Chapter 18 – Goblin Champion 1
277 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Listen, you might think of goblins as stupid and brute creatures, but in fact, even though they’re not smart, they’re not stupid either.”

Sylvana slowly explained to Morgan.

“They’re able to adapt to even the harshest environment, and rational enough to use weapons when needed. Well, you can say goblins are somewhat equal to children in terms of their intelligence.”

Every single word that came from Sylvana's mouth was engraved into Morgan's brain. Probably it was due to Sylvana’s experience of being held captive by the goblins for who knows how long it was. And no matter how clueless Morgan was, she was still eager to accept even the slightest bit of information she could afford.

"If they're nocturnal, then why did I encounter a group of them before I came to the village?"

Morgan raised a question.

"Ah, that's probably the patrol or hunting group."

"What do you mean?"

Sylvana heaved a sigh before she replied to Morgan's curious question.

"In human terms, goblins also have shifts. Well, if you know what I'm talking about, of course."

"..."

[That's true. If you want to catch them off guard, now is the best time.]

Getting persuaded by Cthylla and indirectly by Sylvana, Morgan's principle swayed a little. She was somewhat aware that both Cthylla and Sylvana were telling her to reconsider her decision, and in the end, she paid no heed and stayed with her own principle.

“I’ll still wait until night. If you want to storm in now just do it for yourself.”

Hearing Morgan’s words, Sylvana only sighed and shrugged her hands. She then pulled some branches from the bush and used those as a mattress to sit on. Meanwhile, Morgan was already deep in her own thoughts.

I’ve been too affected by others’ thoughts nowadays and that’s not a good sign. For what happens next I’ll be counting on the future me

[... At times like this you’re being so unusually stubborn…]

No, I’m not being stubborn. It’s just… How should I put it? I kinda feel a little bit uneasy about being led by others. You know what I mean, right?

[Unfortunately, I know. I know it too well…]

In Morgan’s ears, Cthylla’s words were rather sad and it piqued her curiosity.

Come to think of it, you never told me the reason why you wanted to get rid of your parents, Cthylla.

[... That’s a long story and now’s not the time for that. If you decide to infiltrate the village at night, I think you should train your magic to kill time until that.]

Quite a reasonable suggestion from Cthylla. But it wasn’t the case for Morgan who thought that Cthylla was just trying to put an end to their conversation abruptly.

♦ ♦ ♦

Meanwhile, several hours later, near Agate Port City’s gate.

An enormous group of adventurers led by Diana was getting prepared for the Goblin Champion subjugation. Some of them were checking on gears and supplies, while the rest were helping each other put luggage in huge bags and carts.

“Guild Master! We’ve got a new report from the scouts!”

Diana, who was checking on her light armors and polishing her twin swords, turned her head to the direction where the voice came from.

“Oh, I’ve been waiting for you. And you should call me by my name here. Right now, I’m not the Guild Master. I’m just another fellow adventurer, okay?”

Diana smiled at the source warmly, indicating that she was somewhat on friendly terms with them. She then continued to speak when the source of the voice was awkwardly flustering.

“Read it aloud. I want everybody here to hear it.”

As if leaving her responsibility to her subordinate, Diana kept on polishing her swords while the other adventurers began to gather around. The one who brought the news was a young man wearing a brown cloak and wielding a cheap looking wooden staff. Just by looking at his looks, no one would buy it if told that he was somewhat a veteran adventurer.

“Uhm… The name’s Lennon. Even though I look like this, I’m a B-ranked adventurer specialized in long-range combat and g─”

“Hey, we’re not here to hear you introduce yourself and we already know you!”

“Come on, we’ve been wasting our time. Just spill it out, lad!”

“Ahaha… Thanks guys…”

The boy, Lennon, put on a wry smile and scratched his cheek. A few moments later, he opened his mouth again with a stern and gallant voice, quite the contrary from before.

“We’ve just got a new report from the scout, stating that there were hostages in the goblin village…”

Hearing the announcement, all other adventurers began to put a grim look on their respective faces, especially the female adventurers. They seemed to understand what it meant to be a hostage in a goblin village and it put their minds on uneasiness.

“Goblins never spare their male prey’s life so it’s clear what kind of hostages they decide to hold on captive and I don’t think I even need to explain further…”

Diana, on the other hand, stood up and sheathed her twin swords and approached Lennon slowly. When she reached the crowds, Diana ordered.

“You heard it loud and clear, comrades. Those poor souls are in need of rescuing as soon as possible. Finish the preparation and let us depart in an instant!”

