Chapter 6: its a trap!
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I never thought that I would worry about such a thing here.

After we found an inn, I tested Lapiz to see her intelligence level. What I saw from her was so surprising that the word shock was an understatement.

I accidentally let out my aura from just pure disbelief which immediately surprised and maybe even made Lapiz nervous.

That's when I realised that she was still a child. She is smart and mature but she is still a kid in the end. 

These reasons made me run here where I could possibly find the answers that I have longed for. This type of building also has a special place in my mind, it's not a great one though.

"Oh library, my good old friend. I came to have a rematch. I'll settle the score once and for all!!!" I shouted which made me garner attention from my surroundings. That is to be expected though since I'm shouting at 7 pm. 

I went inside with a serious face but a thin presence. When I was still a mortal, this is where my friend and I hang out from time to time. Books were never my thing so entering this place has never crossed my mind unless there is an outside force.

In the past, the outside force I was talking about was my friend. 

He would always come to libraries to study magic and I always reluctantly enter it. Not gonna lie though I learned a lot from it.

The books were divided into sections in a hierarchical order.

I went to the D section. The D section is where commoners and servant books are. There should be a book about kids here if I'm not mistaken.

The books that I saw ranged from how to properly clean a table to everything you need to learn about cleaning mansions.

"Found it!" I exclaimed.

It was a book called how to properly take care of a child around 10~15 years old without making them hate you by Arthur Noir.

Yeah, it was a pretty long title and very specific but I know I can trust it mainly because of the author of this.

Arthur huh? What a nostalgic name.

The book was also pretty old, maybe around 600~700 years old but the contents are not to be joked about. 

I went to the librarian to let him know that I borrowed a book and he just nodded. Seeing that there are no problems I went out of the library with a rather anti-climatic ending.

Having these reactions was normal because of my aura. 

I went into a back alley and tried to read the book there secretly. Reading maybe around a quarter of it made me understand the mind of a child a little bit. It still can't help though.

This is all very useful to a normal child. Problem is Lapiz isn't a normal one. I could probably apply this to Lapiz but I doubt that it would work one bit. 

"Sigh, I guess I'll follow this book but for now," I said to myself.

"Now then," I looked above me. "I guess You all should reveal yourselves, WEAKLINGS!!!" I shouted which made a tremendous shockwave that shook the whole town.

"Ho, to think that someone felt us huh?" Someone said from the shadows.

He wears a black cloak similar to mine. His age is maybe around 20~30 years old based on his body size. He also brought some friends with him. 14 to be exact. He also seems to be the leader based on his actions till now.

"How did you find us?" He asked with a genuine question.

"Dunno, maybe because you all are just bad at hiding?" I taunted which immediately made him frown.

"Kill," he said one word and two assassins suddenly jumped at me from the rooftop.

"Wind: Amicus!" 

The two people that attacked me were suddenly blown away by my spell. It was simple really, I just redirected their attack.

"Wind: dash!"

"Earth: shake!"

Two assassins rushed to my position and cast two different spells. One is to dash toward me while the other one is to break my balance.

However...

"Too naive!"

I prepared my stance and blew them away with my aura. That didn't seem to work though as they still marched towards me at an incredible speed.

The wind assassin threw a knife from his pocket while he was running while the other guy is preparing something.

There are also two guys at the back casting a spell, three assassins stationed in the walls behind me, and three enemies helping the guys that I threw at our first confrontation.

They're very good at cooperation. No one becomes a burden and is not doing their role properly. It's as if there were programmed to do it. Still though...

"Weak!" I shouted as I deflect the knife and punched the air directly at the assassin.

"Earth: Wall!"

"Too late, Wind: percutiens!"

The air punch that I made suddenly changed direction and hit the earth assassin. The wind assassin seems to be unaffected by it and engaged me in close combat.

His knife skills are sharp and precise with me only dodging it in the last second. He also always targets me in my vital spots meaning he is trying to kill me right here.

""Light: snipe!""

"""Shadow: dark bind!!!"""

The three assassins cast shadow magic to immobilise me and the two at the rear fired noble-grade light magic while the wind assassin runs away on time.

They already planned the whole process huh? That's an impressive feat. However...

"Tenant: reflection!"

The light magic that collided with me made a huge explosion that destroyed every building around us. This also created a large amount of smoke around me which obstructed my line of sight a bit.

"Aura: detect!"

I used my aura to detect my surrounding to see where my enemies were. Little did I know one of them is already right in front of me. It was the leader.

"Light: celeritas"

He punched my head at light speed resulting to even more destruction and explosion that was likely heard throughout the whole town and maybe even outside of it.

He's fast and strong. Usually, there is no way of going at light speed without your body getting destroyed. There is some exception to this rule though such as... Coating yourself with mana.

"Wind: hasta Aeris!"

Two wind spears suddenly attacked him from behind me causing him to fall back immediately.

The two wind spears followed his track wherever he goes as if they were a tracker of some sort. 

The last two assassins seem to have noticed this and went to his location to block the spears with their body.

They're crazy. They must be some disposable pawns of some sort.

This action gave the leader some time to activate his spell which from what I see from it, was a high-ranking one.

"Light: terra Sancta"

"I can't let you do that, wind: Caeli remotionem!"

I tried to destroy his spell but alas, it was too late.

A ray of light engulfed the whole town with me In it. It seems to be a barrier that restrains me in one specific spot which is the town.

The assailants seem to have also run away after they have cast their spell which meant that this was their plan all along.

This amount of mana is almost impossible to achieve by mere mortals unless...

So they tried to bait me into using my tenant huh? 

Tenant, also known as unique magic, is a very costly technique. Every time someone uses a tenant they would always likely to release powerful mana out of their body. This would also mean that they planned to absorb my mana to use this kind of magic. 

My mana also has holy properties in it which immediately makes it incompatible with others' magic unless that specific magic already has holy and sacred properties in it.

Damn it, I got carried away there huh? Should've prepared for it. Sigh, guess I'll have to summon him then.

"Summon: Servant!"

A white light appeared right in front of me summoning a man who looked like some kind of butler. 

"What could I be of service to you, master?" He asked with an elegant bow.

His eyes were coloured grey and his hair has the colour black. He also has a moustache of course.

"Fidus, protect a child named Lapiz. You should also accompany her for a bit."

He looked at me with a strange expression before nodding and disappearing instantly.

This magic that the enemy cast is still very strong. Maybe I could break it around 2-3 hours give or take. Though everything said above, there is still one question that is bothering me the most...

Why did they just run away?

1