Chapter 8: Out of Control
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

“What is this?” Jordan and Jason were currently eating lunch at some local vendor stand outside. “This is amazing.” He said, taking another bite of his food.

“Oh that's a unicorn breast,” Jason said carelessly, taking a sip of his drink. 

Jordan choked, “A what!?” He stared down at the fried piece of meat in front of him. Seeing the look on Jason’s face he calmed down. He had to admit however, it was good. After glaring at the unmoving meat for a second time, he picked it up and took another bite.

“I’m really excited for the festival coming up, what's it like?” His imagination was brought to life. 

“Oh the fall festival? I’ve actually never been; but I’ve heard it's amazing. My favorite by far is the winter countdown though.” Jason said. 

The city he came from had something similar to it. The countdown for new years; he wondered if it would be the same or something entirely new. Today was the embodiment of perfection—these past few weeks have been incredible. He had to fight for most of his life, sometimes not eating for days, sleeping in parks and alleyways. Now, he basically had his own apartment, free food—an awesome friend. It really couldn’t get better than this.  

After finishing their meals, they stood to continue their exploration. Jason offered to take their garbage, but as he was returning a man hurriedly moved through the crowd, knocking him to the ground.

The man stood over Jason, “Watch where you’re going, trash like you should be kept from the streets.” The man wore a mixture of yellow and purple fabric clothing, and faced an arrogant smile. 

Jordan rushed towards Jason, helping him up—he glared at the man, “Maybe you should watch where you’re going.” 

“It’s ok, I'll be fine.” Jason tried to reassure him but failed. 

He ignored him, continuing to venomously stare at the man in front of them. 

“And you are?” The tall man’s eyes shifted to him.

The colors he wore—the jewelry he fashioned, he studied the man in front of him. Types like this were familiar to him. He could tell from his stance and the way he carried himself alone that he came from a privileged family. It would be his pleasure to humble him.

“Jordan, and you are?” He mimicked his stance, he gaze meeting him at the eyes.  

Jordan was glossed up and down by the man's eyes, as he scoffed. “I am noble Ivel Lain, son of Duke Serge Lain.” He raised his chest slightly—chin pointed to the air. Jordan only looked at him blankly. 

“Sorry,” Jordan scratched his head—“Doesn’t ring a bell. Regardless I don’t care who you are—you knocked my friend down; I think an apology is in order.” 

Jason cleaned the dusk from the clothes, “That really isn’t necessary—”

“No it absolutely is,” Jordan said, cutting off Jason. 

“As if,” Ivel huffed. “My excess oxygen should be a source of gratitude for you low-class citizens. You will receive a personal lesson in manners if you speak out of place again.”

His temper had finally snapped. He knew he had a trigger for these kinds of people—people who flexed power that wasn’t theirs. People who were born with a silver spoon up their ass, taking whatever they wanted just because they could. He’d been on the receiving end too many times of these pricks. No more.

He smirked. “My sir,” He sarcastically bowed. “I would appreciate a lesson in manners so I can return the favor with a lesson in hairstyling.” He smiled poisonously.  

Ivel’s face turned a deep red, his eyes dark. “If a lesson is what you want, you shall be paid in kind.” He raised his arm—a bright fire appearing at the palm of his hands. 

Jordans eyes widened as a fireball flew past his face, barely missing its target. He looked towards the arrogant man. Was he crazy? Looking around, a crowd was beginning to form a circle around them. Ivel stood calmly, his chest high—same stance from before. He wanted to put on a show. So be it. 

He walked back into the circle, glaring at the man. 

“Oh?” Ivel dramatically waved his hand towards him—”Seems like the peasant boy is a fool after all.” He lowered his voice, deviously grinning “You should have run, now you will made an example.” 

As he shot another fireball, Jordan dodged to the side—immediately having to dodge again once another flaming ball landed at his position. Sweat dropped on his forehead as he kept evading fireballs one after another. Meanwhile Ivel looked as calm as ever. He wore the same grin as-always and fire continued brimming at the palms of his hands. Was this the power of the nobles?

