Chapter 9: The Steksis
252 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nay felt the hand grab her by her tunic and pull her forward. She drove the dagger forward, but The Steksis caught her arm, blocking her. Something latched onto her wrist and twisted, forcing her to drop the dagger. Then she was airborne and hanging upside down. There was a rush of momentum and she sensed she was in the chamber.

Those yellow eyes appeared in front of her again, glowing bright enough to show Nay that one of the many millipede-like appendages was locked around one of her ankles, holding her upside down from the ceiling. Suddenly, the eyes narrowed and darted at the ground.

Nom was there, standing straight up on his hind stalk, his Cyclopean eye focused on The Steksis. The tentacle trembled, indicating he was in the throes of casting Mind Shiv.

“And what do we have here?” The Steksis said, studying the tentacle.

Nom focused harder and The Steksis chuckled.

“I can feel you, but your little trick isn’t strong enough to work on me. But come closer so I can get a good look at you.”

Its torso moved towards the floor but Nom gave up on the Mind Shiv and fled towards the wall. He moved so fast that when Nay blinked the tentacle had already disappeared into the gap between bones.

The Steksis turned back to look at Nay. “What strange company you keep!”

It closed its eyes and then the torso and top part of the millipede dove into the wall. Nay felt the mountain of bones shuddering around her. As the Steksis moved through the bones its serpentine body created a tectonic shift in the skeletons. The bones rattled and rumbled around them. Pieces of bones fell from the ceiling and motes of dust and decay filled the air.

Then the wall across from Nay exploded and the head, arms and torso of The Steksis appeared in the chamber. It was clutching the squirming Nom in its hands. “Got you! You’re quite the slippery thing aren’t you?”

The Steksis held the tentacle out before it, taking in Nom with its eyes. It held Nom close to its face and sniffed at his body. “You smell of the water depths. It’s been so long since I’ve fed on something that dwells on the riverbeds or in the depths of the brine water. It appears I haven’t been forgotten down here after all. They’ve sent me morsels to help me get by until they return.”

It held Nom closer to its face and a tongue slipped out of its mouth and licked the tentacle.

“Ew! Stop it! Gross! Also, that tickles!” Nom cried.

The Steksis opened its mouth, its glowing teeth lighting up the darkness as it was about to bite into the middle of the tentacle like he was a piece of fried cod.

Nay heard herself shouting, “No! Nom!”

She reached for something in her pockets to throw at the Steksis, but the piece of dried meat she grabbed fell out of her hand and hit the floor, catching the attention of the creature. It pulled away from Nom and looked at the piece of jerky on the floor.

Curious, it grabbed it and sniffed. Then it took a bite and chewed, its face lighting up in excitement. “Even the food has food!”

It swallowed, its glowing yellow eyes rolled into the back of its head in pleasure. It took another bite of the dried meat, its entire body shuddering in satisfaction. As it ate, the tremors in its coiled body shook the chamber around them.

Its carapace fluttered in rhythm to its bites, and both Nay and Nom glimpsed a green glow on its back underneath its outer shell. For a brief moment, Nay saw the strange growth on its pale body. She squinted and tried to get a better look, but the text prompt blocked her view and took up all her vision.


[Marrow Detected!]

[Truffle Marrow of The Sketsis]


More of the magic words pressed that prompt down.


[Quest Detected]

[Quest: Separate The Marrow from The Steksis]

[Reward: Truffle Marrow of The Steksis]

[Accept Quest Y/N?]


Nay mentally accepted the quest and the prompt disappeared.

“This is really quite delicious,” it crooned.

“And there’s more where that came from,” Nay said. Her voice trembled. It was impossible to hide her fear. But if they couldn’t fight this thing, maybe they could negotiate. “All you have to do is not kill or eat us and we can give you the best meal you’ve had in…well…I’m guessing a very long time.”

The Steksis studied Nay. She tried not to look away from its gaze, to show resolve and that she wasn’t trying to deceive the monster. She needed it to trust her.

“What are you talking about?” it asked her. It had taken the hook.

“I’m a chef,” Nay said and she nodded her head at Nom. “And that’s my sous chef. If you let us, we can prepare you a delicious meal. Something that will taste much better than us.”

“How do I know you’re not trying to trick me?”

“If you’re displeased with the meal, then you can do with us as you will.”

“So what do you get out of it if I do like your food?”

“Our lives.”

The Steksis looked between them both, examining the two with scrutiny.

“It’s not like we could get away from you if we tried. You’re much faster than us. And stronger. You could eat us…but in the end I think you’ll find as a meal, we’re rather disappointing. And you’ll have missed out on some of the best food you’ve ever had.”

