Weapon shopping
316 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I decided to go to a weapon store after work the next day as there was one nearby that the owner of the hotel/restaurant was friendly with.

The inside of the store was lined with an assortment of weapons, swords, spears, axes and shields were just the most common. I spotted halberds, maces and war hammers too, everything and anything that seemed vaguely pointy and/or dangerous appeared in stock.

The shop itself smelt strongly of metal and soot stains were common along various surfaces. The weapons themselves though were polished to perfection and my reflection could easily be made out.

Soon a buff middle aged man in a leather apron walked over to greet me.

“What can I do for you today young master?”

“I’d like to buy a pair of daggers suitable for my height and build.”

“Right you are, we may not have profound weapons like those made from spiritual metals on black hammer point here, but I’m proud to say we have one of the best selection of mortal blades made of the finest high quality steel. Come right this way and I’ll bring you over some of my best works.”

He led me to a comfortable chair before darting around the store and into the back room and assembling a pile of daggers on the counter top.

“What are you looking to use these for? Backup blade, stealth attacks, general purpose utility knife…” he trailed off and looked at me expectantly.

“I’m plan to use dual equipped daggers as my main weapons and fight mostly through redirection and speed.” I spoke clearly back to him.

“Hmm well in your case you’re still on the short side so I think these would be some of your best bets.” He placed five blades further forward and allowed me to look more closely at them.

Right away I saw one was wicked looking with a serrated edge and blood red handle. Sighing at how impractical it would be,I shook my head and placed it into the larger pile. Next we’re two sets of paired daggers. One pain was a black and grey Damascus steel, the second was plain steel but tapered sharply into a wicked point. In the end though I chose the Damascus pair as I felt as a beginner I should go for a more standard shaped edge than something more outgoing.

I told the man so and he agreed I made a smart choice. Strangely the conversation didn’t end there as whilst he began fitting sheaths fit for me we made some small talk.

“…and that’s why he’s the pride of the outer sect, fearlessly staring down the beast before taking its head clean off.” He was telling me an interesting tale about one of the hopefuls to win the upcoming outer sect tournament and has a chance of being admitted into the inner sect.

“My son will have some big competition this year.”

“Oh is your son in the outer sect?” I asked curiously.

“Aye, moved here with him seven years ago with him, I’ve been making more money here than the city I was previously working too so I’ve been able to support him with a few pills here and there. If he can get to the inner sect and join black hammer point he’ll truly be the pride of our ancestors.”

I had to admit I was a bit clueless on the plight of outer sect disciples, only used to seeing them in passing as they scurried off to do their jobs.

Asking him, it turned out being an outer sect disciple was an ten hour work day with better pay than most would make in other cities, not a bad gig if you’re just looking to live your life but if you want to ascend the cultivation ladder wasting so much time a day and having your earnings counted in silver rather than gold was practically shooting yourself in the foot. It was no wonder spots in the inner sect were fought after so fiercely in the tournament.

Suddenly an idea came to mind and I couldn’t help blurt it out to the man,

“I’m just about to start learning the dagger, do you think any outer sect members would be willing to teach me if I paid them in qi nourishing pills?” I may not have enough money to pay for one on one lessons with an inner disciple but hearing that there were people with years more experience than me living in destitution compared to me, my heart couldn’t help beat a little faster thinking about how to make this my advantage.

“You’d be willing to associate with outer sect members even with your status?!”

At that I had to laugh. A year ago I was eating out of trash and sleeping in the streets, what did I know about status.

“If-if your serious about this my son would definitely help you. He’s one of the most likely to breakthrough to foundation building before twenty, he’s already stage nine qi refining at just seventeen.”

In my head I was dumbfounded just how did it take people so long to cultivate, if everything carried on as projected I would reach peak of qi refining in under three months if I took my time, this really highlighted the difference in our prospects.

After agreeing to come back the same time tomorrow to meet his son, I left the store with a slight spring in my step.

4