“Has the cat got your tongue? Where was all the confidence you had before?” His cocky voice boomed. “I mean—” He laughed loudly—”You haven’t even used a single spell yet!” Ivel covered his mouth, snickering, obviously trying his best to put on a show, “Just how weak are you?” The crowd roared with laughter. 

He bit his lip, cursing; he’d been so focused on dodging he never thought to use a spell. The stress was getting to him. The fireballs never stopped coming and he never stopped avoiding them. This time instead of dodging he grit his teeth remembering a spell he learned in class: earth manipulation. The fireball raced towards him—pulling from the earth below he raised his hand, a dirt wall appeared just in time blocking the blow. 

 “Seems like the rat has some fight,” Ivel charged a larger fireball, thrusting it and destroying his dirt wall. “But a rat will always be a rat,” Jordan dodged, but the fireball grazed him, tearing through his clothes and burning the brown skin underneath. 

“Jordan!” Jason shot out from the crowd, crouching down to help him. “I got you, I’ll help.” Jordan could feel him tensing up. 

“No,” He looked up towards his best friend. This wasn’t just about him now, it was about Jordan—not his pride, but his dignity. He vowed to not be pushed over, he worked hard so he wouldn’t be weak. He wouldn’t stop until he dropped, “I got this, just watch,” He flashed an unconvincing smile to Jason. 

It was evident Jason did not believe what he said, but he was grateful when he returned to the crowd. This fight today is against the manifestation of his past; he would defeat it this time—he didn’t have a choice. This would be a victory not only for himself, but for the inner child within him who was unable to protect himself before. 

Rising from his kneel, a new determination dawned upon his face. 

He summoned his own fireball but it was quickly dissipated by the man's larger and stronger fire. A barrage of heat swelled the air as they battled. He felt himself getting whittled down with each encounter—adrenaline worked over-time to stop the pain that crept inside him. They soon fell into a tempo of magic as they threw everything they both had at each other. 

There’s no use in trying to beat an obvious fire mage with fire, so he switched tactics. He only knew so much from what he learned in class but he tried to be creative and use whatever else he could. People around him gasped when he drew from the water in their cups, swirling it around him and launching it at Ivel. That was quickly defeated however. 

Again, he drew from the earth—blocking a larger blow: He couldn’t continue going on like this. It was obvious how amaetur he was in his movements and his magic—while Ivel was poised and in control. 

“This is beginning to get boring,” Ivel yawned. “I got this—” He exclaimed, chest rising dramatically. “Isn’t that what you said to your little friend here? Please tell me,” He threw a larger fireball, breaking my defenses. “What about this do you have?”

Jordan was trying his hardest but it wasn’t enough; it never was. He began to summon another earthwall as the fireball approached—suddenly, he was struck in the side. He looked down—blood filled his sights.  

“You didn’t think fire was all I had, did you?” The cocky smile once again appeared on Ivel’s face. “What a shame,” He attacked Jordan relentlessly. “Your mother should’ve taught you some manners, boy.” He continued to trash him, “Oh how I feel pity for your parents—what a disgraceful child.” 

Jordan's mind reeled, things began to slow. He felt his stomach burn; it was clear he was seriously running out of mana. He needed to do something fast. The man’s words hurt but it wasn’t anything he hadn’t heard before. Dealing with people like him when he was younger conditioned him to this kind of taunting trick. 

Ivel stopped and scratched his chin, “Alison… yes I do remember her.” 

Jordan froze. 

“When I first laid my eyes upon you I noticed some similarities, but seeing the way you look now… “ He paused, looking at Jordan up and down. “It was a shame she had to die, truly—if only she and her husband stayed in their place.”

Jordan's heart caught in his throat, “W-What are you talking about?” His mind raced, breath turning sharp. Ivel only stood in silence. “Tell me!” 

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Ivel smirked, adjusting his fabric. “Let's just say it wasn’t I who killed them—well if you count indirectly—it was someone, something else.” He opened his arms wide, “I just played my part.” Jordan grabbed at his heart, trying to stop the burn, Ivel giggled to himself, “How lucky of me to find her son, I can finally put an end to the wretched bloodline.”

