Chapter 9: A Rude Awakening
141 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BOOM!

2 forces collided, creating a symphony of destruction. Sparks flew across the screen, a clash between Claire’s purple miasma and Servant’s blinding strikes.

<Skill, [Shadow Step], activating>

Claire rushed forward, going straight on the offensive. Her avatar slipped into the shadows, her screen turning dark. With precise control, she clicked a few keys. Who knew that all her reflex training would someday be used for a game?

Clang

With a damning tap, the view on her screen returned, her avatar right in front of Servant. She immediately attacked, her blade colliding with the handle of Servant’s reinforced staff. Seeing the red flares on Servant’s palms, she stepped back, an array of fireballs appearing behind Servant. Damn this treasure hunter. 500 total, that’s how many fireballs she could make out on screen.

What kind of nonsense is this?

A wicked grin grew on her face, the pace of her clicking speeding up. The fireballs flew toward her, coming in from all directions. Staffs were annoying in the sense that she had to try to avoid the attack, lest her health takes a hit.

<Skill, [Rending], activating>

She initiated a quick button combo, her avatar raising its blade into the air. A black flash appeared around her, destroying a majority, but not all the fireballs.

Crash!

A few stray ones hit her avatar, her health bar dropping into critical.

Argh! Claire winced.

She wasn’t fast enough earlier, and it had cost her. She no longer had leeway for any offensive tactics and was forced into a defensive position. During the time it took for Servant to regenerate his mana, she moved back, moving her blade into her inventory. Equipping a devilish-looking bow, she drew and aimed.

<Skill, [Punisher] activating>

A brilliant purple aura formed around her bow, slowly charging and expanding. Timing it just right, waiting for Servant to pick up his staff once more, she fired.

Whoosh!

The arrow flew like light, exploding into shards and knocking Servant’s avatar into the ground. A grin on her face, Claire reequipped her blade and began running.

Both were low on health, so this was her last chance to kill Servant before he could make a comeback. Seeing Claire’s offensive, Servant started casting again, the realisation that the spell wasn’t instant instantly told Claire that it was a big one. That didn’t matter though, because fighting with her rival for so long, she knew exactly what to expect.

[Boredservant]: Die you bastard!

Checkmate Servant!

<Skill, [Beelzebub the Gluttonous], activating>

Another one of the signature skill her class gave her access to. Or actually, her previous class.

A ghoulish grey covered Claire’s blade, slicing straight through Servant’s Cyclone.

<Skill, [Shadow Step] activating>

Darkness covered Claire's screen once more, but now it was in commemoration of her victory. 2 clicks were all it took, Servant’s back appeared on Claire's screen as she impaled her blade into it. His avatar slowly turned around and Claire typed a quick message into the chat box.

[Heartstealingthief]: You first, number 2.

Both her and Servant’s health bars disappeared from view, a notification popping up in front of her.

<You have won the duel>

“Mission clear!”

Claire stood up from her chair and struck a guts pose in celebration of her victory. A large grin on her face, she sat back down on her chair, turning the pages of her notebook to a page filled with tallies. She jotted down a stroke in the column with her name above it, the number of tallies overshadowing the column next to it. Glowering in her victory, she quickly sent a message to Servant.

Clack clack

[Heartstealingthief]: What were you thinking? Challenging me, knowing you were going to lose anyway.

[Boredservant]: …

Claire smiled to herself while sending a few more back-and-forth messages between her and Servant. Basking in her victory for a little longer, Claire slowly walked her avatar towards the gate.

[Heartstealingthief]: Alright, this is for real this time.

Claire interacted with the gate as a pop-up message appeared.

<Would you like to enter? Yes/No>

Click

The final floor. Let’s do this.

Claire braced herself as she confirmed her action, her heart pounding in anticipation. A system notification pinged her upon her confirmation.

<Commenc- >

<Commencing transport>

A bright light filled up her room, her vision growing dark.

Ugh, my head is on fire.

“Are you alright my lady?”

“Don’t mind me, Dahlia, I’m just thinking of something.”

“As you wish, my lady.”

Inside a well-light room sat a young woman, who looked to be around 16 years old. She had long platinum blonde hair and a slender face.

Her ethereal purple eyes, like amethysts, who drew in whoever stared into them for too long.

