Chapter 15
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Happy Birthday Lucy!” Every shouted towards the bubbly toddler as her mother snapped shots here and there.

Lydia moved the camera away from her face and cooed gently. “Come on, baby. Blow.” Blowing out some air as she said that.

“You can do it, Bug. Blow like this.” encouraged the poltergeist while leaning in close to the toddler and expelling an unneeded breath.

Lucy attempted to extinguish the flame, but the gust of air came out more like a raspberry and spewing her germs all over her cake. Having tried a few more times, Betelgeuse ended up blowing it out along with her.

“Yay!” They all cheered and clapped, and the little girl copied them enthusiastically.

Betelgeuse grabbed the candle, and Lucy dug her chubby fingers into the sugary confection. She shoved the pieces sloppily into her eager mouth.

The grownups in the room laughed at the child’s antics, and all sat down to slice into another dessert that didn’t have Lucy’s DNA all over it.

Once the small group finished eating, presents were brought out and gradually given to the adorable toddler to rip into.

The expectant woman was on her feet much to her husband’s displeasure; she watched through the lens as her growing child opened one gift after one another.

The first round of presents was from her parents. They had given her a touch and feel puzzle, a large wooden activity center that looked far too expensive for a toddler, and some dresses with lots of frills and glitter.

Even Adam and Barbara had a few items procured via the internet and her folks. They got her a couple of books and a sweet looking babydoll.

As for herself, she had splurged on some eco-friendly finger paints that she was so going to regret buying, and a set of fountain bowls for bath time. Betelgeuse, on the other hand, had mentioned he had something in the works. He positively refused to tell her what it was and said to wait until the party.

Lydia sidestepped to her husband, leaning over his shoulder to whisper in his ear. “Didn’t you say that you had something for Lucy?”

His grin split even wider as his green eyes sparkled mischievously. “That I do.”

What was her husband up to? She cocked her brow and inquired about his mysterious response. “Then where is it?”

He let out an amused laugh and ran his knuckle against her jawline. “Babes, my surprise won’t fit in here.”

His present to Lulu couldn't fit into the room. Her brows furrowed in confusion and questioned her husband under her breath. “What do you mean it won't fit? What did you get her?” It wasn’t something outrageous, was it?

A cheeky wink was sent her way as he scooted his chair back and stood up. “Why don’t we all go and see?” He turned to the others and curled his fingers for them to follow as well.

The confusion continued while she and the other’s tracked him to the other side of the room. “Go where B?”

He stopped at the wall snapping his fingers, making a door appear. “Here.”

Eyeing the large wooden door, she inquired with interest. “Where does it lead?”

The poltergeist smiled largely and nudged his tiny wife with his elbow. “Why don’t we open the door, babe?”

Lydia snagged Lucy from her father and returned her husband’s grin with one of her own. “Okay.” She was game and wanted to see what he had done for their daughter.

Barbara and Adam stood off to the side looking forlorn clearly wanting to be included in the surprise. Betelgeuse addressed them and inclined his head in the direction of the door. “Hey Ward and June, you just gonna stand there or you comin’ with us?”

Adam pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and sent the poltergeist a pointed glare. “You know that we can’t leave the house.”

Betelgeuse ignored the glare and smiled knowingly. “Let’s just say that you have a temporary pass.”

“A temporary pass?” asked Adam in disbelief and eyed the man suspiciously.

The poltergeist’s amused gaze bounced from husband to wife while popping the p as he spoke. “Yep, so no Titan and no damn sandworms.” They landed on Barbara, and he continued to smile smugly before getting in a much-needed jab.  “Sorry, Babs. No reunion for you today.”

The curly-headed woman rolled her eyes then clutched her chest in mock devastation. “Awe and here I was looking forward to it too.”

A snort left the blonde as he quipped cheekily. “I’m sure you were.”

Turning from the couple to his wife and child, Betelgeuse opened the door and motioned with his hand. “Ladies first.”

