What It Takes to Live On.
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mayr became extremely concerned. This was because he knew exactly what these words meant. These words meant that Kris's hatred for this man had overtaken any other emotions he possessed. He was ready to forsake everything he has in this world, just to end this man with his own hands. Mayr knew this because he, himself,  had felt like this before.

"Kris!" Mayr called out, but Kris didn't move his gaze from the TV. "Kris! Listen to me!" Mayr repeated. This snapped Kris out of the trance he seemed to be in. The emotions slowly started to sync in and a look of pure rage appeared on Kris's face and his eyes began to tear up.

"Kris!" Mayr exclaimed as he put both his hands on Kris's shoulders and faced him towards himself. Kris turned his body towards Mayr but angrily stared at the floor, breathing heavily and his body shaking.

"Jun, go back to your post." Said Mayr. Mayr grabbed Kris and went over to a secluded park about a block from the arcade and Nesh followed them. Mayr did not want anyone to hear Kris making threats. It was a children's park, with swings and slides in the centre of the park and benches on the outskirts.

"Look at me, Kris!" Mayr exclaimed once again. "Please, Soju, don't try to talk me out of this!" Kris said with his voice cracking with anger. "Kris, look at me" Mayr insisted.

Kris slowly began to lift his eyes towards Mayr. "Soju, I respect you a lot," said Kris, "but I don't think I can live peacefully as long as that piece of shit is alive! All the hatred built over the years, I can't control it anymore. Please don't tell me to let this go! I beg you!"

"Alright," Mayr said gently. Kris was taken aback by this answer. He was expecting more resistance to his request. He looked at Mayr with slight confusion. "Believe it or not," Mayr began to speak, "I know what you're feeling right now. I completely understand wanting to end him with your own hands, but, there are downsides that you need to be aware of."

"I understand that I might I'll end up as a criminal," said Kris, "and that I'll have law enforcement after me to put me behind bars for good. But that's something I'm will-"

"That's not what I mean," Mayr interjected. Kris grew more confused. He began to wonder what Mayr considered 'downsides'. "You need to know that killing him won't bring you peace." said Mayr, "If you're going after him to put your own mind at ease, then you might as well not do it at all. Once the deed is done, more than anything, you'll feel anguish. Anguish because you did what you needed, but still feel incomplete. Anguish because of the loss of your innocence. If you fall into that trap, your own thoughts will eat you alive."

Kris fell to his knees and began to cry. "I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want revenge." said Kris, "He killed the only parent I had left! But not only that, I also want to make sure that this scumbag doesn't ruin anyone else's life. I know I'm being selfish, but will you help me, Soju?"

When Mayr heard this, he gave Kris a smile of approval. "I accept your request," Mayr said as he helped Kris onto his feet, "but this needs to be calculated and not emotional. So here are the rules. We will not make any moves while he's in police custody. You need to promise me that if the justice system does its job and convicts this guy for life, then you'll give up wanting to kill him. But if he comes out, then the plan will commence. For now, let's just give your mother a proper burial. That piece of shit deserves no space in your mind."

Kris began wiping his tears and regaining his composure. "Soju," Kris said, "I don't think I'll be able to give up on this, even if he gets convicted. I don't want to let him off easy."

"So what are you gonna do? Run into a precinct and get shot down before you even see him?" Mayr questioned sternly. "Do you think doing life in prison is being "let off easy"? There is nothing you could do to that man that would make him suffer more than rotting in a tiny cell, constantly getting abused by guards and other prisoners every day for the rest of his life!"

The conversation paused for a moment as Kris was left speechless. After a few seconds, Mayr let out a deep sigh. "Listen, Kris," Mayr continued, "As you're boss, I don't want to lose a valuable member of my crew, and as your friend, I don't want to lose you. So please, follow my orders."

Kris stared at the floor for a few seconds, after which he looked up and replied, "Understood."

Mayr smiled and gave Kris a hug. After Mayr separated, he looked at Kris and said "I want you to spend the next few days with me at my place. The worst place to be at a time like this is alone with your thoughts."

"Are you sure?" Kris replied, "I don't want to be a nuisance". "You never could be." Mayr replied, "Anyways, we have a bunch of new members joining tomorrow. You're one of my top captains, so I need you to be alert. Focus on what we have built and forget about Robbie. I know it's too much to ask so soon, but if anyone can punch life back in the face, it's my men."

What happened next left Nesh shocked as he watched this interaction. Roughly about an hour after learning about his mother's death, a genuine smile appeared on Kris's face. Perhaps it was the realization that he was not alone in this world. He had trustworthy friends who would stick by him no matter what.

"Understood, boss!" Said Kris with a bright look on his face. "Come on," Mayr said while ushering Kris forward, "let's show you your new home."

-

Thursday passed and it was now Friday, the day that the new recruits would be inducted into the crew. The clock hit 6pm and Mayr made his way to the soccer field with Nesh beside him.

The new recruits crowded the soccer field. As Mayr walked through the field, he heard the buzzing of individual conversations all around him.

Mayr walked to his usual spot, at the top bleacher, and looked at all the new recruits. Everyone went completely silent and looked towards Mayr.

"Today, you all become members of The Crew." Mayr announced. "In this crew, we have two rules, No intimidating or extorting anyone not involved with us, and no sale of illegal substances. If any of these rules are broken, there will be consequences,  However, since you are now my men, I will not allow anyone else to fuck with you without consequences. Above all else, we're a family, so look out for your fellow members. Captains, make this week's payments, divide the members, and assign them to their new roles as discussed. That is all."

After taking payments, Mayr began to walk away from the field with Nesh, leaving the captains to do their job.

As soon as Mayr exited the school premises, he saw a boy a bit older than Soju, staring right at him with a grin on his face. The boy was about 5 foot 8 with slick back hair and a dress shirt with dress pants on. He had dark eyes and tanned skin, and behind him stood 2 men of roughly the same age, but quite larger in terms of both height and width.

"So, you're the famous "rising don of the east", huh?" the boy said while approaching Mayr with a grin on his face. Mayr was confused when he heard this. He had never heard anyone refer to him as the "rising don of the east", but the boy was clearly speaking to Mayr. So, Mayr decided to play along.

"And who might you be?" Mayr asked.

"The name's Farugio Mozzo." The boy replied.

0