Claire, or rather Lillian Silverveil, the 3rd princess of the Silverveil kingdom. Her head was pounding, her eyes drawn to the mirror in front of her.

This isn’t real, right? This couldn’t be real.

She was currently in internal conflict, her head rested on the heel of her palm.

Her eyes slightly dazed, she pinched her right cheek with her free hand, the pain biting her cheek more that it should have. Ow!

It had been 1 day, or more accurately one night, since Lillian had gained her memories, or more accurately regained her memories.

She still didn’t know what to call it, the phenomenon that she found herself in. The sensation was indescribable, it was as if she was herself, but also not herself.

Just trying to make sense of it punctured a hole through her brain, but only a truly crazy person wouldn’t have tried to consider what happened to themselves if they found themselves in her situation.

It had happened suddenly, just as she was about to get into bed, that wave of pain hit her, taking all her effort not to vocally express her pain.

She was truly lucky that it was at night and that she was alone, because the few hours after that were some of the weirdest times of her life.

No way it’s real, I lost to Servant and went insane, and that led to whatever’s happening right now. She was still locked in debate, deciding whether she was currently going insane or if the sights and memories she had were real. Yet she couldn’t deny the reality of it. She felt pain when she pinched herself, and to top that off.

But if that’s the case... what the hell are these memories!?

Next to her was her personal maid, Dahlia, whose current duty was to groom her hair. Later today she was going to a meeting for the festival she was helping organise. The one that had taken her months to get approval for. She remembered all of this, alongside the memories she had of Claire. She remembered the game that she loved playing, the one she had got to the very peak of. Her rival, whose constant bitterness brought her hours of entertainment. The game she was in right now.

A dead NPC, what a fitting role.

She had to face it, Lillian was inside Pandora’s Tower. All the evidence, or at least her memories, pointed to it. She didn’t know whether to be more freaked out by the fact that she was inside of her favourite game, or that she was an NPC in said game.

“I’m done, my lady.” Dahlia spoke, interrupting her thoughts. After being informed that her haired was done being groomed, Lillian stood up from her seat, her hand placed on the top of her forehead, swiping a stray strand of hair away.

“Thank you, Dahlia.” She spoke, turning around. Dahlia bowed and walked out of the room, leaving Lillian alone until she called for her.

She tried stretching her body. It still didn’t feel quite right, like she was controlling a puppet instead of her own body. Some training might help, but I don’t want to ask mother.

She walked away from the mirror and went over to a nearby window, peeking out into the Palace courtyard

Outside were the royal knights in the middle of their training.

Amongst them, Lillian saw a familiar face, her older brother, the 2nd prince, currently sparring with a fully armoured knight. Training for the tower, I see.

With them were also some odd figures, a pair of elves, one a drow, and one a high elf and a single wolf beastman.

The 3 of them stood out due to the clothes they were wearing. The black cloak, wrapped around the beastman’s body, and the futuristic-looking suits worn by the elves. The elves at least looked like they ripped straight out of a science-fiction novel, written by some Avant-Garde author.

The 3 of them couldn’t look any more different than the knights, yet to Lillian, and to the people of this world, it was a perfectly normal sight. I forgot about mother and father inviting players. Is it for the celebration next month?

Slapping her cheeks, Lillian walked over to her bed, pulling up its cover to reveal a single leather-bound notebook hidden under it. Retrieving it, she grabbed an arcane implement that acted just like a pen. Maybe they should have just called it a pen…

It was a shame that residents of a tower’s floor had limited access to their windows, else she wouldn’t have to do something as convoluted as hiding a notebook.

Jotting down a few notes, she returned the notebook under her bed, locking it with its front handle.

Fuah.” She yawned, stretching her arms slightly. “I better head downstairs.”

With that thought in mind, Lillian opened her door and walked down the crowded hallways of the royal palace, making her way to the dining hall.


“Greetings, Father, Mother, Brother.”

After finding a good time to jump in, Lillian greeted the 3, giving them a bow before heading towards the table.

“Good morning my daughter, how are you today?”

Her father was the first one who paused the conversation to greet Lillian, a wide smile on his face.

“I’m well, father.”

Responding to her father, Lillian took a seat next to her brother, who was using the pause in his conversation to stuff food in his mouth.

“Good morning, Lillian.” Chugging down water, food still in his mouth, her brother, George, hurriedly greeted Lillian.