The Steksis considered Nay’s words for a long moment, presumably weighing the options and outcomes in its head. Nay held in her breath, expecting the worst. This was it. She had survived this long to finally meet her end at the hands of an actual real monster in an alternate reality where magic was real. Different regrets flashed through her mind, not getting to say goodbye to her mom, not getting her brick and mortar restaurant up and running, not getting to cook ever again. And strangely, not getting to survive this ordeal to eventually return to her own world to tell people that the multiverse and alternate realities were real.

The Steksis finally spoke again. “No one has actually ever cooked for me before.”

/////////

The Steksis was so excited about the prospect of someone cooking for it that it carried both Nay and Nom close to its torso, its two human arms wrapped around them as its serpentine-millipede body carried them back to the outskirts of Paleforge proper where their camp was set up.

“I can’t remember the last time I left my Bone Dolmen,” it said. “But you promise me a meal and I can’t think of a better reason to leave my dwelling.”

Nay and Nom exchanged a look. She wasn’t sure how comfortable they should get with The Steksis, especially when death was as imminent as a change in its mood. Better to focus on the task at hand and worry about their relationship status with it later. At that thought, more text appeared at the center of her vision.


[Reputation Menu]

[Factions]

[The Scar: Unfriendly]


A status bar appeared, indicating her reputation with The Steksis, Unfriendly. It was nearly filled with green progress and now she was close to the Neutral bar. Interesting. Nay wondered where they would stand if it liked her cooking. She was hoping it would push them into the Friendly bar.

“What are you even going to make?” Nom whispered. “We barely have any ingredients.”

Nay shushed him. “I’ll show you when it’s time.”

When they were back at their camp, The Steksis deposited them back to the ground and coiled around the camp, forming a circle around the area with its body. If they tried to make a run for it, they would have to climb over its insectoid-snake body.

“If you try anything,” The Steksis said, “then I will be eating both of you raw.”

Nay nodded. “Understood.”

She nudged Nom towards the ashes of their last fire. “Get the campfire going, I’ll handle the rest.”

“What do I do after it has started?” he whispered.

“Follow my lead and make yourself look busy.”

“If this goes south, I’m going to have words with you when we’re in the belly of that thing.”

She shushed him again and went to the cooking kit. She took out their remaining flatbread, the quarter of dried cheese they had left and more of the dried meat. She set them up on the flat rock which she had made her cooking station. She reached for the dagger in her scabbard and realized it wasn’t there. Dammit. She needed that blade.

She walked over to where The Steksis was sitting.

“You don’t happen to have my dagger do you?” Nay asked. “I need it. It’s my chef’s knife. And as you know, a chef cooks best with their knife.”

The Steksis let out what sounded like a purr and then just stared at Nay. Then Nay sensed movement and looked across the campfire at the creature’s body. Its segmented legs were passing her dagger from one leg to the next, until it finally reached the human-like hands. It had probably hid the weapon in one of what must be many compartments within its carapace. It held the dagger out hilt-first to Nay. But when Nay grabbed it the Steksis did not let go.

“Remember, try anything and it’s you I’ll be nibbling on.” The Steksis let go of the blade and Nay nodded and hurried back to her cooking station.

Nay took some of the flat bread and sliced it down the pocket, creating two pieces. She drizzled some of the olive oil on each piece and set them to the side. Next, she carefully cut through portions of the cheese, creating thin slices. She placed these on the oil-drizzled sides of the flatbread. She said to Nom, “Give me a low flame setting, Nom.”

“Yes, chef!” Nom had the tinder lit and was fanning it into a bigger flame with undulations of his body.

Nay wondered where he had learned that etiquette. Were restaurants a thing in his world? She would have to remember to ask him. “Go ahead and get a tea kettle going, too.” They still had some of the tea Piero had on him, and although they’ve rarely been drinking it, it would be best to pull out all the stops now.

Nom positioned the pot on its holder so there was some distance between the fire and the bottom of the pot, which was how they would get a low-flame setting. He slithered back over to Nay’s side and hooked one of his green fin-protuberances through the kettle handle and brought it to the fire.

Nay joined him and filled the kettle with water from one of the waterskins. Next she crushed up some of the tea leaves and sprinkled it into the wood flagon. She was curious what plant the leaves were actually from and what it was called here. From her experience drinking it, it contained a caffeine boost.

The Steksis watched their activity with interest, occasionally clearing its throat. It held its two human arms out in front of it, the fingers moving as if it was an old crone crocheting a quilt. It was talking to itself but Nay couldn’t hear what it was saying. But it seemed both pleased and entertained. With a little luck, maybe they would be out of unfriendly territory with it soon, so they wouldn’t have to worry about being on its murderous side anymore.

