Strange Mist
157 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike the Ayakan Trail where you'll see nothing but towering trees, the Vram Trail differs slightly. 

The paths were covered with green sticky gels as if vomit from an unknown creature. Additionally, the paths were quite narrow. Walking side by side would be impossible. Therefore, they could only walk with one in front and one in the back. 

Two people galloped through these paths. Zeus was always on high alert in case something unexpected happened. 

Although it might be futile as the monsters could surely kill him in one blow, he still kept himself high on guard. 

After they traverse through a river, Zeus immediately perceived the sudden decrease in the surroundings' visibility. 

Coming from an unknown place, the dense white mist began to spread around, limiting the vision of anyone who enters.

'This is strange.' Zeus murmured. 

For some reason, the mist was even denser than the mist near the summit of the mountain where he trained by hitting the obelisk Sera created. 

Fortunately, Zeus' perception was also trained so traversing these mists did not become a problem. 

Only, 

"Was this normal?" Zeus asked as he suddenly noticed that the mists seemed much heavier than before. It would be alright if it's just limiting his vision however, it's also seemingly limiting the oxygen around it, making it harder to inhale a large sum of it. 

"Yes. The further we walk the stronger it is." Duke Kayn answered. "Why? Can't hold it anymore? I can cover you with my aether now if you want."

Zeus shook his head. "Not for now. These mists are actually good for perception training. Maybe I could gain something."

"Alright." Duke Kayn nodded before leaving a warning. "But don't overdo it."

"Yeah."

The two continued to traverse the mountain trail, while also occasionally resting to eat. On the horizon, the sun was already setting and the moon began to show up. 

Chirps of birds and the howls of monsters echoed throughout the jungle as they passed by a small bridge. 

"Before we walk to the other side, here." Duke Kayn pulled out a string from his pocket and handed it to Zeus.

"What's this for?" 

"You'll know when we get there."

Not having any choice, Zeus received the string and tied it to his wrist while the end was being pulled by the Duke. 

Crossing the wooden bridge, Zeus heard the chilling winds and the sounds of waves coming from below his foot. If not for the mists blocking his eyesight, he really wanted to see what was below him. 

At that moment, 

"Stop."

Duke Kayn's voice reverberated in his ear. Zeus stopped in his tracks and listened to his next instructions. 

"After taking a step forward, make sure that you tied the string on your arms tightly."

Zeus nodded. It's already tightly gripping his skin. 

"Then let's go."

But, as soon as he stepped forward, he felt the world suddenly come to an abrupt stop. All sounds vanished as if time ceased to exist. 

'No… this is…' 

As expected, as soon as that happened, he felt the string moving as if telling him to move forward. At that moment, he finally realized what was going on. 

'My hearing is blocked.'

That's right, now, not only his vision being blocked but also his hearing. If not for Duke Kayn's aid, he's already a goner for sure. 

Now, he's only being guided by a string attached to his hand being pulled by the Duke. 

"Are you still there Duke Kayn?" Zeus called out. Of course, he wouldn't hear his response but the moving of the strings told him that he was that. 

"I can't hear now so I leave the rest to you."

Now that his hearing is gone, the difficulty has increased by at least a level. 

Due to it, Zeus began to rely on his sense of smell. Scents of damp moss, wet tree trunks, and sometimes flowers tickled his nose pleasantly but it did not mean that he knew their location. 

What he could only deduce is that they are near him as if it was just below his nose. 

'It's not bad.'

At that moment, his sense of smell vanished. 

'Another one!?' Zeus grumbled. 

Just when I was about to get used to the feeling, it suddenly disappeared. Now, he's left with his sense of touch—the only sense where he could gain the terrains information. 

This place was a paradise for someone who wanted to train their perception to the fullest. While he could, Zeus wanted to train himself; however, he's always interrupted by the sudden disappearance of his senses. 

Now, he can't even do a thing. He sniffed but he couldn't smell anything. Although he could still taste anything, it's useless in this kind of challenge. 

Judging by the patterns and the strange phenomenons, one of his senses would surely vanish once again. Hopefully, it would be his sense of taste. 

'This is an opportunity. My senses are surely being enhanced but I'll only know after I get out here.'

This time, the only thing he could rely on was his sense of touch. As long as he had the strings, he wouldn't be lost in direction. 

'Is Duke Kayn feeling this too or he could ignore this mist.' Zeus thought. 

Honestly, there's no way to know. But, based on the wind brushing up to his skin, the Duke is just walking straight ahead. It's like he could see through the path despite the blocking of the mist. 

'How long has it been?' 

Sometimes, Zeus stumbled upon rocks and would fall to his knees. The strings would pull him back and they are ready to go again. However, with his limits being tested, the growth of his perception rapidly skyrocketed. 

After an unknown time, he could perceive mysterious energy that lets him detect if something is blocking ahead. 

It's a growth he never expected to happen. However, all things must come to an end as suddenly his sense of taste and touch vanished altogether. 

'!!!' 

At that moment, he realized how crucial this part is. 

He can't feel anything. 

Did he stop walking? 

The feeling of the strings on his hand vanished. He didn't know if it snapped or not. 

Even the weight of the staff behind him disappeared and Zeus couldn't tell anything besides being able to think. 

But that's not important. 

'What's going on?' 

His receptors aren't responding. For the first time, Zeus panicked. Not being able to feel anything took away his ability to know if his feet are touching the ground or if he was still even alive. 

As of now, it's just nothingness. A black world devoid of anything but his mind. 

'I'm floating… no, I'm running? Come to think of it…' 

This feeling reminded him of that place. 

He called it the emptiness— the place he last remembered after he died. 

… 

Kayn shook his head and glanced at the boy on his shoulders. He knew he wouldn't last but he didn't expect him to be able to overcome all of it aside from the loss of his sense of touch. 

'It's a terrifying talent.'

The more he looked at Zeus, the more he felt guilty. After all, he knows something about this child.

Cain, one of the kingdom's strongest knights, told him to wait for the arrival of a child named Zeus. The specifics are not well explained but he could deduce that the identity of this child is not ordinary. 

'My help only extends this way.'

Adopting Zeus already gave his family a huge threat. However, he couldn't ignore the request of his friend. 

Of course, if all goes well, the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages. Zeus' talents alone were already worthy of his attention. 

'You're really a child of that man.'

Kayn looked at the path ahead with his deep eyes. 

It's only a hunch of course, but if it's true, it would be disastrous for this child if it's found out. 

'Hopefully, until you're strong enough, no one will know.'

After all, that man…

…is the enemy of the whole world. 

5