0. The Prologue for Context (easily skippable)
380 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inquisitor Leria, the Herald of Andraste and lord of Skyhold, stood atop a cliff overlooking the stormy sea. A sudden gust of wind blew back the hood of her cloak, allowing her silver hair to rustle in the wind, revealing her pointy elven ears. They didn’t call it the Storm Coast for nothing. She pulled her hood back up and turned away from the cliff, heading into the brush behind her.

It’s been a while since she’d been here. Having cleared the area of bandits, rifts, red templars and even a high dragon, there was little reason for her to come here personally. Hell, things have been so quiet they didn’t even need to keep more than the bare minimum of a few inquisition scouts in the area.

Leria cleared through the brush and shortly came upon a waterfall and a stream flowing down to the coast below. A lone tent and a fire by the waterfall marked the spot she chose to camp. She stepped toward the fire and checked on a small fish she caught earlier that was roasting nicely over the soft flames.

“Almost done,” she whispered to herself in satisfaction.

It was Blackwall that taught her how to catch and roast her own fish the last time she was here. She considered bringing him with her when she chose the spot for her vacation, but decided she needed a break from everything, even the steamy nights at the stable with her favorite grey warden.

Of course, Cullen and Cassandra were vehemently against her coming here alone. At a bare minimum they wanted her to take a faithful Mabari hound with her and check in with the local scouts to let them know she was staying in the area.

But Leria wanted complete peace and quiet. She needed a break from the castle, and the scouts and her companions, and all those yesmen telling her how amazing she was every minute of the day. She needed some time to herself. Not that it stopped Cullen getting Leliana to send someone to follow her, whom she already gave the slip to. No one was going to interrupt the herald’s alone time.

Leria wasn’t worried in the slightest. The seasoned mage felled monsters that few even knew existed, not to mention a half dozen mature high dragons, and the Storm Coast was already quite pacified. There was nothing here that she couldn’t easily deal with. She already wrestled her current camping spot from a large brown bear and it was unlikely anything on her vacation would top that.

It was a rare clear day at the Storm Coast. The sun, which was now coming down over the trees, began to bask the camp in its warmth and even the winds quieted down.

Leria removed her cloak and basked in the sunlight. She wasn’t wearing her usual battle gear, choosing instead to only take her staff and wear the light inquisition scout armor to keep a low profile on the off chance some scout did stumble upon her camp. The last thing she wanted was some rank and file inquisition sycophant bothering her for an autograph or the like.

She examined her slowly roasting fish. There was still a bit more time before it was just right. She looked at the water, calmly flowing past her camp and then at her dirty armor.

She smiled. “Yeah, I think it’s time for a bath.”

4