Chapter 11
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The weekend at her parents hadn’t been as bad as Lydia had initially thought. Of course, it had ended short because of Lucy being sick and to Lydia’s surprise, her family had understood completely. Before they had left, she had promised them that they would visit again to finish their discussion. The young mother hoped that by the time that came around, her parents would be more accustom to her marriage to the poltergeist.

After the upsetting weekend, the next couple of days seemed to pass by rather quickly. Lucy began to return to her old sunny self and the small family got back to their daily routine. The topic of what Juno had said to Betelgeuse had been brought up and the couple had decided that a netherworld midwife would be perfect for their unorthodox situation. It would be safer to go with someone who knew what they were doing. Plus, there were some things that neither really knew about when it came to this pregnancy. Basically, they were both wading in uncharted territory.

Shortly after their discussion, Betelgeuse had come to her and stated that a Netherworld Midwife named Irene would be at their house in the morning. He had told her that the deceased woman was an acquaintance of his and someone that he trusted to take good care of her and their unborn child.

Lydia couldn’t help but be intrigued by the thought of her husband having an acquaintance and someone he trusted to boot. She knew that Betelgeuse trusted very few, so if he said her and their unborn baby were in good hand then they were.

The morning of the appointment had the young mother sitting on the couch folding some laundry. Her husband and daughter sat on the floor playing with a few building blocks. A chiming started to resound throughout the house, causing the pregnant woman to jump and turn a nervous gaze to her husband. “What is that?”

The poltergeist gave her a reassuring smile and passed Lucy a block, as he spoke. “It’s okay, Sweets. It’s our alarm system for Netherfolk. I don’t want Junie or any other fucker thinkin’ that they can pop in whenever the hell they feel like it. This is our house and we make the rules not them.” Betelgeuse stood up and walked to the fire place, where he snapped his fingers, causing it to contort into a large doorway.

The new door swung open and out stepped a short and wafer thin middle-aged woman with beautiful silver hair place into a loose bun. She was also dressed in a dark blue garden print scrub top with matching scrub pants and grey tennis shoes. Around her petite neck was a pair of black and blue hand prints, which was clear sign that her death had been one of strangulation.

Lydia forced her eyes away from the bruising and hoped that the midwife had not noticed her staring. She didn’t want to come off as rude, nor did she want to insult her. Betelgeuse had once said that deaths are very private subject matter and were not talked about unless the dead in question spoke about it first.

Leaning down to pick up Lulu, she watched the dead woman smile at her husband then croaked out a greeting. Her tone was even rougher than either the dead man or the nosey case worker. “Hey Geuse.”

Betelgeuse nodded his head and made his way to his nervous wife. “Hey Irene.”  He gave Lydia an encouraging smile, as his arm went around her waist and pulled her snuggly to his side.

The little girl wiggled in her mother’s hold and reached out to grab her father’s shirt as she tried to tug herself into his arms. The poltergeist’s attention moved from his wife to his noisy child. He sent Lucy an amused grin then snatched her up and drew her tightly to his other side. Betelgeuse lightly kissed the crown of her head, while Lulu rested her head against his shoulder and eyed the new person in the room.

The dead midwife watched the interaction in silence, then turned her attention to the petite woman and sent her a gentle smile. “Hello my dear. You must be this lump’s wife?”

Betelgeuse snorted noisily before he shot back at the practitioner. “Who ya callin’ a lump, Iron maiden?”

Irene sent him a sharp glare, then sniffed at him and rolled her eyes. “Funny Geuse. Now don’t get your boxers in a bunch and let me do my job.”

The poltergeist cocked his head and raised a pale brow, while he cheekily shot back. “You haven’t been doing it so far.”

The midwife rolled her eyes once again and quipped at the heckling dead man. “You rudely interrupted.” Irene didn’t wait for him to reply as she averted her attention to the quiet woman in front of her. “Now Sweetie, what is your name?”

Lydia gazed back and forth between her husband and the midwife, then gave the dead woman a nervous smile. “Lydia and it’s nice to meet you.”

“That is such a pretty name you have, my dear. I’m Irene, and it’s nice to meet you as well.” Her warm gaze moved to the child in the poltergeist’s arms and cooed gently to the small youngster. “And who is this little one?”

Lucy shied away from the unknown person and curled into her father. Betelgeuse tightened his hold on her and gave her another a light kiss, while he flashed a grin and boasted proudly to the midwife. “This is my Bug.”

Irene locked her fingers behind her back and rocked on the balls of her feet as she directed her question at Lydia with an amused smile. “I’m assuming Bug is a nickname?”

