RD-12 & RD-13
142 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RD-12

After letting it be known that he was sparing the Healing Shamans, Sean gently carried the nearly healed and still fragile Twilight to the capital. When he made it back, he found Warla organizing a patrol to search for him. Seeing what appeared to be a wounded Twilight in one hand, a giant sword that didn't belong to him in the other, as well as red dragon blood all over his body, Warla became hopping mad that Sean had gotten into a major fight without her army or at least his bodyguard Phalanx. He was only able to calm her by gently laying Twilight and the great sword down, then picking Warla up to snuggle against his face. He kissed her worried tears and she felt better, not caring who was watching. Sean made a note not to get any other girlfriends, squirrel or otherwise, or he'd never have enough time to make them all happy.

After summoning King Rafael, it was explained that the Cromag King offered tribute, but that it had turned into an ambush by the Cromag High Shaman and two foreign Dragons. The weapon Excalibur had been destroyed, but so had the High Shaman and much of the Cromag capital and its inhabitants. After a fierce struggle, during half of which Twilight was broken and unconscious, Humanity's Dragon came out on top, just barely, earning the title, "King of Dragons". Sean found the title pleasing, as it was far shorter and less complicated than all of his others. He had after all, as far as he knew, defeated all the other Dragons in the world, leaving them either dead or surrendered.
'Now is the time to finish the Cromags off,' was immediately thought. "Actually..." Princess Twilight corrected, seemingly hesitant, "Sean has decided that he is the Dragon of the Humans and the Cromags, the ruler and protector of the entire South. Any Cromags or Humans that fight from now on are the Dragon's lunch. Also...we need some healers to help the wounded in the Cromag's capital immediately." The Royalty had a hard time processing this.

"Why not raze the capital? It would take the Cromags 100 years to recover," King Rafael asked.

"Because Dragons don't live forever," Jafaar explained, "The Great One wants to ensure our safety and prosperity even after his time is done." Jafaar puffed up with pride when Sean gave him a thumbs up at this, which was New Draconic for "Perfect".
King Rafael shrugged and conceded, "Works for me. I trust in the Dragon's wisdom. Prepare the relief force at once. Great Dragon, please escort our forces to protect them from feral Cromag cannibals."

(No problem), Sean agreed. He found Rafael a very reasonable and cooperative King, and decided that if he ever had the opportunity, he would make him King again.
---

RD-13

When relief came from the North in the form of friendly and intelligent Neanderthalls wearing cute little backpacks that matched their pink hands and feet, Sean lost his shit and ordered all domesticated Neanderthalls freed immediately. He banned slavery in all forms, and cannibalism, while he was at it. This didn't actually accomplish too much, for as the friendly leader of the Neanderthall expedition explained, "Those are actually cousins of ours that got seperated with the creation of the impassible mountain range that separates the North from the South, unknown eons ago. We're aware of them; we call them "Neander-Thralls." They've been bred to simplicity and will never be able to think or speak no matter how hard you try to teach them. Are they being mistreated?"  

Sean had to admit that, for the most part, they weren't. The North didn't want the burden of taking care of them; there wasn't much else to do but leave them where the were. They were domesticated and could not survive in the wild. Eager to please their Dragon, Squirrel-manity asked what it was Sean wanted them to do differently now that the Neander-Thralls were "free". To cover his mistake, Sean explained that he meant to make it illegal to abuse them. 'Oh, no problem!' Squirrel-manity agreed, in relief. It was already illegal to do so, but they decided not to tell that to the Dragon. Instead they merely did the equivalent of underlining the law, or perhaps writing it in bold text, and decided to prosecute violations more seriously. For the vast majority of the time, Sean was a patient, wise, rational overlord; if he wanted to make a fuss about something small every once in a while, no one was about to think less of him for it.  

More strenuous was Sean's demand to make a dual town that existed on both sides of the river, one that required squirrels and guinea pigs to cohabitate. It was tense and segregated; Humanity on their side of the river, Cromags on their side. No one wanted to start a fight and get eaten by the Dragon (although it was seen as an honorable death, like that of a soldier's, and everyone preferred it to getting eaten by a Titan or Spider or anything else.) Over time, intellectuals from both sides were attracted to the city and the potential exchange of ideas and technology; once healing magic was exchanged and Squirrel Tail-Breakers and Cromag Mossbacks became a thing, no one questioned the Dragon's wisdom ever again. When those two forms of healing magic were combined (sometimes within a single, supremely-talented individual) even the recently deceased could be restored to life.  

