Chapter 9 – Store Clerk
625 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At first, she was seemingly cornered by the fact that she killed 2 people. But the next thing, she was deemed innocent as it was her way to defend herself, at least that was how the Adventurer Guild’s members saw it.

A few hours had passed after Morgan got arrested and interrogated by Diana, and she was now sitting on a chair in front of the receptionist desk to complete her registration. The receptionist girl’s expression was somewhat softened, quite the contrary from before. Even the Guild’s members who had been hostile to her, now just threw a warm smile at her from time to time.

“Morgan, are these all your skills?”

The receptionist warmly questioned Morgan, as she input the data to a piece of paper manually.

“Yes… Is there any problem?”

“Not at all. You’re quite talented for your age. It was fortunate that you weren’t discovered by the nobles and sold to them.”

Fortunate my ass… You guys almost accused me for unreasonable murders, didn’t you? Not that I really didn’t kill them. Whoops I shouldn’t say it out loud

“Yes. I’m so skinny so nobody would even look at me…”

Morgan lowered her head while making a vague smile, and it put the receptionist’s heart at guilt.

“Sorry… I didn’t mean to make you remember those things.”

Without giving a proper answer, Morgan only shook her head slowly. After waiting for around 5 minutes or so, the receptionist handed her a gray colored card. A capitalized F letter was on it.

“Alright. Your registration is complete, Morgan. Do you need me to explain how adventurers work?”

With a refreshing and high-tensioned tone, the receptionist girl asked her.

“... Do I need to pay for that?”

Morgan meekly asked, as the receptionist made quite a troubled face.

“No. You don’t need to. The Guild Master already told us your circumstances. The registration fee was already paid by her. Please use the money you’re carrying to buy proper clothes and gears.”

“I see… Thank you, receptionist big sister.”

The receptionist’s heart melted, figuratively. It was as if a switch was turned on in her body, as she began to spout things overly friendly.

“Call me Irina, Morgan! Ah now I’m feeling really terrible after accusing you last night.”

You’d better be! I had to exert unnecessary energy because of that!

“Irina big sister, would you mind continuing to explain?”

“Ah! Sorry! Ahem…”

Irina cleared her throat and began explaining.

“First of all, you should see an F letter on your Guild ID. That’s your adventurer rank. Adventurers are ranked from F to S and new adventurers, no matter where they’re from, will start from F rank. You’re also one.”

Irina tried to explain in the easiest way possible, and when she looked at Morgan’s face, she knew that Morgan comprehended everything. With a wide smile on her face, she continued to explain as detailed as she could.

“The F ranked adventurers mainly do herb gathering, cleaning the sewers, or hunting low ranked monsters, such as goblins, kobolds, and so on. And when you reach the peak limit, you’re required to take the ranking promotion test. The higher your adventurer rank is, the harder the quest you’re able to take. Of course, the bounty is worth the risk. For example, a single F ranked quest will have a bounty of around 10 to 15 bronze coins, while the E ranked ones will be about 20 to 30 bronze coins. Quite the difference, aren’t they?”

Whoa… Here comes the fantasy. If I only had the time to experience those things like games in my previous life, the knowledge would be useful… No, no, no. I mustn’t think like that! Wait, bronze coins? Does money also have that kind of ranking system? If there’s bronze, there should be gold as well…

“Um… Can I ask something?”

Morgan, who had been silently listening to Irina’s explanation, raised a question while fidgeting.

“Yes, you can ask aaaaaanything, Morgan.”

“I’ve never seen coins aside from the bronze ones, are there more than that out there?”

Her question almost raised Irina’s suspicion, but Irina quickly remembered Morgan’s standing. It wasn’t a normal question that should be asked by the residents of that world, but just because of her standing as a slave, Morgan was saved by that fact quite fortunately. She herself didn’t realize that, though.

“Of course there’s more to it. You might’ve never seen them but there are silvers, golds, white golds, and arcane platinums. 100 bronze coins equal to 1 silver coin, and so on. But I’m sure you’ll be able to see those in the near future. You’re gonna be big, Morgan, just by looking at your talents!”

Damn, even her idle talk is this long. Does she have any skill for that? Oh right, I wonder if I can see others’ statuses

“By the way, not only adventurers, monsters are also ranked from F to S. You can imagine it as a triangle diagram of a food chain. The bottom ones are the F ranked monsters, and the higher it goes, the stronger the monsters are. Normally you need a party to do hunting quests, but for F ranked monsters, even a regular person can hunt one of them quite easily.”

