Chapter 13: A Memory Regained
130 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That girl. Feyrith thought to himself. His mind wandered around; his attention begotten from the surrounding sights. He couldn’t get his earlier encounter with Lillian out of his mind. He felt like there was something wrong with him, something with his memories or thoughts. A piece of his mind stolen from him.

The 3rd princess had always been a figure he was fascinated by, her story and life, something he endlessly pursued when looking for treasure. A story of tragedy, one where she died at the hands of the villains of the story. A ripple in a chain of events, he and other users referred to as the day of reckoning.

The day the tower stopped moving, signalling the end of the world as players knew it.

He tapped his fingers on the hem of his shirt, his thoughts falling back to the same place it had been before. If I exist in a time before the day of reckoning…

Fey!” A voice perturbed his thoughts, piercing his ears as it grew louder and louder. “Fey!”

Feyrith fell out of his trance, looking up to see his mother grinning at him as they walked through the palace corridors. She had a smug look on her face, her eyes scanning Feyrith’s body.

“Finally, you’re listening to me.” She spoke. “Why couldn’t you hear me earlier? Was it just you being distracted?”

“Or perhaps your thoughts were taken up by a certain princess?”

She’s not wrong, but I’d rather stay silent than admit anything.

“I remember it like it was yesterday, when you were locked up in your study all day, refusing to come outside.” She spoke. “Now you’re busy thinking about a girl instead of listening to me.”

“That’s because I was in my room all of yesterday.” He replied with an icy tone. “Besides, where do you think I learned it from?”

The two of them bickered as they headed to their respective rooms, though even in conversation, Feyrith’s thoughts still managed to wander off. I should take a quick walk later.


As Feyrith and Sylvia left the royal chambers, Therian and Adelaide, having returned to the main hall, Lillian decided to head back to her room.

She requested that no one enter, wanting to be left alone for a little while. She laid in bed, her head facing the ceiling of her room, thoughts rushing through her mind. I can’t go to sleep.

Her eyes were wide open, red almost from how long she had been awake that day; her mind constantly ravaged by passing voices and memories. Her body was uneasy, as it rustled and tossed, every crevice of her body uncomfortable.

Even after a day of work, and battle, the latter especially taxing on her body, she couldn’t get her mind to shut off.

Her head turned over to her cabinet as Lillian got out of bed and walked toward it.

Inside were various unimportant knickknacks, as well as one item that stood out of place. The single dagger she kept from her earlier foray into the Ancient Alchemist’s laboratory.

Its dark and smooth metal handle drew her in, whispering into her ears to pick it up.

She wanted nothing more right now than to go outside and have a stroll, as she hoped her thoughts would flow into the wind like the fallen leaves of a long-deceased plant. Taking this with me can’t hurt, right?

She grabbed the dagger from her drawer, placing it on a small hook on her nightgown, one of the nifty perks of having a parent who was battle-obsessed. Then, her attention turned back to her bed and the notebook she kept under it.

It was late enough at night, there was very little chance that someone, other than her, would be up at this late hour. Even if there was someone walking about, a small part of her heart hoped that it was Feyrith, so she could confirm the hunch that had kept her awake.

She grabbed the notebook from her bed, placing it near her waist just like the dagger, and with that, she headed out of her room and into the palace hallways.

A faint breeze ran through the palace hallways as a gust of wind caressed Lillian’s cheeks. She walked around aimlessly, taking in the fresh air and the cool wind. It was quiet, not a single maid, butler, or noble out like she was.

As she continued walking, that silence was suddenly broken as she suddenly heard the faint sound of footsteps echoing the corridor she was about to turn.

She stopped walking and slowly placed her hand on the dagger she had hung on her dress. With quiet steps, she peeked her head over the corner of the hallway, and saw a familiar-looking face walking opposite her direction. Feyrith.

A glint shone in her amethyst eyes, like a predator that had found its prey. She closed her eyes and directed mana into her legs. It would have been amazing if doing so would have allowed her footsteps to turn silent, but in this case, speed was the only thing she could use.

