Chapter Three
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything related to the Beetlejuice franchise or co. nor do I make any money from this. I only own my plot and Little Lucy. Other than that, I don't own squat and I only use the characters for my own twisted amusement.


Lydia woke with a start, pulling herself up in her bed and glancing at the clock. It was just past 6 in the morning, and usually, she would have been woken up by Lucy by now. She rubbed her sleep crusted eyes and yawned widely, causing her to wince in pain from her forgotten cut. She fingered the wound gingerly as she remembered how it happened. The events from last night came back to her, and she couldn’t help, but look around the room for her new husband.

When Lydia realized that he wasn't there, she began to wonder where the dead man could have gone. Did he do as she suspected and ditched them last night? She didn't understand the fierce pain at the thought of the obnoxious poltergeist leaving. Rubbing at her chest while quickly shoving away the unexplained feeling, the shaken female threw off the covers and climbed out of bed.

The young mother softly padded out of the door and made her way to her child's bedroom. Peering into the crib, Lydia felt panic clawing at her heart when she noticed that Lucy was not in her bed. 'Oh my god, where could she be?' Thought the frantic woman as her imagination came up with the worst-case scenarios.

Hurrying out of the room and down the hall to the living room, Lydia slowed when she heard what sounded like the television. She carefully padded into the room and paused in midstep when she spied an unfamiliar big black Lazboy in place of one of her chairs. Slowly she resumed her paces and diligently tiptoed to the furniture. Relief washed over her once she saw who it was in the overstuffed lounger. There stretched out and snoring away was Betelgeuse with her tiny daughter splayed out on his chest, her little snores echoing his larger ones.

The urge to capture the moment struck her, and she rushed to get her camera before either one of them woke up. She came back with the device in hand and started quietly snapping away with it. It felt good to be behind the camera again and to hear the soft clicking that followed her every move. Lydia couldn’t believe she had stopped something that she loved so much. She swore to herself that she would never let anyone take what she loves away again.

A sigh pushed between her lips while she moved silently around the chair, hitting all of the angles with her lens. Lydia hoped the pictures would come out, unlike the photos of the Maitlands, which had no feet and all sheet. It really would be hard to explain how her daughter was just floating in mid-air. Plus, it truly was a beautiful shot and would be a shame for it to end up going to waste.

Lydia pondered if it would be different since Betelgeuse himself wasn't like the rest. It was something that she had to keep reminding herself. He wasn't like a regular entity, no he was an extremely formidable poltergeist whose powers held no bounds. That was why he was feared and contained for that very reason. Though looking at him laying with a tiny baby sprawled over his chest, he appeared harmless and dare she say ordinary. The dead man just came across as any other father falling asleep with their infant. Wasn't that what he was to Lucy as of last night? He said it himself; her tiny daughter now carried some of his power becoming his biologically. He was her father now. Her stomach did somersaults at the notion, and she bit the inside of her cheek as she thought on that.

The young mother had been positive he would have bailed on them as soon as the I dos were said. It was blatantly clear with all the spouting years ago about his damn freedom, but the dead man had surprised her by staying. Why? Why did the specter stay when he had the chance to run? He was now a free man, and yet he stayed. This man was a walking contradiction, though maybe that’s what he wanted people to perceive. Maybe what she was witnessing was the real Betelgeuse. A smile stretched over her features at the idea of being one of the few to see the real poltergeist, and she couldn’t help but like it. The unexpected feeling caught her off balance, and she quickly brushed away the stray thought, not wanting to think more about the emotion. Turning away from the scene, Lydia carefully and quietly left the room to put her camera back before heading to the kitchen to start breakfast.

Several minutes had passed before a tiny giggled floated in from the hallway followed by a deep and gravelly laugh. Her head whipped to the entrance, and she strained to listen to the unexpected sounds. In all the 5 months, Lydia had never seen her daughter become so taken by someone so quickly. The poltergeist had plucked her up straight away, and Lucy hadn’t made a single complaint. What was so beguiling about this dead man? Frankly, it was like he was the flame, and they both were the moths. Had he always been this fascinating and charming? Or had she just been too much of a teenager at the time to recognize this side of him? Was there something more to it than just that?

