Chapter Eleven – A Very Magical Birthday
1.1k 18 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi all. I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far, although based on the rating, it doesn't look like it. If you enjoy the story, I would really appreciate it if you rated it :) a couple of people have rated it one star, which as an author sucks to see. Considering the subject matter, I can only assume that it is either transphobes, or somehow they didn't like something about the story besides that. How terribly sad for them. Anyone who isn't like that, I hope you enjoy the latest chapter.

 

Over the following weeks, Hailey settled into her new life living with the Tonks. She spent the majority of her time either reading her new books or trying out new and different clothes with Dora. They went to Diagon Alley twice more, both times she got even more clothes and books, and in the final time they picked up her wand. It was absolutely beautiful and, according to Mr. Ollivander, he had never seen such a close match before. The main body was mahogany with rosewood entwined around it like vines. She was surprised that it fit her hand comfortably, her fingers sitting in between the spaces giving her a good grip. 

Hailey even got to ride on the underground railway to her vault to collect some more gold coins, of which she had a crazy amount. Apparently it was enough that she could live comfortably without working for the rest of her life, as long as she was careful with spending it. After collecting her new wand, Andi, Dora and Hailey went and got makeovers, Hailey had never felt so pampered before in her life, nor as beautiful afterwards. They combed and washed her hair with magical potions until it fell in ringlets around her shoulders, and applied makeup on her that made her feel as beautiful as she looked. 

The Tonks family took Hailey out to dinner to celebrate her getting her wand, and once the restaurant had been told it was a special day for Hailey, they made it extra special by going out of their way to treat her almost like royalty. Even to this day, she couldn’t think of that memory without blushing furiously, but with a big smile on her face. 

Hailey eventually remembered to call Hermione to let her know that she was safe and to thank her parents for looking out for her. After several days of calling each other daily, she had invited Hermione over for her birthday party that the Tonkses were throwing her. 

“You’ll wear a hole in the floor if you keep that up,” Dora absentmindedly remarked. She was standing nearby, amusing herself by shifting her face to show various animal features. 

Blushing at her adopted sister's amused remark, Hailey stopped pacing nervously. She hadn’t even realised she had been doing it. With a sigh, she leaned against the hallway wall. Hermione was due to arrive any minute, and she couldn’t seem to relax, so she thought she’d come and hang out near the door for when her friend eventually arrived. 

A minute or two later, the doorbell ringing startled Hailey so much she nearly dropped the wand she’d once again been admiring. The wand shot off a colourful, rainbow like effect before she quickly shoved it into her pocket. With Hailey’s face ablaze from her embarrassment as Dora cackled at her, she opened the door. Immediately, her eyes zeroed in on Hermione standing there, looking almost as nervous as she herself was. 

Hermione hadn’t changed at all in the time that they’d been apart. Her hair was still brown and very bushy, and her front teeth slightly too large, but Hailey thought she was terribly cute. Her brown eyes held a glimmer of nervous excitement as they stared at her. 

“Oh, wow! Hailey, you look so nice!” Hermione gushed, looking her up and down in amazement. 

Hailey squealed with joy and wrapped her arms around the taller girl, hugging her tight. “Oof! I’m pleased to see you too, happy birthday, by the way. You really look nice.”

Hailey could see Hermione’s ears turn pink as she held her. “Aww, thanks!” She pulled back to look Hermione in the face better. “It’s a new dress I bought and I put these special potions in my hair.”

Awkwardly, Hermione ran her fingers through Hailey’s ringlets gently. “They really suit you.”

Hearing chuckling coming from behind Hermione, Hailey glanced over Hermione’s shoulder as she blushed at her friend's compliment. “Nice to see you again, Hailey. That’s a lovely name, by the way,” Amelia Granger greeted her. 

Suddenly shy, Hailey looked down at her feet. “Thanks,” she mumbled softly. 

“Hi! I’m Dora, nice to meet you both. Hailey might’ve forgotten, but I won’t. Please, come in and make yourselves comfortable.”

Amelia smiled warmly at the two girls as Hailey shot Dora a pout. “Thank you, I’d like to meet… Andromeda, was it? before I have to go. Is she here?”

Dora gestured for the Granger ladies to come in then closed the door behind them. Hailey shivered as the cold breeze coming through the open doorway she hadn’t even noticed until now abruptly stopped. 

