Prologue
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched anxiously down the road waiting for the green light. I looked to the left to see cars crossing between each other. Being 16, I wasn't this nervous about driving by myself, however, I felt a little doubt in myself knowing that I was not the best driver out there. After a few seconds, the cars from the left and right began to slow down as the yellow light turned red, allowing me to go.

 With the turn signal on, I made a left and began to drive down the road, I started to relax for a bit and looked out the window to see the beautiful sun setting over the mountains not too far from where I live. Out of nowhere, a large bang resounded from the street parallel to where I was driving, and when I turned my head to see what it was, the next thing I see is a truck driving across the barrier and directly towards my car.

I had little time to react as the next thing I knew I was being knocked forward into the steering wheel airbag and being tossed everywhere from the car flipping over onto its hood. Everything became blurry for a solid minute as I tried to find my seatbelt, but it was impossible to move from the car seat as I felt an unbearable pain down in my abdomen. I looked downwards since the car was flipped and saw a piece of the truck's shrapnel pierce my chest, causing my entire body to go numb.

I coughed up blood making the pain feel even worse, as drops of blood started to fall down my face. My vision started to get blurry even more, and for a second I could make out the sounds of a siren ringing about on the streets. However, before the paramedics could even arrive, I felt the sudden urge to sleep, even after all my senses told me to stay awake, I closed my eyes to shut out the sounds of sirens wailing.

'Is this it?' I thought to myself. 'Of course, it is, what am I saying.' I said as I tried to sigh however I couldn't feel my voice, nor could I hear myself at all. For a while, I was stuck in this state until I saw a small speck of light approaching me. I reached out towards it, praying that it would mean the afterlife for me. Although I was never a good person, I did do my fair share of good deeds that went unspoken.

But as the small light got closer, it began to take the shape of a butterfly, and it fluttered onto my hand. Before I could even touch it, a sudden flash of images began to take over my mind. I groaned in pain as it gave me one of the most painstaking headaches I've ever had in my life. The images flashed like a slideshow presentation, as each picture went by for only a millisecond. I couldn't make out what I was seeing, however, I saw the figures of humans walking in a long line, as well as fossils and a plant...growing.

However, after a few seconds, the images and the pain in my head began to fade away, and as it did I felt something weird attached to my arm. I reached over with my left to touch whatever was sticking to my arm, and surprisingly I could feel it, despite earlier how I couldn't even feel a thing. My eyes suddenly opened and I found myself looking directly up at the wooden ceiling. Surprised by this, I hadn't realized I was breathing heavily and quickly my heartbeat began to slow down to normal.

For a while, I stared at the dark ceiling wondering where I am, or what happened to me. My thoughts shifted over to the bandages I felt on my arm, so my immediate assumption was that they managed to rescue me from the car wreck. I sat up from where I was lying and took a gander at the room I was situated in, however, I was shocked when I saw everything, from the furniture to the ceiling, damaged beyond the extent. When I looked to the left I saw the entire midsection of the wall destroyed and over the rubble, plants were taking over the entire room.

Wherever I was, this was probably not a hospital, nor did it feel like one, everything felt like middle ages kind of furniture, and even the bandages I had were crudely wrapped around. Despite that, I didn't feel any pain and so I unwrapped them from my arm to reveal that I had no visible scars. 

"What happened?" I asked myself. First I was hit head-on by a semi-truck, then I think I died, and now I'm still alive. What's happening to me? is this a dream? I kept asking these questions however, no such answer would help me in trying to solve my current predicament. I got up from where I was situated and crossed the room to an exit to find a staircase that lead downwards to the first floor. As I walked down, I noticed the interior of the house and I noted to myself how every window was broken, the furniture that was previously there was overturned and damaged, and last but not least I saw the reminiscence of a fire that was burnt out.

I couldn't place my thoughts over it, however, I decided to push past it and move out of this house. I opened the front door to reveal the dark sky that was filled with clouds moving overhead. I looked to my left to see the street damaged with rocks displaced and to my right, a wagon was turned over with a few wheels missing along with a carcass of a horse. I was beyond surprised by this, I stepped back a little to recount my thoughts from earlier.

"Did I go back in time?" I asked myself. That's impossible, it couldn't be. I repeated the same phrase again and again. I've read a lot of fiction books but maybe this situation wasn't so bad I thought to myself. The Main Character dies, and then he's reincarnated into a new world. Surely this wasn't a bad thing. But, now that I'm witnessing this happen before my eyes I was at a loss for words.

Maybe this was a Purgatory or a new world made by God? More questions came than answers. I assumed the best anyway and walked down the street to the left of me since I didn't want to pass by the rotting carcass of a horse. Speaking of which, everything about this place was old, the destroyed wagon, the dead horse, not to mention there wasn't a single powerline as far as the eye could see. Perhaps I did travel back in time, however, that assumption became wrong when I looked down in front of me to see a giant footprint that I had almost tripped inside of.

0