[Outdated] Episode 10 – Calls
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cosmic Champion

Chapter 2: Guardian of The Forest

Episode 10 – Calls

Announcement

Update [20th April 2024]

- Put the old chapter into Spoiler to prepare for the rework.


Spoiler

It’s been two days since the two monster girls transported D’Atch into Rubaegia’s den to heal him up.

[Your wounds have been completely healed.]

“This noise again?”

“Ladies, did you hear that?”

These past two days, D’Atch kept hearing the mysterious voice clearer and clearer.

The voice seemed to report situations and important things that happened around him.

“Stop it! This is not haha. I’m becoming angri.”

“No?...It’s called a joke, Rube! And it’s pronounced angry not angri!”

D’Atch had just woken up and heard that voice inside his head.

Rubaegia and Rosetta were playing with the little slimes.

When D’Atch asked the slime queen days ago why she brought him to her den, she claimed that it was also her fault he ended up like that as well as Mako as well, so she trusted him and allowed him to rest in the den until he’s healed up.

“I’ve asked them a few times now. Now it’s confirmed that they don’t hear what I’ve been hearing.”

“Sorry, I won’t ask it anymore.”

“Miss tree, have you ever encountered any other creatures like me? Or those humans?”

When Rosetta treated D’Atch to repent her actions, D’Atch had already asked various important questions. Last night, he just came up with that idea.

If he wished to go to the center, there might be more obstacles and dangers. Asking the natives is always the best thing to do.

Rosetta told him that she was a nymph, a spirit of a tree in the forest. A tree is her and she is the tree, the same being in different bodies. She harnesses everything about the trees and could use them freely as she sees fit.

She said she wasn’t sure whether she was born before Rubaegia or not, but long ago she wouldn’t be able to transmute into her current form.

“Humans have same body like D’Atch but they not this white.”

“Uhmm…yeah. I did encounter creatures like what you guys called human.”

“Some of them plucked my children for me, so I don’t really mind them that much. They helped spreading after all”

Rubaegia tried to help Rosetta visualized by changing her body to look alike Adria.

“And where are they? Do you know where they go?”

D’Atch got up from the bed. When they reached the den, Rosetta made him a bed from various materials like twigs as bed frame, fluffy fiber from her tree friends as the mattress and pillow, and finally a blanket from leaves woven together. All materials were either unused or fallen. She really loved and cared nature after all.

“I have no idea at all. I’ve never stepped outside of the forest area. Maybe they’ve already reached the next one?”

According to what Rosetta told him days ago, she had been to the border of this forest before. The next area from the forest was a desert.

When D’Atch first heard that he almost didn’t believe it, but when he thought about Rubaegia, it seemed anything could be possible here. Like a miracle.

He guessed that in order to reach the center, he must travel through many areas.

“Is that so?”

“Well, I’d better hurry then. It’s nice knowing you guys.”

D’Atch packed up his weapon and some foods for later then bid farewell again.

“Wait! Why so hurry?”

“Yeah! Are you sure your wounds are healed? There are many dangerous creatures out there. Those insects for sure….”

Both of the girls opposed. Their faces showed uneasiness and confusion.

“Mr.D’Atch……do you mind if I ask why would you want to go to the center?”

Rosetta asked. Her face showed somewhat determination to know and a bit confusion.

….

“I just….”

Silence fell for a few minutes then D’Atch opened his mouth before getting interrupted.

Awoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A thunderous howl erupted not too far from where they were. The sound echoed through every nook and cranny of the forest.

“?!”

The two girls turned to the way the sound originated in sudden. Their faces abruptly became full of concerns.

“Come here! Quick!”

Rubaegia quickly gathered all the little slimes to her side in panic then pushed them inside her body to conceal them as fast as possible.

Rosetta, on the other hand, quickly intertwining various branches, roots, vines, and leaves creating a dome enveloping the slime den as strong as possible.

The two girls instinctively put on their best guards. They knew the howl was malicious.

….

D’Atch just stood there inside the dome, not knowing what to do.

The wild lives were quick to respond. They must survive in the nature after all.

“D’Atch! Don’t go outside now!”

“Let’s stay here until it’s safe.”

The two girls spoke in a low voice. They didn’t know what kind of creature they were facing, so they must not reveal their location.