Next, Nay drizzled more of the olive oil on the bottom of the pot and then placed the two pieces of flatbread with cheese on top into the pot. The oil sizzled upon contact with the bread and soon enough they would be crispy. She closed the pot with its lid so the steam would melt the cheese.

Nom sidled up to her and pretended to fan the flames. He lowered his voice. “What is this curious dish called?”

“You’ve never had a grilled cheese sandwich before?” Nay said.

Nom seemed like he was in awe. “Grilled…grilled cheese? I must try this dish. ”

“No, we don’t know how much it’s going to want to eat and we only have so much.”

“But –“

“No, buts! We’re trying to stay alive here.”

That shut him up.

Nay lifted the lid and peaked in the pot. The cheese had melted on top of the flatbread. She grabbed one side of the sandwich and flipped it over, placing it on top of the other half, making the sandwich whole. Then she spent the next minute making sure each side was evenly grilled.

She removed the sandwich and set it on the flat stone. She took her dagger and cut the sandwich in half diagonally, creating two beautiful halves of a flatbread grilled cheese sandwich. It kind of looked like a Panini with just cheese. Not exactly the best presentation, but it was simple and Nay knew it would taste delicious.

Nom poured the hot water from the kettle into the flagon, making the tea. He carried the flagon and set it down on the flat stone next to the sandwich. Nay scooped out the soaked tea leave detritus with the wooden spoon, wiped the side of the cup, then positioned it all together on the stone. She was pleased with this simple yet effective presentation. Her and Nom shared a look then they both backed away to give the Steksis room.

Nay motioned at The Steksis and bowed, “I present to you, a flatbread grilled cheese and tea.”

“This better work or this might be our last moment before we’re unalived,” Nom whispered out of the side of his beak.

“Shut up,” Nay hissed, kicking him with the side of her foot.

“Ow!”

The Steksis extended and wrapped around so that its torso was in front of the flat stone. Its yellow eyes flared with brightness upon the sight of the sandwich and tea. There was a greedy hunger contorting on the face of the crone.

It slowly lowered one of its withered human arms and wrapped its fingers around a half of the sandwich. It held the grilled cheese up to its face and examined the texture of the bread, scraping a finger nail across the golden-brown crispy surface. It sniffed at the gooey cheese leaking out of the side and grew a tad more excited upon smelling the sharp, tangy cheese.

Then, it leaned in, its sharp teeth glowing like pearls, and it took a bite out of the sandwich.

Both Nay and Nom leaned forward, scrutinizing the creature’s face and reaction as it chewed. It swallowed, not saying anything, but took another curious bite, its teeth crunching into the perfectly grilled bread.

A tear rolled down its cheek as it finished the first half of the sandwich.

“Is everything okay?” Nay said.

“This is the first time someone has cooked for me.” It began to weep, its shoulders shaking with each sob.

“Please let those be tears of joy, please let those be tears of joy,” Nom chanted, bracing for the worst.

“This is the first time I’ve been happy in a long, long time,” The Steksis said. “I never thought I would experience joy again, at least not until the return of The Shrillings.”

Nay wanted to ask what The Shrillings were, but she suspected they had something to do with The Scar and the fall of the city of Paleforge.

The Steksis picked up the wooden flagon and took a sip of the tea. Its face lit up even more, if that was possible. There was a ding as Nay received a notification.


[Reputation Menu]

[Factions]

[The Scar: Unfriendly]


The bar filled with green and the Unfriendly bar disappeared, replaced with Neutral.


[The Scar: Neutral!]


All of Nay’s tension deflated out of her. She immediately felt relief. Her gamble worked. The Steksis liked her meal so much it put them on better terms. This monster now considered her and Nom non-threats. Looks like they wouldn’t be dying, yet.

It picked up the other half of the sandwich and took another bite, but more slowly this time, savoring the experience. Then it sipped more of the tea, its eyes closed as it continued to eat and drink. Soon it had finished the sandwich and had slurped up the last of the tea, taking its final smack of the lips and swallow.


[Reputation Menu]

[Factions]

[The Scar: Friendly!]


The reputation meter leveled up to the next degree, which was Freindly. Nay was flabbergasted.

Nom nudged her and said, “What’s going on in that magical head of yours?”

At that moment, The Steksis let out a huge burp, making them both jump. But there was a huge smile on its face.

“I think we’re going to be okay, Nom,” Nay said. “We’ll live to see another day.”

16