Jafaar had never doubted Sean's wisdom, of course. Jafaar had accomplished what he had set out to do, ending whelp-trafficking and legalizing gay marriage. He knew he was no longer really needed to guide and speak for the Dragon. He, and his longtime secret lover Gary, focused on improving and preserving the civil rights of both Humans and Cromags. The population of Cromags had drastically diminished, but with the help of the (original) Neanderthals and the Humans, the catastrophic cycle of cannibalism was halted and the population evened out to be roughly the same as Humanity's now fast growing one.  

Everything was looking up, and Sean planned on taking on the Titans that lived on Humanity's outer borders near the Cave of the Dragons, as soon as his stronger, thicker winter scales grew in, and his peoples finished the laborious task of melting down the Knight's sword, helm, and discarded gauntlet to create at least one of two, completely steel, slightly longer, but significantly heavier duplicates of the lost Excalibur. Sean had mixed feelings about creating weapons that were mighty enough to destroy even himself, but he took pleasure in the fact that he destroyed the potent belongings of the Knight.  

It was two weeks before the first day of winter, the first gust of cold wind just starting to blow, beginning the week long process of Sean's molting of scales. He would soon have his thicker set of winter scales. With terrible timing, the foreign Dragons had sent a messenger with a request for a peaceful meeting between Dragons outside the Cromag capital. Sean didn't want to show weakness...and he was only missing two scales on the front of his chest and three on the back...so he decided to accept. He had his Phalanx, every squirrel and guinea pig magic user, and a significant number of non-magic-users from both armies guarding his back. He took the mostly completed Excalibur2, missing only a few more layers of steel on the head to make it wider and thicker. It was already heavier than the original Excalibur, and Sean thought it would crush an armored skull just fine in its current state.  

It was with this force that they met with the knight and the princess, each bearing a leader from another race; the Knight carried the Neanderthal High Steward, and the princess carried a smaller, darker version of a Cromag with longer fur (the Assistant Chieftan). Not quite the highest leaders, but Sean could forgive that; if attacked in enemy territory, there was no way for the opposing Dragons to truly guarantee safety for those they carried in their hands when they had to fight or flee.  

King Rafael and Arch-Bishop Radiant approached the foreign Dragons, who sat their own little people on the ground to meet them. After a couple seconds of awkwardness, the Dragons decided to sit cross-legged nearby so they could be close enough to hear the conversation. The Knight glared at Sean, while the Princess looked demurely downward, face unreadable. Sean had brought Excalibur2 and placed it in his lap. The Knight did the same thing with a brand new spiked mace. Sean had to admit to himself that that was probably the exact sort of heavily-weighted, narrow-spiked weapon that was ideal for piercing armor like his own.  

The Knight's remaining platemail had been converted to a full bodysuit of chainmail links, covering everything except his (miraculously restored) face. Half of the skin was pink and new, and his beard was growing in patchy. The Knight still had his thick steel boots, but Sean couldn't help but get the impression that otherwise his entire kit had been converted to that of a Dragon Slayer. The heavy plate armor had failed to protect the Knight from Sean's fire and lightning. The new chain link armor should provide protection from claws, while increasing the speed advantage even further.  

"I am Rasputin, the High Stewart of the Northern Kingdoms of Humanity. This is Seagal, the Assistant Chief of the Northern Kingdoms of Humanity. You've already met our Draconic Knight and our Draconic Princess, although under regrettably unfortunate circumstances." The High Stewart bowed, and the dark guinea pig burbled and did the same.  

"I am King Rafael of...the Southern Kingdoms of Humanity, I suppose. The King of the Southern Cromags has deferred to myself and our Dragon to speak on behalf of his people. This is Radiant, the Arch Bishop of Draconic Languages, who will assist us with communication, today. The Great One behind me, is..." Rafael turned around and addressed Sean directly, "There are so many titles floating around nowadays, Sean. I know it gets on your nerves. Perhaps you'd like to speak for yourself on this matter?"  

