Chapter 16 – The Calm Before the Storm
385 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Black Forest was known for its bizarreness and unreal ecosystemic environment. And there, near a small pond on the outermost middle part of the forest, two buck naked young women were seen leaning their backs against a thick tree. One of them was panting heavily and couldn’t properly catch her own breath, while the other one looked depressed and disarrayed.

“Never once again… I’m piggybacking someone while running! Ever!”

The one who was panting, Morgan, uttered her curses while raising her middle finger to the other girl.

“... Was I that heavy?”

With a dejected look on her face, the other girl, Sylvana, gullibly raised a question that she should already know the answer to.

“Of fucking course! You do look slim but in fact I felt like carrying a huge backpack filled with stone bricks!”

Morgan tried to stand up but to no avail. Her legs were too weak to even carry her own weight, to the point both her feet were trembling like crazy. She knew her stamina wasn’t great at all, yet because of her own greed, she ended up hurting in a lot more ways she could never imagine.

“... I’m sorry…”

Hearing Morgan complained, Sylvana lowered her head and hugged her knees. The cold seemingly began to affect her body.

“You’d better be.”

Although they came out alive from that hell, Morgan’s anger didn’t seem to subside at all. She then glanced at Sylvana’s stomach and added.

“Enough with that. I didn’t bring you with me just to hear you saying sorry.”

Without giving proper response, Sylvana realized her stomach was being stared at and the memories of when she was forcefully made pregnant resurfaced. Her complexion grew dim the more she tried to stop her memories from flashing up inside her mind. She then looked at the bump on her stomach and gritted her teeth.

“... I don’t know what happened to you back then but if you’re thinking of doing something ridiculous, do it later, elf girl.”

Morgan slapped her own cheeks and mustered her resolve.

“I’m coming back to that village… My revenge isn’t over just yet.”

Instead of dwelling in her fear, Morgan accepted the fact that she wasn’t strong enough to kill the goblin chief and her vengeful personality allowed nothing to tarnish her ambitions.

“Please take me with you! I don’t want to be left alone again…”

Sylvana quickly reached for Morgan’s hand and received a sharp gaze from Morgan’s golden pupils instead.

What can you do? I don’t wanna carry an extra handicap while fighting that monster

Morgan’s thought was gradually reflected in her face and Sylvana somehow knew that.

“You’ll just get in my way.”

Morgan brushed Sylvana’s hand off of her and started to walk in the direction she had come earlier. On the other hand, Sylvana desperately grabbed Morgan’s left foot and screamed.

“That thing is a Goblin Champion! Not a chief!”

Morgan’s ears twitched after hearing that.

[Aah… So that explains why it was that strong…]

Cthylla, who had been silent since Morgan and Sylvana escaped the goblin village, finally opened her mouth. Her statement invited Morgan’s curiosity.

Care to explain it to me?

[Hmm… How should I put it? Erm… Still remember when I explained to you that monsters are also ranked from F to S?]

Yeah. What of it?

Morgan raised a question internally as she kept dragging the crying Sylvana on her feet.

[Normally, goblins are considered the weakest monster in this world. But it’s not the case if there’s a variant.]

So?

[There are 4 variants of goblins, namely Hobgoblins, Goblin Shamans, Goblin Champions, and Goblin Kings. For Hobgoblins and Goblin Shamans, I do think you’re able to defeat it in a one on one fight since they’re ranked as E class monsters. But as for Goblin Champions and Kings…]

Morgan stopped her legs and it made Sylvana raise her head, showing a face full of tears and snots. Feeling disgusted, Morgan’s face turned red and frantically tried to escape from Sylvana’s grip.

“Disgusting! Disgusting! Disgusting! Let go of me you stupid bitch!”

Morgan desperately pushed Sylvana away from her, but strangely enough, Sylvana was unmoved like a boulder. The strength on Sylvana’s grip was no joke. Morgan even started to feel pain from the constant friction between her bare skin and Sylvana’s subtle chest.

“No! I won’t! You’ll leave me if I let go of your foot!”

“If you still have strength left, why don’t you help yourself and get away from this place!?”

The scene was quite comedic and Cthylla, who was forced to watch that, began to feel irritated.

[... What in the hell are you doing?]

Shut up! Just keep explaining!

[... The chance of you winning is near to 0. Goblin Champions are A-ranked monsters and a full party of 4 B-ranked adventurers is the bare minimum requirement to even barely defeat it, with a casualty or two of course.]

Then what should I do? I left my clothes near that village and I don’t wanna go back to town while being buck naked like this… Ugh! This bitch is really annoying…!