The sounds of laughter and heavy footsteps interrupted her silent musing as they drifted closer to the kitchen. Her deep brown eyes ripped from the doorway and returned to the stove to finish the rest of the pancakes.

When his footfalls stopped, Lydia tipped her chin over a shoulder and studied the poltergeist leaning against the doorframe with their child clinging to his side. At the sight of the dead man, all thoughts fled as she took his tall physique in the fresh morning light. The woman noticed that he wasn’t wearing either of his suits, but well a fitted white tee shirt and a pair of black and white striped sleep pants. Lydia had to admit the man’s suits did not do any justice and made him look out of shape. What the newlywed was seeing now was anything but. ‘Wow, he sure looks good for a dead guy.’ mused Lydia silently as the man sent her a knowing grin and greeted her huskily, “Mornin’ Babes.”

She flashed him a nervous smile returning the greeting, before pointing the spatula at the high chair, “Morning. You can put LuLu in her chair,” then she flicked the utensil to the full coffee pot next to her. “There’s coffee if you’d like some.”

Another grin was sent her way while Betelgeuse pushed himself off the wooden frame and padded to the high chair placing the small child securely in the seat. He ruffled the little girls crown then made his way slowly to the coffee pot.

Lydia stiffened when he saddled up behind her and reached up to grab a mug from the hooks above. “Excuse me, Sweets.” His cool breath tickled the shell of her ear as he pulled himself away.

Fighting the flush of color that wanted to bloom, the flustered mom eyed the poltergeist and could have sworn she saw him grinning like a mad fool. “Where did you get the manners?” quipped Lydia keeping her gaze trained on the last pancake and not the man next to her.

Betelgeuse snored ungracefully and poured himself a steaming cup of coffee before answering. “I’ve always had them, Babes. I just use them when I feel they are deserved.”

Unsure of what to say Lydia bobbed her raven head, before returning to the stove to switch it off and plate the last pancake. She set the pan and spatula to the side then grabbed the two large platters of food and hurried to the table to place them in the center.

Twisting around to go back to grab Lucy's breakfast, her eyes lit up in surprise when Betelgeuse came up behind her with the small bowl. He scratched the back of his neck and lifted the bowl as he spoke. "I thought you might need this."

"Thanks," said Lydia with a shy smile then motioned towards the waiting food. “I didn't know if you'd be hungry or not, so I made a little bit of everything." She claimed a seat next to her daughter and continued. "So if you're famished, please dig in."

He found a seat at the end of the table and gave her another wolfish grin while rubbing his belly. “I’m always hungry, and I’ll eat anything you give me, sweetheart. I do mean anything…” He leered sleazily at her, then laughed as he dished himself some food.

Rocking her gaze to the tiled ceiling, Lydia tossed a balled-up napkin in his direction and thought dryly. ‘And here I was starting to think he was a gentleman.’ She released a small snort and turned to Lucy who was watching Betelgeuse with rampant interest. Clearing her throat, she called Lucy’s name, drawing her notice and began to feed the child the rice cereal.

Sometime later, Betelgeuse’s rough voice sprang out and asked a question that he must have been dying to ask from the very beginning. “So, Babes, How’d ya hook up with that piss ant from last night? You don’t look like the type to get mixed with that type of guy.”

Lydia’s head came up sharply at his enquiry, a frown marring her lips, while she took her time answering him. “I met Luke after I was out of college. I had some of my work in a gallery, and it became a big success. I was introduced to him by a friend at one of the gallery parties.” Her somber eyes turned to the dark liquid in her cup, and she swirled it around while she spoke. “I thought he was a nice guy, but I was wrong, so terribly wrong. I…never thought that I would be one of those women that get sucked in by some abusive twat. I thought that I would be able to recognize the signs and avoid a relationship like that.” A snore left her as she continued to stare at her cup. “By the time I realized how toxic our relationship was, it was too late. I was so isolated and scared that I wasn’t sure what to do.”