Diana swung one of her twin swords horizontally and it instantly made the adventurer hurriedly rush. Meanwhile, Lennon, who was at the center of attention before, approached Diana and whispered softly.

“Actually, Guild Ma─ No, Diana, I still have something to give to you personally.”

“Hmm?”

Lennon then pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it over to Diana.

“This is…?”

“Just read it and you’ll understand.”

Quickly, Diana unfolded the paper and began to read the content. Not long after, she widened her eyes and glanced at Lennon sharply.

“Is this information valid?”

“I believe so.  Her Majesty directly sent it to me a little while ago when I was still on a mission so I had no time to even check it.”

Lennon shook his head and made a troubled expression.

“This… has turned into a giant mess…”

Diana folded the paper and shoved it to her pocket, then she rubbed her temples in frustration and added.

“How in the world could an elf nobility be held captive by goblins? If we don’t rescue her soon, the Elven Kingdom will wage war on Vanaris…”

“I know. Should I go there first and look for an opportunity to somehow set her free?”

Lennon suggested.

“No, that will leave a bad taste in my mouth if you only rescue one of the hostages. Be it nobility or not, a life is still a life. Everyone deserves the same treatment…”

Diana clenched her fists as she felt quite shaken by the news. “It is too unreal to call it a coincidence, someone must’ve been working behind the scenes…”, she thought. Diana then slapped her own cheeks a few times and looked at Lennon. Diana then bowed down and begged.

“Len─ No, Vanaris’ Royal Swords’ Seventh Seat, Court Mage Lennon de Grimm, I beseech you…”

Looking at Diana who was bowing down, Lennon could hide his surprise but almost instantly, he regained his composure and put on a serious face.

“Please, save the hostages, along with the Elven Kingdom’s Second Princess, Sylvana Faerys… With my ability, I’ll only put them in more danger…”

Lennon flailed his hands profusely to stop Diana from acting so while the other adventurers began to stare at the two of them curiously.

“Please…”

Diana kept bowing her body, throwing all her pride into the gutter. For her, the hostages’ lives mattered more than her pride and nobility.

“Okay! Okay! Please raise your head, Diana! People are watching us!”

After hearing Lennon’s response, Diana raised her face with sparkling eyes.

“Thank you, Lennon! I’m glad to have you as my ally!”

Lennon only put on a wry smile and readied his body.

“I’ll go, then.”

With a dash, he slid forwards at a tremendous speed, heading to the direction where the goblin village was located.

♦ ♦ ♦

The sun had set a little while earlier, and the Black Forest began to show its true form. The dark and damp forest, along with the thick trees that would seemingly come to life at any moment, rendered Morgan’s heart in excitement and thrill for a bloodbath.

“At fucking last…”

After all the time Morgan allocated to train her magic, she began to understand the principle of magic and how to use it in a much easier way.

“I can believe I didn’t realize it sooner.”

She then flicked her fingers and a ball of fire appeared in front of her.

[I told you. You don’t even need to think about anything…]

Alright, it's time for the real party

[Hey! Don’t ignore me!]

Morgan stood up from her cross-legged sitting position and stretched. The sound of her back bones cracking woke Sylvana up from her sleep.

“Huh… Huh… What…?”

“It’s time to wake up, sleepy head. We’ve got some parties to attend.”

Morgan grinned widely, showing her pure white teeth along with a pair of sharp and pointy fangs. Seeing that, Sylvana thought, “Ah, she’s definitely up to no good again…” and let herself be dragged by the neck. Meanwhile, Morgan glanced at Sylvana’s stomach and pointed that out.

“Isn’t your stomach bigger than earlier?”

In response, Sylvana lowered her head and looked at her stomach. She then whispered.

“Yeah… Probably later in the night…”

“... That fast?”

Sylvana turned her gaze at Morgan and put on a forced smile.

“You don’t know how fast goblins can grow…”

“... How many times have you given birth to them?”

It was a heartless question, but Morgan had no time to even consider that and just blurted it out nonchalantly.

“Ahaha… You’re really merciless.”

Sylvana heaved a sigh and closed her eyelids shut. Even though she was hurt by Morgan’s question, she answered honestly.

“This is the second time…”

Such a heavy atmosphere clouded the two of them. They went silent until they reached the hole where Morgan had snuck in before.

“There won’t be a third…”

Abruptly, Morgan raised her voice and deep down inside Sylvana’s heart, she could only believe it as she began to tear up a little bit.

“Thank you…”

13