Lydia let out a laugh and patted her husband’s chest while her nerves began to slowly melt away. She shook her head and informed the midwife that it was indeed a nickname. “Yes, it is. Her name is Lucinda, but we call her Lucy for short.”

The practitioner’s smile widened in delight and gushed in the direction of the little girl. “Awe, another pretty name. You are too cute.” Irene’s gaze turned back to Lydia and asked another question. “How old is she?”

Lydia fluffed Lulu’s hair lightly and answered the midwife. “She’s 8 months old.”

“She is so adorable.” Irene gushed at the pregnant mother, then move her focus to the dead man. “It seems that you will have two little ones in the near future.” She laughed enthusiastically and sent Betelgeuse an amused smirk. “Geuse, you are in for one wild ride.”

The poltergeist shrugged his shoulders and scoffed. “Nothin’ I can’t handle.” His gaze dropped down to Lucy, then back to Irene with a huge content grin. “It will be well worth it.”

“That it is. It’s something very special.” Irene’s happy smile dropped as her eyes dimmed slightly. Her hand went to the bruises on her neck and brushed them slightly as she spoke. “Take in every moment. You never know what can happen.” She shook her head and her bright smile returned just as quickly as it had disappeared. The midwife turned to the poltergeist and inquired about a few things. “Did you get all the stuff that I will need?”

Betelgeuse snapped his fingers and a huge bag appeared on the coffee table. On the other side of the room, a portable examination table materialized in the corner along with a few other items. “Yeah, I got the things ya wanted from that list of yours.”

“Good. This will make everything go a lot smoother.”  Said Irene as she went to the bag and opened it.  The midwife pulled out a bunch of papers then pointed in the direction of the couch. “Why don’t we sit on the sofa? I have some questions for you first.”

Lydia nodded quickly and detached herself from her husband. “Okay sure.” She made her way to the couch and sat down with a smile, while her hands folded onto her lap. Betelgeuse went to place Lucy in her activity jumper before making his way to his wife.

Irene clicked the pen and began to write things on the top sheet, then she turned her face to the waiting couple. “What is your full name?”

“It’s Lydia Joyce Geist.”

The midwife snorted and sent the poltergeist an amused smirk as she scribbled it down. “Geist? Clever Geuse.” Betelgeuse returned her smirk with one of his own and a wink, but didn’t say anything back to the dead woman.

The older woman let out a small laugh, as she continued with her inquiry. “Any other pregnancies besides your daughters?”

Lydia glanced at her child happily playing with in her activity chair than back to the practitioner with a shake of her head. “No. Lucy was my first pregnancy.”

Irene tapped the pen against her pale lips and continued to write as she asked the young woman another question. “Was there any complication with the pregnancy?”

Thank the fates that there had been no ramifications because of the trauma that Luke had caused. With Lucy it had been a typical and healthy pregnancy and had been right on track the whole time. “No, there were no complications. It was a relatively normal pregnancy.”

The midwife hummed to herself and continued to jot down Lydia’s answers, while asking her other questions. “Are you currently taking any medications?

“No. I’m not taking anything.” Lydia shook her head once again and reached out to grab her husband’s hand. Betelgeuse sent her a warm smile and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Irene flashed a small smile at the couple as the queries persisted. “Okay. Any family history of diseases or genetic conditions?”

The pregnant woman chewed on her bottom lips and thought about her family history. Nothing seemed to come to mind. She had asked her father when she had been pregnant with Lucy if there were any history on either side, but he had said that he knew of none. “No family history that I know of.”

“Good. Any history of smoking and/or alcohol consumption?”

Lydia shook her head once again, before she answered the midwife’s question. “I was never a smoker, and I used to drink occasionally before my first pregnancy, but I haven’t since then.”

The dead woman’s gaze trained on the poltergeist and aimed a question in his direction. “Geuse, you still smoke?”

He raised a brow and cocked his head, then answered the waiting practitioner. “Yeah, but I don’t smoke in the house, if that’s what you’re askin’. I know what secondhand smoke can do to a breather and I ain’t riskin’ my family, woman.” His hold on his wife’s hand tightened and sent her an ‘are we done yet’ look. Lydia gave her husband a small nod of her head to tell him that they were not finished, then a look of annoyance, before turning back to the dead woman.

The midwife herself looked pleased with Betelgeuse’s response and sent him a look of approval, seeming to miss the exchange between the couple. “Good.” Irene then turned from the poltergeist to his pregnant partner and reached out to lightly pat her knee. “My dear, I know that there’s quite a bit of questions, but we are almost done and can move to the physical soon.”

