Chapter 4: A place to belong
104 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the passing of seasons, in a blink of an eye. Two years have passed since I arrived here. I was taught basic things like language and arithmetic by Elisa. She was formerly a teacher specializing in language and arithmetic. Despite her silly looks, she is a very capable tutor. I was taught history and science by bear-san Ryan.

 

This place which I always had thought of as a desolated village is actually one of the few thousands human settlements that are still up and running. This place was designated as Settlement_3470 by the human alliance federation. People just call the base Yonavel village because of the base's first founder, Ryuga Yonavel. He was the pioneer who led the surviving members of the humans to survive the first onslaught of apocalypse. It was said he lost his life soon after the founding of the town.

 

I ran through the streets of the village arriving in front of a house. The rundown looks along with the menacing aura emanating from it might make anyone think it was haunted. I walked in through the front door when I was greeted by the shopkeeper.

 

“Good morning Ryin, are you here for the usual?” 

 

I nodded my head in agreement. The shopkeeper left the counter to fetch the medicine in the store room. The door was rather hidden so not many would notice a door there unless someone had a discerning eye. I wonder why the door is hidden so well. It is none of my business to pry further anyways.

 

The shopkeeper was rather a kind person contrary to her menacing looks. Her body is full of scars and battle wounds of the past. The scar on her left eye was said to be the result of her younger days in the military.

 

She came out of the room as usual with a bag of medicines in her hand. 

 

“Give my regards to Ryan as well will you. That bastard better repay me later.” grumbled Estelle.

 

“Thanks auntie Estelle”

 

I nodded my head before turning around and leaving. I give my usual thank you as usual before stepping out of the store. Despite its rundown looks it is still quite popular among the community.

 

“It seems like it’s gonna start raining soon”

 

I rushed home seeing the weather depicting what might be and upcoming rain. I ran through the streets hoping to reach home as quickly as possible. Despite calling it as such, none of the people living there are my family members. Yet I call it my home since it was full of memories over the years I lived here. Along with people I treasure the most.

 

I stopped in front of a large house. In front of the place I call home. This place was once designated as a hospital but was scrapped due to lack of fundings years ago. Ryan took over as the owner and made this place his mansion, which is rather grand considering how big the place is supposed to be. But it also functions as a meeting hall as well as a hospital at the same time.

 

I stepped foot in the building. The living quarters are on the east wing of the estate while the south and west are reserved for hospital uses. 

 

Usually the building will be bustling with life, however today felt off…. really off. 

 

The house is eerily silent.

 

~creak

 

The creaking sounds of the floorboards echoed throughout the room. The silent devoid of light made the house seem empty and devoid of life. 

 

I continued my step further into the buildings. Perhaps everyone is busy for today?

 

I continued further without a second thought not expecting what to happen next.

 

The sudden burst of light enveloped my eyes. The loud bang of an explosive similar to that of a firecracker echoed in my ears. From the shadows of the wall appears the silhouette of Ryan along with the other residents.

 

“Happy 10th birthday, Ryin!”

 

The loud cheering of everyone echoed throughout the buildings. I stepped back slightly over the sudden surprise. Was this what people call a surprise party?

 

Ryan walked out of the crowd with a gift in his hands. He seemed happy to see that his surprise had gone well. I sat on the floor, flabbergasted over the event that occurred. Did Ryan purposely send me out just to make this surprise?

 

“Uncle Ryan, auntie Elisa, big sis Lulu, big brother Ren… Did you prepare this for me?”

 

I curiously asked them. Their silent answers along with their gaze had given me all the answers I wanted. 

 

Streams of tears rolled out of my eyes. Perhaps this was really one of the best gifts I could get. Do I really deserve to get this happiness?

 

Big sis Lulu hugged me from behind. Words of console came from the mouth of everyone.

 

~Ahh

 

So this is how happiness felt like…

 

Ryan walked closer to me. He stopped in front of me before kneeling on his knees. In his hand held a letter or certificate of some sort.

 

“Ryin…”

 

“Two years. You had been on my side for two years. The time I spent with you was truly precious. I spend every day taking care of you from day till night, and I genuinely enjoy our days together. I know this might seem sudden to you….”

 

He paused for a second before continuing. His breath got shorter with each passing second. Perhaps he was also nervous about this.

 

“But… do you wish me to take you as my adopted son?”

 

I sat still on the ground. Pausing before nodding vigorously to his suggestion. Perhaps I was also surprised and happy by this sudden news. I wiped off the tears in my eyes before staring at Ryan no, father once again.

 

“Ryin Crossfield…”

 

I muttered my new name in silence. Perhaps finally having a family in this cruel world made me feel elated. Having someone you can trust and depend on made me feel safe. Perhaps it made me feel a stronger tie with this place. Making me feel that I finally belong here. My home… along with my new family.

~AHHHH
THIS WAS SUCH A PAIN TO WRITE >///<

I had to suffer so many minor setbacks trying to write but oh well here the end result. Tho my skill in writing dialogue seems better today

3