Andi suddenly strolled into the hallway from the kitchen, looking curiously at the two guests, before holding her hand out to Amelia Granger to shake. “Hi, welcome to our home, Mrs. Granger.”

“Thanks for having us.” She gestured to Hermione. “And for letting Hailey invite Hermione over for her birthday. I know she’s been excited - - practically wore out holes in our floor from impatience.” Amelia laughed good humouredly, her eyes twinkling as her daughter blushed in embarrassment. 

Giggling, Dora looked at Hailey with a smirk. “So was this one, while waiting for you two to arrive.”

Hailey’s blush deepened as she glared daggers at Dora for betraying her like that. Her now mortal enemy just laughed at Hailey’s expression. 

Poking her tongue out at Dora, Hailey grabbed Hermione’s hand. “Come on! I’ve got some books I want to show you.”

Hermione was looking around in curiosity as she let herself be dragged into Hailey’s room. Trying not to think too much about how soft and nice Hermione’s hand felt in hers, Hailey sat on her bed, patting the spot beside her. Pulling out one of her newly purchased books, The Magic of Magic by Ezra Borks, Hailey excitedly showed her new friend. 

Hermione placed a small bag on the floor near the bed before sitting next to Hailey. Hailey recognised it as a gym bag, her Uncle Vernon used to complain about people going to gyms, “If they had a hard working and honest job, they wouldn’t need to go to a gym, the filthy layabouts.” 

Hailey had had trouble not pointing out the fact that a gym would do wonders for her uncle and cousin. 

They sat there for a good hour reading through the chapters on what the author thought about magic and the different types. Hermione was so involved in the book that she barely acknowledged her mother leaving. A quick, impatient “bye” was all she offered. 

“Oh, I forgot to say this before, but your ears look so cute,” Hermione said, hesitantly brushing a hand over the tip of one of Hailey’s newly pointed ears. 

Hailey shivered and blushed from the unexpected but not entirely unwelcome touch. “I hadn’t really expected them, to be honest, although I guess I should have, huh?” 

Hermione shrugged before replying, “Not necessarily. When you called to tell me last week, I’ve been trying to do as much research on the fae as I can. Unfortunately, there seems to be so little known, and half of what is known is contradictory.” Hermione grabbed Hailey’s hand that wasn’t holding the book in between them. “I’m sorry, Hailey, it was frustrating and I can share what I had found out, if you’d like, but I wouldn’t trust the data, and neither should you.”

Tapping her chin thoughtfully, Hailey nodded. “We can start with what I have found out about myself so far. That way we know what’s true, and what’s not. At least for my experience.”

“That’s true. So, you have cute elf-like ears and you said that if you aren’t careful you drain magic from people and magical objects.”

Hailey suddenly felt her cheeks warm as she blushed at her ears being called cute, looking down at the book in her lap. “That’s about it… although, there is also my thing with names and how I was suddenly speaking a language I had never even heard of before.”

Hermione’s cheeks were a little pink too as she nodded, scrutinising her a little more than Hailey was usually comfortable with. 

“You also seem a little paler than when we first met, and I can see some more of your veins too.” Hermione glanced away as she cleared her throat. “You have freckles that weren’t noticeable either. Also, you seem a lot more feminine than before as well, and I don’t think it’s just your longer hair and clothes. Overall, you look really nice.”

Hailey’s insides squirmed as Hermione spoke. She hadn’t really noticed any of that, although she did recall that one or more of the Tonks had mentioned it. 

Andi’s voice suddenly magically sounded in Hailey’s bedroom. “Hailey! Ginny’s arrived.”

Too excited to even question how Andi projected her voice like that, and why she’d normally send Dora when she could do that at any time, Hailey squealed and jumped up from the bed. There was a thump as the book she’d been holding hit the floor as Hailey grabbed Hermione’s hand and began tugging her out of the room. 

“Ginny is the girl you met before, right? The one from a magical family?”

Hailey nodded as she dragged Hermione down the hallway, excited to have her two best friends finally meet. She hoped that they liked each other as much as she liked them. Her and Ginny had been owling each other every couple of days since Dora had bought Olette for Hailey. It warmed her insides that Dora would do that, she still wasn’t used to people caring about her, or giving her presents. 

Walking into the lounge room, Hailey saw Ginny, Molly and Ron Weasley standing there, wiping ash off of themselves. Ron had a small well used bag slung over one shoulder. 