Apparently, the dead woman hadn’t missed their interaction after all. Lydia elbowed her husband in the ribs causing him to glare down at her. She wasn’t the least bit intimated as she rolled her eyes then moved to the midwife and tried to reassure her. “It’s fine. I’ve been through all of this before and know that these questions are important.”

Irene went to pat her knee some more then pulled away and began to flip through the pile of papers on her lap. She looked up when she found the thing she had been searching for and set the item on top of the stack, before returning to her inquiries. “Now when was the last day of your period?”

Lydia’s dark eyes widened, and she began to nibble on her bottom lip again as she tried to remember her last day. “Um… I think it was around July 10th.” She hoped that was the day. Her memory was a little fuzzy on that detail. Usually on the day of your last period, you are just happy that it’s finally over with for the month.

The midwife clicked her tongue and scanned what seemed like some type of chart. “Hmm…Let’s see…that would mean your due date will be about…” She scanned the chart then stared up at the couple with a wide grin. “April 17th. Awe, a spring baby, how lovely. I have to say it seems fitting, though. A new life for when life is awakening everywhere.”

Betelgeuse released his wife’s hand and wrapped it around her shoulders.  He pulled her to him and leaned in to plant a kiss on her temple. “It does seem fitting, doesn’t it Babe?” Her face turned up and offered him a warm smile, while placing her hand on her abdomen. “Yeah, it does.”

Irene cleared her throat to draw the couple’s attention back to her and moved quickly to the next question. “Sorry to interrupt, but have you thought about your birthing options?”

Lydia’s lips twisted as she thought about her options and their unusual situation. “Well, since our circumstances are different. I think it would be best for a home birth.  I would like to try a water birth if that is possible.”

Betelgeuse’s brow rose while he cut into the conversation. “Isn’t that where ya sit in a pool or something? Why would ya wanna do that babe?”

She went to pat the top of his hand affectionately and beamed over at him. “It helps with the pain, B.”

“Oh…” Yeah, her husband was probably not expecting that answer and clearly didn’t know what to say next. The loud and foulmouthed poltergeist was a loss for words. It reminded her of the day when she told him that she was pregnant. That thought made a giggle bubble forth, but she tried to hide it with a hand to the mouth and a small cough.

The midwife’s lips twitched in amusement, while she took out a small notepad to jot down a note. “I don’t see why you couldn’t. I will have to get a list together, so your husband can get the things we will need for that. We will also need to create an emergency plan should anything arise.”

As soon as the midwife’s words were spoken, Betelgeuse was no longer silent. “Woman, don’t worried about that. If shit goes wrong, I’ll have her at the hospital before you could blink. I’m your emergency plan, so don’t worry.”

Irene jotted something else down then looked up at the poltergeist. She tipped her head at him and agreed with his statement. “That seems best, since I can’t be seen by another person other than you folks.” She turned from the couple and went back to the paperwork. “Hmm…let’s see.” She flipped through the papers, then set them down on the coffee table. “Okay, we are now finally done with all of those questions.” Irene tilted her head in the direction of the examination table. “Why don’t we start the exam?”

Betelgeuse got up and moved to where little Lulu was playing to give the woman some space. He went to grab some of the blocks laying on the floor, then sat down next to the small child and passed her one. Lucy took the hunk happily and stuffed a corner in her mouth, while she tried to seize another block from her father’s hand.

Lydia watched her husband and child for a few minutes, before she switched her attention back to the midwife. She smiled at the practitioner as she stood up. “Sure.” Irene led Lydia to the examination table and the exam commenced.

The checkup was just like any other first examination for a pregnant woman with the practitioner getting her weight and height, a blood pressure, and of course the physical aspect along with some blood draws. To the young mother’s surprise, it was over quickly, and they were on the couch once again to finish up the appointment.

Irene beamed at Lydia and reached out to pat her hand softly as she voiced her thoughts. “Well Lydia, everything looks like it is going just the way it should be. I would like you to start some prenatal vitamins. You can get them at any pharmacy or store. Do you have any questions my dear?”

Any tension the pregnant woman may have had seemed to melt away with the conformation that everything was right on track and there didn’t seem to be any problems. Lydia’s cheeks puffed then released a relieved breath as her head bobbed to indicate that she did have a question of her own. “Yes. With my last pregnancy I wasn’t so tired, but with this one I’m just beat. Do you know why that is?”