Completely snapped, Morgan kicked Sylvana right in the face as hard as she could, resulting in Sylvana’s body rolling on the ground several times until her back hit the thick tree from before. With a face full of tears, snots, and now fresh blood coming from the nose, Sylvana uttered while touching her nose frantically.

“Why’d you have to kick me in the face when I’m down!?”

“Cause you’re fucking annoying! I’m still thinking on how to defeat that shit and you just kept wailing like a hungry dog wanting to be fed!”

[... Then just kill her…]

I can’t! At least until she gives birth to the thing inside her womb!

Staying true to her conviction of not killing pregnant women, Morgan denied Cthylla’s suggestion abruptly. Deep down inside, Morgan still tried to somewhat retain her humanity at the bare minimum, quite contradictory to how inhumane she always behaved. She thought that killing pregnant women would leave a really bad taste in her mouth and it could affect her mental health for probably 1 or 2 weeks.

[Haaaah… Alright, alright. So, what’s your plan?]

Cthylla heaved a sigh and questioned Morgan’s decision. Although Cthylla wasn’t an entity that could be seen, Morgan somehow could clearly picture Cthylla putting on a troubled face. In her response, Morgan raised a question that should’ve been asked ever since the time when she hadn’t been able to grasp the knowledge about magic.

Can you explain to me how to use magic?

Hearing Morgan’s question, Cthylla only gaped her mouth in disbelief, imaginatively.

[... You… You just used magic when you burned that goblin’s neck earlier in the village…]

I was just following my instinct so I wasn’t even aware of what I was doing at that time.

[Just how ignorant can you be!?]

Cthylla paused for a brief moment.

[Alright, I’ll explain it as simply as possible. The most important point on how to use magic is that you don’t need to think about it too much.]

Huh? What do you mean by that?

[... The concept of magic existed as a myth in your previous world, and as far as I know, the knowledge about magic isn’t that hard to understand. What you must prioritize is Mana Control. Don’t even bother to think about chemical reactions or whatnot, it just doesn’t work that way.]

As clueless as she could be, Morgan could barely understand what Cthylla had explained to her. She still wasn’t aware that normal earthly common sense couldn’t be applied in that fantasy world and it was quite understandable since she really had no knowledge about that whatsoever. On the other hand, Cthylla started to get irritated.

[Aaaarggghh! Listen here , you dimwit! Just try to remember the sensation from that time! Picture it in your mind and feel the mana in your body. It’s just that simple!]

Morgan realized that she was being so stupidly moronic as she closed her eyelids shut and decided to ignore the harsh words that came from Cthylla. She took deep breaths a few times and when her body grew more relaxed, Morgan began to feel tingly sensations all over her body, along with a strangely warm churn beneath her solar plexus. She recognized the sensation and quickly understood it.

I see… This warm feeling in my abdomen should be mana… And the tingly sensation should be mana spreading through my entire nerves

Morgan entered a state of trance where she could even hear her own heartbeat thumping loudly. She could also feel the nature energy swishing gently from time to time, enhancing her perceiving sense immensely. Meanwhile, Sylvana, who had been crying in pain, ceased her cry all at once after seeing Morgan. With a nasal voice, Sylvana uttered.

“... I can’t believe this… How could someone who’s not even a druid listen to spirits’ voices!?”

Sylvana crawled slowly in Morgan’s direction, ignoring the searing pain on her bleeding nose. Once she arrived at Morgan’s behind, her curiosity beat her dignity and it made her observe Morgan even closer. The elf girl even walked around Morgan several times while sometimes squinting her eyes.

“This color… Where have I seen it?””

In fact, Morgan didn’t know that her body was glowing with purplish light accompanied by countless small balls of light in the same color around her, in contrast to her buck naked slender figure. Even her black hair started to turn purplish on the tips. Not long after, Sylvana, who kept circling Morgan endlessly, made a startled look on her face as if she realized something unbelievable.

“One of the Great Old Ones!?”

[... This elf girl…]

Morgan’s ears twitched a little as she almost lost her focus.

Don’t think about anything… Don’t think about anything

Morgan was really distracted by what Sylvana said and in the end, she lost her focus.

“You little bitch…!”

Morgan turned her body while clenching her fists, showing off another pissed off face that Sylvana had been a little accustomed to. “Ah, here she comes with her punch…”, was what Sylvana was thinking at the moment. In the blink of an eye, Sylvana’s body was already floating in the air and fell to the ground head first right after.

13