The Don
136 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6pm on a beautiful and sunny September day. The intensity of the sun had died down a bit, but the golden light still lit up the streets of the bustling marketplace of a small town. On each side of the street, there were stores stacked side by side with a long sidewalk in front of each row of stores.

On the right side of the street walked a man. He had a short beard with slicked-back hair and a scar on his left eye. He wore a casual white button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the top 2 buttons undone along with a pair of black jeans. On his feet, he wore black dress shoes. He was about 5 feet 11 inches tall, had a medium build, and looked like he was in his mid 30's. Roughly 36.

As he walked along the sidewalk, business owners and customers alike would greet him with respect.

The business owners offered free products and services, but he respectfully declined and thanked them for their kindness. All of them replied, "It wouldn't have been possible without you, Mr. Mayr."

-

After about a 10 minute walk, Mayr exits the market zone, and the area becomes less crowded. When Mayr reaches this area, a brand new BMW pulls up next to him. Mayr opens the door and gets into the back seat.

"Good evening, Mr. Mayr." The driver greets.

"Good evening, Bastion." Mayr replies. After the greeting, the car pulls off into the road.

-

After about a 30 minute drive, the car arrives at a secluded landscape. There is nothing that can be seen other than some trees and dust. The only thing that exists here is an abandoned warehouse with stained grey walls and broken windows. The car steps about 40 meters from the warehouse.

Mayr exits the car and tells his driver to wait for him while he takes care of some business in the warehouse. As Mayr enters the warehouse, he sees 3 men, ranging from ages 28 to 39, each strapped to a chair, faces bruised from taking a beating. Around them stood 5 men, all large men, 6 feet 2 inches to 6 feet 5 inches tall, with suits on. The 5 large men saw Mayr and stopped what they were doing. They faced him and gave a slight bow.

"Hello, Mr. Mayr." They greeted formally.

Mayr acknowledged them with a slight nod. He walked up to the detained men and looked at them with a slight squint as if he was examining their bruises.

"You didn't have to beat them this bad." Said Mayr to the 5 men while staring at the bruised faces of the detained men.

"Mr. Juts told us to make them regret what they did," One of them replied, "and when he says that, he usually means to give them a bad beating."

"I understand." Mayr replied. He went on to take a seat in front of the three men. He was about 2 arm lengths away from these men. The oldest of the 3 had a shocked and frightened look on his face. This look came on his face as soon as the 5 men greeted Mayr. The younger 2 put on tough expressions to show that they were not afraid in the least.

"Are you their boss!?" The youngest of the three men asked aggressively. As he said this, a look of rage came on the faces of the 5 men who had detained them.

"Watch your mouth!" one of them yelled as he approached the man to punch him.

Mayr put his hand up and signalled the man to stop. Seeing the signal, he immediately apologized and backed off.

"These men are my subordinates, put under the care of my friend Juts," Mayr began to speak to start a conversation, "Luckily for you, Juts is not here, he's not as mild-mannered as I am. Currently, he's taking care of some other business for me."

"Do you know who we are!?" The second youngest of the three detained men growled.

"Shut up! Both of you!" the oldest of the three detained men yelled out, "Mr. Mayr. I had no idea this was your territory." he explained in a frightened voice.

"Why're you apologizing to this nobody!?" one of the younger detained men retorted, "We're from the East Side Mafia! We're subordinates of "psycho" Sammy Buttons, one of the top executives of the organization and close friend of the boss Anthony Mozzo! I'm sure you know about him! He's as ruthless as they come! And you've already signed your death certificate by fucking with us!" Mayr just stared coldly at the man as he went on his verbal tirade.

"I told you to shut up!" The older detained man interjected.

One of the five men walked towards Mayr with a phone, "I have him on the phone, Mr. Mayr." Mayr grabbed the phone and put it on speaker.

"You there, Anthony?" Mayr asked into the phone while staring coldly at the two detained men who were mouthing off to him.

"Don Mayr?" The voice on the other side of the phone replied anxiously.

