Chapter 5: Dreams
1.9k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Life is divided into three terms - that which was, which is, and which will be. Let us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present, to live better in the future."

MC's POV (Seven years before the shooting)

Right now, I am with Jean in the nurses office, I am just lying in bed while she is reading a book beside me. This place has been our little refuge from all the annoying kids. Miss Linda let us stay here even when classes is in session. At first she was reluctant, I mean who wouldn't but I already know what they were teaching and Jean is smart enough so she eventually agreed.

A week has passed ever since I met Jean. I've been trying hard to remember everything that I can about her and it's not going well. 

It is because I am really not that big of a comic fan and everything that I know about this world comes from the movies and some random facts that I saw on youtube. It is just so hard to get into the comics especially with all the retcons and reboots, now I kinda regret that.

Jean in the movies that I can recall are far older and is in a love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine. I think she died? Then the whole X-men grieved over her but then she came back to life and started killing people. The X-Men tried to stop her but she is too powerful and can't really control her powers but in the end Wolverine managed to kill her due to his incredible healing factor.

Now that I think about it, the relationship between Jean Grey and Wolverine is kinda creepy because Wolverine has been alive since like what? World war one?

Then all of that story became irrelevant because of time travel. 

Aghh... It's kinda frustrating I feel that I am forgetting something important about her...

Now what should I do? Should I tell her to train her powers or something? But she doesn't even have her powers yet. Will it even manifest or not? Then if it doesn't manifest would some sort of fate or some bullshit happen and her power would suddenly manifest?

Shit... Why am I thinking so hard about this? I am just a single guy it's not like I can do something about it. What would I even do? Fight a powerful cosmic being like the phoenix? That thing can kill me with a single thought, literally.

I looked at Jean beside me reading a book with a cute frown on her face. You wouldn't think that a girl like her could be the most powerful being in the future.

She has been a great company this whole week, not unlike those other kids who were annoying as fuck. I guess she can be regarded as my first friend in this life...

Fuck it. If something happens in the future I'll be there to help, after all you don't leave your friends behind.

Then she noticed me staring at her because she looked at me and asked. "What is it...?"

"...nothing."

"Come on, what is it? I've keep on feeling you staring at me this whole."

"What? How do you even feel something like that?" Wait... Is it her power?

She looked away from me and started playing with her hair. "...Well I always notice it when people stare at me. That is why I also know when they are talking behind my back..." She softly said.

Damn... that got sad fast. What the hell is wrong with children anyway? Who said that they are innocent? 

I quickly thought of another topic because I don't really like seeing a sad Jean. "W-well I was just thinking about... Uh... the future! Yeah! The future."

She curiously looked at me, "The future?" 

I nodded. "Yeah, I was just thinking what would you want to do in the future. You know? After you finish school."

She put a finger at her chin and looked up. "Huh... I never really thought about that but... I always liked the women on big sis magazines. They just looked... so confident."

"You mean a model?"

"A model? Is that what they were called?"

"Yeah, the women that poses with different kinds of clothes right?"

She nodded enthusiastically at me, "Yes! Those! They just look so amazing and confident, you know? Like there was nothing that could hold them back..." 

She then looked hopefully at me and softly asked. "...do you think that I could be one? Be like them...?"

"Of course!" I unhesitatingly said then continued. "You're beautiful and unique, I'm sure you'll be the best in no time."

A model huh? Would she become a model if she doesn't awakened her powers and instead lived a normal life?

She blushed and shyly said. "Thanks... What about you? What do you want to do in the future?"

"I don't know... maybe computer engineer?" I said, unsure of it myself.

In my past life I studied computer engineering in college, well only for a year anyway but... I don't really like it that much. The only reason that I took it is because my parents told me so and that it was the in demand job. They said that if I become a computer engineer I'll be set in life and won't have to worry about my future anymore.

"Computer Engineer? What's that?" She curiously asked me.

Right... I guess it wouldn't be an in demand job at this time because it is only 1996 this year. 

I laughed awkwardly and said, "I-Its nothing ha ha ha... Uhm... I don't really know what I'll do in the future yet."

She smiled at me and said encouragingly, "I'm sure you'll figure it out. What are the things you like? Maybe that can help."

"The things I like... hmm... well I like eating."

She then squeezed my cheeks hard, "Hehe, that is why your cheeks are so fat."

"Staapphh..!" I slapped away her hands and rubbed my cheeks. "It's just baby fat."

"Haha, yes yes it is just baby fat. But... I don't think there is a job that all you do is eat." Then she smacked her fist into her palms and said, "I know, you like eating right? Maybe a chef? You know the one in all those fancy restaurants."

"Maybe... but I am really not that good of a cook." After all I lived in a dorm for like a year and the only thing that I cook for myself is instant noodles. 

"Your parents let you cook? Wow... I am so jealous. They wouldn't even let me near the kitchen when I burned an egg that one time." She then crossed her arms, upset.

Oh shit that slipped. "Umm... what I mean to say is that. I can't be a chef because I am not that picky. If a food looks good and smell good then it is good enough for me haha."

"Oh... I was just thinking that if you become a chef maybe you'll feed me." Then she laughed and raised her chin arrogantly. "Huhu, like a princess."

Damn... that's adorable.

Then she continued talking. "But if you don't like to be a chef what do you want to do?"

I am really not thinking that much about my future, I just want to live a normal life. Even going to school, I only went because one my parents told me to and two it is the most normal thing to do. 

I thought that going to school my life will go comfortably because I already know what they will teach. I am basically playing life at easy mode right now but after a week it got boring. Hanging out with Jean is the only thing interesting that is happening here at school.

"Will...?" Jean suddenly poked me at my cheeks.

"What?"

"You didn't answer my question. I thought you fell asleep with your eyes open or something" 

I sighed and said, "Well I don't really know what I'll do in my life..."

Then I suddenly had an Idea because I already know what they will teach me then maybe...

I looked at Jean and said, "I have an idea. What if I skip a few grades and attend your class then I can be there for you as well!"

With wide eyes she said, "R-really?"

I nodded, "Yeah, after all we hung out this whole week here. I thought that maybe if I attend the same class as you no one we could hang out all the time. Then no one will bully you anymore after all I'll be there for you!" 

She then hugged me tightly and said, "T-thank you but... you don't have to do that for me. After all I am already happy like this..."

I patted her back, "W-well then I am not doing it for you. I am doing it for myself because I am bored. That is all."

I don't want to burry myself in studying again but it doesn't really matter if I move up a grade or two, that's normal right? 

54