The midwife rubbed her chin while she thought about it. “Hmm…I would guess that it is because of Geuse’s power. It must be overcompensating for, well, him not being alive. It seems to be putting your body into overdrive. Does that answer your question?”

The older woman’s explanation did make complete sense and made Lydia feel even better. A relieved smile formed on her lips and she shook her black hair everywhere. “Yes, thank you, it does.”

“Are there any other questions?”

Nope. None that Lydia could think of. That had been her only question, though she knew if some did come to mind she would just bring them up at the next appointment. “No, I don’t have any more.”

Her husband’s smoky voice cut into the conversation and captured the women’s attention from one another. His eyes drifted between them then landed on the midwife. “Oi Gricelda, I have one.”

Irene didn’t look pleased with the new nickname and sent the dead man a glare with a raised brow. “And that would be?”

Betelgeuse tilted his head in his wife’s direction and asked his question. “Is she and the baby safe if I juice with them then?”

Irene’s lips twisted together as she contemplated his words. “I would think that they would be perfectly safe. I cannot see why it would hurt them, since your juice is a huge contributor in this pregnancy.”

A pleased expression slid on his features and he sent his wife a smug grin. “See Babe I told ya that you and little bean would be safe. Ya worried for nothin’. I know what my juice can do, Sweets.”

Lydia forced herself not to roll her eyes at her boastful partner and shoved her fingers through her dark hair as she sighed softly. “B, it was better to be safe than sorry. We’ve already had this conversation.”

He snorted loudly while he passed another block to their child. “I know that woman, but like I told ya before, I know what my juice can do, and I’d never put either of you in danger.”

His wife frowned and opened her mouth to retort back, when the midwife cleared her throat and interrupted the couple. Both twisted in the direction of the practitioner and watched as she focused on the poltergeist. “Geuse, do you have any more questions?”

His green eyes flicked to his annoyed wife then to the midwife with a shake of his head. “Naw, that was the only one that I had.”

Irene reached out and began to place the paperwork on the coffee table in a manila folder. “Well my dear, if you don’t have any more questions, then it is time for me to go.” She slid the folder into the bag and zipped it closed then turned to Betelgeuse. Irene flicked her finger at the supplies as she spoke. “Geuse, what do you want me to do with the stuff?”

They all stood up and waited for Betelgeuse to answer. He waved flippantly at the items as he bent down to pick up his daughter. “Don’t worry about it. I’m working on something.”

The midwife lightly shrugged as she moved her attention to her new client. “Okay.” Irene smiled brightly at Lydia and held out her hand to say goodbye. “It was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to seeing you at future appointments.”

Lydia grabbed a hold of the dead woman’s hand and shook it gently as she returned the smile with one of her own. “It was nice to meet you as well and thank you for doing this.”

Irene’s other hand reached up and patted the young mother’s hand lightly. “Oh, it was no problem, Sweetheart. I’m just helping out an old friend.”

Another snort emanated from the poltergeist and he eyed the midwife with a raised brow. “Who said we were friends?”

Irene moved her hands away from Lydia’s and rested them on her hips. Her own brow rose as her lips twisted and she sent him an ‘who you are fooling’ look. “Deny it all you want, Geuse. I’m your friend and probably your only one at that.”

Lydia watched the two specters in amusement and bit her lip to try to stop herself from busting out in laughter. No matter what her husband may deny, it seemed that friendship was exactly what the two ghosts had.

The poltergeist scoffed noisily and rolled his eyes. “Think what ya want, woman.”

Irene sent Betelgeuse another grin, then continued with her goodbyes. “I will see you both at the next appointment. Geuse, you know how to get a hold of me and please do if anything should happen.”

He tipped his head in acknowledgment and he addressed her with a sly smirk. “You will be the first to know if it does. See ya Mercury.”

Irene gave him another pointed look, then rolled her eyes. She ignored the cheeky dead man and waved goodbye to his wife. “Bye Lydia.”

The young mother gestured back and watched as the midwife stepped through the make shift door and shut it behind her.

Betelgeuse quickly juiced it closed, before he turned to his wife and rubbed his stomach. “Babe, you think we can have lunch early? I’m starvin’.”

Lydia laughed at her husband’s antics and shook her dark mane at him. “Sure, come on. I’ll make you some of those chicken sandwiches that you like.” Her stomach rumbled loudly and caused the young mother to chuckle some more, then rest her hand on her own belly. “I guess I’m kind of hungry myself.”