"You're on first name basis with your Dragon? He can speak?!" The assistant Chief Seagal blurted out in a high pitched (psychic) voice. He reminded Sean of a more effiminete Jafaar. King Rafael didn't respond and just waited patiently for Sean's answer. The plan was for Radiant to translate as much spoken English for the King as possible, but Sean decided to speak in slow, simple hand signs to give King Rafael himself the chance to show off.  

(So considerate. You are my favorite King. What do you think of Sean, King of Dragons?) King Rafael puffed up proudly and responded,  

"I like it. Simple and strong," he turned back to the others and declared, "Behold Sean, King of Dragons." The Princess and the Knight lost composure at this for different reasons.  

"What is going on?" The Princess demanded, quickly. "Do you know sign language?"  

"I created a sign language so I could speak with the squirrels," Sean responded in a slow, Evil-Dragon sounding whisper, to make it easier for Radiant to understand and translate for Rafael. Other aspiring translators were working together under Dawn's instruction to translate for the rest of the viewing squirrels and guinea pigs.  

"What was that last word?" Radiant demanded.  

(S.q.u.i.r.r.e.l. Old Draconic for forest Humans,) Sean attempted to explain. Radiant responded,  

"Ah. Does it have to do with how racial identity does not translate properly between Whiskered speech and spoken language?"  

(Yes, exactly. "Squirrel" describes the shape of your body; long, furry tail, narrow face, the shape of your torso...)  

"I see! We'll need to discuss this more later. I find the different ways our minds describe the same fundamental concepts highly fascinating." 

 Sean smiled and replied, (I agree, my friend. I look forward to working with you later. But let's focus on the meeting for now).  

"Excuse me," Rasputin the High Steward interrupted, "Could you please translate what the King of Dragons is saying?"  

At the same time, the Princess spoke, "OK, I'm lost." The Knight looked irritated, but said nothing.  

Sean snapped for attention (out of habit) then both spoke slowly and signed (Too many languages; This is getting messy. Let us speak one at a time, and wait until everything is understood by everyone before moving on. First, I believe that our visitors must have something important to say if they came this far.)  

This worked for everyone except the Knight, who finally spoke with, "This is bullshit. Why do we need to talk to the rats? Let them do the politics, we do the war."  

(Before you ask, those are Dragon "bad words". Kind of like "Fluffing") Sean explained, then translated.  

"Does this mean the Knight Dragon is a crude Dragon?" Radiant asked with his never ending curiosity.  

"Yes, he is." The Princess answered with a non-plussed look.  

"Shut it." The Knight said harshly to the Princess, who cringed and looked down, saying, "Sorry, sir". Sean frowned at this interaction, but said nothing and decided not to translate this.  

Trying to fight the awkwardness, King Rafael pressed forward with, "Actually, our Great Dragon is as Wise as he is Powerful, and is quite active in culture and politics. He has, let's see...Banned slavery, banned cannibalism, ended the endless war between Human and Cromag, encouraged the exchange of goods and ideas between our peoples, created a school for teaching the Cut to speak language...we're a happier kingdom now. I daresay we've benefitted from our Dragon's wisdom and leadership as much as his strength and power." Sean wanted to pet the King for his kind compliments, but resisting the urge, knowing that it would infringe on his royal dignity.  

So instead, he just smiled and signed, (Thank you, King Rafael.)  

"No, thank you, my Dragon. Every day every Human wakes up and rejoices, knowing that their mighty and kind-hearted God lives among them and keeps them safe from Titan attack and social ills. Every Human, myself included, would die for you without hesitation." With that, King Rafael went into the full head and tail to the ground prostrate bow of worship. All squirrels and guinea pigs watching immediately followed suit. Sean hoped his scales and new, dark skin, could hide his blushing. The High Steward and Assistant Chief had to catch themselves to keep from bowing, and they and the other Dragons looked on in shock and awe.  

"I thought we were Dragons...but you're the real thing, aren't you?" The Princess asked in wonder, "Smart enough to create a language, actually leading your people to a better place, kind, merciful...not to mention the scales and fire breath."  

(I love my squirrel people) Sean said and signed, (I would also die to protect them. I am sorry about the devastation caused to the guinea pig kingdom lately, and hope that in time they will come to see me as the same kind of leader that the squirrels do.)  

