Chapter 68: A Thoughtful Gesture
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the desolate-seeming room, light signifying the hours of activity going on outside crept into the room.

Laid on the hospital bed was Suijin, unmoving despite being perfectly awake and cognitive of what's going on.

'What's the point?'

Move just to feel a sharp pain as traces of air brush against his Nozz—Lack of his nozzle, grazing the now bare flesh.

Shuffle around in his bed just to be reminded of what he lost, just for his overworked brain to tell him of all the ways he won't, all the ways he can't be a hero now?

No, instead he'd rather lay in bed, keeping the same position his body had been set in 13 hours ago.

Hearing the same ticking of the clock that seemed determined to remind him of all the seconds he was wasting away.

With closed eyes and a cognitive mind, the boy didn't even react when the same voice that always brought him comfort entered the room.

"...Suijin"

'Hesitant.' 

She is completely different from her usual vibrant, almost brash personality.

Now she tiptoed around the room as if she were standing on eggshells when talking to her own son.

Another thing that annoyed Suijin was that, like everything else, he resolved to not say anything. Everything was easier when he just didn't say anything.

Hearing the nonresponse from her son, Erena held back all the emotions she had locked away that wanted to burst like a dam right now.

'Enough crying! Suijin needs strong support at this moment; besides, we still have Enkai at home, right?' 

She stifled a weak chuckle at her pun; happiness could wait until her son could indulge in it too.

Instead, she plastered a smile closely reminiscent of her usual one, not that Suijin, who couldn't see her, could tell, and walked over to the curtains.

"Gosh, look at this room! It's much too dark for a patient; guess since nobody's doing anything with it, I'll just have to intrude a bit."

A pause between her words and actions revealed no changes, the same ticking being the only sound audible besides their breaths.

She internally sighed at his nonresponse, yet continued in what she said she would since if he wouldn't take care of himself then she would; she only had about 15 years of doing it so far.

First things first, she opened the blinds with a Shing, the metal circles making the same usual crisp sounds as they slid on the pole.

Bouts of sunlight enough to illuminate the entire area shone through the window, and outside was a view of the entirety of Musutafu, the patronage of UA paying for the entire room.

Next, she watered the plants with sink water, not wanting to wait for the nurses to do it since it was also one of her favorite pastimes.

While she completed morning duties, she engaged in one-sided solo talk about anything, about how they got a new neighbor who doesn't know how to make a proper smoothie, courtesy of Enkai almost choking due to their still being chunks of strawberry in the drink.

About her progress in the new group chat the parents around the area had created so that everyone could gain news pertaining to the abundance of kids.

She informed him of some of Enkai's most recent endeavors, including how he stopped a fire hydrant from bursting by transporting the water through him and making it rain on a cloudless day for about 20 minutes until the firefighters could arrive.

Erena hoped that her banter, reminiscent of their past, would provide at least some form of comfort for Suijin, though his not providing any responses did interfere with such a process.

Regardless, she continued on, not stopping even when she was practically out of activities; instead, it was his nurse coming to inform her that she was ready to consult about Suijin's progress that halted her.

Erena informed the lady that she'd be in the designated room shortly, and once the door was shut, she turned to the TV, planning on battling one of her worst enemies, technology.

Even with her years of experience in Japan, she remained clueless about the intricacies of how to exactly work computers.

Luckily, she was proficient and innovative enough to know how to get to her email, and using her brain, all she had to do was click on her recent email before opening the link she had Enkai send her.

Again, UA showed its numerous perks by allowing the students to have access to a copy of the Sports Festival from an overhead point of view that constantly shifted and with full commentary provided by President Mic and Eraserhead.

But that wasn't what she was opening up; instead, it was a gift, one for Suijin from his dear friend.

As she navigated through the site, Erena explained what she was putting on in the meantime of her absence.

"After you left, Mezo battled Ibara Shiozaki of Class 1B, gaining victory and securing his spot in the final. It was right before that match that he had the idea to do a commentary, a personal one from his direct form to you."

Perhaps it was the tone in which she spoke, giving away the tenderness she felt for Mezo thinking of such an action, but out of the corner of her eye, she caught the slight twitch under the hospital blanket. 

"He communicated the idea to the management department, which provided him the equipment at the price of them wanting an exclusive interview after; thus, while I'm gone, you can enjoy the video of Shoji talking through his final fight with Bakugo."

The video started with a rumbling as the students were fiddling with the small mic, trying to make sure it was working properly.

"Is this on?"

The words were blasted from a computer a few feet away, and after the momentary excitement displayed by the sound, they quickly shuffled Shoji out of what was presumed to be a classroom and onto the stadium.

"Great! Now go; we've already stalled the match by 15 minutes, and if not for Principle Nezu's understanding, you'd have already forfeited the match."

It was clear this person cared for Shoji making the match; whether it be due to them wanting the footage of the fights between #1 and #2 in the sports festival or some genuine concern, their worry was palpable through the audio.

What supposed the loosely (attentively) listening Suijin was the voice that followed, one he'd both never wanted to hear again due to shame and one that he longed to hear.

"Thank You."

Others may not be able to tell, but Suijin sensed the genuine relief that Shoji transmitted through the two words.

Nothing else but the rapid flowing of wind could be heard as Shoji sprinted to the stadium, his arrival through the corridors and into the light causing a wave of cheers at the crowd finally seeing their other finalist.

The video started from that point, and Suijin got a clear view.

There was Shoji, who he could tell looked haggard, and Bakugo, who was currently being…broody, but more than in general.

Regardless, the narrating words from above shed light on the entire situation,

[HERE WE HAVE IT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. TWO BOYS WHO'VE GONE THROUGH SO MUCH, SURVIVED ENCOUNTER AFTER ENCOUNTER, BATTLE AFTER BATTLE, ALL TO REACH THIS MOMENT, ALL TO CLAIM THE TITLE OF THE NUMBER ONE!!!! WHO WILL WIN, WHO WILL LOSE, ALL THAT WILL BE DECIDED IN THIS MATCH, A BATTLE FOR THE AGES, AN OUTCOME WHERE ONLY ONE CAN STAND TALL AND PROUD. THIS IS THE FINAL BATTLE OF THE UA SPORTS FESTIVAL.]

Bakugo and Shoji, Heroes son vs. delinquent, Number one on the entrance exam vs. another average performer.

Suijin saw how the two boys had narrowed their eyes and how their gaze was assessing and determining the strengths and weaknesses of their opponent. Clearly, the battle for the two had long begun.

Watching in ultra-high quality at their positions, positions that should've, would've, could've been his...He tried not to let his green take over him, don't covet what's not yours, and the like.

But even as Suijin forced himself upright and forced his eyes to remain open, not willing to blink for a moment at the screen, he couldn't help the tears of regret that unwillingly flowed down his face.

His blurry vision temporarily caused him to miss the movement of Shoji's lips, and the wordless words that were only meant for one person slipped by that person in question.

Shoji's mouth contorted as he wordlessly spoke, 'For Suijin.'

0