Prologue
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two siblings embraced under the pitter-patter of rain on the terrace of the temple roof; soft sobs wracked the slightly smaller child's body. Adults stood and talked around them, but none of it mattered to the two. The other sibling struggled not to break down and cry--, they had to be strong to protect what was left of their family. 

“It’s okay, I’m here.” They hushed, they squeezed tighter to comfort the shuddering body in their arms. With each breath it was a struggle not to give into the pain thumping from their heart, even as tears welled up they remained adamant. 

“I promise I will always protect you, no matter what happens.” The attempt at a resolute tone wavered slightly, their unspoken fears gnawing away at their consciousness. Thunder rumbled, and the wind blowing through the forest sounded like a haunting song. The world seemed to suffer the same pain, it mourned the loss just as much as the twins. 

One of the women they’d talked to before approached, her look of pity does nothing but trouble the silent twin, being pitiable is something they never wanted. 

“Come now, it’s getting late. Your uncle will be expecting you, he’ll take good care of you two.” The lady's smile inspired no confidence, the twins' parents had never spoken much of said uncle but he was the last family they had. 

With their future uncertain the twins leave the temple, and the fates begin to weave their tangled web. 

 

==================

 

It’s only five years before the promise that was made is broken. There was nothing that could be done about it. With a bruised cheek they watched as the only person they cared about was taken away by another stranger. They wanted to be strong, to show that things would be okay. But all that lingers is a searing pain as they lose the one thing they cared for most. 

Uncle couldn’t even be bothered to properly say goodbye, as soon as the door closes he goes to the fridge once more. Life was greedy they then decided, it hadn’t taken enough so it had to come and rip away all that was left. 

After retreating to the solitude of a room that no longer felt like home, they thought and thought about how to take their revenge on a world that so vehemently rejected their happiness. They finally began to shed tears in silence, clutching at their own body in hopes of finding some sort of comfort in their own warmth. 

For the next week they were haunted by vivid dreams, it ended up getting so bad that they were bedridden with a doctor coming to see them every day. The images that haunted them at night flashed into their head even after they started recovering. 

Come, claim your throne.’ Even after waking up the voice still echoed in their head, they couldn’t keep living in this condition. It was too draining to be anywhere near uncle, as soon as they could they’d leave and never look back. Their promise, they’d live up to it one day. 

 

===========

 

“Captain Okada! There’s a call for you.” Her icy blue eyes darted up from the gun she’d been dismantling, looking hesitantly at the second lieutenant who stood still in. She was frozen in thought for a moment, only so many people called her and none of them had planned with her ahead of time to do so. She snaps up suddenly, taking the phone and glaring at her subordinate who quickly retreats.

“This is Captain Okada Mitsumi, state your name and purpose for calling.”
“Mitsumi dear, it’s me!” The voice is instantly recognizable, it’s Toshi’s adoptive mother who is calling her at this god-forsaken hour. Mitsumi supposes it's not quite so late back home but that doesn’t curb her annoyance. On the other hand, she never called unless it was an emergency.
“Is everything okay Auntie?”
“It’s Toshi, we haven’t seen him for a few weeks now dear. We made a report to the police but they haven’t gotten back to us no matter how many times we call.” Mitsumi’s fingers clenched on the phone, it wasn’t like Toshi to make those two worry. 

“Did he mention anything before he stopped showing up?” 

“He just got a new job with one of those support agencies, the ones for the hunters.” Mitsumi’s blood runs cold, her eyes widened as she thinks back to the reports she’d been getting from the field. Nobody in the public could possibly know these things that had been kept in the dark but Mitsumi knew.  

“I understand, I’m coming home right away. Just stay put auntie.” She doesn’t wait for an answer, hitting the end call button on the satellite phone and staring down at it as she clenches her fist. 

Her heart is muddled, but she stands up with one goal on her mind. She needs to protect Toshi, no matter what it takes.

0