“--I’ve been so busy with setting everything up, I completely forgot to clean the fireplace first,” Andi said apologetically. With a quick flick of her wand, the ash that had fallen on the ground vanished. Hailey smiled as she saw Hermione’s eyes widen at the casual use of magic. Sure, she would’ve seen magic at Diagon Alley, but it was somehow different in the privacy of someone’s home, and used so casually. 

The corners of Molly Weasley's eyes crinkled slightly as she smiled warmly at Andi, turning her smile on Hailey and Hermione as they came into the room. “It’s quite alright, dear. No harm done!” With a flick of her own wand, the last of the ash that was on the Weasleys vanished as well. Hailey wondered why Andi hadn’t done the same. She assumed it might be due to manners, like how Andi never casted a spell on her without asking permission first. 

Ginny had a nervous smile on her face as she stepped closer to her. Hailey let go of Hermione’s hand and hugged Ginny with a happy smile on her face. Breaking the hug, Hailey took a step back and grabbed the hand of each of her friends. “Hermione Jean Granger, Ginevra Molly Weasley, I would like you to meet each other. I hope you become good friends like I am to you both!”

Both Hermione and Ginny looked at her, before glancing at each other. Hermione was the first to offer a small smile and wave, with Ginny nervously copying her a moment later. 

“Happy birthday, Hailey! Uh, this is Ron, by the way, my brother,” Ginny said as she flapped her free hand towards Ron. 

“Thanks, Ginny.” Hailey waved at Ginny’s brother. “Hey, Ron. Thanks for coming to my birthday party!” She frowned as she looked around. “Where are the twins?”

Before Ron could respond, Molly, who had been chatting with Andi, looked over at Hailey. “Hello, Hailey, dear. Happy birthday! I’m afraid that Fred and George aren’t coming. They’re grounded.”

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Hailey tried to school her face and not snicker at the twins getting into trouble. Still, she was a little disappointed that they couldn’t come to the first birthday party she’d ever had, Hailey thought that they’d be great fun to hang out with. 

Ron had moved up to stand closer to the girls holding hands. “Yeah. Blimey, it was hilarious, they gave Percy a new hat to wear for his work experience at the ministry, and when he put it on, it grabbed him, grew wings and tried to fly off with him! It was bloody brilliant, I tell you.” Ron was wiping tears out of his eyes as he laughed. Ginny was snickering too as Hailey laughed alongside them. 

Molly cuffed the back of Ron’s head. “Don’t swear in front of your sister.”

Hermione frowned. “That sounds dangerous. What if he’d gotten hurt?”

Waving his hands dismissively and rubbing the back of his head, Ron answered while still chuckling. “Ah, he was fine. They’d misjudged how big the wings needed to be, it barely lifted him a foot off the ground before it ran out of magic. I can still hear Percy’s squeals now.” Ron had a slightly dreamy look on his face as he said that. Hailey had to assume that Percy might not have always been well liked in the Weasley household. Given his name, she wasn’t entirely surprised. 

“Yes, well, the less that’s said about those two and their antics, the better,” Molly said, shaking her head and sighing. 

“Whose antics?” Dora asked as she came into the room. “Nice to see you again, Mrs. Weasley, Ron, Ginny. I’m assuming it’s something to do with the twins, since they aren’t here. Let me guess… it was the flying hat trap?”

Ron gawked at her. “How did you…?”

Rolling her eyes at Ron, Dora snorted. “Did you forget that I taught those two everything they know?” 

“Oh, yeah…” 

“I bet it was George who came up with that idea,” Hailey said, glancing at Dora for confirmation and smiling when she nodded. “It’s all in his name,” she answered the question she could see in everyone’s eyes. 

“Merlin’s beard, that’s really weird that you can do that,” Ron exclaimed. 

Hailey just shrugged. It wasn’t like she could turn it off. It seemed like it was part of her being Fae. She rather liked that she could usually tell if someone was trustworthy or not just from their name. 

The group fell silent as Andi joined them. “Ready to have your birthday dinner, Hailey? It’s a little early, I know, but it gives us more time for our food to settle before dessert.” 

Nodding excitedly, Hailey dragged Ginny and Hermione into the dining room. Gasping, she pulled up short as she saw that the room had been totally transformed. Candles floated in groups around the room, with colourful rainbow effects arcing between them and they all had the words Happy Birthday Hailey! displayed in bold colourful letters. 