She glanced at Lucy for a few seconds then went back to her cup, fingering the rim. “When I found out that I was pregnant, I was so happy. I thought that Luke would feel the same; he didn’t though. He demanded that I have an abortion, but I told him I wouldn’t do that. I couldn’t do that, and we argued. When I wouldn’t back down on the subject, he kicked the shit out of me. I don’t remember anything after that. I don’t even remember driving to the hospital, but according to the nurses I did. I stumbled into the emergency battered and bloody collapsing right on the floor. I had my purse with me, and they were able to figure out who I was. My parents were still on my emergency contact list. I never thought about taking them off, and to be honest, it never crossed my mind. The hospital called them to let them know that I was there then they called the police, but I was too scared to tell them who did it to me.” 

Her eyes misted over, and it became challenging to speak. “You know I always thought Delia didn't care a lick for me, but that day I had never seen her so upset. She looked at my dad and told him to get her some coffee which he did reluctantly. As soon as he vacated the room, she turned to me with her hands on her hips and asked me outright if it was Luke. I was still too frightened and refused to tell her. My stepmother has never been extremely warm and motherly to me, but I’ll never forget what she uttered that night. She looked me in my eyes and said, Lydia Deetz, you tell your mama who did this, so she can fix it!"

Lydia lifted the coffee to her parched lips and drank deeply, before setting the drink on the table and started to speak once more. "I was so shaken from her words because Delia had never called herself my mother. Sure, she said stepmother many times, but it was never just mom. I hadn’t realized Delia had any type of maternal feelings for me. I honestly thought she saw me as my father's child and not hers. I was completely wrong."

The young woman ran a shaky hand through her hair while chuckling lightly as she recalled the memory, "All I could do was just nodded my head, and I told her the truth. After my confession, she convinced me to tell the police, so they could arrest Luke for what he had done. The police left me with the paper for the protection order to fill out. Since my writing hand had been broken during the attack, Delia helped me with it. We got a judge to sign the protection order, and when I was finally released, I went home with my parents. I stayed there until Lucy was born then bought the house we are in right now. I thought that with a new place and the convenient disappearance of Luke that I was safe. I thought that maybe I was rid of him."

Betelgeuse's light brows rose at her words, and Lydia knew where his thoughts were heading. Pieces of shit like Luke don't give up that easily. She should have known that and apart of her did. It had just been easier to pretend she was safe, and he was gone for good. "Don’t get me wrong I was still cautious at the time, you know looking over my shoulder and making sure the locks were kept locked. I began feeling like everything was going to be okay and fell back into that security. He must have been watching me that whole time and was just waiting for me to let down my guard. Last night was the first time I’d seen him since the attack.”

The silence stretched between them for some time before the poltergeist spoke, and it was not what Lydia expected, “I don’t remember much about my life before I died. Sure, I remember my death and that I was a right prick at times, but the rest is a fucking blur. The only other thing that I remember is an oath I swore to myself. I swore that I would never raise my fists in anger to any women or child. I can only reckon that I’d seen some shit in my mortal life that no one should see and a part of that stayed with me even in death.” His cold hand reached over the tabletop and touched hers, causing her to meet his green gaze. “What he did to ya babes, you don’t have to worry anymore. He’ll never get the chance to hurt ya again.” He snapped his fingers, and a bunch of papers appeared on the table in front of her.

Surprised by the sudden appearance, her wide gaze dropped to the documents and gingerly picked one up to read. The stunned woman couldn’t believe what she was reading. The papers within her grasp were termination of parental rights, and they were all signed by Luke. Her mouth dropped open, and she turned to her husband raising the papers with an unsteady hand. “Is this really his signature?” asked Lydia in disbelief. How did Betelgeuse coax Luke into signing it? Was it even his signature or did her husband magically forge it?

