Chapter 1: A New Beginning
15 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Have you ever wondered how fast your life could change? Jordan was sure that he’d set the world record. 3 hours 25 minutes and 52 seconds, 53 seconds nowwell you get the point. One second, he was getting ready for his beginning of year prep rally—which he didn’t really care for, but never-mind that. The next second Jordan got called to the office. During the three years he’d been at that school, he had never been referred to the office—Jordan was pretty good at blending into the crowd for reasons he wouldn’t talk about...yet. 

Regardless, he’d reached the office, where he was greeted by the secretary May, who directed him to the principal's office, saying something to the effect that it was of utmost importance. He glanced back internally at how foolish he was for reaching for the door handle, but how could he have known he would be instantly transported across the world? 

 That’s about it. Currently, Jordan was sitting in the office at what he was told is the most prestigious school for magicians or whatever that means. 

The main desk—that he sat in front of—was a darker wood which accented the light wood and colors that dawned the room. As he sat in the chair his stomach seemed to still be recovering after the little trip across the planet, causing a weird rumble to come from within.

Standing up the supposed headmaster whispered, “Well he obviously isn’t normal.”

“That I can agree with,” the headmaster's assistant spat, cutting him off.

They knew he could hear them, right? Maybe they didn't care. Suddenly a new face appeared—well I guess they're all new faces, that’s irrelevant. Anyway, the aura in the room changed; for better or worse he didn't know yet. 

Glancing at him with dark eyes the man spoke, “Is this the boy that’s causing all this ruckus?” As he double takes him, he says—“Well he doesn’t look like much to me,” with a hint of disgust.

“Agreed I don’t understand why the headmaster was so determined for me to bring this thing into our school” 

Seeing the worried look on Jordan’s face the headmaster made his way to him trying his best not to intimidate him. He was huge, by huge he meant tall, like really really tall; It was kind of hard to believe this guy was the headmaster, he looked to be in his mid twenties. 

The sudden hand on his shoulder pulled Jordan out of thought, he should probably stop daydreaming so much.

“Hey don’t you worry about Daren over there, he’s actually a good guy once you get to know him,” The headmaster said, grinning. “Oh where are my manners? My name is James Hywell, the headmaster of this fine academy.”

“I’m Jordan… Jordan Grace,” he didn’t know if he could trust him yet.

Smiling James reached out his hand, “Well Jordan It’s nice to meet you.” 

Staring at his hand, It took about two seconds for his brain to click and he’d cautiously returned his handshake.

Clearly not interested, Daren spat, “Tell me, what makes you so different? Let's get down to the truth, who are you and what makes you so special?” 

He wasn’t special. In fact, he was anything but. The look on the headmaster's face was one of curiosity and wonder: he couldn’t say the same for Daren though. 

“I don’t know how you want me to answer your question,” Jordan looked at his hands slightly before bringing his vision back up. “One second I’m at school and the next I’m here, I don’t know what's going on.” A slight breath of annoyance fell through. 

Daren and the headmaster’s assistant seemed to want to strangle him at this exact moment. Thankfully James noticed.

“Hey give the kid some space,” James turned with a disappointed look at two other people in the room. “He comes from the mortal world, how do you expect him to understand?”

A sigh of relief threatened to escape Jordan’s mouth when Daren and the assistant backed off. 

“Look… sorry I’m not the person you’re looking for, but I really have to get going. I have a life, you know.” 

“I will gladly take you back, Jordan,” James smiled. “Do you think you could answer a few questions though? It is entirely up to you, no pressure.”

It was just a few questions, nothing could go wrong. 

Jordan didn’t know how wrong he was.

“Sure.”

“Great!,” The man clapped. “Ok so how old are you, and what are your parents' names?”

The first question seemed harmless but the next one caught him off guard. Why did he want to know his parents' names? 

“I’m eighteen—” he smirked—”and their names are dead and deader.” 

James' smile faded slightly, but was still friendly; Daren and the assistant could barely contain their overflowing irritation. 

“I’m sorry for your loss—Jordan—truly.” 

Damn now he felt bad. He’d expect the headmaster to ignore him or press harder, but he hadn’t expected him to actually care. People usually didn't. 

“Their names were Alison and Richard Grace,” He said, giving into guilt.

The room froze. 

“Sir—”

“Yes I know,” James cut quickly, turning to his assistant. A breath that seemed to be endless escaped the man, “I can’t believe it.”

Daren stood off beside the corner quietly, the look of shock apparent on his person. 

“What’s the big deal?” Jordan didn’t understand. Had he said something wrong? 

“The deal is that your parents were the most powerful wizards of their time.” The assistant eye’d him as if he’d stabbed him in the heart.

“He isn’t wrong Jordan,” the headmaster stated after seeing the look on his face. “Many years ago your parents attended this fine university, and by all the 10 realms they were magnificent. The finest wizards of their time. Were the youngest wizards to both graduate, and become court wizards ever.” 

“But they retired and soon after, vanished without a trace.”

Jordan’s mind fought to understand but was losing the battle. His parents were powerful wizards? How couldn’t he have known, he meant—they did die when he was young—but still. Another thought appeared in his mind. If his parents were wizards, then why didn’t he have magic? What even is magic? 

“I’ll answer any questions you have, Jordan,” The headmaster spoke with a look of sympathy, and maybe even guilt across his face. 