Lydia cautiously crossed the threshold and a breath caught in her throat.  It was like stepping into a quaint Christmas village. There was snow everywhere; on the ground, the pine trees scattered about, and some was even lightly falling. It wasn’t unbearably cold though and her husband, the planner that he was, had made sure they were all dressed for the mild weather.

The small village itself consisted of buildings here and there with strands of lights tacked up around windows and roof lines. They were also strung up in the area trees and anything that didn’t move. Some of the lights stood still while others twinkled along with the holiday music that was softly playing.

In addition to the festive scenery, there were also people going about their merry way. Some of those folks were in the multiple shops, skating on the ice rink, sledding down the various hills or feeding the pets in the small petting zoo.

It was so picturesque and perfect. The poltergeist had truly outdone himself.  “Oh my god B…” She exhaled while turning to her husband. “It’s so beautiful!”

He snagged her waist, pulling the duo to his side and whispering in her ear, “Not as beautiful as you and Bug.”

“You sweet talker. You are amazing!” smiled the woman and leaned up to kiss him on the lips.

Peering down at his family, he flashed them a grin and boasted lightly. “Naw, just doin’ what any good husband and father would do.”

She stood on end once more to kiss him again then pulled away and patted his chest with the palm of her hand. “Well, you’re doing a great job.”

“Just comes naturally,” retorted the specter with a wink.

“Of course, it does.” Quipped Lydia before giggling at her boastful husband.

The couple was interrupted by an exclamation that resounded behind them. “Adam, look it’s a skating rink! I haven’t been Ice skating in years. Oh, how I’ve missed it!” cried Barbara as she eyed the large outdoor rink.

She stepped away from Adam and someone passing clipped her on the shoulder. The person paused and turned to the deceased woman apologizing, “Oops excuse me, Ma’am.”

Barbara murmured a response and the individual smiled happily then hurried away. She watched after the person before twisting back in shock. “That man saw me. How?” said the flabbergasted ghost and turned her focus to the poltergeist questioning him. “How is that possible?”

“All of this” Betelgeuse motioned with his hands spread wide. “is a product of my powers. So, everything in this little bubble will be able to see and communicate with ya.”

Everyone looked at each other nervously while Lydia gave her husband a knowing smile. This did not surprise, nor did it frighten her. They all acted like Betelgeuse was some monster who was going to go on a wild rampage any minute, and that was not the case at all. Yes, he was dangerous but only to those who do him and the ones he loves wrong. Plus hating the in-laws because they feel the same didn’t count enough for anything nefarious.

Wanting to get out of the uncomfortable situation and away from her doubting parents, Lydia spied a sign on a building stating Santa’s workshop and nudged her husband with an elbow. “B, why don’t we take Lucy to see Santa and his workshop?”

He glanced over at the large barn-like building then reverted to his wife to carefully take Lucy before kissing her lightly on the cheek. “Sure Babe.” The others appeared to be relieved by the suggestion.

Delia tapped her red nails against her father’s arm, smile brightening while informing her stepdaughter where they would be. “Lydia, if you need your father and me, we’ll be checking out the little shops around town.”

Typical for Delia to be going shopping and dragging her poor daddy around; that was nothing new. Lydia wondered what her mother would bring home from this excursion, and if her dad would be able to carry all the bags. “Okay.” She said with a bob of her dark head then turned her focus to the ghostly couple. “Barbara. Adam. Where will you be?”

Adam sent his wife a knowing smile before speaking up. “I think we’ll go to the ice rink.”

Lydia could hear her husband gag as she watched Barbara happily grab Adam’s arm and whispered something to him.

The gagging continued and caused the woman to send the dead man a look that clearly stated knock it off then returned to the group.  “We should pick a place to meet up later.”

“How about that tent over there?” voiced Barbara while pointing at a large decorated tent off in the distance.

Lydia eyed the structure then spied a wooden pole with signs that pointed in multiple directions. She noticed one said warming tent and assumed that was what Barbara had picked. The young mother smiled warmly and agreed, clapping her hands together. “Perfect. In a couple of hours, we’ll all meet up at the warming tent.”