Whoosh.

She used rush, and ran up behind Feyrith, making sure to grab on to his chest before placing the edge of her dagger toward his neck.

“Don’t move.” She said softly.

Feyrith’s arms began to move up, placed up in the air to indicate he wasn’t going to try to fight back. Strange. Why isn’t he using magic?

“Hey, Servant.” She called out.Is that you?”


A cold metal blade pressed against his neck, Feyrith couldn’t pin the exact moment his night went so wrong.

He had gone out to have a quick walk, still unable to process the day’s events. Fresh air to cool his overheating brain. The next thing he knew, he was here, his arms raised like he was being mugged. His eyes were closed, reading the intention

“Hey, Servant. Is that you?” He heard the voice ask. Immediately a smile rose onto his face, a pleasant surprise for sure.

That was what he forgot earlier, the realization he came to before his sudden lapse of memory.

“Damned bastard.” Feyrith spoke. He moved his neck away from the sharp edge of the blade and looked behind him. Stood there, in her hand, the dagger that was pressed against his neck was Lillian, in the flesh once more.

A look of joy flashed across Lillian’s eyes as she heard Feyrith’s response. She let him go, as Feyrith took in a deep breath.

‘’I never would have thought that I would say this, but it’s good to see you.” Lillian said with a wide grin.

“The feeling is mutual.” Feyrith replied, rubbing his neck in the area Lillian placed her knife. He let out a large sigh and stretched his arms.

“This has been one crazy day.” He muttered; exasperation clear in his voice.

“Tell me about it.” Lillian spoke. Feyrith stared out into the distance for a moment, as a thought emerged through the clutter of his mind.

“How long has it been since you regained your memories?” He asked. Lillian gave him a puzzled look before replying.

“It’s been 2 months.” She answered.

2 months! Feyrith was shocked by her answer. He had assumed Lillian got hers around the same time as him, but there was a 2-month gap between them.

“I only got them this morning.” He said, as an equally shocked look passed through Lillian’s eyes. “It happened when I woke up. You?”

“Right as I was about to go to sleep.” She replied.

Fascinating. Instead of being confused by the information Lillian gave him, Feyrith’s brain began to go into overdrive, numerous theories flooding his mind.

Out of all of them, the one that sounded the most plausible was that Lillian got here first because she was the first to enter the 100th floor. Why that event though?

“How very interesting.” He mumbled. He placed that thought out of the spotlight for a moment. There were much more pressing matters he needed to deal with.

So, his rival had become the 3rd princess, huh? So much for that pleasant conversation they had. Here he thought that he found a useful tool in the princess, but instead he got this.

“Hey.” Lillian suddenly spoke up, his thoughts interrupted.

“What?” He replied.

“Yeah, you know how, in the future, I’m going to die, right?” She spoke.

“It happens on the 52nd floor. I was the one who told you about it.” Feyrith said, twiddling his fingers, as if to say ‘get to the point’.

She did in fact die in the future. It was one of the more interesting pieces of lore he found during his treasure hunting. When he shared that on the forums, he remembered players immediately hounding it, theorists in all parts of the community concocting a new brew.

Heck, when he first told Heartstealingthief, his, or rather, her, mind was blown as well. Still, he didn’t think Lillian would still remember that factoid he told her so long ago.

“Never mind that. Anyway, I’ve been investigating this world and comparing it with my memories of the story.” Lillian continued her point. “It seems like we’re in the period before the main story of Pandora’s Tower.”

Information clicked in Feyrith’s head as Lillian spoke. He instantly realised what she was getting at. Even if they arrived at different times, it seemed like their thought lined up.

“A time before the Revelation happened, right?” He spoke.

“Don’t just flaunt your knowledge, number two.” Lillian spoke, a glint of mischief in her eyes.

As he mentioned before, when it came to people who annoyed him, there was no one who even came close to his rival.

