Chapter 18: A Thousand Autumns Begets the Aid of a Small Road
447 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Horikita and Hirata were out, and before classes started, Yukio decided to lower the risk of information spreading. 

‘At the end of the day, information will inevitably spread, but I’m not too worried because the truly capable would have worked out, or will soon work out the nature of the school anyway.’

“Can I have everyone’s attention please?”

Yukio called out from his seat. Located in the central row, he found it slightly inconvenient to face everyone and speak at the same time. 

The students who were about to engage in their own conversations after the private point fiasco looked towards him, wondering what bomb would be dropped on them now. 

“Sorry to intrude on your time, I know this hour has been pretty hectic, so I won’t take too long.”

He began since there was no need to earn the ire of his fellow classmates. 

“I just wanted to remind everyone about an important thing- to keep quiet about what’s happened today. My experience at this school has been great, but I have, at least when the second month came around, been at the end of abuse from the other classes and seniors too.”

A lot of students perked up at what he was discussing, with the idiot trio being particularly vocal about their agreements. 

“I’ve seen it happen to others in the class. Maybe not the girls so much…” 

He grinned, with many of the boys understanding what he meant.

“…but as a class, we shouldn’t give something for the others to attack. I think you all can imagine what spreading news about Sudou’s expulsion and the way we dealt with it will entail for us as class D students.” 

With everyone having thoughtful looks, Karuizawa’s words brought them out of their reverie and put a stronger emphasis on what Yukio was saying. 

“I agree Yukio-Kun. I don’t know about the abuse… but I think you’re right!”

“Yeah, Yukio-Kun is so smart!”

“Um, yes, thank you Kei-Chan and Maya-Chan. So we’ll keep everything including the 200,000 settlement under wraps, okay?”

And with the collective nods of the class, with a few stink eyes from the boys who were annoyed at Yukio’s apparent popularity, which was only behind Hirata’s in the class, Yukio sat down. 

‘What the hell? Well, whatever. All’s well that ends well. I’m glad that developing a friendship with Karuizawa and her posse didn’t go to waste this past couple of months.’

And with the power of friendship and a more united class, the day continued as normal.

— — — 

Elsewhere, Sae was entertaining the duo that came with the required points to prevent Sudou’s expulsion. 

‘This situation… it makes me wonder how far into the future Yukio has planned. Was it worth divulging those clues to Ayanokouji and possibly antagonising Yukio? But I still want that boy under my thumb. Would it be worthwhile pitting Ayanokouji against Yukio? I haven’t even got anything to force Ayanokouji with. Haa… this is troubling.’

The woman had been intentionally dropping hints in the classroom and wording her phrases in an ambiguous way to elicit doubts in her pupils, but right now she was thinking of whether the actions would backfire on her. 

Sae thought back to Sudou’s English midterm and his result in the paper compared to the others he sat. Despite scoring decent marks across his four other papers, his English result was comparatively lower. She even had to give him an extra mark to bring him up to a satisfactory level. 

‘Did he even plan for Sudou to fail the English exam? The thought… is terrifying. How deep has he sunk his fingers into the class? And he has kept it so overwhelmingly under wraps- to an extent that even I have not realised.’

Making assumptions in her mind about Yukio’s prowess, she revoked the expulsion issue from Sudou’s records, while sending Horikita, another interesting but ultimately immature individual, away. 

‘For now, I won’t antagonise him. But if over the year I can find some incriminating material on him, I’ll jump at the first opportunity to do so. I need him. For my goals… I will do anything to achieve them.’

And while stewing in her sinister plots against a student of her class, the day continued, with several others having thoughts about the foreign-looking boy as well.

— — — 

‘An enemy… or an ally?’

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji, the boy bred in the white room and the first success of the project was thinking deeply about his abnormal classmate. 

‘His intervention points towards a plot of nefarious intent, however his subtle actions, demeanour and speech all point towards benefitting the class. Even raising the private points requirement for the mark in the exam has ultimately brought the class closer together.’

Turning his gaze away from Yukio, the 4th generation genius looked toward the most popular boy of class D, and the boyfriend of the most popular girl in the class- Kei Karuizawa, sitting several seats ahead of him. 

‘Yosuke Hirata. Yukio said he was an envoy of Yosuke’s will, but is it truly the case that it’s the other way around? Or is he manipulating him without his knowledge? And who else is he manipulating?’

Looking around the classroom focusing on the first lesson of the day, Ayanokouji looked at Horikita beside him. 

The girl, despite her arrogance, had at least acknowledged the need to participate in the class’s problems.

‘She, who was indifferent to the plights of her classmates, now selflessly contributes towards them. I look forward to seeing how she grows in the future. A sister who is antagonised by her kin. Very interesting.’

The son of the professor pondered more over his inferences and observations disregarding the rambling of the teacher, delivering knowledge he had already learnt years ago. 