Everyone nodded in agreement and quickly parted ways. She watched each couple hurrying to their own destinations before spinning back to her husband.

“Come on Sweets. Let’s go show Bug the jolly man and his workshop,” said the dead man as his large hand entwined with hers and started to pull them towards the building.

When the small family stepped inside the workshop, they paused in the entrance and looked about. There were tables on each side of the structure. Each table sat brightly dressed elves building toys while others carried the finished products to a big bag resting in the back of a huge sled. The jolly man was sitting in a simple working chair, talking to a small child on his lap.

Lifting her camera, Lydia turned to Betelgeuse motioning to the man dressed in red. “B, I’m going to snap some pictures. Why don’t you take Lulu to meet Santa?”

“Whatever ya say, Sweets. Just remember my left side is my good side.” He winked and cackled as he walked away.

“I’ll remember that.” Snorted the woman rolling her brown eyes to the ceiling.

“Please do.” He called out over his shoulder while stepping into the line to wait.

She didn’t say anything else as she began to stroll around the shop, lifting her camera from time to time taking various shots.

It wasn’t long before it was their time for Lucy to meet Santa and had the young mother moving back to start taking pictures of father and daughter. Through the viewfinder, she watched Betelgeuse carefully approach the fictitious figure in the large chair.

“Say Hi to Santa, Bug,” cooed the poltergeist and brought the small child closer to the round man.

Lucy reared back and hid her face into the crook of his neck, crying out for him. “Daadaa!”

Betelgeuse took a step away and gently rocked the upset child, rubbing her back lightly as he attempted to calm her. “Ssh baby girl. It’s okay. The big guy here won’t hurt ya.”

Lydia lowered the camera and came running up to them. Her hand carefully ran through the silky curls of the upset toddler as she spoke quietly to the specter. “Is she okay, B?”

Betelgeuse looked up and shook his head softly talking. “Yeah, I think the big guy just scared her that’s all.”

He leaned in and gently kissed the trembling toddler’s temple then whispered reassuringly into her small ear. “Daddy won’t let anyone hurt ya. Not even Santa.”

The little girl sat up sniffling, some stray tears falling as she stared wide-eyed at her father. Betelgeuse reached up and wiped at her wet cheeks gently encouraging the tiny tot. “Look what he has Bug. It’s a candy cane. That was nice of him, wasn’t it?” He took the cane then pointed at the jolly figure. Lucy eyed the unfamiliar man, and the candy, then took the sweet shaking her head cautiously.

Betelgeuse slowly approached Santa and continued to talk to his child.  “See he’s a nice guy. You wanna sit on Santa’s lap?” He leaned in once more and encouraged Lucy to go to Santa’s open arms. “It’s okay. Go on, Sweetheart.”

Lydia walked backwards, lifting the camera once more to snap shots of her daughter as she reluctantly went to the jolly stranger and sat quietly on his lap. She clicked the shutter rapidly until Betelgeuse retrieved their little girl and made his way to her.

She released the camera and let it rest against her chest as she followed her husband out of the workshop. “So B, where do you want to go next?” asked the woman looking up and down the bustling road.

“Hmm…” thought the dead man for a second before brightening and tugging her along. “I know. Come on, Babes.” He snatched her hand and tugged the pregnant woman along the cobbled street.

“Wait! Where are we going?” asked Lydia while scrutinizing the other buildings as they passed.

Betelgeuse just laughed with a wink and answered cryptically. “You’ll see.”

Soon snow-covered hills came into view, and the young mother could see people sliding down the various sized peaks. It was then that Lydia realized what her husband wanted to do. “Sledding?” She hadn’t been sledding since she was a small child. It had been years, and she wondered if it would be okay for Lucy. Is one too young to go sledding? Lydia wasn’t sure and turned to the poltergeist voicing her concern. “Is this even safe for Lulu? Or for me?”

A snort left the man, and he rocked his green gaze to the cast over sky before answering. “If it wasn’t safe I wouldn’t have suggested it in the first place. It isn’t that big. It’s a freakin’ bunny hill.” She still didn’t look convinced, and an exasperated sigh left him. “I talked to Iron Maiden, and she gave the green light, Babe.”