A look of complete shock and horror filled the eyes of the two men who were mouthing off.

"Is that the boss?" They thought to themselves.

"You know that doing business in my town without my permission is strictly prohibited right? Especially drugs." Mayr talked into the phone, gaze still fixated on the detained men.

"Yes Sir, I know." The voice on the phone replied in a nervous and anxious tone, "I can't believe I let this happen even after you let me continue operations here in the East. We've already gotten rid of the idiot Sammy for not being able to control his lackeys. If you want, you can kill them as well. I'll even double our tribute to you for a whole year as a token of my sincere apology."

The look of horror on the faces of the men became worse and worse. The bravado that they had shown had dissipated and replaced with immense fear. They began to shake and their teeth began to clamp.

"No need for that." Mayr responded into the phone, "I'll decide when to collect. At some point, I might send someone to collect. They're gonna say 'sent by Don Mayr'. If they say that, you're gonna have to do whatever they say. I'm not unreasonable, so if I ask you for something, it's because I'm sure you can do it. Understand?"

"Yes, Sir. I understand." The voice replied and Mayr hung up.

"That's why I told you loudmouths to shut up!" The older detained man yelled at the younger men who were terrified at this point, "This isn't 'nobody'! This is Don Ento Mayr, The most powerful gangster in the country! He has control over all rackets in the country, except for human trafficking and drugs. He absolutely despises these two things, and we idiots found this place to sell drugs!"

"You know a bit about me," Mayr added in a monotone voice, "looks like you're no lackey yourself."

"I'm Sammy's right-hand man, sir." The older man responded, beginning to cry, "I've heard how much you despise drugs. We were just trying to make some extra cash and found out that there are no sellers in this area. In our simple minds, we thought it would be an easy place to make money without doing any further research."

"Free them." Mayr instructed the 5 men. The men were freed and Mayr instructed them to stand up. He looked straight into their eyes with an intense and enraged look, "You get 1 pass. If you ever bring anything to this town that can harm my people ever again, I'll make sure your bones are ground while you're alive. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir!" The three men exclaimed while bowing.

"I want you out of the town by sunrise. Start moving." Mayr instructed.

The men ran out and Ento instructed the 5 men to clean up the scene. "Is it ok to just let them go, sir?" One of the 5 large men questioned.

"They just heard their boss telling us to kill them, and we showed them mercy," Mayr replied, "Now we have 3 people who are loyal to us in the east."

"I never thought of that," The man replied, "I apologize for questioning your decisions.", he added while bowing. Mayr told him not to worry about it and re-instructed them to clean the place up. After doing so, he made his way back to the car.

-

After Mayr got into the car, his driver drove him to the town cemetery. On the way, Mayr picked up a daisy from a local florist shop.

The cemetery was surrounded by a fence and had a gate as its entry point. Across the street, there was a temple. Mayr's car pulled up to the side of the street, in front of the entrance to the cemetery.

Once he got to the cemetery, he walked up to a gravestone with the name 'Giulia Mayr'. He placed the daisy in front of the gravestone and sat down.

"I have everything I could have ever wanted, mother" Mayr spoke gently and full of emotion, "I have money, loyalty, my people's love...Everything, but nothing is as pure as the way you loved me. I wish I could share all I had with you and experience pure love just one more time, but it seems that I'll have to wait until the afterlife for that joy. Happy Birthday, Mother."

Mayr then said a small prayer and stood up. He walked towards his car and got into the back seat.

As he got into the car and the driver was about to take off, he saw that a large truck was coming towards his car at an immense speed. Mayr's eyes widened as he saw it coming towards him. The driver quickly got out of the car and opened Mayr's door. Mayr understood that the driver would not be able to get away, so, Instead of jumping out and saving himself, he pushed his driver out with as much force as he could generate. The driver flew across the street and the truck collided with the car with Mayr in it.

The driver quickly got up and saw that Mayr was severely injured and unconscious. He hastily called an ambulance. Mayr was in critical condition. He was rushed to the hospital and placed in intensive care.

3