67. Authority is Cruel Part 9
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This might feel like a filler chapter, but don't fret! I wanted to paint the world of the Federation as well as its history a little more for you all! Hope you enjoy!

There once lived a woman. She rose to glory in a time of strife. She was the youngest daughter of a viscount, one who had six children.

From a young age, she showed interest in physical strength and combat. But, women were discouraged from receiving training in martial, weapon or military arts throughout the federation's history. Her father was one of those dissenting voices. As a result, her strength and abilities were largely self-taught.

Once she displayed her outrageous combat prowess, she was placed as deputy commander of the viscount's forces as her elder brother's subordinate.

Their viscounty, the viscount family specifically, had control and consolidated ownership over large populations of enslaved demihumans, the majority of which were draconids. The church started imposing larger taxes on various noble lands, including theirs, in an effort to curb inflationary effects distressing their economy.

There was also a rise in corruption in the form of backroom dealing between the merchant classes and the nobility across various noble dominions.

This resulted in worsening conditions for enslaved demihumans who were always the ones to see their standard of living lower. When taxes were raised, the viscount and his estate started underfeeding the enslaved and cut all medical care to them.

He performed similar measures upon the human commoners’ public services populations, though less burdensome. He would not pay a penny of his family’s wealth to meet their territory’s tax burden.

His son, the commander of his forces, also embezzled funds from various public services that benefited human commoners. But, he was caught. When news spread about his rampant corruption (resulting in an outcry among human commoners), the church decided to use him as a scapegoat.

As a result, a warrant was placed for his arrest. The viscount was loyal to his son and brought troops to the borders of his territory to prevent any Holy knight battalions from entering and seizing him. His daughter accompanied their army as commander in her elder brother's stead while he remained in the capital of their territory. This resulted in a stalemate at the border for a few weeks.

This moment was when the enslaved demihumans of the viscounty decided to stage a rebellion, having found their perfect opportunity. They were fed up with their lowering standard of living and mistreatment on an industrial scale at the hands of the viscount.

As a result, the capital of the viscounty fell within three days when the viscounty's enslaved draconids started to kill their masters.

The viscount lost three of his children that day including his son, the commander. The demihumans crushed all opposition from the human commoners within the city. There were many humans who were punished for violent and sexual crimes against the enslaved, and many human sympathizers who joined their struggle for liberation.

However, there was the problem of the viscount returning with his forces to retake the city accompanied now by the holy knight forces. It was a shaky alliance because the viscount blamed both the slave rebellion and the church for the death of his children.

So the leaders of the draconid slave rebellion decided to preemptively escape the capital and invade other cities in the viscount's territory. This guerilla campaign resulted in a consolidation of their forces as the slave populations around the viscounty came under an organized command structure.

They minimized human casualties among the commoners to only those that had committed atrocities against the enslaved. This resulted in many, many human sympathizers who were already suffering at the hands of the corrupt viscount's government.

There was then an exodus of the enslaved and their human sympathizers towards another territory, and even more demihumans were freed from their bondage. At the height of this era’s slave rebellion, one percent of all demihumans across the federation were liberated, most of whom joined the revolutionary army.

The only thing that stopped them was the woman, the commander of the viscount’s forces.

She led her father's army against the enslaved army. She won battle after battle against the fleeing demihumans who, prior to her personal appearance on the battlefield, were continuing to grow their forces.

Admiring her martial prowess, the pope of the Federation gave her command of multiple holy knight battalions to use against the slave rebellion. If it continued to spread, their country would face a difficult future. Perhaps a permanent collapse. 

The commander of the revolutionary army became paranoid about her appearance. He started to view her rise as a prophecy being fulfilled against their people. He decided to lay a trap for her where she would be found defenseless on a wide plain and attacked on all sides by an elite battalion of 5000 draconid warriors.

She killed them all and cut down the commander and his higher ups as well. It was an outstanding victory, one that she achieved completely by herself. The commander was not wrong to confront her. He had not underestimated her any more than she had underestimated herself. The world was simply on her side that day.

With the commander and the top echelon of the slave rebellion defeated, the command structure was irreparably destroyed. But, rather than sparing the rest of the rebellion, she and her army exterminated every man, woman and child, human and demihuman alike.

Furthermore, she advocated for a new death penalty to be instituted for anyone sympathetic to the cause of demihuman liberation and the religions of other gods, such as Panaphon and Savitarius.

For these actions that showed her devotion to the church, the pope under guidance from Osva himself granted her the title of Divinity for the 33rd generation of heroic nobility, one of only three noblewomen to ever receive the honor at the time.

This is the woman who was being built at today's statue march. Her original appearance was not lost to time, recorded and shared often by Osva himself. She is a woman with slightly curly blonde hair extending to her neck.

Her head is covered in a helmet that extends backwards, resembling a Roman Galea helmet. Her hair under her helmet is supposed to be red, but this statue cannot depict its blood-like color.

Her dress extends to her feet and is covered by a red cape over her back, shoulders and upper arms. She holds a thin, long spear with a tip about the shape and size of an arrowhead. Ajax and Shaula watch as the 33rd divinity is built before their very eyes out of diamond.

0