He spoke to Irene before this outing to make sure it would be safe. “You sure she said it was okay?” She inquired hesitantly. It wasn’t like she didn’t believe him, but her husband tended to go with his rules rather than ones established. Not that he would do anything to endanger the pregnancy even with all of his rebel without a cause bluster.

Betelgeuse stepped closer, pulling her gently to him and kissed her on the lips. “Yes, as long as the hill is small with no bumps and sharp dips. Hence the bunny hill.” He kissed her again and rested his forehead against hers. “Plus, I ain’t gonna let anything happen to you or our little ones. You know I’ll keep ya safe.”

Naturally, he would always keep them safe. She knew she was worrying for nothing, but this pregnancy just had her really on edge. Everything was going so well, and the nervous woman couldn’t help feeling like the bottom of the basket could give at any moment. It was silly and had to be because of the mess of hormones and stress. Lydia chased away the ridiculous line of thinking and stood up to kiss his cool lips conceding lightly. “Okay. Let’s go sledding.”

He smiled widely and helped her up the small hill leading them to a rack holding some sleds. They grabbed one and perched it on the edge. Betelgeuse placed a foot on a runner to keep it in place while he carefully assisted his wife onto the wooden surface. He passed Lucy to her then sat down behind them, taking the leads in his hand. “Hold tight to Bug. Here we go.” Dropping his foot, the poltergeist kicked the sled over the edge tightening his hold around his wife and child as they slid down the hill. Their child squealed as the cool breeze kissed her chubby cheeks and had her holding tightly to both of her parent’s sleeves. Lydia laughed and leaned into her husband’s hold, enjoying the ride down.

When they reached the bottom, Betelgeuse hopped from the sled grinning widely and wiggling his brows. “Ya wanna go again?”

“Yes!” She hooted happily and tried to stand up, so they could walk to the top once more. A hand landed on her shoulder and gently pushed her rump back to the wooden surface. Her forehead crinkled and turned her questioning gaze up at her husband.

His smile flashed brightly while running the back of his fingers against her cool cheek as he softly suggested.  “Why don’t you and Bug sit, and I’ll pull ya up?”

Lydia knew his still heart was in the right place but couldn’t help feeling the irritation bubble forth. It wasn’t as if she were going to injure herself by walking up the bunny hill. Yes, she could slip and fall, though she doubted that the poltergeist looking down at her would let that happen. Taking in a deep breath, the pregnant woman pushed away from the agitation and blew out a puff of warm air. “B, walking up this isn’t going to hurt me.”

If the man noticed her irritation, he didn’t comment on it as he dropped down into a crouch leaning in to lightly touch his lips to her.  He pulled back running his hand over her cheek again before answering, “I know but you’ve been so tired lately, and it’s taking a lot of your energy just brewing lil bean. I want ya to take it easy and rest. Let me do this Babe.”

When he puts it that way, she could not argue with him now and felt the annoyance melt away. “Fine.” She relented with a reassuring smile.

He appeared relieved by her response and kissed her once more before grabbing the leads and standing. “Now mush!” She cried out cracking an invisible whip and laughing. The specter shook his head chuckling deeply then began to pull them up the hill for another round of sledding.

After a while, Lydia stood at the bottom following the duo as they slide down the snowy mount. She snapped a few shots of them that went unnoticed by both father and daughter. Shivering from the cold, she let go of her camera and rubbed her hands together for warmth. Maybe it was time to retire to the meeting place. Plus, she was feeling a little parched, so a drink would be nice and would help warm her as well.

When the duo came to a stop a few feet away, Lydia approached the sled. “Hey B,” She thumbed the meeting area while talking. “how about we head to the tent, so Lucy and I can warm up and get something hot to drink?”

Jumping up from the sled, he reached out to feel her cheek then to Lucy’s before agreeing. “Yeah. Ya both are pretty chilled.” Betelgeuse juiced the sled away then wove an arm around her waist and began to move them in the direction of the tent.

