.”

Estella looked at Natalia, who looked like she was about to explode. She could understand how frustrated she must be with only knowing some of the truth.

Clarette put a hand on Natalia’s shoulder. “If it’s what I think it is, Natalia, then she’s right, you’re not ready for that. Trust me when I say they have good reasons for that. I understand your frustration, but that’s the truth of the matter.”

That actually deflated Natalia’s anger, and she sighed. “Okay. I suppose I should be happy that we finally get to know some of the truth.

Natalia, sweetie, it’s been tearing the two of us both up inside as much as it’s been frustrating you, believe me,” Ryana said. “But now that you’re aware of the world of the paranormal and can defend yourselves? We’ve got no reason to hold back the parts that should at least answer most of your questions.”

Atsuko nodded. “Let’s start from the beginning. I’m a mage from Thaumia - I went to Earth for my own reasons, and met Ryana when she was in high school.”

My darling was so distant back then. Didn’t want to talk to anyone. I managed to befriend her with some persistence,” Ryana giggled, nudging Atsuko with her elbow playfully.

Atsuko smiled softly. “Indeed. Then… Shortly after her graduation, Ryana disappeared. Her parents had been mind-altered to believe she had died years ago. I managed to follow her trail, however, and discovered the truth - she had been kidnapped by a shadowy organisation dedicated to unethical experimentation.”

As it happened… I had been considered an ideal candidate for, well… I think Natalia is quite familiar with a similar process at this point,” Ryana said, her eyes glowing.

Natalia gasped. “Mum… You’re cyborg?!

Estella noticed that Anja’s jaw would’ve hit the floor if it could. And Estella had a similar reaction. The magic stuff was something they had been expecting at this point, but fucking cybernetics too?!

Probably less refined than yours in some ways, Natalia, since it wasn’t alien technology, but yeah,” Ryana said, pulling up her sleeve as her arm transformed into some kind of arm cannon, showing it off for several seconds before she changed it back to normal. “All four of my limbs are entirely robotic, my eyes were replaced, and I’ve got electronics, wiring and internal body armour all over the rest of my body. I’ve needed regular maintenance to continue passing off as a normal human being. So now you know what those ‘medical checkups’ were.”

Ah, right - Ryana supposedly had some kind of long-term condition that needed regular check-ups from doctors in Sydney. This… Explained a lot, really, as far as Estella was concerned. “Bloody hell.

My cybernetics didn’t replace anything, just integrated into my existing organs via nanotech. Losing your limbs and eyes… Yikes, that’s some cyberpunk shit,” Natalia winced.

When I found her, she was a brainwashed slave of the organisation, little more than a killing machine. I managed to fix her mind, but the mental trauma had already been inflicted. That I couldn’t fix - if that were possible, I would’ve fixed you as well, Anja,” Atsuko said. “Together, we resolved to destroy the organisation, free the innocent people being experimented upon, and bring the perpetrators to justice.”

Ah, right, that case. That was long before my time, but the Commissioner was definitely involved,” Yang sighed, arms crossed, “talk about a shitshow. Those bastards had secret labs all over the globe. When the director of the United States Extranormal Activity Division found out what was happening under his nose, he was furious.

I have not heard about this. Seems some rather exciting things were going on around Earth that didn’t reach the ears of those in Thaumia,” said Clarette, stroking her chin,

You smoked those sons of bitches, right? Skullfucked every last one of them?” Anja asked.

I wouldn’t use those words, but yes, with some help, we shut down their operations and rounded up every single one of them we could find to hand over to local authorities,” Atsuko said. “After that… Ryana and I got married, and once we properly settled down, we decided to have children. I gave birth to Estella and Natalia, while Ryana gave birth to Anja.”

I don’t want to know how that happened,” Estella said flatly. “Even though I have a pretty good idea…”

Oh, yeah, the night when you were conceived was quite fun, to say the least,” Ryana grinned. “We had a lot of fun experimenting with magic, and-”

-MUM.”

