Think about it
27 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the late afternoon, early evening, Monica was returning to her home by the same route that had brought her to the woman's inn. But without nothing in her hands. Her function of stocking up on wood for the cold was completely forgotten.

The nun now found herself confused about the whole unexpected situation, in which her thoughts would not leave her alone for a minute.

At the end of the path it was already possible to see the citadel before her eyes, where a stone road began and continued straight to the home for nuns.

Monica walked absorbed by the small fountain, by the bread and food market that was beginning to be stocked, and also by the few beggars who hid in the alleys of the alley. Who she always helped. But in her way came another running nun, holding her mantle, with a burning lamp in her hand.

In a bit of a shock, Monica woke up from her trance, looking up at the sky and finally noticing all the time she had spent outside. She had forgotten her function and the rest of the world.

- Mrs. Elbour! - The older nun ran up to her and held her shoulders, letting the lamp fall. He looked her in the eye and checked her up and down, confirming that everything was fine. - TOLA, where were you until now? - Monica couldn't answer, as she was ashamed.

- Don't you know how much we looked for you around the neighborhood? We've already told you not to go so far away when you do chores on the outside. BY GOD. -

Judith, a head nun who also used to teach at the city monastery and was in her mid-forties, was now looking with relief at Monica, who was painfully holding her gaze at the stones on the ground.

- Wherever you come from? It doesn't cross my mind that a young girl like you isn't afraid of the dangers of the night... And listen to me! Look into my eyes. - She lifted her head and listened.

- These roads bring travelers from the east and the north. They carry with them a danger from the unknown, for they are a people who do not come from our land. So try follow the rules! You know as well as anyone that the house rules are there to protect you. You don't belong near the woods. -

Balancing her head and a little calmer, the nun continued: "Our ancestors gave their blood in exchange for the life we have, eliminating demons of the night by the grace of heaven. -

- These monsters ceased to exist, so that we might have a chance to contemplate life day after day. But not even that takes away your bravery as a rebellious woman! You always walk beyond the established limit. - The larger nun now had a look of pity on her face, perhaps because she understood that Monica had not done it out of spite. It was remarkable that the only offenses she committed were in regard to forgetting the time. For the other duties were performed with valor and whimsy.

Judith, at that moment, took her hands off her and thought of a punishment. But first, the smaller nun began to speak in entreaty:

- Mother, please forgive me for today. I feel inconsolable for what happened, because it was not my intention to make you worry about my disappearing. - And in spite of everything, I still came back without accomplishing my objective. I came back without the winter supplies that we are all collecting. Forgive me for my foolish head. Punish me as you see fit, for your intelligence. - With head down, she waited for an answer from the older woman.

Thinking a little more, after this supplication, Judith did not want to give her a severe punishment.

Maybe the remorse for her guilt was enough until that moment, because she seemed really sorry. Monica, was raised as an orphan in the Henbeg Monastery , a kind-hearted girl.

- Get up tomorrow, before the rooster crows, and gather around the region the twigs you should have put away today. You will pray after that 50 Our Fathers on your knees, and your arrival time is obligatory when the sun sets on the mountain. You will also dedicate yourself for days to charity and vigil, twice as much as other sisters.

- For the rest, go about your normal routine, because there is no need to take this case to the council. I will not say anything, and I will omit your absence, as long as you do not repeat it again. -

Monica knows she was not a child, and she understood every word the mother said. Luckily, Judith Monise de Scot, that serious and merciful nun, was the one who taught and led her generation of nuns in those years. For if it were not for her, her punishment would have been much less lenient.

Sorrowful and sincere, Monica took Judith's hand and thanked her. -I will not be late like this again, and my work will be doubled during these days. May God bless you for your mercy.

Judith graciously accepted the apology, and they both went off to the monastery.

_______

After minutes of explaining to her colleagues in an omitted way why she had been late, Monica was scolded a few more times by the younger nuns of the monastery, for she had even missed dinner. But she was thankful that the Mother Superior was not peeking into the place at that moment.

Apologizing once again, she soon went upstairs to the small room she did not share with another sister.

The age of 20-something had its benefits, after all, and being a higher-ranking nun. Being a senior nun, she was already considered an adult to have her own prayer room.

After a fast shower she prayed a few times and went to bed, however wide awake.

Laying her head on the pillow with so much euphoria in her body only means one thing: sleep would not be an easy task. In her memory all the events that had occurred came back to her. Like that weird conversation she had with the woman, the deplorable state she was in, the secrets she seemed to be hiding... And even the scared eyes came back, stirring Monica's heart in anguish.

She grabbed the rosary in her nightgown, and prayed once again.

Then turned to the other side, immediately recalling what happened before she left, where she made a fire with some stones, and cooked the rest of the pig carcass for the woman. In the midst of the pain she ate all the meat eagerly, until only the bone was left. "I guess she had gone all these days without eating, I have the impression that even the baby was grateful for her meat," she thought.

After a while in silence, both exchanged half words, and much calmer, the woman slowly lost her senses and lay back on the bed. The sleep came to her, finally giving her some rest. Being assured that she was asleep, Monica relievedly got up and left the furnace on, so that the old inn would have some built-in heat. She adjusted the blonde on the bed, looked once more at her belly with attention, and eventually took her way back, already thinking of everything she would do in the following days.

Well, it would be a big lie not to say that she was still thinking about the same thing now.

Rolling from side to side, she thought about everything once more, and then again. Monica made some plans in her head so that everything would go as smooth as possible. Until in the middle of the dawn, after a light curious murmuring, sleep took her away.

"-I didn't ask her name. -"

___

 

4