H-He helped murdered them. He was the reason he grew up in the orphanage, the reason he almost starved every winter—the reason he never had a family. Tears burned inside his eyes as he continued clutching his chest, falling to his knees. His mouth the desert while his eyes the ocean—his emotions clashed against themselves. Through blurry eyes he looked up at the man—a heat slowly building inside him. 

“Well this was fun,” Ivel charged a fireball larger than any he had before. “At first I had only sought out to knock you out but now—” He smirked—”you have to go.” 

Jordan could only watch as the massive fireball grew larger and larger. The crowd around began to back up—too scared to be closer, but not scared enough to stop watching. He noticed Jason trying to jump into the battle to help, but someone was holding him back. His vision was obscured by a robe covering the face of the man who was. No one else even tried to stop Ivel, maybe they all knew it was worthless.

 His body covered in dirt and blood littered the ground. Perhaps Ivel was right. He wouldn’t be in this position if he was strong enough. His body relaxed and his arms dropped. With his fate accepted he followed this ball of light as it left Ivel’s hands and flew towards him—he closed his eyes. 

No. He opened his eyes, he wouldn’t go out like this. He promised to himself he wouldn’t lose. His mind went back to his parents—heartbreak echoed through his being. A burning anger replaced his sadness. He wouldn’t let the person who helped murder his parents live. Tightening his jaw, at the last second before the fireball hit—closing his eyes, he threw his arms up—hoping for the best. He felt a slight pressure and opened his eyes. What… ? In front of him was a circular-like barrier made of red wisps covering him. The bloody and battered body he once wore was restored, not a scar in sight. 

An intense energy coursed through his veins, as he eyes made his way to the shock-ridden man that stood before him. 

“How did you… “ Ivel spoke, staring at Jordan with wide eyes. Ivel’s stance quickly changed back into his cocky tone, “No matter. Little trick might have saved you, but there won’t be a second time.” 

Jordan looked down at his hands, as crimson energy caressed his palms—waiting for command, he looked back towards Ivel. It was as if his senses were razor sharp; he could feel the man's mana building again, and soon he was surrounded by a heatwave.

Opening his palm, a fire shaped like a spear materialized in Ivel’s hands. “Do say hello to your mother and father for me.” He grinned, thrusting the spear towards Jordan. 

The spear approached him like a bullet, but he instinctively waved his hand completely snuffing out the fire. He looked up as Ivel’s face turned into disbelief. Normally, he would have smiled, but his rage consumed his entire body—he no longer was in control. Energy flowing in uncontrollable waves. He acted with thinking, red wisps ripped the earth—carrying a large rock, he launched it at Ivel. He watched him use a stronger version of earthwall to block the attack. It wouldn’t do him any good. 

Jordan reached out his hand and shot at his target. A chaos infused fireball rushed towards the man at neck-breaking speeds. Ivel threw down another one of his earthwall’s, but Jordans chaos fire decimated it completely. He could feel his eyes glowing a bright red as he began walking towards his target. 

Jordan only continued walking as he watched the fireballs bounce off his barrier. He tuned out the rest of the world, nothing else mattered but this. 

Jordan’s barrier—unbothered by the constant attacks caused Ivel to yell, “What the hell are you?!” His face turned red, “You’re supposed to be trash!” He huffed, “Y-You’re pathetic just like your—”

“Shut up.” Jordan waved his hand, the man’s mouth disappeared. Causing Ivel to scream frantically—hands clawing at were his mouth used to be. Flexing his fingers, Jordan made the man rise—pulling him closer with his energy. He whispered, “What was that?” He smiled without emotion, his voice an octave deeper. “Has the cat got your tongue?” Before throwing the man into a building.

The loud crashing sounds only felt like background noise as he focused on his target. Making him rise again, he continued to bash the flailing man into the ground until he was nothing but a blubbering mess. He wiggled his fingers—chaos energy gathered at Ivel’s throat. 

Jordan watched in silence as the man struggled to breath, he was going to end it—make him pay for everything he’d done. But before he could something hard hit him behind his neck. Darkness filled his vision, and he dropped.

0