“Good morning to you too, elder brother.”

Turning to her side, Lillian returned his greeting. The 3 resumed their conversation as Lillian sat in silence. She waited as she was served a plate of cured meats and a glass of water. Cutting into the meat with her knife, she placed it into her mouth. This continued for a while, with Lillian eating and drinking, while her family was engaged in conversation.

“Oh yes, Lillian.” Out of the blue, Lillian’s mother, Adelaide, called out to her.

“What is it, mother?” Pausing her meal, Lillian replied to her mother, an expression of curiosity on her face. It wasn’t often her parents called for her, not for a lack of care, just for their sheer lack of time. Though it is mother this time. I hope she doesn’t invite me to training…

“How are the preparations for the festival going?” Adelaide asked. Pleasantly surprised by her mother’s question, Lillian replied.

“The preparations are going well, mother; I will be meeting with some of the planners later today.”

Lillian didn’t need to think much to answer her mother. The festival was something she had been planning for months now. Even if she had 2 memories, it would be a sunny day in Hades if she forgot about it.

“Wonderful. I’m very excited to see how it turns out.”

Adelaide smiled in satisfaction, an expression of pride and delight on her face.

“Thank you, mother.” Lillian nodded to her mother, placing her attention back on her meal. Stall for time Lillian, stall for time. She watched her father finish his conversation with George, noticing his gaze shifting to her.

“My daughter, I have been meaning to ask for a while, but how old are you currently?” Therian asked.

An odd question, but she didn’t mind much and replied. “I turned 17 a few months ago, father.”

Lillian paused for a second before responding to her father. Unlike the festival, she never could remember how old she was, not to mention the age kerfuffle with her new memories.

“17…” Her father repeated her answer with a wry smile on his face. He slightly chuckled, Lillian tilting her head in concern.

“Is there something wrong, father?” She asked.

“No, don’t mind me, Lillian, just thinking about something.” Assuring her everything was fine, Therian turned to Adelaide and started talking to her. Lillian, no longer in the eyesight of her parent turned to her brother.

“Brother, I’ve been meaning to ask, but how is your training?” Lillian took the opportunity to make small talk with George, asking him about his training with the royal knights. Maybe it was the gamer in her speaking, but Lillian felt an intense urge to talk with every major person she encountered, just like one would talk to an NPC in a game.

On an additional note, she also wanted to satiate her curiosity. Tower residents in game usually joined the tower on behalf of their people, the Silverveil family following the same tradition. Being too young to participate, or so she assumed, her parents never gave her details on it.

“Oh, it’s going well I guess, why?” George replied, food still stuffed in his mouth.

“I was just curious brother; I saw you training outside earlier after all.” Lillian spoke.

“Is that so…” George nodded while muttering to himself.

“When will you be heading into the tower brother?” Lillian prodded.

“In a month or something or something like that. Just before the kingdom anniversary as well damnit. The old man told me it was a good time to leave so I’ve got no other choice.” George nonchalantly replied, shrugging his shoulders. Lillian couldn’t help but be entertained by him throwing shade at their father while answering her question. Interesting

“I wish you luck in your training brother.” Lillian spoke with a sincere tone.

“Thanks, lil’ sis.” George replied

Looking at the clock at the wall, Lillian finished up her food, standing up from her seat.

“Well then, father, mother, brother, I must be going now, so please pardon me.” She spoke while performing a slight bow, leaving the room soon afterwards.


“Dahlia, what’s my schedule for today?”

Stepping out into the corridor, Lillian reunited with Dahlia, who held a large stack of papers in her hand. While walking Lillian asked Dahlia about her schedule, which Dahlia began listing out referencing the information found on a piece of paper.

“You have a class with your private tutor in around an hour, after that you have 1 hour of free time before meeting with the event planner. You will then attend 2 tea parties back-to-back, one hosted by Duke Russels, and one hosted by Marquis Cromwell. Both these parties will be important for you to secure resources for the festival. Then you will meet with the temple head to get permission to borrow their clerics, before returning home to do paperwork.”

Unfazed by the long schedule, Lillian continued walking, briefly thanking Dahlia.

“Thank you, Dahlia.”

A large smirk emerged from Lillian’s face, her walking pace increasing.

Responsibilities, responsibilities, responsibilities.

Let’s get started, shall we?

3