"Get used to it, Estella. Same-sex partners using magic as a means of conceiving children are not uncommon, especially in Thaumia,” Clarette said, putting a hand on Estella’s shoulder. Her tone was at least sympathetic - she had seen and heard a lot of weird things in her time, from what Estella understood.

Darling, please don’t embarrass our daughter in front of her mentor,” Atsuko sighed.

Maybe when she can maintain a relationship for more than six months,” Ryana said playfully.

Estella winced. “Hey, me and Jay-”

-broke up weeks ago,” Anja said.

ANJA!”

Not gonna let you get away with bullshitting our Mums, Es.”

Estella wanted to strangle Anja right there, but she immediately wilted under Atsuko’s disapproving gaze as Ryana doubled over in laughter. “Really, Estella? I thought you and Jay actually had something going right for once.”

I thought so too, but I guess the spark just went out,” Estella sighed. She really did feel bad about the breakup. “We’re still very good friends, but yeah.”

Atsuko cleared her throat. “Getting back on topic… The reason we’re away from home so much is because we’re actively investigating and hunting down remnants of the organisation. We didn’t feel comfortable with leaving you girls alone for such long periods before you graduated from high school, but now that you three are adults and should be more independent…”

Yeah, we get it,” Natalia nodded. “It’d be nice if you could come home and help out, but I think we can handle things from here.”

I hope so, otherwise we’re going to give your mentors a piece of our minds,” Ryana chuckled. “We’ll talk more later, especially once the crisis is over with. We love you, and we’re so proud of how strong you’ve become!”

Atsuko smiled, “keep fighting the good fight, our dear daughters. Give this ‘Emperor’ hell for us.”

You got it,” Estella grinned, with a thumbs up. “Love you too!”

Anja nodded, “will do. Seeya.”

And thank you, for finally being honest with us,” Natalia smiled, “love you, bye!”

The call didn’t end there, but instead Clarette and Yang had a more private talk with their parents, complete with domes around the entire table blocking both sight and sound so nobody could eavesdrop.

Estella opened to head out to the backyard. With an illusory field around the entire area, nobody could tell that anyone was there, nevermind the ship. But regardless, she just wanted to get some fresh air.

She stopped as she noticed someone out on the grass, burning something. Arika was sitting down on plastic mat, burning some plants and mixing the ashes with leaves. The smell was… Interesting, to put it charitably. “Arika, are you making drugs?”

You told me not to do it inside, so I ain’t!” Arika giggled, before chewing on a bit of the mixture.

Frankly that was entirely fair and Estella couldn’t blame anyone but herself for walking into that one. Besides, she had done a few joints before, if this stuff was okay for her health, then it probably was okay… Right?

Estella sat down in front of her, deciding she could spend some time relaxing on the grass for a while. “Are you just addicted, or do you really need this stuff for what you do?

Arika tapped her chin with her finger. “I guess I don’t really need it? But it helps a lot.”

And you really gotta get high to see the spiritual side of things?”

It’s more about loosening up and not becoming too attached to physical reality. Drugs like these are specifically for that, not just for getting high. I guess in scientific terms they stimulate certain parts of the brain? I dunno, that ain’t my thing. Point is, well, you gotta disconnect yourself mentally from things that you focus on in the physical world. Sure, this is good shit, but it’s also good for flushing that stress that keeps you anchored. You can’t fly if you’ve got bricks tied to your legs.”

I don’t think that analogy works so well with magic, but I get what you’re trying to say,” Estella chuckled.

Arika held out a sample of the mixture. “Come on, chew on this. It’s safe, I promise.”

