Chapter 1
32 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A sharp tone from the TV quiets down the bustle in the bar. Most patrons turn towards the small screen as the New California Republic representative walks out onto the stage and behind the podium. He clears his throat and smiles as he announces the basics of the lottery they all knew. Whoever has the winning number gets to take themselves and their family out of No Man’s Land and to the safety of Haven. Anyone interested in watching to see if they are a winner knows damn well why they want to get out of No Man’s Land.

 

“I heard some people fake their numbers.” The older man on the stool beside a woman speaks over the lip of his drink. He doesn’t seem to be particularly talking to anyone, as much as anyone who’d listen. “It’s first come, first serve.” He continues. “So, if someone fakes your number, you’re fucked.”

 

The woman glances over at him through the side of her brown eyes. He is still watching the TV intently as the representative rambles on.

 

“I met a family that got scammed. Had a little girl who was just born.” He shakes his balding head. “Sad story.”

 

She turns her attention back towards the TV as he began reading off the numbers. “42003-” She quickly tunes him out, as the numbers don’t match her own. She stands up from the barstool, and sets down a couple of 9mm bullets, paying for the stew before grabbing the leather duster hung over the chair and heading out the door.


The woman walks into the Ranger’s headquarters. The Rangers bustle around her, never having nothing to do. Many Rangers travel outside of the New Zone, their home state, to fight the infected or to work as mercenaries in the regions once known as United California.

 

She walks in, never being stopped or questioned by the busy Rangers as she is a common sight here, even if she’s not one of their own. She makes her way to the quartermaster Ace’s setup and greets him.

 

“Erin, it’s good to see you again.” Ace smiles at her, bowing his head from behind the barred inventory.

 

“I got your weapon order to New Industry. They’ll be on their way soon.”

 

“You’re efficient as always.” The smile stays on his face as he scoops out a handful of 5.56 ammo, setting it on the opening in front of him. Erin grabs it and began putting it in her bag. “Some extra food tickets for your timeliness.” He rips a few tickets off the roll, pushing them forward.

 

“Ed here?” Erin asks as she sorts the things into her bag, knowing she’ll have to go through it later.

 

“Should be.” Ace shrugs. 

 

Erin walks away from him toward their scrap dealer, eventually finding him outside his booth. She convinces him to return so she can get her tickets for trade in exchange for the scrap she had picked up along the way. After dealing with him, she moves to the different booths, picking up a new pair of gloves and a few pieces of candy, things that aren’t easy to find in No Man’s Land.

 

“Erin!” Someone calls out to her as she heads for the exit, stashing her newly acquired items into her bag. “Do you have time for drinks?”

 

“Not today, Katie.” She shook her head. “I’ve got a delivery in No Man’s. Don’t have time to drink.”

 

“Next time.”

 

“Next time.” They both confirm plans before Erin leaves the Ranger’s base. She rides along the well up kept roads, stopping at one of the gates between New Zone and No Man’s Land. No matter how many times she has passed through, she has to partake in the same ritual.

 

“Erin Henderson.” She speaks her name for the log. “Infected. Resident of No Man’s Land.” She answers before the guard to even asks.

 

“Stay safe out there.” The man jots the information down before opening the gate for her. She drives through on her way to her next stop.

 

Even just past the gates, No Man’s Land is vastly different from New Zone or any of the other states. Decaying roads, abandoned cars along the way, many residential ghost towns, remnants of quarantine zones formed after the first sign of infection, and small colonies of the remaining life outside the infected roaming around in packs.


Erin arrives at her destination, a small colony surrounded by reinforced walls and makeshift watch towers. The gates are pulled open for her, allowing her in. She pulls the motorcycle to a stop outside a small house, going up to the door to knock.

 

The door is pulled open with a smile by an older lady. “It’s good to see you again, Erin. Come. Come in.” She waves Erin inside.

 

“Thank you, Annie.” Erin pulls her backpack off her back, grabbing out a handful of inhalers. “I bought these for you.”

 

“I don’t have much for you,” Annie puts her head down, “but I do have some educational books my kids outgrew if you want them.”

 

“That would be great.” Erin waits as she leaves and returns with the books in hand. Erin tucks them into her backpack.

 

“Will you stay for dinner? I made shepherd's pie.”

 

Erin smiles at the thought of warm home-cooked food. On the road, she mostly eats canned foods and MREs. “I’d love that.”