What should his first question be? Jordan considered the millions of questions that bombarded his mind, and decided. 

Jordan looked towards the man, “What is magic?” He shifted slightly, “I mean, I know what magic is; I’m guessing we have different definitions though.” 

“Ah, yes… magic,” James said. “I agree that our view on such would be much different considering the realm of which you come. Magic is life itself—” He scratched his beard. “—even in beings who can’t control—or so manipulate it—magic plays a key role in how we live. Allow me to give you a demonstration.” 

Demonstration? Jordan would be lying if he said he didn’t expect for the man to pull a rabbit out of a hat; what he saw next…well he never expected that. A slight pressure radiated through his entire body, as the room began to shake. His light breath turned heavy, no thanks to the crushing pressure in the room. 

“Calm down Jordan, wouldn’t want you passing out on me,” The older man chuckled. 

Gaining a bit of control over his breath Jordan watched as the headmaster pulled books off of the selves, making them hover around the room. It took a moment for him to gain control of himself again; once he did…something sparked inside him. This is magic. He could only imagine what his parents could do. 

Taking a deep breath he said, “How… How are you doing this?” He waved his arms around the room to emphasize the question. 

“There are many ways to explain that question, but allow me to answer in a way that wouldn’t confuse you too much yet. Our bodies naturally produce something called mana. Mana is what allows us to use, and manipulate magic—” James flicked his hand, guiding a book to him, “—without it, this wouldn’t be possible.” 

With the levitating book open, he continued. “As you would expect, people built shrines to the gods in the belief that magic came from them. However, that was debunked a few millennia ago, by a man named Zol. It's still common for people to invoke the gods, but you'll learn more about that in your classes.” James paused in thought, “Ah yes! I never asked you if you wanted to attend this university, so what do you think?” 

Daren’s posture altered slightly, but he said nothing. 

Should he attend this university? What about his school?

“All expenses would be paid for of course,” The headmaster waved his hand. “And your school has already been taken care of.” James finished, seeming to read his mind. 

Naturally, one would ask about their friends, but he had none; he wouldn’t complain about the free food. He wouldn’t have to steal anymore, he wouldn’t have to worry about when his next meal would be. And if his parents were anything like he heard, maybe he would be good at magic too. 

“Yes, I would like to attend, if that isn’t a problem.” 

“Wonderful!,” the man beamed. “Jorge”—the headmaster's assistant—”please have Susan”—the schools secretary—”begin on a schedule for our newest student.” 

“Yes headmaster,” a sour look painted on his face as he exited the room. 

A clap echoed in the room.

Jordan watched as the books that once floated around them, returned to their normal positions on the book shelf. 

“Come now, let's go check if your schedule is ready.” James walked around the huge desk and began to make way for the door. 

Getting up to follow, Jordan swore he could feel something glaring at him, no, someone glaring at him. Shaking off the feeling, he followed the huge man. Exiting the room, the atmosphere was breathtaking. Papers spiraled around the room reaching different corners—in what he assumed as the main office—as he walked through. The room seemed to glow thanks to the large window that plastered above, giving in to the already illuminating room. 

While some workers sat at their desks and worked, others floated. The room was large and the walls had different colored flags which rained down. 

He continued to follow James as they made their way through the area, cutting through passerby and exchanging glances with the workers who sat at desks. They stopped once they reached a particular ladies desk, one that stood out from the others. Pictures of—what he assumed as family and friends—draped alongside the desk. Whoever she was, a friendly aura definitely marinated the space around her. 

“Ah Susan! Just the lady I was looking for,” James said. “I hope that Jorge was able to reach you about this lad’s schedule.” 

Susan turned a smile bright on her face, “Yes of course! Right this way headmaster.” She got up motioning for them to follow. 

“Susan please, it’s just James, we’ve been over this.” 

“Yes James,” Susan blushed slightly.

They walked until they reached a printer. A click of a button later, a paper was put out and handed to him. The schedule held his name and age at the top; the rest showed the classes he’d be taking. Pulling him out of his thoughts Susan spoke. 

“The classes you’re taking are all beginner, as I was told about your situation. I hope you won’t mind, but you will be a little behind our students age wise, as most first years start at sixteen.” 

“That won’t be a problem Susan,” James assured while turning to him. “Let's take a look at your classes shall we.” 

He held out the paper, so James could see; a smile formed across his face. 

“You are in luck, Jordan. One of my good friends will be teaching one of your classes. That is most exciting!” James nodded. 

“Oh which one is it?” Jordan asked. 

“I won’t tell, but I will say one thing however. Their personality is very bold and hard to miss, I believe you will have no problem figuring it out.”

Jordan looked at his paper examining his courses. His fifth period course Beginner Battle Magic 1607 caught his eye. 

“Hey uhm…headmaster—”

“Please it’s just James,” The man cut him off.

“Ok… James, what do the numbers next to the courses mean?” Jordan pointed. 

“Fair question,” The headmaster looked at the paper. “The one indicates the year you're in, while the rest of the numbers show the room number.” 

“Oh okay that makes sense,” Jordan wanted to face palm, how dumb was he? 

“Right well duty calls!” Susan turned about to walk away, “It was nice meeting you young man, I hope you do enjoy your time here.” With that, she was off. 

“Classes start tomorrow Jordan. I’ll show you where you’ll be staying, and while we walk, give a small tour.” James walked towards the exit.

2