Estella wasn’t so sure, but ultimately curiosity and her trust in Arika won her over. What was the worst that could happen? She took the sample, and began chewing on it. It was an odd flavour, but wasn’t bad. But when was the high going to kic-

-oh wait there it was. The world became more vibrant. She took deep breaths as she tried to brace herself for what she assumed would be an acid trip. She was quite wrong. This was a whole different beast in terms of intoxication, but now she understood kinda why Arika was so functional. She swore she could see the flow of Aether in everything around her. In the corners of her vision she swore she could see shapeless things moving around, and both nearby and in the distance outlines of things that shouldn’t be there. It was incredibly intense, but not in a negatively stressful way, but the way she felt her mental connection to physical reality loosen also made her feel like she could fall through the ground at any moment. “Holy shit.

See, now you’re getting it!”

How do you not lose yourself in all of this? I feel like the ground’s gonna give way at any moment.”

Practice and years of getting used to it. That’s not even my strongest stuff, lemme tell you.”

Your life must be fuckin’ wild, girl.

Arika laid down on her back, looking up at the sky. “Yeah, I guess so. Grew up in the bush. The only friends I had growing up were other witches in my coven. I’m the daughter of the coven’s leader, you know, so you can imagine the baggage that came with it. This stuff helped a lot when it came to helping me cope.”

And you’re not worried that you’re addicted and you wouldn’t be able to live without it?”

I do wonder that sometimes, sure. I ain’t stupid. But I know I’m not a ‘normal’ girl, and I don’t think I’ll ever be,” Arika said, looking down at the ingredients in front of her. “My coven’s something of an isolated community, I guess, most of us generally don’t interact with outsiders. I did have something of a ‘normal’ childhood, in a loose sense - friends, a proper education, entertainment from outside… But when you’re watching TV and seeing how life is on the outside and how different it is from yours, well, it’s hard not to feel the disconnect.”

Estella nodded. She got the picture, easily. Sure, she hadn’t spent a day in this girl’s shoes, but she could imagine what kind of life it might’ve been. Did the coven even have internet access? In fact, she swore she could see images in the smoke rising from the still smouldering ashes as Arika talked - either that was magic or an effect of the drugs. Or both. Either way, it was… Interesting. “Yeah, I get what you mean. I’m surprised you’re so upbeat, though.”

Arika grinned widely. “Never said I had a bad childhood. My folks just tried their best to give me a happy one, and for that I’ll be forever grateful.”

At least her folks sounded like they were alright. Estella saw the vague figures of a young girl hugging her parents in the smoke. “Well, my parents did their best as well. Though unfortunately, parents can’t control everything. Anja was almost a completely different person a few years ago, until her boyfriend was killed right in front of her.”

Yikes, no wonder she’s so moody.”

Believe me, she was a lot worse before she started getting therapy sessions. Seeing her shut down was… Horrible.” Visions of Estella’s memories of that time echoed around her, from Anja sobbing uncontrollably at Matt’s funeral to days where she’d refuse to get out of bed in the morning.

Losing people hurts a lot. Sometimes it can drive right into your heart sharper than any blade,” Arika nodded sorrowfully. “You and Nat seem more well-adjusted, though?”

I wouldn’t say we don’t have our own issues. Nobody does. My love life is a complete mess and Natalia has problems with our parents keeping secrets.” More flashes, this time of her various lovers, and Natalia getting into arguments with their parents. “Even now that we know most of the truth, Nat doesn’t seem too happy that they’re still holding back some of it from us.”

Not gonna pry about that,” Arika chuckled, as she chewed on some more of her mixture. “And you’ve got newer problems. We still need to get Gulara’s brainwashing out of your head.”

Ugh, don’t remind me,” Estella groaned, rubbing her temples. “We definitely still should, though… Okay. How’re we gonna go about it, then?”

Well, firstly, we need you to sleep when Gulara obviously isn’t gonna be,” Arika said, “sometime this morning, probably. At that point we’ll take off the dreaming seal Aurelius put on you.”

Might as well do it now.

Alright, lemme pack up and we’ll meet up in your bedroom, then,” Arika chuckled. “This’ll be interesting.”