 

Erin follows her into the kitchen and to the table. Annie’s two daughters, who Erin had met before, were already at the table. They both greet her with large smiles, one of the girls making a plate for her. Erin and Annie take their seats at the table and began eating.

 

The two chat about their monthly injections and a mother’s fears of them running out eventually. Erin does her best to reassure Annie that it is unlikely that Biotech will stop making them anytime soon, telling her not to worry about it too much. Annie also asks her to deliver a letter up in the Rockies, nearby Erin’s home colony.

 

After they finish eating, Erin thanks her for the food and takes the letter, heading over to the colony’s trading post. She throws her backpack into the counter. Specs, a nickname given to him because of his thick glasses, looks at her with a raised eyebrow. "What'd you get for me this time, Erin?"

 

"I found three cans of just barely expired ravioli."

 

"Three? Shit, you hit the jackpot."

 

"Well, I only have two to trade with you. I couldn't help myself to one of ‘em." She digs through her bag, pulls the two cans out, and sets them on the counter.

 

“What are you looking for in exchange?” Specs picks the can up before shaking it.

“I could use a new pair of boots.”

 

“Check the back.” He nods. “See if you find anything you like and in your size.”

 

After finding a pair of boots that fit, she heads to the small motel in the colony and rents a room. Erin removes her boots and crashes on the bed, instantly falling asleep.


Erin arrives at the Glennwood colony, pulling to a stop as she waits for them to pull the gate open. She waves at them and drives inside, asking around until she is pointed in the direction of the recipient.

 

“Darla?” Erin is now standing at the front desk of a hot spring. Even in the apocalypse, you still need a place to relax.

 

“No, but she’s in the back. I can take you.” The young girl, no more than sixteen, motions for her to follow. Erin follows her past large windows looking out on the pool outside, steam rising off of it. “It’s a hot spring. They’re amazing.”

 

“Sounds nice.” Erin admitted the idea of a hot bath sounded great. “You seem young.” 

 

“It’s my first week on the job. Trying to help support the family, I’m sure you know how it is.”

 

“I do.” Erin sighs. “I do.”

 

“Sometimes, my friends and I sneak out to the other old hot springs outside the colony. You should really check them out. There usually aren’t any infected around, and you look like you can handle yourself if there are.” The girl glances back at her as she stops at the door.

 

“I’m alright. Thank you for the offer.” Erin shakes her head. “I’m too close to home to spend another night away.”

 

“I see. Well, this is where Darla is. I’ll give you two privacy.” The young girl walks past Erin and back to the main lobby. 

 

Erin knocks on the door that says ‘laundry’ before turning the handle. “Darla?” She repeated her question to an older-looking woman, seemingly to be Annie’s age.

 

“That’s me.” She has a laundry basket anchored on her hip.

 

“I’ve got a letter for you.” Erin pulls it from her side pack, holding it out to the woman.

 

“This must be from my sister.” She took the letter from Erin with a large smile.

 

“Annie’s your sister?” Erin looked at her in surprise. She had known Annie for coming on four years, and yet she never knew about any sisters.

 

“She is, indeed.” Darla nods proudly. “She’s my little sister, in fact. I just moved here last year so we could be closer, and I could visit her girls.”

 

“She’s a good woman.” Erin nods.

 

“Well, I don’t want to keep you.” She turns towards the lockers lining the walls. “You got any little ones?” She asks, defeating the purpose of not keeping her any longer.

 

“I have a younger sister. She’s eighteen. She’s got a little girl who’s four and a boy who’s less than a year.” Erin smiles slightly at the thought of her niece and nephew.

 

“I’ve been working on knitting gloves for the kids around here. I’m sure I have a pair that’d fit your little ones.” Darla sets the laundry basket down and walks over to the locker, pulling it open. She pulls out a couple pairs of knitted gloves and hands them to Erin. “Payment for the delivery. I hope it’s enough.”

 

“More than enough.” Erin smiles. “Winter’ll be here before we know it.”


“Erin!” A toddler yells out as she runs towards Erin right after stepping off of her motorcycle.

 

“Bailey!” Erin picks her up, tossing her in the air before hugging her and kissing the top of her head. She runs her fingers through Bailey’s golden blonde hair, which matches her mother’s and her brother’s. They all shared the same blue eyes, too, unlike Erin, who looks nothing like them. “How’s your mommy?”

 

“Sick.” Erin looks over to see Scout wandering over to her. “And mad at Rylan.”

 

“I’ve got something for the both of you.” Erin sets Bailey back down on the ground before pulling out the candy she had gotten, dividing it between them.