"You really are the King of Dragons!" Seagal said, while making burbling guinea pig noises.  

"We made a terrible mistake," the High Steward said, sorrowfully, "We received a magical message from the High Shaman of the Southern Cromags calling for help from a terrible monster that had slain their Dragon, so we asked our Dragons to come assist. But it is obvious now that you are the rightful ruler of the South and deserve only our respect and worship. As you have defeated our Dragons, so, too, has the Northern Kingdoms surrendered to you. Please tell us your demands. We only hope that we can move forward past this mistake one day, that it can be forgiven and forgotten. We owe you for sparing our Dragons, without which we would be at the mercy of the beasts of the North. So please, ask for whatever you desire." The Princess looked contrite, while the Knight had a look of rage and barely contained violence.  

Keeping a careful eye on him, Sean responded with, (I ask only for enduring peace between the Kingdoms of the North and the Kingdoms of the South. I would also like an alliance where we promise to come to eachother's aid against hostile beasts and conquering armies. I would like to know that my people have protection even after my time in this world is over.) At this, Sean could feel the great Whiskered despair of his people at the thought of the possibility of outliving their Dragon. (And let's see...an exchange of goods and ideas between our peoples, if we can overcome that mountain range that seperates us. That should be good. Do that and all is forgiven and forgotten.)  

"That's it?" The High Steward asked, "No tribute?!"  

(No tribute,) Sean agreed. (I'm a Dragon of Equality and Mercy, or so they tell me. Tribute would imply that one of us is better than the other. Would it not be better if we all worked together and supported each other as equals?)  

"Truly a bright new age is upon us!" declared the assistant Chief, "The great mountains will not stop the unification of our peoples! All will worship the King of Dragons and prosperity will be upon us!" There was cheering, Rasputin and Seagal were ecstatic, Rafael and Radiant were proud, even the Dragon Princess was caught up in it and looked at Sean with a smiling look of happiness and hope. Everyone was happy with how things had turned out - except the Knight.  

He finally spoke up, saying, "I don't think this so called 'King of Dragons' can just make demands of us as he pleases." There was an awkward silence as those with whiskers awaited a translation that wasn't coming.  

"Love," the Princess started, in a placating voice, "We surrendered to this Dragon. Aren't you the one that says the victors can demand what they wish of those that surrender?" Then, with a slight edge in her voice, "Isn't that why you get to do as you wish with my body?"  

"I demand a rematch," the Knight declared, ignoring her, "If anyone should be called 'The King of Dragons', it should be me." He tightened his grip on his spiked mace threateningly.  

Sean raised his hands, palms forward and said outloud in a normal voice, "Look, you don't understand how it is with these guys and titles. I'm drowning in titles. I'm the White/Blue/Green/Black Earth Dragon of Wisdom, Mercy, Equality, Death, War and Lust. I liked King of Dragons because it's short, and it's hard to get further upgraded from there. But I didn't come up with it. And I'm not claiming that I'm a king over other Dragons. I didn't even mean to rule the Cromags, it was an accident. I just want to cuddle with fluffy squirrels in the forest and make sure they're safe and happy." He was speaking way too fast for Radiant to follow and all the little people looked on in wonder as the Dragons talked.  

"Wait, you can speak normally? Are you - were you - a human from Earth like us?" The Princess asked.  

"Yes, I'm a human from Earth. I only started growing scales and breathing fire once I came here. I was talking in that slow, whispery voice because high bass and high volume make it hard for the talented Radiant to understand me." Radiant heard his name and looked back and forth between the Dragons, but couldn't understand the conversation, just as Sean intended.  

(Sorry buddy,) he signed to Radiant. (Negotiated peace between our peoples. Just need to talk about Dragon business for a minute.)  

"Of course, Great One, take your time. Not all of the business of Dragons is meant for the whiskers of mere Humans." Leaning closer to King Rafael, Radiant whispered, "I'll still translate what I can for you, sire. It's hard to tell, but I think they're arguing about who deserves the 'King of Dragons' title."  

"How foolish," King Rafael whispered back, "Our Dragon defeated all other Dragons in the World. He is obviously the King of Dragons, more wise and more powerful than all. Not to mention the most beautiful, as he is the color of the forest."  