The table groaned under the weight of the magically preserved food. It had somehow gotten big enough to sit everyone comfortably, although Hailey noticed that the room hadn’t actually changed sizes. Thankfully there was still space to walk around, if only just. As she watched, Hailey noticed small unicorns that were made out of colourful paper-mâché, running up and down the rainbows, leaving trails of sparkling golden stars behind them. 

Hermione had gasped in wonder as she took in the room and all of its magical effects on full display, her eyes blinking rapidly. “That’s a lot of magic. How do you think they do it, do you wonder?”

Hailey smiled, squeezing her friend's hand. “Probably an enchantment, an illusion charm, right? With maybe a single rune to store the enchantment until it’s used.”

A hand landing on her shoulder, and squeezing gently made Hailey look around at Andi. “You’re right, well done! Don’t forget the hover charm though,” Andi said, with a proud smile. Hailey felt strangely warm at her praise. 

“Well, I’m going to leave you to your party, Arthur will be back home from work soon. Normally he’s earlier than this, but he’s been swamped at work this week. Happy birthday again, Hailey, I hope you enjoy your night.” She looked at Ron. “You have some Floo powder for you and your sister, right?”

Ron nodded, pulling a pouch out from his pocket and showing his mum. “Yep. Right here.”

“Good, don’t lose it.”

Hailey smiled at Molly. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”

Molly smiled back. “You’re welcome, dear. Behave, you two,” she gave Ron and Ginny a stern glance as her children looked sheepish. They all said their goodbyes, before Molly turned and walked to the front door, Andi trailing after her. 

“So… Do you like how we set up the room, Hailey? I know it looked like a unicorn threw up everywhere, but I thought you’d like it,” Dora suddenly spoke up, a hint of worry in her eyes. 

Hailey moved up to the girl she was already mentally calling her big sister, and hugged her. “I love it, thank you!” 

Grinning, Dora patted her back. “I’m glad. Just wait until you get your presents.”

Before she could reply, Hermione winced, rubbing her forehead, swaying a little bit. 

“Are you okay, Hermione?” Hailey asked worriedly 

Hermione nodded, but had her eyes closed grimacing. “Yeah…”

Frowning, Hailey shook her head and gently placed her hands on Hermione’s shoulders. “No, you’re not, there’s something wrong.” 

Looking like she was almost in tears, Hermione stepped closer to Hailey and spoke in a barely audible whisper, “All of these bright colours and movements are starting to make me feel a bit sick. I’ll be okay, though.”

Turning quickly, Hailey jumped up and caught the first group of candles, immediately, she felt the warm, tingling feeling of her draining the magic and the rainbow effect vanished, causing the paper-mâché unicorns to drop to the floor. Rushing to the second one, Hailey repeated her action, gently placing the candles down since they no longer floated. 

With only two groups of candles left, the dazzling light show had dimmed and only displayed on the far wall. 

“You know, you could’ve just asked what the deactivation spell was,” Dora said wryly, leaning against the doorframe. Ron and Ginny were standing there with amazed looks on their faces. 

Wincing, Hailey pouted at Dora. “I’m sorry, were they expensive? I’ll pay to replace them!”

Chuckling, Dora stepped up to Hailey and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Nuh, you’re fine. I was just teasing, I’m pretty sure these didn’t have that capability. They weren’t very expensive.” She wiggled her eyes. “I hope they tasted nice though.”

Hailey giggled and tried to tickle Dora, who stumbled and tripped over as she tried to move away, with Hailey falling on top of her with a startled yelp. “Quit it, brat!” She laughed, trying to push Hailey off of her, as Hailey tried to tickle her as Dora flopped around. 

“That was mean! I’ll get you back for that,” Hailey threatened, laughing as she hopped up, breathing hard. She could hear Ron and Ginny laughing at their antics in the background. 

Dora stuck her tongue out at Hailey from where she sat on the ground. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Hailey shrugged, she used to prank Dudley all the time, and she was rarely ever caught. Now that she had actual magic at her fingertips, she was sure she could come up with some fun pranks. 

Suddenly, Hailey was surrounded with warmth as a very bushy, and blushy girl hugged her tightly. “Thank you,” Hermione whispered in her ear, gratitude clear in her voice. 