Quite a long explanation, even Morgan started to get bored since she had briefly known of that.

Speaking of which, where is it all this time? It didn’t respond to me at all even when I was being interrogated… Is it really gone?

She was referring to the androgyneous voice from before and still didn’t feel its presence for the last 2 days. When Morgan was deep in her own thoughts, Irina opened her mouth with enthusiasm and direct support for Morgan.

“Why don’t we start with your first quest? I’ve prepared some easier ones just for you! Wanna take a look at them?”

♦ ♦ ♦

“3 silver and 72 bronze coins… Guess this is all I have for now.”

Morgan strolled on the busy street as she was looking for cheap clothes vendors. What’s more, she also had to buy gears needed for hunting and doing her quest. She kept walking and looking around until she spotted a clothing store near the next intersection ahead. Hurriedly, she ran to the store, ignoring her chapped feet that felt cold and a bit painful when making contact with the stone flooring since she didn’t wear any footwears at all. Once she arrived, she quickly entered the place.

“Welcome to the sto━ Ugh, what is a slave doing here?”

The store clerk, who was a man in his mid 30s, dressed glamorously, pinched his nose when he saw Morgan.

Oh, quite the nice reaction he got there.

“Excuse me, I want to buy some clothes.”

Morgan ignored his rude attitude and just went on with the business. Seeing that, the clerk made another rude response.

“Do you even have the money, kid?”

Without replying to him, Morgan only took her money pouch and innocently showed that to the clerk.

“... Tsk. Follow me.”

The store clerk stood from his chair and guided Morgan to the cheap clothes section located deep in the store.

“This is all we got. Choose whatever you want and just get the hell outta here.”

Wow. Should a clerk behave like that?

Morgan tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths and strangely, she was calming down in no time at all. But at that time, she still didn’t realize that it would be one of her most used traits in the future.

Morgan looked around at the pile of clothes in front of her. She rummaged through everything and picked a pair of tight underwear, a white bra, a sleeveless white shirt, a pair of brown leather short pants, and a pair of gladiator-like footwears. She took them to the counter where another store clerk was standing still, waiting for the customers to pay for the clothes they bought.

“... It’s 2 silver and 30 bronze coins in total. Do you need the receipt?”

“No, it’s fine. Is there a changing room? I want to wear it now.”

“There…”

The clerk pointed her finger in a certain direction, and Morgan quickly ran there after paying. When she was done, she quit the room and fixed her sight at the big mirror near the door.

I never expected to say this about myself but damn… I do look good in this kind of attire. What I need now is a bath, but completing my quest takes priority… Ugh, I really want to take a bath so badly.

The sleeveless white shirt amped up the charm Morgan originally had from the start. It was in contrast to her slightly tanned skin, but with those two things combined, Morgan did look astonishingly gorgeous. Her stature was quite small compared to girls around her age, but that gap made her appearance more charming.

She then looked downwards and smiled a bit when looking at the brown leather pants she was wearing. It was a perfect fit without any discomfort at all. And the footwear she chose, she was doubtful at first, but when she looked at it, it wasn’t that bad at all. Although it was still a little bit bigger than her feet.

Well, this body is still growing.

Seeing Morgan coming out from the changing room, the male clerk who had been rude to her only opened his mouth in amazement. Morgan glanced at him and realized that she was being stared at, and quickly made her way out of that place while taking her dirty rags along with the rope.

“That man… I should remember his face… Hihihi.”

Morgan, while giggling excitedly, left the store and dumped the dirty rags to a trash can nearby. She then reached her hand to her pocket and took out the pouch.

“1 silver and 42 bronze coins left. Well, I should take it nice and slow…”

Morgan grinned, exposing a pair of the fangs she had been hiding all the time before.

“Just like when you grill a delicious and juicy piece of meat…”

Morgan gulped her saliva and her eyes started to make a really eerie look.

“No, no, no. I must contain my excitement. Guess this is where everything starts, isn’t it?”

She glanced to the sky and dashed as quickly as she could, leaving only faint footsteps on the freezing stone flooring. Meanwhile, the people who saw her dressed so lightly in the middle of winter, only gaped in disbelief.

26