Interlude
180 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The sounds of metal hitting metal were the only ones that resounded through the grass plains. The ones creating these sounds were two individuals. Both young and yet, the strength they’ve shown was nothing to scoff at because a stray punch barely hit the other, hitting the tree behind one of them. With such force that it left a small trench behind the already destroyed tree.

 

A beautiful sword held by a handsome blond European teenager in a suit while the other person was holding a long ornamental spear. That person wore a mixture of traditional and modern Chinese clothes. It was a fast-paced battle in which they blurred throughout the vast grassy field. Only sparks and momentary pauses were the only sign that allowed others to see where they positioned themselves.

 

The aftermath of the battle left the field with craters.

 

“That’s enough for today, Arthur.” He said, only slightly sweating.

 

“Same time tomorrow? I would love to spar with you more, Cao Cao.” Said Arthur.

 

“Sure, but I have to do something today.” Said Cao Cao

 

“Does it have something to do with the news yesterday? It’s hard to believe someone would fall in love with a Yokai. Much less marry them.” Said Arthur as he put his sword into a sheath.

 

“Especially when the Yokai in question is Yasaka, leader of said Yokai faction. I should have expected the human to be strong, but he’s weak. No history with the supernatural until now.” Said Cao Cao as he walked with Arthur by his side. The two soon reached a building that was surprisingly intact. 

 

“He must have something that makes him special. I refuse to believe they wouldn’t allow this marriage to happen without something in return.” Said Arthur pushed up his glasses as he reached for the door.

 

“There is some speculation that it’s a sacred gear or ancestral background that makes him special. We’re still trying to check for any ancestral connections to Supernatural.” Cao Cao huffed as he was remembering the hassle he went through when looking for the individual’s family background.

 

Cao Cao remembered the first time he heard of the news. It took him a few seconds to control his emotions. Especially when he had one of his plans unexpectedly changed. These plans particularly centered on the Yokai Faction, especially the Western Faction of the group. What many don’t remember was that Yasaka was not only a leader but also a master combatant in both physical and mystic arts. The spies he had placed in Japan reported him finding out that she had a limitless amount of energy flowing through her. Adding the ley lines, he theorized she can go toe to toe with many gods as long as they fought her in Kyoto. But even so, that still doesn’t diminish her dangerous potential as she was still an immortal being who lived through both World Wars. Even without those leylines, Yasaka was experienced. 

 

But, she couldn’t really “leave” Kyoto as the Yokai was still the faction leader. There wasn’t any information regarding her leaving Japan, much less Kyoto in the past century. The rare times she did can only be counted a few because of diplomatic sessions with either the UN or ambassadors from different factions. The wedding only further added to his annoyance as he read a certain little information in the article posted by the UN’s Supernatural Website.

 

[What was going through your mind when you found out that the wedding was going to be in Japan? Did you have any plans outside of the country?]

 

[Well, I originally wanted to bring my fiance to meet my parents back in the United States but we both came to terms that it would have been best if we brought everybody to Japan. Best decision so far.]

  

He hoped that his relations with Vali would allow this new member to spy on Yasaka more efficiently. Especially Yasaka’s recently wedded husband.Cao couldn’t help but sigh in annoyance as he knew he was going to have to “spar” with him in order to cash in a favor.

 

He was starting to regret having to work with a Yokai and half-breed in order to get what he wants. 

 

The things I do for humanity.” He muttered out loud.


????

 

How weird.

 

Every single artifact is now reacting.

 

The sleeping bird is now awake. It cries a beautiful song with multiple mad amber eyes covering its body. Feathers so black that no light could define its features. Only the red amber mixture of color as bright as the night sky. Each eye so wide that they formed a perfect circle, its pupils moving, looking around and never stopping. 

 

The intricate set of guns now sparking in life. It glows a horrifying aura as if a single tap of the trigger will kill anything its way. A hue of red malovant aura emanating from the barrel. Smokey whisps threatening to shoot anything standing its way. 

 

The cute lazy cat, now alert and sitting at attention. Its eyes were staring in a direction and never moving away from it. Its eyes were reminiscent of a predator and some tinge of love. It meows silently, hissing whenever it notices any researchers walking by or glance at it. 

 

A group of weapons floating for the first time, circling in orbit like the planets and moons as it danced in a pattern only known to celestial bodies.

 

A never-ending array of gears inside a pocket watch moving. If one looked inside the glass window, they could see an infinite amount of gears rotating. 

 

One giant coffin with a luxurious design. Beginning to shake and move as it opened slightly to reveal a vast amount of butterflies, all of them from an unknown species never before seen until now. 