Gripping Hermione’s arm, Hailey squeezed it gently. “You’re welcome. That’s what friends are for, after all, right?”

Nodding sheepishly, Hermione let go and stepped back. Already, Hailey missed the hug. Having missed out on hugs for most of her life, she found that hugs were her favourite interaction with a friend. 

“What happened to the decorations?” Andi asked as she stepped into the room. 

Her eyes strayed to Hermione’s, before Hailey looked at Andi. “I did. I… err… sorry, they were distracting.” Although Hailey had tried to cover for Hermione, she couldn’t bring herself to lie. 

Andi glanced between Hermione and Hailey for a moment, before smiling with a shrug. “Okay, sorry. I suppose having that many was a bit much.”

Dora snorted, making Andi narrow her eyes at her daughter, who just ignored the look. A quiet, ringing noise echoed through the room from Dora’s wand. Pulling it out of her holster, Dora frowned at it. “Huh, someone’s just apparated out the front of the house.”

Moments later, there was a ringing noise as the doorbell was rung. 

“I’ll get it!” Dora shouted, sprinting off to see who was at the door. 

Hailey could hear Dora greet someone with a bit of surprise, her voice getting louder as they walked closer. Dora walked through first, closely followed by Professor McGonagall. 

Andi greeted the professor warmly. “This is a surprise. Welcome, Minerva.”

Minerva McGonagall’s lips twitched into a small smile. “Thank you, Andromeda. I’m sorry for dropping in unannounced like this, but I had some paperwork that I think Hailey would want to read.” 

At her name, Hailey perked up, wondering what the deputy headmistress had brought her. 

“Happy birthday, Hailey. These are for you,” Minerva said as she handed over two sealed envelopes to Hailey. 

Carefully taking them, she could feel the familiar tingle of magic, Hailey, smiled at her soon-to-be professor. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention. Now, I suggest that you read the top letter first. I have been in contact with Amelia, who informed me of this letter. She was going to bring it to you, but I said that I could do it, as I already had a letter I wanted to give to you anyway.”

Nodding in response, Hailey barely registered what the professor had said as she tore open the first letter. 

To the Head of the House of Potter,

I was regretfully writing to inform you that the Department of Names, Births, and Deaths of Wizarding Kind is unable to provide the requested name change for Harry Potter by Madam Bones as it is a magically sealed and automated process, when it was discovered that the birth name is showing as the requested one. Therefore, I, George Georgie Georgington have no choice but to officially acknowledge Hailey Jasmine Potter, formally known as Harry James Potter. 

George Georgie Georgington. 

Registrar for the Department of Names, Births, and Deaths of Wizarding Kind. 

Hailey couldn’t hold back the smile on her face as she passed the letter around for everyone to read. 

Ron looked perplexed. “Wait… so your name really is Harry Potter?”

Ginny slapped her brother on the arm, causing him to yelp and rub where she’d hit, glowering at her. “No, stupid. Didn’t you read the letter? Her name is Hailey.”

“That’s wonderful news, honey!” Andi said, wrapping Hailey up in a warm hug. Making sure she didn’t drain any more magic from Andi, she had done that this morning already, Hailey nodded. She knew of course that her name was Hailey, but it was nice to see the magical system they had in place verify it. 

Pulling back, Andi brushed some of Hailey’s hair out of her face. “Right, ready for dinner now? Ted should be finished soon.”

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, looking at Hailey pointedly. “You’ve got one more letter, Hailey.”

“Oh, yeah! Thanks, Professor.”

Grabbing her last letter, Hailey gasped as she read the address. 

Hailey Potter, her bedroom, Tonks residence. 

Her bedroom. Hailey’s bedroom. Not the guest bedroom, but hers. That simple fact made her feel like her chest was too small for her heart. Gingerly removing the letter, Hailey handed the envelope to Andi, with a silly grin on her face, before reading. As she suspected, it was her Hogwarts admission letter, complete with the list of school equipment she needed. 

Smiling cheerfully, Hailey placed her letter down and happily joined everyone in finding places to sit. She made sure that Hermione and Ginny sat next to her. Andi even managed to convince Professor McGonagall to stay for dinner. Not long after, Ted finally finished up his important work call and joined the rest for dinner and birthday celebrations. 

After stuffing themselves full of the delicious meal that Andi and Dora had made, insisting that Hailey relax for the day, it was time for the presents. 

64