Estella wasn’t expecting to be using Arika’s lap as a pillow, but she wasn’t exactly complaining. “Is this really the best way to do this?”

Eh. I haven’t done dreamwalking like this in a while, so it’s probably best that we’re, uh, maintaining direct contact, I guess. The alternative is getting right into bed with you,” Arika smirked.

You say that like that’d be too awkward,” Estella smirked. “You’re cute enough that I’d be down for sleeping with you.”

That got a giggle out of Arika, who put her hand on Estella’s forehead. “Maybe later. Okay, I’m gonna put you directly to sleep. Remember, while I’m gonna be helping out, a lot of this is gonna be on you to regain your dream self’s willpower. Ready?”

Yeah, gotcha. Do it.”

Arika started muttering in an Aboriginal language, and before long, Estella felt drowsy. She closed her eyes, and willingly embraced the spell being cast upon her.

Her eyes fluttered open again as she found herself elsewhere, standing up straight. The only source of illumination was a bonfire several meters in front of her, in a forest clearing. People were dancing and eating around her, dressed in little more than loincloths. Her manner of dress was no different.

Before she could move, she immediately recalled her purpose, and remained still. It was demanded of her by her mistress, and she would not disobey. After all, she was but a living trophy, not to move or speak unless ordered otherwise.

It was something that had affected her mind the most as Mistress Gulara subjected her to numerous sub-dream scenarios while trying to break her will - a combination of the sensation of helplessness and being watched by other people. From being turned into things like a parade balloon or a statue or a literal trophy, to simply being on display such as in a set of stocks. The attention excited her in a perverse way, and between the enormous strain on her mind and the suggestions worming her way into her mind, Estella had been convinced of her purpose, to be Mistress Gulara’s personal living trophy.

She could feel the countless eyes gazing upon her body, and formed a dopey smile on her face, her eyes drooping. The only thing that felt better than this was being used by her mistress.

There you are, my pet,” said a dream facsimile of her Mistress, walking over and groping her ass confidently. “Have you simply not been dreaming, or were your dreams sealed away? Either way, the real me will be most pleased when she gets her hands on you.”

This facsimile had been made so Mistress Gulara could continue her conditioning even when she wasn’t asleep or focused on someone else.

Estella did not move an inch, nor speak in response. She just enjoyed her mistress’ praise and her wandering gaze.

Yes, good girl. This suits you quite well, I think,” the imitation laughed as she fondled Estella’s breasts with both hands from behind, before reaching down and caressing her swollen, pregnant belly. “And your rebirth is coming along as scheduled. I’m going to enjoy watching you-”

Estella heard something stab into the imitation’s body - something yanked on her, causing her to spin Estella around. Arika’s hair had spiked right through the dream imitation’s chest. She snarled, looking back at Arika, “damn it, you pest, I need to warn-”

I think not.” A blade, specifically Galowye, sliced right through the imitation of her mistress, causing her to dissolve into mist. The sword was held by an older gentleman, wearing what looked like a medieval knight’s armour. The voice that came from his mouth was Galowye’s voice. “Looks like you managed to bring me into the dream as well. Excellent.”

The crowd around them stopped, and began turning towards the pair, with hostility in their eyes. Arika frowned, “Galowye, you handle the dream people, I’ll snap Estella out of it!”

Understood,” Galowye nodded, and began hacking and slashing through the incoming coven with ease.

Arika stepped over to Estella, shaking her, “Estella, snap out of it! The hell are you doing?!”

Estella did not speak or move. That was not her function.

Arika sighed, putting her fingers on Estella’s temples, delving into her thoughts. “Come on…”

I am a mere trophy. I shall not move or speak unless ordered to. I am helpless. I have no agency. I am only to be touched and admired by my mistress and the coven. I am-

Geez, she did a number on your dream self’s psyche… And you like this?! Seriously?! Are you that much of exhibitionist?!

That comment was enough for her to lose her focus on her purpose, glaring at Arika indignantly, “exhibitionist?!”