The specter gave his hungry spouse a wink, as he adjusted his daughter on his hip and directed a smile at the little girl. “How about you Bug? You hungry?” He poked the small child in the belly and a giggle sprang from her along with a tiny bob of her head. The poltergeist barked out a laugh and made his way to the kitchen.

-----------

Later that night had the couple curled up on the couch watching an action movie that had taken far too long to decide on. Both had wanted to watch a different kind of movie; Betelgeuse had wanted a dark comedy, and Lydia had coveted something that was Action packed. When they couldn’t come to an agreement, the couple had decided to flip for it. Tails for her and head for him. Her husband had lost, though she couldn’t help but wonder if he had let her win. Lydia swore that it had landed on heads. Not that it mattered because they would most likely end up watching the one he wanted afterwards.

Her lids started to become heavy as she tried to concentrate on the characters on the screen. Lydia blinked her eyes several times to attempt to stay awake. Right now, she couldn’t let herself fall asleep. They rarely got any time alone and with the baby coming they would have even less. They had to take what they could get and at night seemed to be the only time that they were able to sit down and be with one another.

She felt the cool fingers of her husband’s stroke along the length of her arm and his smoky voice rose over the tv. “Babe, ya still awake?”

Lydia cocked her head to the side to peer up and whisper at him. “Yeah, I’m still up.”

Betelgeuse flashed a toothy smile down at her and snapped his fingers to produce something in his hand. “Good. I have somethin’ for ya.”

‘What…?’ Lydia silently thought as she pulled herself up on the couch and eyed the small package in her husband’s grip. “You got me something?”

Betelgeuse moved so that he was facing his tiny wife and shook his shaggy head. “Yeah, I did.”

Why would he do that? It wasn’t like there was a special occasion to celebrate. She was genuinely perplexed as to why he would want to give her something. Lydia couldn’t help but voice her bewilderment. “Why?”

The poltergeist rolled his green eyes then released a snort before he spoke. “Woman, do I need a reason to get my wife somethin’?”

No, it just wasn’t something that she was used to. Sadly, the guys that she had dated weren’t the gift giving type. Lydia ran a hand through her raven strands and sighed softly. “Of course not. I just didn’t expect anything that’ s all.”

“Yeah. Well, expect this shit from time to time.” He quickly pushed the package into her hand and waited for her to open it. “Go on and open it, Sweets.”

Lydia inspected the dark bundle as she rotated it slowly in her hand. It looked to be some type of jewelry case. She studied the box for the opening and carefully lifted the lid to reveal a gorgeous necklace. “Oh my…it’s beautiful, Betelgeuse.” She gently took it out and dangled it in front of her to get a better look. The black chain was long and thin, while the matching beetle was the size of a silver dollar and the jewel embedded in the center glowed brightly in the darkness. It truly was a stunning piece and distinctively her taste. Lydia was surprised that her husband knew her so well, especially with them only being together for 3 months. How did he know all this? Was she really that transparent? All the young woman knew was that this man just kept amazing her the longer that they were together.

Betelgeuse flashed another toothy grin and reached out to delicately take the necklace from her hold. “I thought you’d like it. Here Babes, let me help you put it on.”

Nodding, Lydia twisted so that her back was to him as she lifted her long hair to allow her husband easier access. His cool breath tickled the shell of her ear, while he leaned in and lifted the chain in front of her. He drew the necklace around her neck to clasp it closed, then inclined back to let her turn around to face him. Lydia gently touched the beetle as she softly thanked him. “Betelgeuse, Thank you. I love it.”

He sent her a wink this time, before kicking back on the couch with his feet moving to rest on the coffee table. “You’re welcome, Sweets.”

Her gaze refocused on the beetle pendant and her fingers curled around it. She carefully picked it up and moved the adornment from side to side. Lydia watched as the green hue shifted then eyed the poltergeist. “The color of the jewel glows like your eyes.” She internally cringed because she knew that sounded cheesy, but it was true. The shade really did match her husbands.

Betelgeuse swung his attention from her to the necklace then back as he locked his hands behind his head and sprouted a huge grin. “Rrrreeeeally…. They glow, Sweets?”

Lydia felt a blush creep up her neck and to her face but tried to cover it with a nervous laugh and a quick shake of her head. “Stop teasing me, B.”

He wiggled his brows and his chest shook from his own laughter. “I just can’t help myself. You’re too damn cute.” The poltergeist laughed some more, before he sobered up. “Babes, you wanna know why it looks like that?” Lydia nodded quickly as she waited for him to continue. Betelgeuse unlocked his fingers and leaned forward to brush a few locks off her forehead, while he continued to talk. “It’s like that, Baby, cuz it has some of my juice infused in it.”