‘For now, I’ll count him as a class D ally. What will he do in the future, I wonder?’

— — — 

“Kouenji is too egotistical! It grates on my nerves.”

Nene began, during the small break between classes. 

“Yeah, things might have fallen apart if Horikita-San hadn’t stepped in.”

Replied Yukio, almost wistfully, but with a hint of admiration. 

Chiaki added her two pence to the conversation, recalling the adamant refusal of Kouenji to contribute towards a cause that he felt was ‘beneath’ him, just as he had done on the bus to ANHS.

‘I’ve got to give credit to Horikita. I didn’t think she had it within her to act so altruistically. For all that prickly, reclusive behaviour these past couple of months, she is a gem for class D.’

Chiaki looked back at Horikita and then glanced at the brown-haired boy sitting beside the serious girl.

‘I feel it’s a bit odd that he was out at the same time as Horikita. Unlike her though, that guy is very inconspicuous. Handsome, but too gloomy at the same time. Whatever, it was probably a coincidence. And well… if my facts are correct, he’s quite awkward socially. Haa… that reminds me of another boy in this class.’

Chiaki looked back at her duo of friends interacting cheerfully. Yukio had always been on her radar and today’s play had just raised her evaluation of him. 

‘I’m sure of it… it was he who egged Hirata into convincing the class to save Sudou. He casually mentioned Sudou’s sports capability and suddenly Hirata has an insight. I think not…’

She turned over the hour that was homeroom in her head several times, thinking about ways to go about confirming her ideas later on. 

‘The mystery surrounding him is quite frustrating. It just makes me want to dig deeper into the brain that is Yukio’s. The uncertainty- not knowing what he’s cooked up, is alluring. At this rate… I don’t even know.’

With Chiaki confused about her inner thoughts, the classes continued with everyone in a celebratory mood.

— — —

“Hey, Hirata-Kun.”

Hirata turned back to the voice that called out to him just as he was leaving the class. Today, the girls had planned to go to Pallet café to celebrate, but he was slightly exhausted so he asked them to go without him.

‘I hope it’s not another invitation. No! It might be something important. Let me hear them out at least.’

With his messiah complex naturally kicking in, he noticed it was Chiaki who had called him.

“Hey… Matsushita? It’s a bit unusual for you to call out to me. Is there anything you need?”

“Oh, ha, I guess so. Even though we’re in the same friendship group we don’t interact much, do we? Anyways Hirata I had a question about something you said earlier today.”

Hirata listened attentively as this was one of his close friend’s-Yukio’s best friends. 

“About earlier today? Would you like me to clarify something for you, Matsushita?”

“Not so much clearer. I just wanted to know how you knew about sportsmen being able to earn class points.”

Hirata looked at his classmate blankly. 

‘That’s odd. I feel slightly reluctant to tell her about Yukio’s information because it might paint him in a bad light if everything turns out to be false. I’d rather take the fall for him.’

“Oh, oh. I just… heard of it from an… upperclassman in my club. Yeah.”

Hirata replied hesitantly. He didn’t feel great lying to someone, no matter how trivial the situation. 

“Hirata-Kun? Why do I feel like you’re being untruthful? I heard something about it from Yukio-Kun the other day. Did you hear it from him too?”

Hirata deflated at her probe. 

‘Well, they are close friends, so it shouldn’t hurt to tell her, should it? Plus, he seems to have told her the gist of it anyway.’

“Yep, you’re right Matsushita. I’m very sorry for having lied. I hope you understand why I did so.”

Hirata spotted a look of understanding flash across her face, but it disappeared before he could even form thoughts on it. 

“Haha, no worries. I’m glad Yukio-Kun has a great friend like you. I’ll see you around, Hirata-Kun.”

Hirata watched her back as she walked away, before shaking his head clear of thoughts and walking back to his dorm room. 

— — —

‘So he is manipulating Hirata, huh? His ‘good’ friend. Does that mean he’s manipulating Nene and me too?’

Chiaki thought as she made her way to the cafeteria where she had sent Yukio and Nene ahead of her. 

‘The thought… it should make me annoyed or frustrated. I should be angry at the boy who looks socially awkward but hides another face behind a mask. And yet… why do I feel so… excited?’

She, lost in her thoughts, hadn’t realised that the huge smile that grew upon her face had frightened several of the other students making their way towards the cafeteria. 

— — — 

Yukio was about to lift a rice ball from his bento when a shiver ran down his spine. 

‘What is this weird feeling?’

“What’s wrong Yukio-Kun?”

“Mh, it’s nothing Nene. I wonder when Chiaki is going to get here.”

— — — — — —

Favourite if you enjoyed!

How do I gain exposure/recognition on Scribblehub? Or is consistently posting enough to draw an audience?

14