Chapter 3 – Welcome aboard.
71 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first day of training went on for something like 12 hours. OK, fine, I am exaggerating, but that's what it felt like to me.

Instructor Kida continued to dig deeper into the topics. The next item on his list was the different tiers for investigators and witches.

"Alright, cadets. The rankings for investigators start from junior all the way to senior. To further break it down.

Senior Investigator (five-star rating)

Special Classed Investigator (represented by 4 stars)

Regular Class Investigator (represented by 3 stars)

Associate Investigator (two-star rating)

Junior Investigator (represented by 1 star)"

Oh. So there are five ranks in total, which means moving up in the job may prove extremely difficult.

Although the pay is considerably good for the entry position, I have no complaints here.

I refocused my attention on the instructor who resumed the lesson, after taking a short break.

He scanned the crowd before speaking again.

"Your rank will determine which type of witch you'll be tasked with investigating and eventually eradicating. Witches are broken up into 6 tiers based on their potential strength,

Tier 1: Witches with S-rank strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive abilities.

Tier 2: Witches whose strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive abilities exceed A but fall short of S.

Tier 3: Witches with strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive abilities that exceed B rank but fall short of A rank.

Tier 4: Witches whose strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive abilities are greater than C rank but less than B rank.

Tier 5: Witches whose strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive capabilities exceed D rank but are lower than C rank.

Tier 6: Witches with E or F ranked strength, regeneration, offensive and defensive abilities.

Only tier 1 through 3 have the ability to use magic, so caution is to be advised."

The entire classroom began to murmur when they heard how many tiers of witches there really were out there. I'll admit that this new revelation did concern me quite a bit.

Aviorah, who sat on the left of me, didn't seem too phased at all. It appears she already knew this information before she started.

Instructor Kida cleared his throat in order to regain the attention of the cadets.

*Hem*

Everyone instantly refocused their attention back on him.

Instructor Kida continued, "Some witches may use weapons known as familiars. They can be described as offensive extensions of their bodies. In those cases, some of them take the form of whips, tentacles, wings, and armor, along with many other things. You will have to analyze your opponent before engaging in combat. I've seen countless investigators who get ripped apart and eaten because of the unexpected appearance of a familiar."

Instructor Kida looked around the classroom before continuing once again.

"Please be advised that getting injured by a witch during battle may result in you being unable to fully use your aura, and that will leave your partner vulnerable as well. Due to the fact that their claws are coated in some form of liquid, which temporarily suppresses aura usage. "

Once again, the class started looking around at each other when they heard that.

Getting injured in a fight is inevitable, but knowing that it will most likely cost your life is something you may need to reflect on.

*Creakkkkkkk*

That was the door of the classroom being opened by another person.

In walked, a short female who looked like she was in her mid 20's, wearing a grey trench coat which had 3 stars on the upper arm sleeve. Based on my new knowledge, I concluded that she is a Regular Class Investigator.

She held a black clipboard in her left hand.

Instructor Kida spoke up, in an even louder tone of voice than usual,

"Alright, listen up. The pairs for relics and relic wielders have just been assigned. When you hear your name, along with another person's, that will be your partner from now on."

The female investigator walked up to the podium, and began to read names from a list.

"When you hear your name, please walk down to the stage and remember that partners are chosen based on aura compatibility, along with personality."

Well, this is it. I hope I get a decent enough partner, so we can potentially avoid dying while we're out there.

She then began to call out names.

"Nikko Shibuya and Saya Kiyato."

A tall male with long, dark brown hair stood up and made his way down to the stage. That was the only thing I could visibly make out due to the fact that I could only see the back of him.

He was followed by a female with dark pink, waist-length hair. She had a slender body and I would say her height was roughly about 5'4.

"Jin Tsuda and Ryu Horikiki."

A male of similar height to Nikko stood up. He was seated closer to me, so I could make out his features a lot better.

He had a handsome face, with jet black hair, which he slicked backwards, and piercing black eyes. His body seemed muscular.

I bet he could probably toss me across two rows of chairs.

However, for some reason, I kept getting "I am better than all of you" vibes from him.

Ryu Horikiki soon followed him. She has chin-length blonde hair and blue eyes. I would guesstimate her height to be about 5'6. Her body looks toned, so I'll go with the assumption that she regularly works out, or at least plays some type of sport.

The list of names went on for a while, and I still hadn't heard my name.

The same goes with Aviorah.

I think I see where this is heading now.

After a few minutes, the majority of the names were called, and both of us were left.

The female investigator, quickly approached us and said, "So there was an issue with finding Miss Himeragi a partner."

Aviorah looked at her with a bit of concern on her face and replied, "What seems to be the issue?"

The investigator flashed a nervous smile, "It seems that your aura isn't compatible with anyone else's, so due to that, there isn't anyone who can wield your relic form. Well, that's what we thought, until Mr. Amaya showed up during the very last few minutes of intake. He has the very rare gift of aura neutrality, so he'll be able to wield you. The downside is, both of your personalities may not mesh well."

Aviorah hung her head and said, "Are you sure there isn't anyone else?"

Ouch. For some reason, that actually stung a bit, and yet she calls me a rude person.

"Unfortunately, there isn't, so I am afraid your two choices consist of partnering up with him or forfeiting your chance at being a junior investigator. If you select the second option, Mr. Amaya will be paired with the next available person."

Aviorah scratched her cheek with her left index finger and sighed, "Since you put it like that, I really don't have a choice."

Why is she acting like working with me will be the end of the world for her?

I looked at her and said, "I guess we're going to be partners from now on."

Aviorah ignored me completely, before walking off towards the stage.

I exhaled loudly and followed behind her.

Seriously? What's this lady's issue? We just met like 4 hours ago.

Ah yes, the female mind's workings are a mystery. Even the greatest scientists in the world couldn't figure it out. So who am I to even attempt it?

2