 

More and more artifacts were reacting. Dangerous artifacts with untold power were churning and wheezing to life. As if they barely woke up to find themselves thirsty. Each artifact ready to create an unforetold apocalypse and yet, they were kept in check. The safe and general ones all brimming with energy, each becoming more efficient through each use. It was safe to say that every single one of these artifacts was a miracle by itself and a miracle made in physical forms.

 

It was alarming. What could have caused such a reaction? I have collected these things since his death. Studied them for the past 3 centuries and yet I could barely get any outside stimulus from most of them. The beneficial ones were rarely ever of use. And when they did, it was simply breathtaking. 

 

Limbs grow back from the ones who lost them in the first place. A radioactive wasteland cleansed into a land with fertile soil. Incurable diseases cured by a simple application. Hell, I almost created life itself, almost. It was simply missing something. Something that I wasn’t able to figure out, but he did.

 

He made it. The man who created the concept and invention of the now modern gun. A weapon integrated in the existence of this reality. Although, I should have realized it was obvious why there was a divine ritual inside one of his gun artifacts. There’s no such way a weapon like that can exist and yet, here I am staring at my scientists yelling and running around trying to contain the weapon from firing. 

 

Aurelias, The Tomorrow Mage. The Man of Stars. The Man with the Infinity Gun.

 

He was truly a genius. The number of unknown rituals, spells, and artifacts he made were simply miracles by itself. The time it took for me to figure them out was exhausting to do. Spending countless years and days and in the end, I was thankful for that. It was humbling to know a human could create things on par with Solomon and Merlin.

 

I guess father was right once again. 


????

 

The sounds of laughter coming from a circus tent should be something good. Yet, the screams that came afterward implied that of horror. Sounds of flesh ripping and cries of help loud enough to be heard throughout the carnival.

  

On the outside, the circus appeared like a large average one fair. Big red tents with floating balloons. All around were colorful lights with toys for children.The children themselves ran around the circus with joy in their eyes. Yet, many ignored the horrifying screams, as if it wasn’t there. In fact, some even ran towards the screams. Little boys and girls wearing ragged clothes went inside the enormous tent to see what was the commotion.

 

Only to be stopped by a very tall individual. Looking up they saw a clown giving them the kindest smile. He was very muscular and giant. His features are cartoonish as they reminded him of a muscular man in cartoon shows. Wearing white makeup with a bright red clown nose. It would have looked ridiculous if it weren’t for his very handsome face and long red straight hair that contradicts his overall clown costume.

 

“Wohohoho! I’m sorry little ones, but you can’t come here. This is an adult place.” He chuckled, giving them a kind fatherly smile. 

 

The children all looked down with sadness. It was obvious to any outsiders that their ragged clothing and appearance told a story of hardships and horror. Each one was different yet, similar in theme. Even then, the group looked like they were having the best times of their lives.

 

““Awwww.”” The kids groaned, some pouting while others looked dejected.

 

“Ho Ho! Don’t worry my lovely children. In fact, look here.” The giant clown took out a set of cards, each engraved with black and gold intricate designs.

 

“Take one, and you will all have unlimited rides and games for the rest of the day. It will also allow you to skip the long lines. Isn’t that great!” He smiled.

 

The kids brightened at the moment, forgetting about why their curiosity of the screams inside the giant tent. Even when it was bribery, they didn’t question it as the carnival was simply an enormous and amazing place.

 

They each grabbed one and left. The last child who stayed behind a little girl with blond hair. She smiled back at the handsome clown and gave him a hug.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Clown.”

 

Said clown simply chuckled.

 

“No worries, little one. Now go have fun.”

 

The little girl ran to catch up with the kids. A few minutes later there was another blood-curdling scream. The clown dropped his smile and turned around to take a small peek inside the tent he was standing guard off.

 

Inside the tent was as if a horror survival game came to life. He could see an enormous stage with rows and rows of crowds, all cheering at the bloodbath at the center. In the center stage was a group of human males shooting guns at animal-like creatures with a circus theme coming towards them. It didn’t affect the animals much even when a few had been shot straight through the eye. One of the animals, a monkey dressed in a flesh like suit wearing a top hat. Swung its arms at the face of one gunman. Blood sprayed the area as the slow swing destroyed the human’s head because of the amount of force behind that swing.

 

The rest of the animals attacked the other gunmen. All dying gruesome deaths, some slower than others.

 

The clown smiled at such a sight. Originally, many normal people would be horrified to see this type of cruelty. But if others knew of their sins then they would cheer with glee alongside the crowd. Even he gagged at the sight of the rows and rows of harvested children's organs. Thankfully, the current ringmaster has ordered people like these to be used in their cage fights. 

 

“I wonder what she would say if she was still here?” He thought out loud. 

 

2