You’re getting off on people admiring your body, you know, I can feel it from your thoughts.”

Estella found herself blushing, “and what’s wrong with that…?”

Arika slapped her, “that’s not the point! You’re literally just standing around like a mindless statue! Is that what you actually want to do?!”

Estella stumbled back, feeling her cheek. She should be outraged at the mere suggestion of defying the purpose set out for her by her Mistress, but… Arika’s words resonated with her. Seriously, what was she doing? Why was she-

She groaned, clutching her head as she struggled to fend off the conditioning. “Ugh… She really did a number on my head… Six whole hours of trying to brainwash me…”

That’s actually kinda impressive, but nevermind that!” Arika put her fingers on Estella’s temples again, “let me in, and I’ll help you purge whatever she’s put in your head.”

Estella didn’t resist Arika’s intrusion into her mind, and suddenly, resisting the conditioning felt so much more easier. Her mind cleared up they both purged it of the intrusive thoughts.

Arika stepped back, smiling, “there we go. How do ya feel?”

So much better, thanks,” Estella said. Then she realised there was still hostiles around them, but since this was her dream, she focused on making everything stop, and suddenly time seemed to freeze, with only herself, Arika and Galowye still moving. “Okay. We’re good.”

Welcome back, my knight,” Galowye said, as he walked over, cleaning his, well, sword. “Six hours, did I hear that right? That’s fairly impressive for one with little training in resisting mental conditioning.”

Estella sighed, looking down at her belly. “The fact that she succeeded at all sucks, though. And now my dream self got knocked up. Fan-fucking-tastic. I guess I gotta have a dream abortion…”

You’re in control of this dream, including your own body. Gulara doesn’t have any hold over you anymore, so you can just… Get rid of it,” Arika said.

Estella went with her advice, focusing on making the thing in her womb just… Disappear. She could feel it disintegrate, as her belly slowly returned to its normal shape. “Awesome, we’re done here… Also…” She turned to Galowye, “that’s a good look for you, old timer.”

Galowye chuckled, nodding to her, “why, thank you. I rarely get a chance to use a body like this, so I’ll cherish it as much as I can.”

Maybe one day I could help you get a more permanent body.”

Once my work is done and I’m ready to ‘retire’, perhaps. But not a moment earlier. Still, I appreciate the thought, Estella. Thank you.”

Estella groaned as she sat up on her bed. “So that’s what she did to me. Fucking hell.”

From what I can tell, she exploited your exhibitionist streak and conditioned you to associate it with helplessness and obedience,” Arika said. “But I ain’t a psychologist, so… Still, explains the way you dress.”

I… I do like showing off like that, yeah,” Estella blushed, turning to Arika. “If I wasn’t a waitress, I’d half-consider becoming a stripper, but my parents wouldn’t approve.”

I’d pay for a private show~” Arika grinned, with a wink.

That got a laugh out of Estella. “Are you a lesbian or bisexual?”

Oh, I’m bi. A lot of us witches are. Magic does a lot for making same-sex partnerships viable for having kids,” Arika chuckled.

Yeah, don’t I know it. Thanks for fixing me up.”

As I said, I only helped. There’s no way I would’ve been able to do it without you reasserting your own willpower.”

Well, even still… I think you deserve a little more than just thanks.” Estella leaned over to kiss Arika on the lips. Arika seemed initially surprised, but she leaned into the kiss.

And then the door opened as Anja proceeded to ruin the moment. “Hey, Es, Yang wants to talk to-uh, should I even ask?”

They broke the kiss, and Estella chuckled, “oh, you know, just thanking her for helping me fix up my dream self. Long story.”

Uh-huh. Look, you’ve been kinda keeping us waiting, so come on already,” Anja said, as she walked away.

Your sister needs some of the good stuff, I think,” Arika smirked.

You might be right,” Estella chuckled, getting off the bed. “Come on, let’s go see what Yang wants to talk to us about.”

1