Stepping inside the heated structure, the trio spotted the in-laws and hurried to the table that they had procured. Lydia smiled while examining the bags on the floor and pulling up a seat. She plopped down, and greeted her parents wittily, “Hi Delia, Dad. I see your shopping excursion was fruitful.”

Her father made a pained face as he warily eyed the bags. Her stepmother just laughed and started to dig in one of the bags. “Yes, it was.” She turned up from the bag with a frown. “Though will I even be able to bring all this home and if the village isn’t real, where is the money going?”

That was an excellent question and one that Lydia didn’t know. She pivoted her focus to her husband brows raising in question. He winked at her then shifted his gaze to his mother-in-law snorting loudly, “You’ll keep whatever ya bought, and the money ya spend goes to a domestic violence shelter in the area.”

Delia’s mouth dropped in shock while her eyes scanned the specter for a few seconds. Something passed in her light stare and flicked to Lydia before jumping back to the dead man softly speaking. “That’s very…decent of you.”

Yes, it was, and Lydia was touched that he would send any proceeds spent by her parents to a local shelter instead of lining a certain pocket. She watched her husband’s broad chest puff in pride as he grinned widely at Delia.

“Thanks, Red. I have my moments.” Boasted the poltergeist and slung an around his petite wife.

The jingle of bells resounded in the distance drawing Betelgeuse’s attention away from his in-laws and to the wide-open door. A horse-drawn sleigh stopped just outside, and the driver appeared to be waiting for the next fair. He regarded it for a few seconds then turned his focus to his woman whispering. “Sweets why don’t ya get some hot chocolate?”

Ooh, hot chocolate sounded good though she would kill for something citrusy instead. They most likely didn’t have anything. Well, when they got home, there was a jug of lemonade with her name on it and maybe some of the lemon tart if there was any left. She couldn’t remember if she finished it off or not. Damn pregnancy brain. “Okay. Do you want one as well?” asked the flustered mom as she stood up to leave.

Her husband shook his shaggy head and waved her off. “Nah I’m good.”

“Alright. I’ll be back then.” She leaned in to kiss his pearlescent cheek, then hurried in the direction of the food and drinks.

Betelgeuse juiced a high chair and placed the small child down before turning to the in-laws. “Red. Chuck. Would ya mind watching Bug while Lyds and I go for a ride?” He motioned to the open doorway while snapping his fingers and producing Lucy’s favorite snacks and sippy cup.

The couple spied the horse-drawn sled then returned their attention to the poltergeist. Delia sent the dead man an undecipherable look as her normally haughty tone changed to something much softer. “I think Lydia would love to do that.”

Opening his mouth to respond, he was interrupted by his wife’s pleased voice. “Mmm...this is good.” She sat down and lifted her cup to her parents. “Have you tried the hot chocolate?”

Her stepmother motion to their half-filled cups and shook her head. “No, your father and I both got the hot apple cider.”

Lydia peered at the cup morosely and cooed gently. “Ooh. I should have gotten that. Is it tarty?”

Delia reached out and lifted the disposable cup to lips drinking deeply. She pulled back and replied with a shake. “No, this one is rather sweet.”

The pregnant woman frowned at the news. “That sucks. Well, you two should try the hot chocolate before we leave.” She lifted her cup again, then sipped the chocolaty goodness.

Betelgeuse nudged his wife with a shoulder and pointed to the entrance. “Hey Babes, how about we go for a ride?” He wiggled his brows and flashed a cheeky grin.

She smiled back then glanced at their daughter munching in the highchair. “What about Lulu?” asked the younger mother while twisting back to her husband.

He stood up and motion to her parents before holding out his hand to help her stand. “Your folks said they would watch her until we come back.”

Slipping her hand into his and allowing him to carefully pull her up, Lydia look over at her folks reaffirming that it was indeed okay.  “Are you sure you two? We can take her with us?” It would be nice to spend a little time alone with her husband but if they had to bring Lulu with them, then they would. It would be a pleasant ride either way.

