Prologue
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

           The world has two different realities: one where humans are living and going on with their lives, and a world where creatures labelled “monsters” by some people in fiction, movies or shows, but by groups of people specialized in hunting are labelling them as criminals. Things from the second side of the world are often coming to the human’s world to either eat people, destroy the things surrounding them and create chaos all around the world.

           Luckily, there are people that are mostly half-humans-half-monsters, who are able to calm things, send the creatures back to their world, and make the world a better living space. The teams who are ordered to do this are known as Hunters, and their tasks are sending monsters back to their world, killing them if it is necessary, and protecting the people from the first world.

           In all of the world, monsters can appear at any time, any period and anywhere. There are devices that are frequently used by Hunters to detect the monsters, catch them and throw them back to their dimension before the mass media come and create panic like it always does.

           The “monsters” have appeared since the down of the mankind. Still, even after almost 3000 years, there is nothing that can reveal how monsters appeared, or what is the reason. Monsters have just once come to this world and created destruction, and participated in some events of humankind, such as the World Wars, Punic Wars, Medieval wars, the Holy Roman Empire. In every human event, there has been a monster or two that were either disguised as humans or participated in the event.

           Hunters is a secret organization established a long time ago, almost 2000 years ago, when a big attack happened on Pompeii. There were only two people there. They were half-human-half-monsters, and their first battle was against a mountain monster that had created the incident at Pompeii. They killed the creature in three hours of intense fighting, but they failed to rescue the people from that region. The two hunters are known in the history of Hunters Team as Trubar, the half-human-half-phoenix spear fighter, and Rakut, the half-human-half-werewolf sword fighter. The two warriors are the ones who have started this organization, and later on, the small organization will become big enough to cover the entire world and save them from the wrath of creatures.

           Their first order was to keep or send the creatures back to their dimension. Later, they get the orders to save the human species, and finally, keep their identity hidden from the people of the first dimension. And for almost 3000 years, they have been doing a good job.

           ***     

           In the year of 2015, on a rainy September night, in Brighton, a teenage girl is standing at the bus station she is always going to after she finishes her high school day. The girl is by herself as usual at the bus stop, but today she stopped feeling down because she had a terrible day.

           The first bad thing that happened to her was a bad grade in a school subject she hates, Mathematics, and she already has three grades of 4’s. A second bad thing that happened to her was the fact she left her sports clothes at her home, and she had to skip that class. A third bad thing is about her launch. She packed for herself a sandwich with expired bread and expired salami because she was running late. And now, the fourth thing is this rainy day, and she didn’t bring her umbrella along to her school.

           “I sure am going to have a bad day.” says the teenage girl to herself, and looking at the street, where countless cars are passing by the bus stop.

           As she stood there and continued to look at her surroundings, she got a call from her mother via her phone. The girl picks up the phone, puts it on her ear and says,

           “Hello, mother!”

           “Hello, dear! How are you?” asked his mother on the phone.

           “I am at the bus stop. Waiting for the bus. You?”

           “At house. Dear, can you go to the market and buy some things for me? I need it to prepare dinner. Please.”

           “Mother, but I- “

           “Carmen.” says her mother on the phone with a voice tone to her daughter, whose name is Carmen.

           “Ah. Fine. What should I buy?”

           “I already sent you a photo with the list on Messenger.”

           “Okay. But money?”

           “Money?” asked his mother. “You don’t have any money?”

           “Yes. I have, but only on a credit card.”

           “Good. I will be giving you back later.”

           “Alright. See you at home.”

           “Likewise, dear.”

           And Carmen's mother ended the call.

           Carmen sighs, puts her phone back into her pocket, takes the wallet from the other pocket, and checks its contents. She thankfully still has the credit card in her possession, and, physically, money, she only has about ten pounds. Carmen leaves the bus stop, and heads to the closest market she can enter on this rainy night.

***

            Meanwhile, on the streets of Brighton, a boy, dressed weirdly, with a top hat, a pair of yellow glasses, a large hood, and having on his back tied a big crossbow, is running in the streets, like he is chasing something, or it is being chased by someone. The boy looks like a teenager, the same age as the girl from earlier. We can easily see he is stronger in his physique and appearance, which can determine whether he is an athlete. He is wearing a pair of dirty boots, probably from the mud and rain that was on that night.

           The boy continued to run, dodging people who were on their way, jumping over some cars who were parked on his way, and he slid down the road to go under the truck trailer, which he managed to escape without an injury, and he continued his running.

