Chapter Seventeen – Flying And Fae
1.1k 8 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was Wednesday afternoon, several days after her meeting with Dumbledore. Hermione was wringing her hands nervously as she walked beside Hailey towards the empty Quidditch pitch for their first flying lesson. 

“I just don’t see why this is mandatory. I’m all for learning something new, but we’ve already learnt how from Ginny and her family when we visited their home!” 

Hailey looked away to hide her expression as Hermione griped. On one hand, she was concerned for the anxiety her friend was feeling over the idea of flying. On the other hand, the idea that Hermione, of all people, was complaining about a lesson was somewhat amusing. 

Slowly, Hailey reached out to hold one of Hermione’s hands, which was alternating between flapping about or wringing her other hand in her anxiety-driven state. Hermione grabbed Hailey’s hand when she had paused it to give the bushy haired girl a chance to reject the touch. 

Patting Hermione’s hand with her free hand, she smiled warmly. “I know you hate flying, but didn’t you like flying side-saddle, like you see with movie witches?”

Before Hermione could answer, someone interrupted their discussion. “Ah! Good afternoon, children. I am Madam Hooch, your flight instructor.” 

A witch stood in between a bunch of broomsticks lined up on the ground. Hailey noted that Madam Hooch had grey hair and yellow eyes as she smiled at the students walking up to her. Hailey smiled at the Madam’s name. She was a dedicated and serious person, but with a soft and humorous side. 

After taking note of every student, Madam Hooch nodded briskly. “Excellent, we’re all here then. Now, please step up to a broomstick and when you do, hold your hand over it and say ‘up’.”

Reluctantly letting go of Hermione’s hand, Hailey stepped up to the nearest broom with her friend next to her. As she glanced around, she saw other students had already started trying to coax their brooms into their hands. Hailey could feel the magic of the brooms and most of them felt worn, tired. Looking at the ratty and poorly maintained appearance of them, she wasn’t surprised. 

Holding her hand over her chosen broom, Hailey made sure to hold in her own magic consuming ability. “Up!” She commanded. To her surprise – considering the weakness of the magic, the broom shot up immediately, slapping into her palm with a slight sting and a slapping sound. She probably shouldn’t have been surprised though, considering how the Weasley’s brooms reacted. 

“Well done, Miss Potter,” Madam Hooch commented with a smile. 

All around her she could see students trying to get their brooms up. Hailey watched as several other students, including Neville and Ron finally got their brooms up too. 

Madam Hooch blew her whistle once everyone had gotten their brooms in their hands. “Okay, students, mount your brooms, but don’t lift off yet.” She paused to wait as they all mounted their brooms, before continuing. “Well done. Now, grip your broom handles tight and slowly push off the ground." 

Just as Hailey started lifting up, she heard a yell from her right and watched as Neville suddenly shot up into the sky. She could see his panicked face as he yelled in fright. 

All around her, students yelled or laughed as Madam Hooch shouted at Neville to get back. She doubted he could hear the Madam from how far he had drifted by now, and how loud the other students were. Something glinted in Neville’s pocket and as he flailed, Hailey watched whatever it was fall. 

Before she had even realised it, she was off like a shot, rushing towards the falling object – determined to catch it before it hit the ground. Briefly she heard Madam Hooch blowing her whistle, but she couldn’t hear anything she might’ve said over the sound of the wind. 

The air rushed past her as she increased her speed, the old broom vibrating almost violently in her hands from being pushed so hard. A sparkling object fell in front and to the side of her broom. Relying on instincts she didn’t even know she had, Hailey lunged forward, managing to grasp the barely visible ball in her outstretched hand. 

Using one hand, Hailey turned the broom around in a sharp arc just in time to watch Neville dangle one armed from his broom, yelling in fright. Shoving whatever it was that she had caught into her pocket, Hailey leaned forward on her broom, racing towards Neville with a sudden burst of speed that made the broom groan in protest. 

“Come on, come on!” She urged her broom impatiently as air raced past her, Hailey was grateful for her glasses, they were keeping most of the wind out of her eyes. 

Pulling up beside Neville, Hailey dived forward once again, as she attempted to grab his flailing hand. 

Stretching out her fingers, Hailey made another lunge for him. “Neville! Grab my hand!”