“Yeah, yeah.” He spoke. “You were going to say that we’re in a time during Gerald’s journey through the tower, right?”

“Oh, so you understand number two.” She replied, ignoring his words. “So, number two, lore master, eternal loser, I remember you saying something about the tragedies that happened during this time. Other than mine of course.”

Feyrith groaned and rubbed his head. If he knew how to use magic- he still wouldn’t be able do anything. Royal palace, royalty, princess, all that stuff.

“The Cult of Demiurge.” He reluctantly answered,

“One of the reasons I couldn’t get my hands on Excalibur…” She angrily muttered. Feyrith was hit by a migraine when he realised that her death wasn’t the reason she cared about the cult.

Though, he couldn’t blame her for being upset, the cult of Demiurge also made it impossible for him to get Gáe Bolg. He was still a little upset about that.

A flash sparked through Lillian's eyes as she began moving, her head pointed up to the sky

“A tower of 100 stories.” She grandly spoke, pacing around Feyrith. “And I believe this is one of them.”

“I believe you haven’t forgotten the announcement my mother made earlier.” She stopped walking and spoke with a smile. “I think it’s an interesting idea.”

“Especially.” She paused. “With all the benefits it might bring us.”

“Number one and number two, climbing the tower, clearing its trials one stage at a time.” She spoke, her arms moving as she gestured. “All the while fighting against the forces of evil, the very world fighting against them.”

“Doesn’t that sound like a good story?” She stopped speaking and looked Feyrith dead in the eyes, awaiting his response.

Feyrith paused to think. She was correct. If he wanted to stay alive, comfortably at that, it would be in his best interest to avoid the cult of Demiurge.

“You’re right.” He muttered in reply. He stared at the arm she extended. To work together with someone, without having the relationship between a tool and its user. That thought terrified him, more that he could ever imagine.

He looked toward Lillian, his hands slightly shaky, then decided.

“Fine. Count me in.” He spoke as he took her hand.

“Consider it your mission from now on to assist me in completing my goals.” Lillian said with a smile, letting go of Feyrith’s hand.

“When did I agree to that?!” Feyrith retorted.

“When you shook my hand. Don’t worry about it too much, just think of it as a continuous quest.” Lillian coolly replied, waving her hands as if getting rid of Feyrith’s complaint.

“Alright then, with that taken care of, our first order of business.” Lillian said, as she smiled at Feyrith. Taking out her notebook from within her pocket, she flipped through the pages before showing it to Feyrith.

“Brewing a Draught of Ent.” She exclaimed; excitement clear in her eyes. Wait, brewing?

“Wait, so was it you that went to the ancient alchemist’s lab before me?!” Feyrith yelled.

“I’m pretty sure it was.” Lillian replied, a smug smile on her face as she raised her shoulders in a shrug.

“Even in another life, you take away the things I want…” Feyrith muttered in a dejected tone, his head pointed down.

“Stop being so gloomy, number 2. I still have all the ingredients, also I was in the middle of a point.” She said as she nudged at him. “Like I was saying, we need to brew a Draught of Ent so we increase both our mana capacities.”

“Have you done anything else other than the Tree of Ent?” Feyrith asked with a tone of slight annoyance.

“Don’t worry, only the Tree of Ent.” Lillian replied. “Though I do have an entire notebook filled with info about the hidden pieces I remember.”

“I’ll be the judge of that…” Feyrith said as he eyed the notebook.

“Anyway, our next goal right after that.” She spoke. “A blessing from a deity.”

“How do you plan to do that?” Feyrith asked.

“I’m so glad you asked.” She exclaimed brightly before explaining her plan to Feyrith. Listening to her, Feyrith could only shout in disbelief, astounded by the insanity of her idea.

“You’re crazy!” He shouted.

Not letting Feyrith refute her plans, Lillian backed up, getting a distance away from him.

“See you tomorrow number 2.” She said with a grin. With that she walked away into the corridor, he back leaving Feyrith’s sight.

It’s going to be a busy few months.

4