"I agree, sire. But we all know Dragons are prideful." Radiant answered.  

"Sean's actually pretty humble for a Dragon, I would think." King Rafael disagreed.  

"True," Radiant admitted. "Undoubtably part of the reason that he is the wisest."  

Meanwhile, the bickering between Dragons continued, "A rematch. Right now. 1 on 1. To determine who is the 'King of Dragons'," the Knight demanded.  

"Whoa, chill dude," Sean said, patting the air as if to calm a wild animal. "You're not listening. I don't care about titles at all. Call yourself the King of Dragons too. Maybe Dragon Emperor. I don't care. I just want to protect the people that rely on me."  

"Oh, I see. If it's a fair fight, you're scared. Some powerful 'King' you are," the Knight taunted.  

"Wait, what?" Sean couldn't help but grin in disbelief, "I already beat you in an unfair fight. But you're missing the point. Why the Fluff should we fight? Then one or both of us dies and we can't defend our people. There's some real nasty cat-rabbit things down here that will eat my guys up if I don't kick their butts from time to time. I can't afford to get hurt for no reason."  

"We've got crocoducks and super bats," the Princess said, nodding. "He's right, Sean. It sounds like he's doing a great job down here and the little people love him. Let's let him do his thing in the South and just make that alliance he wants," she gave Sean a winning smile and finished with, "I think it's a great idea!"  

"Wait, Sean?" Sean asked,  

"Oops," the Princess said, covering her mouth with a hand and looking at the Knight fearfully.  

"You idiot!" the Knight exclaimed, slapping her. "I told you not to say anything. I'll take that out of your ass, later."  

"Yes sir, sorry sir," the Princess said quickly, covering her face and looking down.  

Sean frowned and asked the High Steward via Radiant, (Is there slavery in the Northern Kingdoms?)  

"Originally, the Neanderthals followed the example of our Dragon and dominated the Cromag peoples. But as our Dragons have become one, so have our peoples. Through the example of our kind Lady Dragon, we have moved towards a society of equality and compassion."  

"Aw, that's wonderful," Sean said to the Princess Dragon directly, "Good girl."  

The Princess quit covering her face and looked up at Sean shyly, saying, "Thank you."  

The Knight got fed up at this point and, with a curt slicing gesture, said a familiar, "That's enough. Stop talking to my woman. She's been good and obedient lately; I don't want you talking to her and messing it up. She called me Sean because I'm Sean as well. That's why we're going to fight. There can only be one King of the Dragons, only one Sean. Just because you killed your Lydia doesn't mean you can talk to mine."  

Sean (the Dragon) stared at Sean (the Knight) with wide-open eyes, trying to process this. Lydia did look familiar. She looked like a taller, less lean and less muscled, less tan and less hairy version of the short Dragon woman whom he had killed and from whom he had taken the original Excalibur.  

While he was still thunderstruck and in disbelief, Lydia, the Draconic Princess, went on to ask ruefully, "You seem like a nice guy, Dragon Sean. Much nicer than this brute of a Knight, Sean. But why did my sister need to die?" The Knight joined the Dragon's look of disbelief that the Princess was speaking of him this way.  

Sean the Dragon was sorrowful when he replied, "I'm sorry it had to end up that way. I had just been summoned to this world for the purpose of defeating her and didn't yet realize that peace between guinea pigs and squirrels was an option. If I could do it again, I'd try to find another way. Then again..." some smoke came out of his nostrils as he said, "She was shamelessly eating baby squirrels. My precious, fluffy little squirrel children."  

"Ah," Lydia said, looking down once more, "She was a bit of a barbarian, wasn't she?"  

"Too many years living with the wild pigs of the South," the Knight Sean agreed. "I would have killed her off like all the other Seans and Lydia's, if my Lydia hadn't whined and cried about it so much."  

"There are more of us? And you killed them off?" Sean (the Dragon) wasn't sure how he felt about this, but it certainly made his world lonelier, knowing others of his kind were wiped out.  

"It's just the natural fight for dominance," Knight Sean said proudly. "Same reason you killed off the grasslands Lydia. The others are shorter, smaller, weaker, inferior. The magic used between the rat races must be different, some stronger, some weaker, and it can't summon us all to full size. They're defective."  