Neville’s broom lurched and Hailey’s heart leapt to her throat as, for a horrible second Neville seemed to float in midair without any support as he finally lost his grip. Just as he let out a loud, high pitched scream, Hailey caught his arm and yanked him up and onto his broom. Holding Neville steady, he managed to clamber back up. She could feel him trembling underneath her steadying hand as they slowly drifted down to the ground, where they were swamped by excited students cheering them on. She could barely hear anything over the racket the students were making and as Neville thanked her over and over in her ear. 

Hailey’s heart pounded in her ears and her hands shook as she took deep gulps of air. She didn’t get much of a chance to reflect on what she had just done before she noticed Professor McGonagall standing there staring at her with a slight frown through the cheering students. 

“Come with me, Miss Potter.”

As she followed Professor McGonagall, Hailey worried at just how much trouble she was in. Madam Hooch had seemed to vacillate between being mad at Hailey for risking her life and ignoring her, and proud for what she had managed. 

The professor hadn’t given her any time to make sure that Neville was okay, before Hailey had been dragged back into the castle. Her shoes echoed down the hallway, like a pendulum clock to her doom. She giggled slightly at her dramatic thought. I’ve been spending too much time with Dora lately

With a sigh, Hailey placed her hand in her pocket, and felt something hard, smooth and round. Grasping it, Hailey gasped as she pulled out the object that she had caught that had dropped from Neville’s robes. It was a ball, roughly the size of a tennis ball, made entirely of glass, with nothing inside of it. Hailey felt the enchantments on it attempt to reach out to her, she sensed more than felt a tendril of magic delicately probe her mind, then fizzle out as it failed to latch on. 

Professor McGonagall stopped at a classroom and glanced at Hailey. “Is that a Remembrall?” 

Hailey looked up at her Professor and shook her. “I don’t know… it was what fell out of Neville’s pocket

“You saw that, from that distance, and managed to catch it? Amazing. Just remember to give it back to Mr. Longbottom when you see him next.”

“I will, I promise, Professor,” she replied, before taking a breath. “Am I in trouble?”

Her professor looked at her with a puzzled expression before a slight smile crept to her lips. “No, dear girl. We’re here to see Professor Flitwick.”

“Oh… okay,” Hailey replied quietly. Not at all comforted by that comment as Professor McGonagall knocked on the classroom door, before opening it. 

“Minerva? Miss Potter? Is something a matter?” Professor Flitwick asked when they walked into the classroom. 

“Not at all, Filius! Quite the opposite. I watched this young lady fly on a broom earlier and it would be negligent of me to not encourage her to fly. Are there any positions available on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team?”

As her heart raced, Hailey couldn’t hope to hide her smile at the turn of events. Despite McGonagall’s assurances, she had been sure she was going to get into trouble. Now it looked like the professor wanted her to play Quidditch, something she’d enjoyed whenever she had played with the Weasleys. 

The tiny professor looked thoughtful at Hailey, a slight frown wrinkled his brow. “Not this year, unless Miss King has made changes I am unaware of.”

Seeing the dejected look on Hailey’s face, Professor Flitwick continued. “But perhaps we could make you a reserve? Mara King and her team could train you in the basics of each position and next year you’ll be in a good spot to replace anyone leaving.”

Hailey smiled and bounced on her toes in excitement. 

“This of course means you’ll have to get your own broomstick, and you cannot let this opportunity affect your studies,” her head of house said sternly, but Hailey could see he was smiling warmly all the same. 

“I promise, Professor!” Hailey replied eagerly. 

Professor McGonagall smiled as well. “Don’t forget to write to Andromeda. She can help you to arrange for your own broomstick.”

Suddenly Hailey couldn’t wait to leave so she could tell her friends and family. 

Malfoy sneered at her and Hermione as they arrived at the closed door to their first class on Thursday morning, the day after their flying lesson. Hailey had been apprehensive about Professor Snape, but excited to study potions. She had had the opportunity to help Andi brew a couple of potions at home, and had enjoyed it immensely. 

Several Slytherins, including Malfoy and his overly large cronies intercepted her and Hermione as they walked towards the other Ravenclaws. 

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the golden child, Potter. Allowed to do whatever you want to, of course!”

Hailey looked at all the Slytherins arrayed against them, stepping slightly to push Hermione behind her before giving Malfoy a confused look. “What’re you talking about, Malfoy?”