 

Bailey runs off to show her mother, while Scout sticks around to hear where Erin has been this time while she was gone. Erin explains to her while they walk to Skye and Erin’s shared house with the kids. It’s cramped, but they make do.

 

“Erin, thank god.” Skye, Erin’s younger sister, coughs. She’s more than happy to see Erin. “Rylan is driving me insane. Please take him.” She holds the baby out to her older sister.

 

Erin takes her backpack off, setting it on the ground before taking the baby. “I was going to take flowers to Lance’s grave. Would you like to come, Scout?”

 

Scout looks down at the floor. Even though she had lost her brother a couple of years ago, it still feels like yesterday he was here taking care of everyone the best he could. She nods. “Yeah. I’ll come.”

 

Erin shifts Rylan on her hip, walking farther into the house to get the baby changed into more suitable clothing for the hike. Erin wraps him in a baby sling before Scout and her set off to the colony’s small graveyard. Once they arrive, Scout stands back, allowing Erin some privacy.

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Lance.” Erin takes a deep breath, wiping some dirt off of the gravestone. “It’s been a little since I last visited. I’ve been busy with jobs from the Rangers. Keeps me busy. Keeps me from thinking about losing you too much. I still miss you every day. I don’t think I ever won’t. I’m doing my best to keep us all together.” Erin knees down. “To keep Skye going even though I know she’s struggling. Scout’s doing well. She’s growing up before our eyes. I’m sure you’re proud of your little sister.” Erin sets down a small bouquet of wildflowers she and Scout had picked along the way. “I need to get back and check on Skye, but I’ll talk to you later.” She stands up from the dirt, staring at the gravestone for a moment before walking away.


Erin mounts the horse, looking over to ensure Scout mounted her own alright. The colony raised a handful of horses, mainly used for transport and moving things but also for hunting. Erin being home meant she was on hunting duty as she was one of the better hunters.

Erin pulls her horse’s head towards the gate and kicks lightly, urging the horse forwards. She and Scout exit the gates atop the horses.

 

“I’m worried about Skye.” Scout speaks up once they were a few meters away from anyone’s earshot. “She’s been sick since you left last time.”

 

“I’m sure she’ll be fine, Scout.” Erin tries to reassure her. Admittedly she hadn’t had time yet to worry about her younger sister. “You don’t need to worry about her, Scout. There are plenty of other things to be concerned about other than just a cold.”

 

“I don’t think it’s a cold, Erin.” Scout shakes her head. “I’ve had a cold before, and she seems sicker than that.”

 

“Perhaps the flu then. There are plenty of sicknesses out there to get.” Erin shrugs, not worried about her sister’s health. She always seemed to have some sort of sickness but had gotten through to pregnancies healthily enough. As long as she doesn’t get pregnant again, Erin isn’t too concerned.

 

“Erin…” Scout looks down at her hands before looking back up at the trail. “I miss Lance.”

 

“I miss him too.” Erin nods sadly. He was the love of her life since Erin had found the place they now call home. “But he’s still out there somewhere watching over us.”

 

“Do you believe in a god, then?” Scout asks innocently enough.

 

“Not sure what I really believe in, Scout. I just like to believe your brother is somewhere where I’ll get to see him again someday.”

 

“I like to believe that too.”

 

“We’re getting close to the hunting grounds. No more talking.” Erin instructs. Scout nods in understanding.

 

They make their way deeper into the forest, stopping at each trap to see if anything is found there. They eventually stop at a filled trap. A rabbit is stuck in it, its back legs caught in the wire trap. Erin dismounts, Scout following after her. 

 

“It’s still alive.” Scout watches the bunny with teary eyes. “We don’t have to kill it.”

 

“We do if we want to eat this winter.” Erin grabs the rabbit behind its head. “All we can do is be thankful this animal’s life keeps us alive.” Scout nods, wiping away her tears as Erin snaps the animal’s neck.


Erin removes the saddle, placing it down on the saddle rack before doing the same with Scout’s horse. The horses eat their grain and hay dinner as the two groom them. They had hunted a couple of deer for the colony and kept the rabbit for their dinner tonight. 

 

“Erin.” Scout peeks her head over the horse’s back. “If we got out of here, got our ticket to Haven, what would we do?”

 

“Start a new life.” Erin smiles slightly. Whenever she had a break, she’d always think about the new life they’d start in Haven. “We’d get a new house, big enough for all of us, with everyone getting their own room.”