Sean looked at his beautiful scaled arm, most of which were the lighter, paler scales of summer, but with the heavier, darker scales of winter having grown in early to replace those he lost from the battle with the Knight and Princess. He thought of how the vegetables in his soup looked entirely too small for his hands, and said, "I'm not sure 'full-sized' is a thing. I feel a bit too big, myself. Perhaps it's all relative."  

"You are a bit too big," the Knight agreed, looking angry. "I can't allow another Sean to exist that is shorter or taller than me. We will fight, or I'll wreck your precious squirrel cities and then we'll fight."  

"Are you serious?" Sean asked, more smoke coming out of his nose, "You killed all those people because of some sort of height insecurity? What is wrong with you?" Sean looked at his slender, beautiful scaled arms and the thick, powerful, muscled arms of the Knight. "Are we even the same person? We're shaped completely differently."  

"Because I work out, bruh. What, do you just lay around on a pile of gold all day like a lazy, fatass Dragon?" Sean was embarrassed at how accurate this was.  

"W-well, I'm more of an intellectual Dragon. I study and teach language. I do go on runs sometimes, with the wife."  

The princess had been nodding along with Sean's words, but frowned at this last part, "What wife?" She asked, "Is there another Lydia further to the South?"  

"Oh, no, I, uh, married the squirrel princess. Say hi, sweetheart." He repeated the last part in hand signs.  

Princess Twilight poked out from his hair and waved, saying cheerfully, "Nice to meet you, other Dragons! I'm Sean's wife, Princess Twilight!"  

Raising her hands to her mouth, the Dragon Princess gushed, "Oh my gosh, that's adorable! I didn't realize it was that kind of marriage."  

"I don't know what you mean by 'that' kind of marriage, but," Sean switched over to speaking and signing at the same time, (I agree, Princess Twilight is extremely adorable and I love her very much. Her fur is so pretty and soft that I can't stop touching it all day long.)  

"Seeeeaaan! In front of all the world leaders and Dragon Gods and everything?!" she rolled around in Sean's hair in a spasm of supreme embarrassment, then whispered so that only Sean could hear, "...Thank you for teasing me. I love you, my husband." Sean wanted to reach up and pet her with his claw-removed pinky finger, but didn't feel like missing and stabbing his finger on her clawed armor in front of everyone.  

"So, you're a rat-fucker, just like that little wild-child grasslands Lydia."  

"She is...was much older than both of us. She wasn't a child, just summoned smaller than us," the Princess disagreed, without looking the Knight in the eye. "Besides, it's probably just a ritual marriage like the one I had with the guinea pig prince."  

"I'm not sure you could have beaten her," Sean declared, suddenly feeling defensive for his fallen foe. "She very nearly killed me, and there was only one of her. I beat both of you together, after having my weapon destroyed by the Cromag High Shaman. AND it was a surprise attack. Are you sure you want to duel me? Are you sure we can't just have peace?" Sean asked sternly.  

"Meet me here in two days, or I'll kill all your squirrels," the Knight demanded, then picked up Rasputin, getting up to leave, A cold wind blew and a couple more summer scales fell off Sean's chest in response. Embarrassed, Sean covered them with his feet, hoping no one noticed.  

"Fine, you leave me no choice. Make it the first day of winter in two weeks and I'll meet you here, outside the Cromag capital. Just you and me."  

The Knight turned and left rudely, saying over his shoulder, "Whatever. Let's go, bitch."  

"Coming, love!" The Princess hastened to pick up her guinea pig and leave.  

"Why are you with that asshole? I can't believe that he's actually supposed to be me," Sean said, shaking his head.  

"This world changes each of us into different people. He's all I have," she held his eye for a couple seconds, giving him a significant look. "And he's the strongest Dragon in the world, so everyone and everything either belongs to him or is dead, if and when he feels like killing them. That includes me. He kept a different Lydia as a companion until he found me then replaced her with me because I was younger and taller. Besides... It may be hard to believe, but I do love him. I have to give my love to someone. All of us Lydias do." With that, she turned and left. Two days later, Sean's carefree life in the forest among his fluffy and furry friends finally came to an end. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3