Chapter 14: Cookies
1.3k 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s always the little things, those little gestures that matter the most.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gwen Stacy's POV

"Huh... This seems easy enough. I can do this! It is just like chemistry, adding and mixing ingredients to produce the intended result." I said to myself after reading the cook book. 

Tomorrow is January 20 which is Will's birthday. I want to give him a gift and what better way of surprising someone than a homemade cookies.

In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt then set aside... After that in a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugars until fluffy... 

"Is this fluffy enough?" I then checked the cook book and it just says don't forget to scrapes the side. "Why doesn't it just gave me the precise instructions... Ugh.. I'm sure it's going to be fine."

Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth. Then mix it with the flour mixture and add the preferred amount of chocolate chips.

"Will has a sweet tooth so adding more chocolate chip shouldn't be a problem."

Onto ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.

I smiled, "There it's done! I just need to wait for it."

10 minutes later...

"Why isn't it light brown? Should I bake it for two more minutes? The instructions aren't clear enough I'm sure it's fine."

2 minutes later...

"Oh no! It smells like it's burning!" I quickly took it out of the oven and It is burnt. 

"Maybe it still tastes good?" I tried to pick one up to taste but, "Oww! Hot! Hot!"

Let it cool down first, lesson learned. After a while I picked one up and its hard and brittle. Then I took a bite and immediately spit it out.

"Bleh... Its bitter. Let's try making another batch. I can do this! It is just like science you need to go through some trial and error to get the perfect result."

Three failed baked attempts later...

"Why... What am I doing wrong! I am out of ingredients and so far the first one is the only thing that looks edible..." 

I sat down and lay my head on the table top and rest. I've been at this thing for who knows how long. 

The door suddenly opened and Mom came in. She looked at me and then looked at the kitchen. She put both hands on her hips then said. "Have you been doing experiments on the kitchen again? I told you to do that at your school. Kitchen is a place for cooking not this..." Then she gestures at the mess that I've made.

I sat up then put a hand on my forehead, "I'm not doing some experiment, Mom. I'm trying to bake some cookies..."

She looks at me with a baffled expression. "Then why is there beakers and steering rod in here?"

I sighed, "I'm trying to get the precise amount of ingredients and I thought that it will help."

She puts a hand on her forehead and sighs, "Oh... honey cooking is different from your experiments it is much more flexible and you don't need to follow it to the letter. Let me help you."

I smiled, feeling the energy returning to my body. "Thanks, Mom."

"So are you making this for Will?" 

"W-what? No... I'm doing this because I had a sudden interest in baking."

She laughs, "No need to lie to me. I'm not really against your relationship with Will because I was once like you back then."

I didn't say anything and just continue to listen. "Just make sure that you tell us if there is something wrong okay."

I nodded, "Okay, I'll talk to you for some relationship advice..."

She smiles, "Now, this is how you do it."

__________

The next day at school during lunch break I approached Will while hiding the paper bag with the cookies inside it behind my back.

"Hey Will, happy birthday."

He smiles at me, "Thanks Gwen." Then he noticed that I was hiding something behind my back. "Is that a present? You know you didn't have to bother with something like that right? Just a kiss is enough for me."

I shook my head, "No, your birthday is special. Why don't you come with me for a while?"

He looks at me but follows anyway. I just want to have some privacy... I didn't know that handling someone a gift could be so embarassing.

We went to an empty laboratory. This place is usually locked but I managed to borrow the key with some excuse.

"So what's this gift that you're so secretive about?"

I hesitated for a while but still gave him the paper bag. In it are some of my failed attempts and the one that I made with Mom. I didn't really want to show him my failed results but Mom insisted that I gave it to him as well. 

"H-here... I baked this for you."

He then opened the bag and then said, "What's this? Cookies and some charcoal?"

I glared at him but he just laughs. "I'm joking... this looks delicious, Gwen. Thanks." 

Then he puts his hand on my waist and then pulled me close. He leaned forward for a kiss and I closed my eyes and let him do what he wants... 

I don't how long we've been making out but he finally seperated, "As much I want to kiss you all day, I can't wait to eat what you've baked." He said then took a cookie the one that Mom and I made while still hugging me close.

"Hmm... This are delicious."

I smiled, glad that he is enjoying it. Then he took a burnt cookie, one of my many failed attempts.

"Wait no don't eat that!" I tried to stop him but he already swallowed it whole and chewed it.

He sticked out his tongue and said, "...its bitter."

"I told you not to eat that, Its a failed cookie."

He smiles then takes another one of the failed cookies and ate it. Then he said, "But all of this is the sign of your hard work and I'm going to eat every single bite of it."

How much are you going to make me fall for you? This is what I liked about him... He is kind and considerate person.

So this time I'm the one who made the first move and went for a kiss. But I immediately seperated... " ...bitter."

He then laughs at me.

I decided to create another chapter its just a short one because I didn't really like how the last one turned out 

As you can probably tell from the last chapter I didn't even put a quote at the beginning. I just really like the quotes because the whole 'theme' of the chapter is centered around it.


38