“N…n…no, i…i…it’s fine. G…g…g…go have fun. We will be r…r…right here when you return,” stuttered her father smiling shakily as her stepmother agreed with his statement patting his arm lightly.

Lydia opened her mouth to say something then snapped it shut. She heaved softly and hesitantly consented before leaning in to kiss Lucy on the cheek as Betelgeuse ruffled the small girl’s curly crown. Pulling her focus back to her parents, she produced a thankful smile then started to speak. “It shouldn’t take us that long. We will be back in a couple of minutes.”

Waving her off, her parents just shook their heads and chortled reassuringly. “Take your time and have fun.” The older couple said as the younger slowly walked away from the table and toward the open entrance.

When the pair reached an empty sleigh, Betelgeuse carefully helped his wife into the seat. “Watch your step Sweets. Here let me help.”

“Thanks, B,” she said when the poltergeist sat down on the cushion beside her.

He threw an arm over her shoulders and kissed her temple whispering. “Always Sweets.” He noticed her shiver and realized that it hadn’t been from his kiss but rather the lack of blankets. “Now we need something to keep us warm.” He snapped his fingers and produced a warm and fluffy blanket. “Aah, that will do just fine. You warm Lyds?”

The pregnant woman snuggled into the warm blanket and peered up at him with a pleased grin. “Yeah nice and toasty.”

“Good.” He pulled her close while waving at the driver to go.

They were quiet for some time watching the rolling scenery before Lydia broke the comfortable silence. “You didn’t have to do all this, you know.” It was all so beautiful and must have taken a lot of juice just to make this birthday gift. She didn’t want B to run himself ragged just to please them. They didn’t need fancy stuff to be happy. Him being with them was enough.

The dead man knew what his wife meant and hugged her tightly to his side kissing her temple once again. He pulled away, shrugging gently. “Yeah, but I wanted to, and bug seems to be enjoying herself. By the time we get home, she’ll be out like a light.”

"That she will.” Lydia agreed with a small chuckle. Her slight form shook as she rested her cheek against his clothed chest. “I love you, B,” murmured the expectant woman while studying the snowy landscape.

This time he kissed the crown of her head and whispered into her dark mane. “I love you too, Babes.”

The couple said nothing else as they both turned their attention to the winter wonderland in companionable silence.

It was hours later by the time the trio made it back home. Lucy wore out from the exciting outing and was down for the night while her husband was off doing some secret project for Christmas day. It was all very hush-hush, and Lydia had no clue what the dead man was doing. She had asked, but Betelgeuse had refused to spill, so she let him be for the time being.

As for herself, she was on the couch with her laptop, reviewing the photos taken. Ordinarily, she would have already had a few selected and been in her darkroom developing, but it wasn’t safe to mess around with the chemicals. So as of now, all pregnant mother could do was flick through the pictures and select the ones that were the best. Of course, she could edit on her laptop and print the photos or take them in to get printed. It wasn’t the same as doing the process in her darkroom, but it was the only options until the birth of the little one.

Fingers flicked over the touchpad and paused. Lydia admired a photo of her husband and child. It was of them feeding some reindeer. Lulu’s face frozen in surprise as the animal fed from her tiny hand while Betelgeuse’s head cocked back, laughing at their child’s astonishment.

A smile formed on her lips and the tips of her fingers tenderly skimmed the screen as a rush of immense love for them filled her being. God, she loved those two so much and could not believe how lucky she truly was. The baby kicked at her stomach like the young one was reminding her that he was there as well. Lydia reached over to rub the spot cooing softly. “I love you too little bean.” Even though he wasn’t there yet, she already loved him just as much as her husband and daughter. April couldn’t come fast enough.

He kicked some more, and Lydia wondered if he was trying to tell her something else. Ooh, maybe he wanted some of that tart. If there wasn’t any of that left because she couldn’t remember if she had finished it off this morning or not, there was a few lemon yogurts to quench her hunger.

Setting the laptop on the coffee table, she stood up rubbing her stomach several times before making her way to the kitchen.

0