           “Where was the fucking ghost when I needed him?” says the boy, continuing running and feeling already tired. “He should’ve appeared now.”

           “Kyle!” says a voice coming from somewhere.

           The boy runs, and he stays still. He looked around him, trying to find the source of the voice that had just called his name. Then, something comes through the wall next to a building, it is a ghost, like the ones described in the mass media and novels. That ghost looks like a human, dressed in 19th century clothes, but wearing a cowboy hat and presenting no sign of facial hair.

           The boy saw the ghost, and he looked angrily at it.

           “Where have you been?”

           “Searching for the target, my boy.” says the ghost with a fake accent.

           “Weren’t you looking at porn magazines like you always do?”

           “Me? No, fine man. I wouldn’t do something like that.” responds the ghost.

           Kyle, the boy, sighs at this, and decides to ask the ghost one of the most critical questions.

           “Have you found the target?”

           “Yes. I can feel his presence on the backside of a building called “Market”. At least, that’s what it said on a big sign as I was reading it.”

           “Oh, no.” says Kyle, feeling stressed. “Where is that building?”

           “At three minutes from here, I think.”

           “Let’s go! Before it will be too late!” says Kyle to the ghost.

           The ghost proceeds to go through the wall of the building, and Kyle, decides to enter the building's property, not the interior, and run straight ahead until he gets to the building where his target is located. He ran to the first building door, and then to the exit door. After that, he passes the following three buildings, and runs to the road where cars are navigating, dodging every car like it is nothing for him and only a normal job for him.

***

A few minutes later, Carmen had left the supermarket, with a bag with the things she had to buy in order to deliver them to her house, where her mother was cooking something absolutely tasty. She bought a few carrots, onions, tomatoes, meat, cheese and some spaghetti. Carmen thought that her mother would probably make spaghetti, a meal which Carmen really liked. She also bought an umbrella because of this rainy night which seemed to not end soon.

           The moment Carmen made four steps out of the store, she heard a strange noise in the back alley of the store she visited and took the items. Carmen was curious to see what that noise was, since it sounded like the throwing of something metallic into the cement or the building wall. She closely approached the wall and looked at the trash can where someone was there and searching for something.

           Because of the rain and of the night, Carmen thought that person was probably a homeless human. She looked at the thing who was still looking in that trash can like a wild animal. Carmen felt a bit scared because that figure looked for a moment at Carmen, and threw the trash can on the ground. And looks at her, then he slowly approaches her.

           Carmen looked horrified at the thing who was slowly approaching her. And with every step the creature is taking, a light from outside helps her distinguish the real identity of the creature. She looks shocked and doesn't believe the living being in front of her is a mythical creature that can only be found in fictional books as the name of Werewolf. But, she didn’t know this breed of werewolf is something far more complex than a normal werewolf from a fantasy fiction novel written on eBooks or for young kids to read at the nearest bookstore.

           “You human?” asks the green werewolf, looking at Carmen with a menacing gaze.

           “H-H-Ha…AHHH!” she screamed Carmen, overwhelmed by this fear, and running away from the scene, with the bag in her hand.

           The green werewolf observed the bag, then, his eyes became red, he puts his hands on his head, and he says as he moves like an ex-soldier dealing with PTSD: “Must! Control! MY-MYSELF!”. And he made a loud howl before he runs after the Carmen on his four legs.

           The creature ran after Carmen for not even five seconds, before he managed to pin her down, and looked at it with hungry eyes. The werewolf, as he holds Carmen down, looks at the bag and he eats it, making Carmen feel scared and acting without thinking. She hit the creature's chest with her left leg, and this made the creature scream, and made a small scratch on Carmen's right arm, which made her yell out of pain. But the green werewolf didn’t care about Carmen screaming for “Help!” or crying, he was digging into the bag Carmen was carrying the stuff her mother needed it to make spaghetti or any other dish that required the things they had listed earlier. 

           The green werewolf, as he almost finished eating the contents of the bag, he sees on his right something. But, before he was able to react to it and dodge it in time, he got hit by an arrow that hit his back, and made the creature jump from Carmen's body, leaving her free, frightened and sweating by bullets.

           Carmen was starting to lose consciousness, but before this was about to happen, somebody came to her, a teenage boy of her age, with a crossbow on his back. He looked at it, frightened and he said to somebody.

           “Go and call Louis, Lucian!”

           “On it!” said the person named Lucian. The boy looked at the back of his, indicating that a “guy” named Lucian was at his back.

           “H-H-Help…me.” said Carmen before she lost consciousness for almost an hour and half.

0