She watched as the golden-haired boy – she wasn’t sure how he identified, only that his name didn’t fit him, much like her old one didn’t fit her either and so would use boy in her head for now – sneered at her again. He was very good at doing that, like she was no more than a stain on the sidewalk. 

“Getting into the Ravenclaw Quidditch team as a first year.”

Rolling her eyes, Hailey let out a huff. It wasn’t like she was on the team exactly, she was a reserve, to be trained up for whatever position needed filling. “I had nothing to do with that, besides accepting the offer from Professor Flitwick.” She held out her hand. “Look, can’t we just forget all this happened and shake on it?” 

Malfoy’s face scrunched up in anger as he stared at her hand. “I would have offered to be your friend once, but that was before you insulted my family name.”

Hailey held in her wince. “What? No I didn’t! I swear!”

Staring into her eyes, it almost looked like Malfoy was wavering in his stance, before a brown haired girl who would’ve been pretty if she didn’t have such an ugly expression on her face interrupted with a staged whisper everyone could hear. “Ew, Draaacoo, you wouldn’t want to be associated with someone like that! You might also catch something from the mudblood!”

The golden-haired boy’s gaze hardened as the Slytherins guffawed and several Ravenclaws, including Padma pushed past the Slytherins to stand with Hailey and Hermione. 

Before anything could escalate further, Professor Snape swooped in from behind them as the door opened on its own. “I trust that everyone knows what to do next?” He asked waspishly. 

Standing up straight, the Ravenclaws immediately followed the professor inside as the Slytherins sullenly looked at them as they passed. 

Professor Snape seemed to ignore everyone until they had all taken seats at the benches and began to read out names. Glancing at them for a moment every time someone responded. 

“Patil…”

“Here!” Padma replied, holding her hand up. 

After a brief pause to look at her, the professor glanced down at the parchment on his desk and smirked. “Harry Potter, our newest… celebrity.” 

Hailey blushed brightly as the Slytherins laughed nastily at her while Professor Snape continued to smirk. 

“It’s Hailey, sir,” she said quietly. 

Snape’s eyebrow raised on his pale face. “What was that, boy? Speak up!”

Standing up, Hailey shook – from anger or fear, she wasn’t sure – as she looked at the professor in his dark eyes. “I said, it’s Hailey Potter…sir!”

The professor’s face darkened in anger as he stormed towards her. “Now listen hear you insolent arrogant boy, your mother died to keep you alive, and this is how you repay that? Your name is Harry Potter. Got it?”

Magical power gathered to Hailey as her anger and fear spiked. A strong breeze ruffled students' hair and any parchment they had on their desks as it swirled around her with every spare drop of ambient magic rushing into her. Words came to her unbidden, “I am Lady Hailey Jasmine Potter, Matriarch of the Potter House.

At her proclamation, magic burst out of her like a shockwave, knocking Snape back a few steps. Bags, quills, parchment and ink flew everywhere and several students fell off their seats with startled yelps as the wave, like a ripple in the air, rushed over them. Hailey felt the powerful spell rush through Hogwarts, ignoring the walls and the wards, and vanish past her senses. Even though she could no longer sense it, she knew that whatever she had done, was still continuing. Like a ripple in the water from a large rock. 

Hailey swayed on the spot, suddenly more exhausted than she had ever been before. Before she collapsed, she felt Hermione grab her around her waist and guide her back to her stool. “Here, Hailey. Rest. You just used a lot of magic.”

She felt herself lean into Hermione’s side, drawing comfort and strength from the other girl’s presence. 

“What did you do? You silly little b–” Snape’s eyes bulged as he tried to finish his sentence, but seemed to find it impossible. As students all around her cussed and picked themselves up or shouted about the mess, Snape bore down on her with an angry glare. As Hailey shrunk back from his rage, a loud crack like a car engine backfired, and a small odd creature with large ears appeared next to her. 

“Peppy is so glad that Lady Potter is alive! Peppy rejoices in once again serving your family, my Lady!” As exhaustion began to overwhelm her, Hailey could see the little creature’s large eyes were brimming with tears. As she welcomed the darkness at the edge of her vision, Hailey saw Peppy put herself in between her and Snape. She thought she heard screaming and someone pleading with her, but couldn’t work out why as exhaustion claimed her. 

As Hailey drifted back to consciousness, she could hear shouting. It sounded to her like it was down a hallway. She became aware of someone holding her hand when they gasped and squeezed it. 