 

“What job would you do?” Skye watches her with dreamy eyes.

 

“I don’t know. Probably stay a courier. It’s all I’ve really ever known.” She shrugs. “What about you, Scout? What job would you get?” 

 

“I’d find a space program and go to space!” She exclaims, a wide smile on her face.

 

“Ooh, I’m kinda jealous of your plan.” Erin laughs. “Come on and finish up grooming so we can eat soon.”

 

Scout nods before getting back to her horse. Once they had finished, they let the horses out to pasture. Erin said she was going to start food and would let her know when it was ready, holding the rabbit up. Scout returned to her camper to grab veggies for the dinner, giving them to Erin and helping chop them up. 

 

“You need another haircut.” Erin glances over at Erin as she skins the rabbit. “You’re hair is getting too long.”

 

“I don’t like it when it’s short.” She pouts, chopping the carrots and dumping them into the pot.

 

“You’re also not gonna like when an infected grabs you by the hair.” Erin casually shrugs. “Skye.” Erin looks towards the kitchen table she is sitting at. “You need yours cut too.”

 

“No.” She pouts as well, hating Erin’s haircuts since she didn’t give them as much care as she would for herself. “Next time you come back home. They don’t make me go outside the walls anyways.”

 

Erin takes a deep breath. “Fine, but only you get out of it. Scout still needs one.” Skye sticks her tongue out at Scout.

 

 Once they had finished making dinner, everyone huddled around the kitchen table with mismatched chairs. Bailey sat on Erin’s lap, as they didn’t have two high chairs, and Rylan was in the only one they had.

 

“Erin! I forgot to tell you about my dream!” Scout slams the table, causing Skye to jump. “I had a dream I went to the moon, and then I met aliens. They told me they’d get rid of the virus if I married their handsome prince!” 

 

“And did you?”

 

“Of course! I have to save the world!” Scout states as if it was obvious.

 

“I think you’ve been reading too many comic books.” Erin shakes her head with a smile.

 

“It was the best dream I’ve ever had.” Scout smiles widely. “I’ve always wanted to go to space. When I was a kid, Lance got me a blanket with a bunch of constellations, but when we had to flee the quarantine zone, I had to leave it behind.” The smile fades from her face as she reminisces on her favorite blanket.

 

“When we were younger, our mom used to always buy us princess dresses for Erin and me. Erin always hated wearing them, though.”

 

“I only wore them for mom’s sake.” Erin smiles slightly. “Of all the things we left behind, I’m glad we left them.”


Erin walks up to the bus, scissors in hand, before knocking. Scout jumps off the bunk above the driver’s seat and opens the door. She was already in her starry pajamas, ready for bed. “Come out here.” Erin grabs a stool sitting by the stairs and places it in front of her. She moves out of Scout's way and has her sit in front of her.

 

Scout held a stuffed tiger to her chest her brother had given to her while Erin cut her curly red hair.

 

“It’s safer to have your hair short.” Erin states. She keeps her own black hair chin length to make sure no infected can grab it.

 

“I guess I don’t really care as long as I’m safe.” Scout shrugs weakly. 

 

“It’ll grow back, and if we ever live in Haven, you can have your hair as long as you’d like.” Scout silently nods. “When Skye and I were little girls, our mom set up this camping trip for us in the mountains. She booked it in a month’s advance, but when we got there, we ended up getting snowed in there for a week. Until someone came and rescued us. That was the first time I really had to survive.”

 

“Were you scared?” Scout quietly asks.

 

“Hell yeah!” Erin laughs, causing Scout to laugh as well. “It was terrifying. We had to ration out our food to last that whole week. We were all hungry the whole time, but our mom would give us her portions so we wouldn’t be as hungry.”

 

“You’re a lot like your mom, then.”

 

“That’s what moms have to do. Sacrifice for their kids.”

 

“You’re more of a mom than Skye.” Scout quietly observes.

 

“Skye’s not really cut out to be one.” Erin agrees, shaking her head as she sets the scissors down, now finished with the haircut. She moves forward to hug Scout, resting her chin on top of her head. They stayed like that for a while until Erin almost fell asleep, deciding it was time for bed.


“Erin.” She wakes up to Scout’s voice as she opens the bedroom door. 

 

“I’m up.” She wipes her forehead with the back of her arm.

