Chapter 11 – Training Goes Wrong
74 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William stared directly into Selene's large surreal eyes and said with an underlying sadness, "Here I thought we were family. So the reason you secretly watched me is that you think I am an evil person…"

"You must be insane to think you can fool me." Selene clicked her tongue then released her hand from William's neck and went her way.

…What she said, 'Do you know how many lives could've been lost?', does… does that mean I'm the one that caused the explosion? William thought as he struggled back to his room.

William wore a sad expression as he lampooned …Why does she hate me so much anyway? Just because of my hair color? What's the reason for these people to think that hair color other than the norm makes the person cursed? I knew it. Everyone in this world is crazy…

❈ ❈ ❈

The next day, right after breakfast, Viscount Maxton took William to the back of the manor and erected three dummies on the field.

No amount of words could express the joy William was currently feeling as he stood beside his father and faced the wooden dummies.

"Liam, I am going to teach the Gentle Leaf Sword Style." Viscount Maxton declared. He was in a black Inverness overcoat with pointed, well-polished black shoes.

William nodded eagerly and said, "Yes, father. I have waited for this day my whole life."

"You're still young and your body hasn't developed well enough, therefore I cannot let you through the rigorous training regimen required to learn the Gentle Leaf Sword Style."

"Yes yes yes, father. I understand perfectly!" William was wearing a white cloak and the remaining visible parts of his body were covered in bandages.

"I have important duties to attend to, so I will show you what you are expected to imitate."

Viscount Maxton unsheathed his sword and added, "Stand back and watch closely."

William wasted no time in moving away. Viscount Maxton positioned right in front of the dummy at the left and in the next second, he sheathed his sword.

The dummy split apart into perfect vertical halves and landed with a thud.

…Is he, is he done?! I didn't see a thing! William cried out, "Father! I didn't see anything!"

"It doesn't matter. Just swing this wooden sword downward 1000 times every day for the next few months."

"What?! 1000?!"

"It will condition your muscles to be able to swing a sword properly. For the beginning part of swordsmanship it's best you learn it by trial and error to gain experience. Then I can teach properly teach you the sword skills, breathing techniques, and critical moves." Viscount Maxton didn't wait for William to reply before he started walking away to attend to his duties.

"Father! Wait!" William called out.

"I arranged some books for you in the greenhouse. Read and practice…" Viscount Maxton left.

"Damn. This isn't what I expected but how bad can this sort of training possibly be?" William, still covered in silk and gauze, picked up a wooden sword and started swinging despite the pains he felt all over his body.

Twelve minutes later…

"Ahhhhh! I've only swung this wooden sword fifty times and I feel like dying!" William weakly dropped to the ground.

…Should I just wait until I'm completely healed? Hopefully, I don't become disfigured for the rest of my life. Anyway, it all depends on how powerful holy water is when it comes to healing…

"Sigh, what am I doing slacking off at the start? I should read those books in the meantime." William got up and strolled to the greenhouse.

He read the books provided for him from cover to cover. Gilde brought him refreshments and forced him to take disgusting medicine. All the while, Selene watched him from a window on the upper floors of the manor.

At around four o'clock, Viscount Maxton returned home and met William in the greenhouse.

"Wise choice starting with reading the books." Viscount Maxton smiled weakly and patted William on the head.

"Father, you don't actually want to teach me anything, right?" William's hands that were holding the book tightened.

He raised his voice and yelled, "Half of the books here are filled with poorly drawn figures holding swords in different positions with no explanation! And the other half with poems and quotes about the wind! How in the world does that teach me how to fight vampires?!"

…He is joking with me! He still doesn't see how urgent I need to learn to fight! I need to spice things up!

Viscount Maxton sighed and shooked his head slightly, "You didn't read it we--"

Pa! William slapped Viscount Maxton's hand off his head and shouted, "Why don't you want to teach me properly?! Is it when I end up like my mother?!"

"Liam…"

William gnashed his teeth and his body shook slightly as he said, "I know… I know my mother was killed by a filthy vampire."

Viscount Maxton's face froze. Compared to any other facial expression he had ever shown this was the most intense. He stepped back a bit with his hand still in the air as he struggled to ask, "...How did you know?"

"I-I dream about it from time to time. It's a very hazy memory. But that's not the point, Father! I need to learn how to protect myself!" After speaking, William stood up and faced his father with a determination hidden within his eyes.

Viscount Maxton turned around to leave as he said, "Liam, you should go in and rest for now. We shall talk about this later."

William grabbed Viscount Maxton's hand and asked in all seriousness, "For how long?! How long, father?! I've been resting for days already! Do you know how it feels to be strangled to death and burnt to a crisp?! I need to learn how to protect myself!"

"We can talk about this after you've recovered." Viscount Maxton removed William's grip from his wrist with little to no effort and was about to walk away again.

…Sh*t! if I let him leave like this he won't still teach me! I-I have to do something! Quick!

"No!" William grabbed the helm of the back of his father's suit, "Don't you feel sorry for me?! Most especially regarding the fact that I was going to die because of you!"

Viscount Maxton was feeling a bit overwhelmed with William's constant pestering, he spoke loudly, "Calm down, son!"

"Don't call me your son! You're not my father!" William said off the top of his hat without thinking and immediately started regretting what he said when he noticed how visibly shaken Viscount Maxton was.

…Oh no, I went overboard with it… William quickly changed the direction of his words, "Y-You're not my father anymore if you don't teach me how to protect myself! It is equivalent to you leaving me to die…"

Viscount Maxton stared at William like he was about to say something but he just turned around and walked away.

William fell to his knees with tears in his eyes as he watched his father walk away. He raised his head to look at a particular window on the second floor of the manor.

Selene had watched the argument between father and son from the window on the second floor and calmly walked away after meeting William's gaze.

4