D’Atch did not say anything but slowly walked toward the girl as quiet as possible.

He thought that he could have just easily crossed the border between the areas while avoiding unnecessary fight, but now the real dangerous had begun.

Furthermore, what kind or species of wolf could let out that majestic howl? D’Atch felt that this planet kept getting more and more terrify in every minute.

Thump! Thump!

In a distance, a sound of impact could be heard one after another followed by a barking sounds and snarls.

rurururu….

The little slimes in Rubaegia’s body were shaking and petrified. The queen tried to soothe them with hugs even though her body also shook slightly as well.

Rosetta slowly approached her and tried to calm her down.

[Help….]

“What?”

The faintly noise echoed inside D’Atch’s mind again.

[Please help me.]

The noise rang out again. This time it was very clear.

It left him in confusion. The dangerous creatures were fighting out there, if he gets out it might lead to serious consequences.

But if someone in need were really out there, he would absolutely not going to let them die or at least trying to.

But where? Where was this person? What did they need from D’Atch? He was just an outsider. He was powerless there. He had nothing.

“Arghhh! Fuck! Hang in there!”

D’Atch threw all those thoughts and decided to help. He quickly stood up and walked toward what he guessed to be the way the voice came from.

“What are you doing?! Don’t go!”

“D’Atch Don’t! You will daed!”

The two girls saw him stood up and quickly tried to stop him.

“I heard someone was calling for help….I need to go..”

He said in an unsure voice but still insisted to go out.

“Again?! You crazi!”

“Mister D’Atch, you can’t just risk yourself for an unknown voice that you don’t even know if it really exists or not!”

The girls opposed him strongly. Rubaegia was very annoyed she stared at him with serious face while Rosetta tried to be reasonable.

“Don’t worry. I won’t risk you two or the kids…”

“Rosetta, please open this for me. When I got out you close it tightly. Don’t let anything get in!”

D’Atch placed his hand on the woods wall and begged Rosetta to open the way for him.

…..

“Then please take this.”

The two went silent for a while then Rosetta walked to him and handed a shield.

The shield was made with barks glued together with sticky mucus.

“This is our farewell gifts for you. We planned to give it to you when you’re healed up….but now….”

Rosetta felt a bit sad that their last moment was going to be like this. Although they briefly knew each other, she didn’t want someone to end their life like this.

“Thank you. It’s gonna protect my life.”

“….Thank you, Rubaegia. I won’t forget what you two have done for me.”

D’Atch thanked both of them even though Rubaegia seemed to be grumpy.

“Farewell, D’Atch…I wish you safety.”

Rosetta raised her hand then the intertwined woods disentangled forming a small hole just enough for D’Atch to pass in.

“Thank you.”

D’Atch bid his last farewell before briefly peeked at Rubaegia then walked out of the hole.

“Alright! Where are you? How could I help you?”

D’Atch spoke out while the gap behind him slowly intertwined themselves again.

After all this time, the voice was the only thing that had been talking to him. He’d never talked to it before. Asking it like this seemed to be a dumb idea yet it was worth to try.

[East.]

Surprisingly, the voice answered him as if it was sentient.

……..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The snarl got louder and louder as he got closer to the location.

It’s about 500 meters from the den. Along the way he noticed that the environment was wreaked to havoc.

Many trees had fallen and the claw marks were left everywhere.

As he travelled closer and closer to the location, the ground nearby was destroyed. large holes were dug here and there.

It seemed the wolf had an intense fighting.

[You have reached the destination.]

The voice finally echoed in D’Atch’s mind again.

“What?! Here?!!”

D’Atch suddenly felt a chill down to his spine. He’s starting to think that this was a trap.

[Please pick me up.]

…..

“What?!”

The noise resonated out not far from where he stood.

When D’Atch approached it, he saw few corpses inside a large hole. Not far from them was a device that looked similar to a watch.

“Human’s?! Did they lose to the wolf?”

“No….they died long ago…”

Upon looking carefully, those corpses were very similar to human except some of them were rotten.

Swish!

Thwack!

An unknown sword was swung at D’Atch from behind.

Fortunately, he was about to turn around so he blocked it just in time with his new shield.

[You have successfully blocked the attack with Proof of Friendships.]

[collapse]
0