188. True Nobility Part 3
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ajax backs away because of what the shape is.

The light transforms into a long, thin blade, almost as if it were a double-edged, uncurved katana. Orin gazes at his beautiful blade. "Trastivon", as the spell is called, is a magic that can turn the very air into a weapon without requiring a change in temperature or ambient air pressure. 

Ajax comprehends the meaning of the spell phrase due to his understanding of all Omicron languages and realizes the danger of the item. The mana provided by Orin interacted with the loose air molecules as a base in order to construct a hyper robust crystalline lattice structure. Ajax picks up a lot about his enemy’s weapon just from the spell phrase that was used. 

The mana blade maintains room temperature and is harder than diamond with far more shatter resistance. Orin has always wanted to use this weapon to both slice and stab, but it is also a good weapon to parry or block with. Normally a sword this thin would snap in half if bent, even if it were made of actual diamond.

Due to how Orin constructed the blade, its edges are extremely sharp. However, if mana isn't supplied to the blade, it would naturally dissipate within fifteen seconds or less. Orin stares at the blade with awe and satisfaction. He has experimented with this magic before but the mana required was not something that it would be feasible for him to provide in real combat.

Until I drank the vial.

"You see the sharpness of this blade, brat? Be jubilant in the fact that you are able to see magic of this caliber. It’s magic normally reserved for nobles, something that, normally, only they can do. Unlike your little contrivances. You may have strength, but you’re nothing but a novice compared to true heroic nobility. As I am now, I have reached closer to nobility than you could ever hope to.”

The burning man’s expression is so serene that it makes a disturbing contrast with the words he spoke venomously. His words seem to be specifically to provoke a human from this world, perhaps one who grasps at any semblance of nobility. They don’t really work on Ajax.

He really wants me to rush in. That sword is his trump card.

Ajax doesn’t understand why this man has such a reverence with nobles, though it might simply have to do with this world’s human supremacy in general. If commoners are better than demihumans, then nobles, as the highest class of human, must be worshiped like gods. 

Without an inherent worship of authority and purity, this ideology would probably be more strongly opposed by the nobility. Ajax can only scoff at his extreme adoration of other humans.

“You’re just a man. Nothing more than a simple man who dedicated his life to a worthless cause. So am I, just a human. So is any other person on the face of this fucking planet, including the fucking high and mighty nobility. You should be grateful you’re even sapient, you fucking pitiful child.”

Ajax is surprised he spoke such words to another human. Orin’s pleasant demeanor sinks. He smiles once again, one that doesn’t reach his eyes.

“...I will be using this to cut apart your bones as if you were made of paper."

He extends the bright sword to his side and prepares his stance. Ajax can feel his heart palpitate, just a bit regretful of having spoken to his opponent as he had just now. 

He wonders if he has finally reached the end of the line. He cannot imagine dodging that sword forever. Within less than a minute, he'll slip up and let himself be cut to ribbons. He can feel it. Not only does he have to defeat this man but he also has to fight against the last group of terrorists. He feels the walls closing in on him.

He wonders how he stumbled into this waking nightmare. He's not the person for this job. Yet, he has found himself here. He cannot run now. He cannot, not after all that he had done, who all he had to kill, in order to get here. This man is the most difficult opponent he has ever faced in his entire short life.

The blade… it looks like it's made of light…

A divine weapon is what Ajax believes it is.

Orin steps towards Ajax who is standing there without any weapons or armor. All of a sudden his pace increases sharply as he thrusts the weapon towards him in a stabbing movement. Ajax narrowly dodges the blade by dodging to the right side and turning. He tries to reach out to Orin with his right hand but Orin simply backs away, unperturbed.

The white fire engulfing his body makes him look like a divine warrior. As if he was a member of the chariots of the Lord of Hosts. Ajax wonders how his mother is doing. He had lost her cross when he left his home.

Focus!

The blade is bluish green so it maintains itself distinctly from the white being. Ajax maintains his mind's reflexive speed in order to continuously dodge the attacks that Orin is sending his way. He continues to throw bright, white flames into Ajax’s face, but it leaves even less of a mark thanks to Ajax putting his enhanced skills to greater use.

He takes more advantage of his hearing, his ability to sense changes in air pressure, as well as his sense of smell in order to predict Orin’s movements. His spatial awareness is actively trained while he fights and he starts to acclimate.

In his mind’s eye, he maintains a picture of Orin’s body relative to his own, including the position of his head, arms, legs, torso, as they both move about in this environment. The picture starts to get steadily clearer as time ticks by and starts being able to maintain itself accurately even during moments when he is temporarily blinded.

Ajax remains concentrated on the movements of his enemy but he feels that he is only buying time for the inevitable reprisal.

0