Hermione was suddenly quietly, but happily, speaking to her. “Hailey! You’re awake. I’m so glad, I was so worried about you.”

She looked around the room she was in, noticing several other beds just like the one she was laying on with curtains hanging around them. It reminded her of a hospital ward like the one they had gone to the time that Dudley had thought he had broken his arm. She must be in the Hogwarts hospital wing that she had read about in Hogwarts: A History. Before she could reply to Hermione, they heard someone speak nearby. 

“What do you think you were doing?! Provoking a student like that? Have you no decency?!”

They stopped to listen as they both recognised Professor McGonagall’s raised voice. 

“The b– girl… is as arrogant as hi– her father,” Snape replied in a heated voice. “And now h-she’s gone and done accidental magic that’s preventing us from saying h-her name!”

McGonagall’s voice had a cold edge to it when she replied, her accent sharpening. “I’ve had reports from people all around the country that felt her magic. This wasn’t just accidental magic. This was old magic. Powerful. Magic an eleven year old girl should not be able to do, and you are the one who caused her to do it. She could have died, Severus. Now, I must see to the girl. Come on along, Filius. Severus, I suggest you make yourself scarce for now. We don’t need any more accidents on your record, do we?” 

Hailey saw Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick enter the ward, just as an older witch bustled in from behind a closed door. 

The witch glanced disapprovingly at the open door leading outside, before marching up to Hailey and inspected her. “Ah, you’re awake. Good. How are you feeling? Any aches or pains?” She pulled out her wand and waved it at Hailey as she shook her head, the witch frowned when Hailey’s body fed on whatever spell she had cast. “What’s this? This has never happened before…”

With a grimace, Hailey apologised. “Sorry, err, Miss? My body absorbs magic if I’m not careful. You can try again.”

“Oh! I’m sorry, my dear. I’m Madam Pomfrey, the school mediwitch. I can’t say I’ve ever seen that before. Let’s try again.” 

Hailey did her best, but when the mediwitch cast her magic, she couldn’t prevent her body from absorbing it again. “Sorry,” she stammered. 

Madam Pomfrey gave her a gentle smile that almost hid the concern in her eyes and gave her a pat on the shoulder. “It’s alright, dear, you just rest.”

Yanking her hand back like it had been stung, Madam Pomfrey looked at her with shock as Hailey felt some magic rush into her. 

Professor McGonagall had a concerned look on her face as she turned to look at the mediwitch. “Poppy? Is everything alright?”

“Sorry,” Hailey said again, barely above a whisper. 

Recognition flashed on the Professor’s face. “Ah, I understand.” She glanced at Hermione. “Maybe this is best spoken about in private?”

Hailey looked at Hermione and squeezed her hand tighter as the other girl went to let go and leave. Hermione smiled at her before Hailey looked back at the transfiguration professor. “It’s okay, Professor, she already knows I’m Fae.”

Madam Pomfrey gasped and Professor Flitwick, who had been silent up until now, just nodded with a quiet, “Ah ha!”

“Well… that explains the ears, though they aren’t that noticeable. But how did she…? Neither James, nor Lily were Fae. I definitely would’ve known if James was! With the amount of times that boy was in here getting patched up!”

Professor McGonagall nodded. “Andromeda believes it was Fae bloodlines from both of her parents. It’s said that Fae attributes often require a certain amount of Fae blood and magic. Most of the noble houses have a small amount, but not enough for that ‘spark’ that’s needed,” she chuckled, “apparently Lily wasn’t entirely muggleborn, after all.”

As excited as Hailey was to hear anything about her parents, she couldn’t keep her eyes open, nor stop a yawn escaping. 

“That’s enough for now. She needs to recuperate from magical exhaustion. Everyone out, now,” The mediwitch said, all business now that she had a ward to watch. Bustling about, Madam Pomfrey grabbed several vials of potions before she shooed everyone out. 

“Get better soon, Hailey, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Hermione said as she waved goodbye. 

Tiredly waving goodbye to Hermione, Hailey yawned as the school Matron closed a curtain so she could get changed into some nightwear Madam Pomfrey handed her. 

A few minutes later, Hailey had forced down several horrible tasting potions before getting back into bed. Just before she fell asleep, Hailey briefly wondered what had happened to the creature who had called herself Peppy.

60