Her dark eyes closed for a second as his fingertips grazed her skin, then opened them when he pulled away. She furrowed her brows as she thought about what he had just said. The pendant was imbued with his juice? Why would he do that? What was the reason to juice this piece? Lydia was certain that there was a good reason as to why. With this man there was always some method to whatever he did. He had a plan for a plan for another plan. She gazed back down to the necklace then to her husband and questioned him. “What…? Why is it infused with your power?”

The poltergeist popped his feet off the table and sat up. He grasped one of her hands between his own, before he answered her inquiry. “Babe, it’s to keep you and Bug safe. If you should ever need me, all ya have to do is say my name three times. Just like old times, though It will only work for you. I don’t need some asshat thinkin’ that they can control me. That shit will never happen again.”

A frown marred her lips as she looked at her husband in confusion. “But…we’re already safe with you…”

Betelgeuse lifted her hand and turned it over to kiss the palm, then pulled back to look at her. “I know ya are, Sweets, but it would make me feel better if ya had somethin’ for when I’m not around. Call it a security measure of sorts. It’s just like our warning system. Plus, I’m not sayin’ anything is gonna happen. It’s just in case of an emergency.”

Lydia didn’t say anything as she thought on his words. What he said made sense and if she were honest with herself, it made her feel better to know that her husband would be only three words from them. After the events that had happened with Luke, she had realized that shit could happen at any moment. It was better to be prepared than to have nothing at all. Her captured hand squeezed his affectionately and a warm smile flashed at him in return. “If it makes you feel better, then I will wear it always.”

He brought her hand up to his cool lips again, but this time to kiss her knuckles. “Good. Now let’s finish that movie of yours. I think we miss a helluva lot of it.” Betelgeuse sent her a wink as his hand released hers then moved to lie down on the couch. He lightly patted the spot in front of him and watched as she shifted from her current position to the one she had before. A content sigh escaped as her head went to rest on his arm, while his other hand lightly caressed her abdomen and a leg draped over his own.

Lydia reached above her head and blindly felt for the remote on the side table. Her hand found the small piece of plastic and snatched it up to rewind the video to the part where they had stopped watching. Once the scene was located, she pressed play and they settled comfortably in to finish it.

When the credits rolled, the pregnant woman spoke softly to her husband. “Betelgeuse, Can I ask you something?”

She felt him shrug his shoulders as he used the remote to change the movie to something else. “Sure Babe.”

“How did you meet Irene?” Lydia had been wondering this for some time, especially after their appointment. The midwife had stated that they were friends, even though her husband had denied it. You could see that they had some type of friendship. She turned to lay on her back so that she could stare up at him as he flicked through the movies on the tv.

Betelgeuse must have found what had wanted, because theme music blared out of the speakers and he tossed the remote on the side table. “I helped her out when she first woken up. “

Her brows furrowed together, and confusion colored her tone. “Woken up? What is that?”

He brushed some hair out of her face and answered her question. “That’s what we call it after we die, Babe. We wake up like we were just sleepin’.”

“Oh…” Lydia couldn’t stop her curiosity as she wondered about her husband’s own awakening. The words sprang forth before she could stop them. “So…When did you wake up?” She bit her bottom lip and regretted not curbing her inquisitiveness. He had told her countless times that deaths were private and shouldn’t be brought up unless the deceased chose to.

The poltergeist didn’t say anything for a couple of minutes as if he were debating with himself. His fingers ran through his light mop and he swallowed roughly, while his tone came out low and shaky. “October 29th….”

Lydia’s mouth fell open and couldn’t believe what he had just said. “You’re kidding, right?”

Betelgeuse shook his head and rubbed his face, before he blew out a deep breath and spoke.  “Naw, I don’t kid about that, Sweets. You don’t forget the day ya awaken.”

Maybe they really were meant to be with each other. What else could it be? It seemed too much of a coincidence. “Betelgeuse…that’s my birthday.”

His hand dropped from face and his own mouth dropped open. “Seriously, Babe?” She nodded her raven head and he moved to lean over her with a triumphant grin. “See I told ya Baby…We are meant to be.”

Lydia’s dark eyes danced with mischief and a large smile of her own grew, as her hand went up to caress his cheek. “Destiny or some shit like that?”

His eyes glowed brightly as he towered above her. “Fuck yeah, Babes.” Betelgeuse hooted loudly, then swooped in to kiss her soundly.

0