 

“It’s almost sundown…”

 

“And I need to get the injections.” Erin completes her thought, throwing her legs over the side of the bed. She stands up and pulls her pants on. “I’ll go now.” Erin and Scout walked out of the bedroom and into the living room, where Skye was with the kids. “Skye, can you have dinner ready by the time I’m back?”

 

“No need.” Skye shakes her head. “Europa is having a barbeque again.”

 

“Alright.” Erin nodded. “Cool beans.” She pulls her jacket and boots on, now ready to leave.

 

“Can I come with?” Scout asks with puppy dog eyes.

 

“Only if you wear the helmet.”

 

“Yes!” Scout cheers, running to go grab the helmet.


They pulled up to the spot where the New California Republic caravan is distributing the injections. Erin stops and swings her leg over the bike once Scout had hopped off the back.

 

“Michael Garth. Number: 1133610. I need five.” The man in front of them hands the N.C.R. soldier his card, verifying that is how many people he is picking up for. The man is given a bushel of injections and sent on his way, making it Erin’s turn.

 

“Erin Henderson. Number: 2099510. Thirty-seven.” She repeats the process she has done plenty of times before. She was the fittest in the colony to pick the injections up. This forces her to be home once a month so she can inject and keep from turning. At least, that is what Biotech says is necessary. 

 

“Must’ve had a new baby join your group.” Chance, one of the soldiers, walks over to greet Erin. She knew him by name as he often escorts the caravan to this area.

 

“Baby girl.” Erin nods. “She’s a big healthy one.”

 

“Nice to see you again too, Scout.” He smiles over at Scout as he pulls the injections out of the truck. “You’ve grown taller since the last time I’ve seen you.”

 

“Yeah.” Scout insecurely wraps her arm around herself, looking down at the ground.

 

“I’ve got a job for you, Erin. If you’ve got the time.” Chance speaks again after handing the bag of injections over to Erin.

 

“What is it?” She leans against the truck against her elbow, holding the bag in her other hand.

 

“A private party from L.A. wants to hire some mercenaries in the area, and I know you can handle yourself.” He shrugs.

 

“When and where am I needed?”

 

“Let me write it down.” He grabs out a piece of paper and a pen and writes down the coordinates: 39°46'04.1"N 105°05'22.5"W. “Look for the old hospital building. You’ll wanna be there on Tuesday, so you’ve got a couple of days still.”

 

“Thanks for the tip.” She nods, standing up straight. “I’ve got something on the bike for you. I almost forgot about it.” She walks over to the motorcycle and grabs out a bag of coffee beans. “From Columbia.” She places them in his hands. 

 

Chance smiles widely. “Thank you! Must’ve been to New Zone recently. Only they get the good shit. Oh shit.” He looks at Scout. “I mean stuff!”

 

“I’m old enough to curse.” She crosses her arms, pouting slightly. “I’m twelve now.”

 

“Well, young lady, my bad.” He laughs, looking back over at Erin and holding his fist out. Erin fist-bumps him. “I owe you one.”


Erin has already injected the others, and it was time for her own injection. She hates the feeling of them. Like ice in her veins, ripping through her skin. After injecting, she goes to wash up and heads out to dinner to join everyone else. She takes her spot next to Skye. “The food smells good.”

 

“I’m always thankful for when we get actual beef.” Skye smiles slightly, taking a bite of her corn. Everyone’s plates were full of food, though that wasn’t usual. They only went all out occasionally during their barbeques, celebrating one night of the year. 

 

“Would you like to hold her, Erin?” The new mother was making her rounds around the table, baby in hand.

 

“I’m fine, Grace. Thank you.” She tilts her head to the side slightly, already having her hands full with Rylan, who was in her lap.

 

“I remember when Bailey was just a little one,” one of the older ladies catches Erin’s attention, “she used to cry and cry and cry.”

 

“And cry some more.” Erin smiles. “Rylan is an angel compared.”

 

“No!” Bailey yells out, obviously not liking the comparison. “I’m an angel.”

 

“You are, Bailey.” Erin smiles, running her fingers through Bailey’s hair.

 

Everyone talked amongst themselves, enjoying the nice night and special occasion food. After eating and cleaning up, everyone gathered around a bonfire, where a few of the people started playing instruments and singing. Erin held Rylan, who was asleep, and Scout held Bailey while Skye was off talking to one of the men, obviously flirting with him.

 

“We don’t need another boyfriend in her life.” Erin shakes her head with a small smile.

 

“You mean we don’t need another baby.” Scout corrects her bluntly.

 

“Yeah. I suppose.” She laughs.


 

3