A sneer ripped out the poltergeist, and a pure look of pure disgust hit his features “Damn straight it is. It’s the least the little bitch could do for ya.”

It was the least that he could do. Yes, it was, and she was so thankful for getting the poltergeist involved. Words caught in her throat while a sheen of liquid glazed her brown eyes, Lydia lowered her gaze to the table blinking away the unshed tears. Setting down the termination papers, she then reached out and picked up the other document. This one was their marriage certificate for the mortal world. “Why would we need this?” probed Lydia with a frown.

Betelgeuse drank his coffee and kicked back in the chair, balancing on the rear legs. “We live in the mortal world, sweets, and I assumed that it would make shit easier for you and me.”

That made sense and would make it easier should anyone question their marriage. She fingered the paper some more than finished reading the rest. Lydia noticed that the line where Betelgeuse name should have been it was replaced by another. Printed on the page was the unfamiliar name of Benjamin Geist. Her brow rose as she questioned her husband, “Why does it say Benjamin and not Betelgeuse? Was that your name when you were alive?” She didn’t need to ask where the Geist part came from that was self-explanatory.

He just shrugged his broad shoulders and continued balancing on the back of the legs. “Hell, if I know. It was the first name that popped in my head. For all that I know it could have been, and it’s easier to have an alias to get around in the mortal world. Plus, the fewer people who know my real name the better.”

The young mother set down their marriage certificate on top of the termination papers and grabbed the last bundle of documents. Her hands shook as she read what they were and turned her surprised eyes to his relaxed form. “Why?” she enquired softly then flicked her gaze to the small child in the high chair before returning to the bottle green regarding her quietly.

The poltergeist’s light brows shot up, and he gave her a look of do you really have to ask but answered her anyway. “She is my kid now, and it would make sense that I would want it to be legal in the mortal world.”

Lydia didn’t know how she felt about all this. It was not what she had expected. Hell, he was not what she expected. Just who was this man she now called her husband? She shook her head and laid the adoption papers with the rest.

“Ya done Babes?” He asked her while cocking his blonde head to the side and pointing at the stack of papers.

She gave him a quick bob of her head, and Betelgeuse snapped his fingers, making the papers disappear. He then turned to look at the watch on his inner wrist and stood up, juicing himself into his striped suit. He made his way to her side and bent down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek before straightening. “Well Babes, work calls. I’ll be back later tonight.” He made his way to Lucy, kissing her on the head and ruffling her already messy hair. “I’ll be back kid; be good for your mama.” Lucy just babbled wildly and giggle up at her new father. He let out a laugh of his own before winking out of sight.

Lydia’s eyes lingered on the spot where he had just been and reached up to graze the place where his cool lips had landed. The skin tingled under her fingertips, and she couldn’t help the twitch of her lips. A bubble of laughter spilled out seconds later as she continued to finger the spot. That man was always catching her off guard and throwing her for a freaking loop. He definitely was not what she expected, and the more she learned about this man, the more she questioned what she really knew about him. Just who did she marry and what the hell did she get herself into?

-I hope you are all liking my take on Betelgeuse. I always thought there was more to the dead man than all of his crude and obnoxious behavior. I really want to show that Betelgeuse is capable of caring for someone other than himself. Sure, he is a right selfish prick, but once he cares for something, he does it with every fiber of his being.

As for my story, I'm trying to keep the focus on the family dynamic along with the ups and downs that come with it. There will be drama but nothing crazy or significant. I will also have sexual content since it is a healthy and realistic occurrence in a relationship, and it just doesn't feel right to leave it out. Also, if you all haven't noticed, there will be a good amount of swearing throughout this fic. I cannot be held responsible for what my twisted and depraved mind comes up with. Expect some dirty things to transpire when the mood calls for it. XD

If you enjoyed the chapter, please feel free to leave me a review. I like to know how my readers are enjoying my work. Plus, I'm human, and I like the ego stroke.

0