Chapter 15: Pry, part 2
350 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What bloodline did he have, by the way? I’d also like to know yours, since you’re staying with-” the village, “me.”

“Papa didn’t have anything. I have [Earth Slam] and [Rock Skin].” ah, a purple AOE damage dealer. If someone like Linda is fast enough to pull Scarlett’s action before the other team, she could wipe out all their enemies. Given of course that the other party doesn’t have a tank that could negate early damage. No wonder that Sam guy didn’t ditch the girl at the first opportunity, considering he looked like he could barely feed himself properly.

“Can you tell me why your father was so fixated on me?” Marcheline could barely stop herself from leaning in, lest she spook the other girl.

“Papa always said that life is easy for pretty girls.” Scarlett is suddenly earnest, “Said that if he had your face, people would give him things. For free.”

“Is that right?” There’s the scalp tingling sensation again, and Marcheline focuses on the crunch of leaves under Eve’s boots. She must be listening in.

Scarlett nods, “If he was in your place, he’d marry the Crown Prince.”

“Could he? There are a lot of women lining up to be the Princess, you know.” she murmurs.

Scarlett sits up straight, “Of course he could! He’s the smartest person I know! He always knows what’s happening.”

She’s been with that ‘smart’ person for seven months but... Marcheline eyes the girl’s sunken cheeks, the yellow tint to her skin. “What kind of things did he know?”

“L-lots,” Scarlett is flustered, “like the bloodlines of the princes, and h-how to use them correctly. Not just them, the sons of other families too. He said once you enter the academy, you’ll use them and we’ll get anything we want.”

“And… why was he so sure I’d do what you want?” Marcheline isn’t sure when she last blinked, “Do you know what his plans were?”

Scarlett looks at her in confusion, she opens her mouth but she can’t seem to think of anything.

“He…” the girl furrows her brows, probably trying to remember, “he just said it’s about time. When we heard that the Academy representatives are coming here soon, he said that the story starts with you being chosen.”

“He’ll convince you. He’s so smart.” the girl repeats.

The story does start there, doesn’t it? The Academy representatives has that whole spiel about privilege, good and evil, and duty to the Kingdom. Joy of joys, the main character is part of the chosen few, and will start her journey to be the light that would fight the dark forces closing in on humanity.

Marcheline just never thought that someone else could play in her stead.

What could’ve been, she wonders, if she came with her village? If this incident occurred before her passive abilities awakened, would she be defenseless against a possession?

Someone taking over her body.

That’s where all the clues lead, don’t they?

“But you didn’t even know my name.” she whispers. What right did he have, how dare…

“I told you, it doesn't matter.” Scarlett says dismissively, “Commoners can change their name if they’re too- well, common. They encourage it once you enter the Academy, and so your old family won’t bug you once you’re with the nobles in the school.”

She continues, “You’d be like a noble too, in a way, when you’re chosen. And people will just give you things for free anyway, since you’re pretty. Why would you be so selfish and not give us anything? He said ‘Rose’ would suit you.”

Then and there, Marcheline decides that she hates that name. She makes an impulsive decision and takes out the pendants from her Space. For outsiders, she may look like she took them out of her sleeves.

“That’s-” Scarlett gasps.

Everything is speculation, still. Merely circumstantial evidence-

She touches the Winged pendant.

[Log… Event: New Beginnings!]
[Log…]
[Log…]

.

.
.
[Enter Name: Rose von Bueller]
.
.
.
[Rebirth Failed]

All of a sudden, Marcheline is so angry.

She wants to lash out, hurt someone for the terrible possibilities running through her mind, this stupid girl and her ridiculous preumptions—

 

 

‘Chief says you shouldn’t be like that to kids.’

 

 

Marcheline closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. Scarlett may only be a year younger than her, but inside, she’s an adult. Though she doesn’t know how her own developing teenage brain is affecting her as a person, she has memories of being twenty five. Add the seven years she’s been living in this world, and that’s thirty two years of life experience.

She wants to do the good thing, didn’t she say? Marcheline opens her mouth, “Do you know that these are?”

“W-what? That’s Papa’s… give them back!” the girl hops down from her boulder.

“These are demonic symbols.” she says and Scarlett hesitates, her mouth hanging open from the implications, “If the priests see you with these, they’ll think you’re with those monsters.” Demons are their own species. But for commoners— demons, devils and monsters are all the same. The Enemy.

Marcheline continues, “I’ll find a way to get rid of these. Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.”

Scarlett is spooked now. After all, her guardian died while holding said demonic symbols. Marcheline slips the pendants back into her sleeves, into her Space. She reaches out for the girl’s hand.

“I have a skill that might make you feel better. Won’t you form a party with me?”

The girl nods.

A beat, then-

[Status: Plague of Exim]

[Dispelled!]

Scarlett takes a deep breath, “Oh.” There’s not much change, but girl’s eyes become clearer, just a little bit less murky.

16